Program or website that enables writing text into pstsllel columns? (not excel)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

lGrand Anhoop
Youngling

Program or website that enables writing text into pstsllel columns? (not excel)

Post by lGrand Anhoop »

I don't really like Excel for thsi because of some formatting issues, though I guess it could do if nothing else is found:

Basically I've got a large piece of text that covers multiple subjects scattered across it - the same subjects come up repeatedly and there's lots of self-references etc.:

So I was thinking to "distribute" this piece of text among several parallel columns - the columns would be dedicated to a particular subject and I could scroll through it without missing any relevant excerpt about said subject.

I'd just prefer the columns to resemble Word, rather than the stretchy text cells in Excel.

So is there some kind of program that can do that type of thing? Or a website (not unlike a Russian Keyboard one) with some kind of multi-column text field(s)/template where you can type into?
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Re: Program or website that enables writing text into pstsllel columns? (not excel)

Post by madd0ct0r »

Set word to landscape. Set number of columns to five.

Or create a table in word five cells per row and type into thar
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
lGrand Anhoop
Youngling

Re: Program or website that enables writing text into pstsllel columns? (not excel)

Post by lGrand Anhoop »

Is that still possible in Word 2003?

Also I'd need a lot more than 5 columns....
Feil
Jedi Council Member

Post by Feil »

Most major word processors handle multiple columns perfectly fine, and have since well before Word 2003. Although why you would use a 13-year-old word processor when OpenOffice exists and is free, I don't know.

If you use a word processor, you'll have to use some variety of Insert Manual Break -> (Column Break) through the UI to keep your text from bleeding from column to column.

You can also do columns pretty easily in LaTeX if you want the level of control granted by a code-based typesetting program, but that's probably major overkill for what you have in mind.