The depressing video game music awards!!!

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Crossroads Inc.
Emperor's Hand

The depressing video game music awards!!!

Post by Crossroads Inc. »

So....
Many video games are known for their music.
mostly for great inspirational or uplifting pieces.
Dragon Warrior.
Chrono Trigger.
Final Fantasy.
Undertale...

But, What on the oppiside side?
Those music pieces from video games, that upon hearing, just feel like they crush your soul?
This isn;t about "bad" music, but just video game pieces that have a chilling mood enhancing knife to the heart type feelings.
Praying is another way of doing nothing helpful
"Congratulations, you get a cookie. You almost got a fundamental English word correct." Pick
"Outlaw star has spaceships that punch eachother" Joviwan
Read "Tales From The Crossroads"!
Read "One Wrong Turn"!
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Re: The depressing video game music awards!!!

Post by OmegaChief »

I don't know if it counts as game music, but the Adagio of Strings used in Homeworld stands out for me.

Though it's use first mission manages to be hopeful and optimistic, it then dips into horrible depression on your return and then maybe back up to hope for the final mission
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Your list of games easily qualifies in both areas. Uematsu is pretty hard to beat. Lost Odessy had a couple moments that almost wrecked me. I think the one thing holding me back was Cooke's VA being the same one who does one of the Orphans from Futurama (also, other things). But the music was stellar all throughout that game.

Parting Forever
A Sign of Hope - More bittersweet than actually depressing. But I think it's a better song.

You going to mention Chrono Trigger, might as well do it right:

But yea, Uematsu. I want to punch that guy sometimes for being so good.

Name a Final Fantasy and it's got some song in there that's just depressing as Hell. Even some of the stuff from outlier games:

Also, two songs that are great in their similarities and differences.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

OmegaChief wrote:I don't know if it counts as game music, but the Adagio of Strings used in Homeworld stands out for me.

Though it's use first mission manages to be hopeful and optimistic, it then dips into horrible depression on your return and then maybe back up to hope for the final mission
So very much this. That piece, and the dialogue is soul crushing. "Kharak is burning."
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

A lot of soul crushing or depressing music in games depends on the moment the music is played. For 2 WoW examples the later part of the Wrathgate cinematic not the bombastic piece when you march to the gate but the part that plays when the dragons swoop in and torch the Place, also the music that plays at end of the Broken Shore event when alliance/horde ship is leaving both convey the sense of "utter failure and loss of hope" well.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Bernkastel
Padawan Learner

Post by Bernkastel »

Here are a couple of sad pieces of music from the Zero Escape series.

Morphogenetic Sorrow
Blue Bird Lamentation
My Fanfics - I write gay fanfics. Reviews/Feedback will always be greatly appreciated.
My Ko-Fi Page - Currently Seeking Aid with moving home
Iroscato
Jedi Council Member

Post by Iroscato »

Having recently completed the Mass Effect trilogy and subsequently trying desperately to find something to fill the void it left in my soul after I was finished, these two cut me particularly deeply in the feels.

Say what you will about ME3 and its ending (which I personally did not mind), the music was taken to a new level of extraordinary...

The feeling of losing a fight before it's already begun, watching your home burn and your people suffer, and knowing it'll be a long damn time before you can do anything to even slow it down, let alone stop it. And the way the title "MASS EFFECT 3" dropped right on the last note...spine-chilling stuff.

Similar to Leaving Earth but with a more bittersweet edge. Left me feeling relieved at finally ending the war, but devastated at what it had taken to get this far.
Yeah, I've always taken the subtext of the Birther movement to be, "The rules don't count here! This is different! HE'S BLACK! BLACK, I SAY! ARE YOU ALL BLIND!?

- Raw Shark

Destiny and fate are for those too weak to forge their own futures. Where we are 'supposed' to be is irrelevent.

- SirNitram (RIP)
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

Trapped in a Hell dimension...
Surrounded by creatures of pure darkness, which you have no concept about...
No way to return home...
(And possibly stuck in there for like, a decade at this point)
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

TheFeniX wrote: You going to mention Chrono Trigger, might as well do it right:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KntnrMLDLA[youtube]
To add...