Anybody else feel paranoid about the "Major Windows 10 Update" in August?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

AMX
Jedi Knight

Anybody else feel paranoid about the "Major Windows 10 Update" in August?

Post by AMX »

So Microsoft has announced they are going to publish a major update for Windows 10 - on August 2nd, right after the free upgrade period ends.

Best case, this is a money-grab - the update is good and useful and will convince people to switch to 10... and M$ wants to make sure the suckers pay full price.

But I can't help feeling it'll actually be full of anti-consumer bullshit, and they delayed it until August because they know people will just stop updating once they see how bad it is.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Re: Anybody else feel paranoid about the "Major Windows 10 Update" in August?

Post by Vendetta »

It's just a build update like 10587 was. It's got the linux-on-windows stuff in and they changed the UAC prompt a bit.

You can download it now if you're on the preview ring.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Yeah, I've got the AR-15's and Kool Aid waiting for when Bill Gates leads a SEAL raid on my house.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

Flagg wrote:Yeah, I've got the AR-15's and Kool Aid waiting for when Bill Gates leads a SEAL raid on my house.
LOL
Not quite what I was thinking :mrgreen:
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

AMX wrote:
Flagg wrote:Yeah, I've got the AR-15's and Kool Aid waiting for when Bill Gates leads a SEAL raid on my house.
LOL
Not quite what I was thinking :mrgreen:
You can never be too Jonestown! :lol:
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

Vendetta wrote:It's just a build update like 10587 was. It's got the linux-on-windows stuff in and they changed the UAC prompt a bit.

You can download it now if you're on the preview ring.
There's a bunch of other internal changes under the hood, some Xbox Music and Xbox Games changes and other misc stuff. I'm running the preview builds for the last year and I haven't felt any large changes except serious start menu improvements (better UI and performance).
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

It's actually a bit funny that people start suspecting windows updates now. Does Microsoft have a track records of being sneaky with Windows versions that somebody already brought?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

Ace Pace wrote:Xbox Games changes
Specifically?
I only know that as "the part I don't use, am not allowed to uninstall, and has a function to record what I'm doing"
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

AMX wrote:
Ace Pace wrote:Xbox Games changes
Specifically?
I only know that as "the part I don't use, am not allowed to uninstall, and has a function to record what I'm doing"
Better integration into other games (and with Steam), better recording abilities and serious integration between Xbox One and Windows 10.

Re: Screen recording. Every OS that lets you record the screen (Windows starting from 7, OS X since whenever) can record your screen at any time. Infact, to be more precise, the OS can record your screen at any time it wants, since it's drawing it.
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

Ace Pace wrote:Infact, to be more precise, the OS can record your screen at any time it wants, since it's drawing it.
Please, you know perfectly well that creating a useable recording requires a tiny little bit of extra code.
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

AMX wrote:
Ace Pace wrote:Infact, to be more precise, the OS can record your screen at any time it wants, since it's drawing it.
Please, you know perfectly well that creating a useable recording requires a tiny little bit of extra code.
True and this code has been pretty much part of the OS for years.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Another feature no one's touched on yet is that if you upgraded from 7/8, the digital entitlement license you got from the upgrade will be tied to your Microsoft account (whether you're signed into it already or do so after the update is installed, doesn't matter), so there'll be no more calling Microsoft and jumping through hoops to reactivate Windows after a major hardware replacement. You could even build a new PC and install a fresh copy of 10 on it, and all you'd have to do to activate it is sign in with your Microsoft account.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
AMX
Jedi Knight

Post by AMX »

Executor32 wrote:Another feature no one's touched on yet is that if you upgraded from 7/8, the digital entitlement license you got from the upgrade will be tied to your Microsoft account (whether you're signed into it already or do so after the update is installed, doesn't matter), so there'll be no more calling Microsoft and jumping through hoops to reactivate Windows after a major hardware replacement. You could even build a new PC and install a fresh copy of 10 on it, and all you'd have to do to activate it is sign in with your Microsoft account.
So if I give my computer away, they need a new license because the old one is linked to me, personally?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Yeah, but you won't need a new license for the computer you get to replace that one.