Scan lines on half of LED monitor

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

paladin
Jedi Master

Scan lines on half of LED monitor

Post by paladin »

After playing GTA 5, I noticed that the left half of my LED monitor had scan lines similar to a CRT monitor on the left half of the screen. Also, the left have had a reddish twinge.

My video card is an EVGA ACX 2 Geforce GTX 950. The monitor is an Acer H236HL.

I did some research and found that the problem could be related to the monitor becoming too warm.

Any ideas would be appreciated.
"Single-minded persistence in the face of futility is what humanity does best." Tim Ferguson
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: Scan lines on half of LED monitor

Post by TheFeniX »

Is the problem persistent? Do the lines show up all the time? If you're worried about your monitor overheating, point a fan at whatever side has vent-holes(slots) and turn it on high.

If so: Do you have another computer you can test the monitor on? The output from your GPU may be damaged. If the monitor has the lines no matter what: then it's obviously defective. Looking on Amazon I found this
The end result was half the screen looking dim and colors being off as well as horizontal scan lines visible going down the screen. With that, the red sub-pixels of every other horizontal line of pixels seems to be stuck(or really slow); anything solid red shows up as striped and while a dark background is present, you can see a red shadow of what used to be on the screen.

The problems are strictly hardware related, they are present regardless of the computer, the input, and the monitor settings and config.

I filled out the Acer RMA form online and have been waiting for someone for a reply (as of September 24th, I'm still waiting).
Does this sound like your problem?

If the distortion is intermittent, artifacts like this can be an issue with your video card overheating. I recommend downloading something like GPUTest and stress testing your video card. 80C at load is about as high as your realistically should be, but Nvidias do go higher than that. If you're hitting around 90C, that's pretty much the redline. Don't let the stress test take it much higher than that. If your monitor is displaying some garbage as your GPU is stressed, then you need to work on your PC cooling.
paladin
Jedi Master

Post by paladin »

The problem described on Amazon is very similar to mine. I'm also noticing an after image on the left side of the screen.
TheFeniX wrote:Is the problem persistent? Do the lines show up all the time? If you're worried about your monitor overheating, point a fan at whatever side has vent-holes(slots) and turn it on high.

If so: Do you have another computer you can test the monitor on? The output from your GPU may be damaged. If the monitor has the lines no matter what: then it's obviously defective. Looking on Amazon I found this
The end result was half the screen looking dim and colors being off as well as horizontal scan lines visible going down the screen. With that, the red sub-pixels of every other horizontal line of pixels seems to be stuck(or really slow); anything solid red shows up as striped and while a dark background is present, you can see a red shadow of what used to be on the screen.

The problems are strictly hardware related, they are present regardless of the computer, the input, and the monitor settings and config.

I filled out the Acer RMA form online and have been waiting for someone for a reply (as of September 24th, I'm still waiting).
Does this sound like your problem?

If the distortion is intermittent, artifacts like this can be an issue with your video card overheating. I recommend downloading something like GPUTest and stress testing your video card. 80C at load is about as high as your realistically should be, but Nvidias do go higher than that. If you're hitting around 90C, that's pretty much the redline. Don't let the stress test take it much higher than that. If your monitor is displaying some garbage as your GPU is stressed, then you need to work on your PC cooling.
"Single-minded persistence in the face of futility is what humanity does best." Tim Ferguson
Jaepheth
Jedi Master

Post by Jaepheth »

Could simply be hardware.

I had an ACER laptop with this issue that was due to wonky connections to the LCD panel; a slight pressure to the bezel would temporarily fix it. Luckily I was able to send it in under warranty.
Children of the Ancients
I'm sorry, but the number you have dialed is imaginary. Please rotate the phone by 90 degrees and try again.