Backlight switching program

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

fordlltwm
Padawan Learner

Backlight switching program

Post by fordlltwm »

I've recently got a new laptop, which is quite nice, but misses one feature I used a lot on my previous one. My previous samsung r530 had a function key to turn the backlight off, until you pressed it again or closed and opened the screen. My new laptop sadly doesn't. Having windows turn off the display doesn't quite do the same as it turns it back on again if you touch the mouse / keyboard / volume controls. Which if you're listening to music at night and just want to adjust the volume is a bit of pain. The old fn + f4 shortcut was better because the backlight stayed off until you turned it back on. Anyone know if there's a program that manages this? Most seem to use the windows turn display off method, which relight the second you disturb it.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Re: Backlight switching program

Post by Executor32 »

The Fn+F4 shortcut on your old laptop wasn't actually for turning off the backlight per se, but rather for switching between the built-in display and an external one. It just appeared to have that effect because it would still 'switch' to the external display even if you didn't actually have one connected. What's your current laptop? It might still have a similar function.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
fordlltwm
Padawan Learner

Post by fordlltwm »

Sorry yes, FN+F4 is the external display shortcut, looking at the old laptop. The backlight is FN+F5 and picture is of a sun, half black half white.

http://support-us.samsung.com/cyber/pop ... modelcode=&

Samsung guide for the old R530.

My new Samsung Notebook 7 Spin doesn't seem to have the same shortcut.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Newer laptops are much more intelligent about knowing if there's a monitor hooked up or not. If it doesn't detect one, they will automatically go back to the integrated screen. But this also has to do with many non-VGA connection being dual-direction, so the hardware actually knows if there's something there or not. Under Power Options, you could try setting your laptop "when lid closed" do "do nothing."

This would make accessing the controls require you to open the laptop lid, but you could also spring for one of those cheap multimedia keyboard.

You might be able to abuse the "connect to a Projector" option in display, as it tends to be "less smart" about this, but I've never used it for what you're trying.
fordlltwm
Padawan Learner

Post by fordlltwm »

Yeah, I might find a old multimedia keyboard and then use that with the lid closed. just the old backlight switch was quite handy.

Ah well, if that's the worst I can find wrong with it then it's pretty good.