Quick Win10 question

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Quick Win10 question

Post by Lord Revan »

I'm still kind of wary of Windows 10, so will it be dangerous for me to simply ignore the free update offer or can safely do so (FYI:I'm using win 8.1 atm fully updated with latest safety updates of course).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Re: Quick Win10 question

Post by Elheru Aran »

IIRC it's perfectly fine to ignore the free update. If you have 8, they'll keep updating it for a while, they only just stopped updating 7 as a regular thing but they'll continue supporting it till 2020. The only downside is that you won't be able to get the free update after the 29th of this month, but I don't give a shit about that.

I suppose if you were a smart enough geek, you *could* somehow manage to download the update without it installing, maybe to a external HD or something, and install it later when you want to. Not sure that would fly though.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Elheru Aran wrote:IIRC it's perfectly fine to ignore the free update. If you have 8, they'll keep updating it for a while, they only just stopped updating 7 as a regular thing but they'll continue supporting it till 2020. The only downside is that you won't be able to get the free update after the 29th of this month, but I don't give a shit about that.

I suppose if you were a smart enough geek, you *could* somehow manage to download the update without it installing, maybe to a external HD or something, and install it later when you want to. Not sure that would fly though.
when it comes to computers only thing geeky about me is that I'm fat and need glasses, I don't even have a neckbeard (a nice goatee sure but no beard on my neck) :wink:
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

To my mind, unless you intend to cease using Windows entirely, you're better off upgrading now than in a few years when they stop patching 8.1 and expect you to pay $100 for the privilege.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

I'm debating the same thing myself. I'm actually thinking of not upgrading on the simple grounds that my PC is over 4 years old anyway and I'm soon going to start trying to save up to replace it with a new one... which will likely have Win10 already. I'm leery of some of the slight issues my brother has had with his computer since upgrading (we have the same model) and if I'll suffer the same and be unable to restore to Windows 7 properly.
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

As far as I'm concerned, if you're accustomed to your current OS and your computer is reasonably compatible with whatever you run on a regular basis, there's no real need to bother upgrading. I ran a XP computer for something like eight years, and I bought it right at the end of XP being the active Windows OS (~2004). When I bought a replacement, it was 7, and 8 came out immediately afterwards. They didn't do the free replacement OS thing then, and thank fuck because 8 was a piece of shit. I'm probably going to keep on using this 7 computer until it falls apart because so far, so good.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

If you're comfortable with 8 or 8.1, upgrade. It's a far better experience. If you're on Windows 7 and actively using the internet, upgrade for security reasons.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |