I need co-op with huge mech explosions.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

I need co-op with huge mech explosions.

Post by TheFeniX »

Chromehounds is dead and the world is poorer for it. FROM Software will continue to beat Dork Souls to death, so CH2 ain't happening. Armored Core is still flopping around on consoles and is only 2-player co-op from what I've read.

War for Cybertron is in the same boat as Cod: WaW in that Co-op for PC is busted because Activision can kiss my ass.

MWO seems to still be all about PvP TDM and TBO. That's out. Living Legends seems like BF2142 with BTech assets. I think everything is free, so it might be worth a shot, but pretty sure it's just another TBO shooter.

The only thing I can find is a co-op mod for Mechwarrior 4, but that game is 16 years old (still looks good for it's age though) and dealing with hardcopies would be a hard sell. Man, getting my buddies to mod Neverwinter was such a bitch, I could only imagine it with a game even older.

Isometric is out. I want a 1st/3rd person and there just doesn't seem to be anything.

So, I basically want Chromehounds 2 and, unless someone throws me a hail-mary I missed, I think I'm SOL.

Time for more Warhammer: Tides of Left 4 Dead I guess.
The Vortex Empire
Jedi Council Member

Re: I need co-op with huge mech explosions.

Post by The Vortex Empire »

The death of Chromehounds was a sad day. Morskoj for life.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Whoa whoa god damn WHOA. Why did no one tell me about MAV? and why did nothing show up on my searches? I know it's early access, but isn't anything good these days? Has anyone tried this out? It's basically Chromehounds, but seems to have a "persistent co-op campaign" which I hope means what I think it means. Official Site. I need to look into this more. Seems to require server hosting, which I've got, but I don't want something half-baked, even if it is only $20.

Here. Have some music:
Damaramu
Jedi Master

Post by Damaramu »

Have you tried Hawken? It's out on PC and was announced for PS4 and XB1 at E3...

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

hrrrrrmmmmmm.......F2P. Although the wiki states
Hawken generates revenue from in-game purchases using credits that have been purchased by the player. These credits can be purchased in packages, ranging from $5 to $100. Once purchased, the player can spend these credits to unlock weapons or items early, to apply XP or HC (Hawken credits) boosters which doubles the amount generated, or can be used to unlock in-game cosmetics, and avatars.

The game avoids the "pay-to-win" scenario by implementing a "pay-to-not-grind" type system, and balance that favours and relies more on player skill instead of game mechanics. The only aspect of the game that cannot be unlocked without paying money are the cosmetics—i.e. player avatars and mech appearances. In addition, it's not necessarily needed to unlock all items and weapons to excel in the game; player skill and previous experience in FPS games are largely responsible for winning. Positioning, team strategy, timing, aim, and implementing a forward-thinking approach are crucial for surviving and defeating the enemy.
So it could be in the same vein as Warframe, which I don't mind. Thanks, I'll look into giving this a shot.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

HAWKEN is a bust. The only co-op mode is an arena match with 4 players (it auto-filles with bots) with boss waves at multiples of 5. It's fun as a diversion, but we only went to wave 15 until we got bored. And judging from the amount of XP and resources we got, we'd have to spend days farming that mode just to unlock some of the basic mechs..... just to do the same gametype with those mechs.

Mechanically, the game is an FPS with mechs. It controls really well and I like the concept, but it feels like an arcade game more than something like Chromehounds or Mechwarrior. Think MechAssault with no 3rd person. And that game also only had an Arena co-op mode.

Thanks for tip though. Maybe they'll add more in the future.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Look into a soon-to-be Greenlight game called "Override". You play as a giant robot with your friends in a destructible city where the challenge lies in the fact that each of you control different systems on the same robot, a-la Voltron.

Could be a bust though, and it isn't even out yet.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I laughed at the "Giant Enemy Crab" line from the trailer. Looks.... interesting? I mean, I like Archon Mode in SC2 and Cho'Gall in Heroes of the Storm is hilarious to play as, but this seems like it would be an exercise in frustration.

Definitely worth a look if there's ever a demo released even if I am looking for more Mechwarrior/Chromehounds than.... whatever the Hell that is. It's not even Zone of the Enders CRAZY ANIME stuff. Either way, thanks for the heads-up.
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

I don't honestly think the game you want exists just now. When I want coop explosion and stomping, the farthest I get is Helldivers, which isn't what you wanted. Otherwise, you'll have to wait for M.A.V. to launch and pray an indie team can deliver.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

The more I look into it, the more you're right. I really just want Chromehounds 2.0 and MAV seems to be in that vein, but I've dumped a lot of money on early-access shit and I'm just getting tired of it. It really chaps my ass Chromehounds was 360 exclusive because, if it wasn't, you know someone would have hacked together a new server backend for it.

Then again, last night JS was like "Hey, I want to give WoW a shot again" and my blood pressure fucking skyrocketed. Sweet Jesus.....
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I'm surprised nobody mentioned Iron Brigade yet.

It's not very deep mech fighting but pretty fun, it's more of a tower defense game where you can play as mechs. You can customize your look, switching between tower-defense focus or just shooting shit.

Intro with first level gameplay

It's a simple but fun game, with some good humor in-between levels. I think it's pretty cheap right now, even if it requires a windows live account.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Zixinus wrote:tower defense game
windows live account.
Did... did I wrong you in a previous life? If so, I apologize profusely.

Seriously though: I appreciate the find, really do. But that's not really up the same alley. Damned if you can't spot a Double Fine game from a mile away though.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

I figured you were going for more in-depth sims but I thought I'd drop it in the thread anyway.
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Sorry man, was just busting your chops. But it made me flashback to a comment I had to make to JS a few years back:
"I found another game I want to try out."
"I swear before God and Heaven, if it's one more fucking F2P tower-defense game or Torchlight clone, I'm going to ban you from Teamspeak."
"..... So, Starcraft 2 Arcade?"
"Starcraft 2 Arcade it is."

The best one was from Tan though.
::Huge bong (I assume) hit:: (In between spattered fits of coughing): "GDammit! No more zombies. I'm fucking tired of zombies."
"Man, I gotta go with Tan on this one. Early Access seems to be more 'Zombie Access'."
"You aren't clever FeniX."
"Shut up Meg."