Opinions on Lastpass password manager

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Opinions on Lastpass password manager

Post by Borgholio »

With all the historically huge password and data breaches lately, I've been looking at a password manager to finally get my myriad of passwords and user logins in order. All the big websites such as PCMag, Cnet, and Zdnet rank Lastpass at the top of their list. For only 12 bucks a year I can have my passwords managed on my PC and all mobile devices. It looks like a good deal. Has anybody else any experience with Lastpass? Any other services that you would suggest instead? Thanks!
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Re: Opinions on Lastpass password manager

Post by Simon_Jester »

I personally prefer to store as much as possible in my brain, which strikes me as considerably more secure...
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I would agree, but having different passwords for hundreds of different sites, each of which needing to be 12 - 16 characters long...my brain is shivering at that idea.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Frankly... you could just write them down on a piece of paper. Admittedly there are problems to that (including losing the piece of paper) but 99% of hackers aren't going to visit your house and rifle through your desk. Or if this is at work, ask your work IT what they recommend.

Apart from that, I haven't heard anything much wrong about Lastpass. There are a few extensions and such for your browser of choice that'll do much the same thing. I don't know that much about password managers so I would just google something like 'review best password manager' or whatever.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Borgholio wrote:I would agree, but having different passwords for hundreds of different sites, each of which needing to be 12 - 16 characters long...my brain is shivering at that idea.
Most of my logins are for sites that I don't really care if they get compromised or not. So all of those sites share the same password because giving them all the same password and risking them all being compromised at once is more convenient for me than giving them all separate passwords.

That leaves about 10 sites that really matter. Those passwords are all unique.