The Feinstein-Burr anti-encryption bill would actually outlaw JPEGs

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

The Feinstein-Burr anti-encryption bill would actually outlaw JPEGs

Post by Dominus Atheos »

I saw this on Slashdot...
US Anti-Encryption Law Is So 'Braindead' It Will Outlaw File Compression

...and thought "no one could possibly be that stupid", so I checked the original bill...and it would totally outlaw jpegs:
4 (a) REQUIREMENT.—
5 (1) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other
6 provision of law and except as provided in paragraph
7 (2), a covered entity that receives a court order from
8 a government for information or data shall—
9 (A) provide such information or data to
10 such government in an intelligible format; or
11 (B) provide such technical assistance as is
12 necessary to obtain such information or data in
13 an intelligible format or to achieve the purpose
14 of the court order.

1 (10) INTELLIGIBLE.—The term ‘‘intelligible’’,
2 with respect to information or data, means—
3 (A) the information or data has never been
4 encrypted, enciphered, encoded, modulated, or
5 obfuscated; or
6 (B) the information or data has been
7 encrypted, enciphered, encoded, modulated, or
8 obfuscated and then decrypted, deciphered, de-
9 coded, demodulated, or deobfuscated to its
10 original form.
So JPEG, H.264, MP3, and all other "lossy" file compression would be illegal since they are a type of "encoding" and it's impossible to get it back to it's original form.

https://yro.slashdot.org/story/16/04/15 ... edium=feed
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Re: The Feinstein-Burr anti-encryption bill would actually outlaw JPEGs

Post by Joun_Lord »

Well I guess I shouldn't surprised fucking Feinstein is making yet another bill dealing with shit she clearly has no fucking expertise in or even clue how it works. I guessing encryption and encoding are just scary words like bayonet lug and heat shield that need banned because they are SCARY!!!!!!!!!
Gerald Tarrant
Jedi Knight

Post by Gerald Tarrant »

Dominus Atheos wrote:I saw this on Slashdot...

So JPEG, H.264, MP3, and all other "lossy" file compression would be illegal since they are a type of "encoding" and it's impossible to get it back to it's original form.
The way I'm reading it companies need to provide a way to decode information, when they get a court order.
The Law wrote: 7 (2), a covered entity that receives a court order from

14 of the court order.
It's certainly possible that someone could seek a warrant to "clean up" (or restore to original) some of the lossy compression algorithms. But I don't think this law is aimed that way. I think this is mostly aimed at dealing with the implications of the Apple encryption thing. Although if you give prosecutors extra tools they'll often abuse them. I'd say the worst case would be some prosecutor using this to force its inventors to "break" RSA, and then file for penalties when they say it's impossible. I think it's a bad law but not for the JPEG thing, since I doubt someone is going to try to get a court order to go from JPEG back to Bitmap.
The rain it falls on all alike
Upon the just and unjust fella'
But more upon the just one for
The Unjust hath the Just's Umbrella
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Gerald Tarrant wrote:
Dominus Atheos wrote:I saw this on Slashdot...

The way I'm reading it companies need to provide a way to decode information, when they get a court order.
The bill also outlaws unbreakable encryption. I didn't quote the entire bill, the relevant section is:
10 (c) LICENSE DISTRIBUTORS.—A provider of remote
11 computing service or electronic communication service to
12 the public that distributes licenses for products, services,
13 applications, or software of or by a covered entity shall
14 ensure that any such products, services, applications, or
15 software distributed by such person be capable of com-
16 plying with subsection (a).
Since it's impossible to "ensure that any such products, services, applications, or software distributed by such person be capable of" unencoding jpgs, all such compression software would be illegal.
The Law wrote: 7 (2), a covered entity that receives a court order from

14 of the court order.
It's certainly possible that someone could seek a warrant to "clean up" (or restore to original) some of the lossy compression algorithms. But I don't think this law is aimed that way. I think this is mostly aimed at dealing with the implications of the Apple encryption thing. Although if you give prosecutors extra tools they'll often abuse them. I'd say the worst case would be some prosecutor using this to force its inventors to "break" RSA, and then file for penalties when they say it's impossible. I think it's a bad law but not for the JPEG thing, since I doubt someone is going to try to get a court order to go from JPEG back to Bitmap.
Obviously it wasn't intended to cover jpgs, but the way the bill is written, it does cover them.

Direct link to the bill.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Forget JPEG. It is an obsolete file format only used by luddites who fail to grasp the glory of the Portable Network Graphic! If you want to panic about a lossy compression format worry about MP3, MP4, MPEG and everything else that the internet runs on.

Before you start screaming yes. I absolutely do not actually believe JPEG is useless, obsolete or anything. And I am fully aware of tiny facts such as that MPEG is JPEG just in a movie. That part was there for dramatic effect.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
SpottedKitty
Jedi Master

Post by SpottedKitty »

Gerald Tarrant wrote:It's certainly possible that someone could seek a warrant to "clean up" (or restore to original) some of the lossy compression algorithms. But I don't think this law is aimed that way.
Maybe so, but what's preventing someone from trying? I've heard of weirder and worse attempts to legislate the laws of physics and maths.
Gerald Tarrant wrote:I think it's a bad law but not for the JPEG thing, since I doubt someone is going to try to get a court order to go from JPEG back to Bitmap.
Never underestimate the technical incompetence of a legal expert.

Is anyone else reminded of the GIF patent controversy way back when?
“Despite rumor, Death isn't cruel — merely terribly, terribly good at his job.”
Terry Pratchett, Sourcery
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

Does this have any chance of passing?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

Given that Feinstein represents California, which is where the majority of tech companies are located, no. They have plenty of ammunition when it comes to problems like this. Look at the defeat of SOPA.
MKSheppard
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger
Ruthless Genocidal Warmonger

Post by MKSheppard »

What the fuck do you expect from Dianne Feinsten?
"If scientists and inventors who develop disease cures and useful technologies don't get lifetime royalties, I'd like to know what fucking rationale you have for some guy getting lifetime royalties for writing an episode of Full House." - Mike Wong

"The present air situation in the Pacific is entirely the result of fighting a fifth rate air power." - U.S. Navy Memo - 24 July 1944
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Well, it'd be nice if she'd learn from experience, but she probably didn't learn anything from the way the assault weapons ban went down, so yeah. Fair point.

[I approve of gun control in the broad sense, or at least some forms of it, but the assault weapons ban was bluntly stupid. I strongly disapprove of enacting stupid laws to achieve desirable goals, because this uses up political capital that could instead be spent on effective laws that actually achieve their own stated purpose.]
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

It's a bill by Feinstien. Of course it paint-chip eating stupid. I'd expect nothing less (or more) from the stupid bitch.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Now now, let's not start slinging misogynist insults.

She's a babbling cretin when it comes to technical issues, but there's nothing gender-specific about being a babbling-cretin.

[Sorry, I just find it a bad habit that we always circle back to insults like 'bitch' when talking about a female who strikes us as unworthy in any of a wide variety of sometimes contradictory ways]
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Even a law passed where the phrasing technically outlawed jpegs what are the chances of that aspect of it being enforced?
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

Simon_Jester wrote:Now now, let's not start slinging misogynist insults.

She's a babbling cretin when it comes to technical issues, but there's nothing gender-specific about being a babbling-cretin.

[Sorry, I just find it a bad habit that we always circle back to insults like 'bitch' when talking about a female who strikes us as unworthy in any of a wide variety of sometimes contradictory ways]
I can kinda see whats wrong about about using a gendered insult but at the same time, and mind you this is coming from my very un-PC opinion, I also see where its not so bad. Someone calling someone a bad word is in itself bad of course but we are still going to do it and will tailor it to fit the person being insulted. A guy will be a dick, a woman a bitch and far worse things depending on skin color.

But beyond that the insult of dick or bitch is not just about gender. Dianne Feinstein is not considered a bitch because she has a vagina, they are not insulting her womanhood or femininity when they call her as such. She is considered a bitch because she is a difficult or unpleasant person or because she incessantly whines, the very definition of a bitch as defined by modern insult vernacular. Just the same someone like Donald Trump or Martin Shkreli would be considered dicks because they are rude, abrasive, inconsiderate, or otherwise contemptible people, they are dicks.

People dislike Feinstein because of her actions, because she acts like a "bitch" and will express themselves as crudely as possible at her expense as well she deserves for being such a cunt....emptable person. Now again, I understand why some might see its bad and I'd think its bad if someone is insulting her solely for her having a vagoo but insulting her for being a terribly terrible, empty headed, moronic loon who should have had a restraining order put on her so she can't go under 200 feet near any sort of bills or legalization and should be forced alongside Carolyn "shoulder thing that goes up" McCarthy to take some gun class to educate their dumb asses with insults that reference the fact she has a vagina I don't see as too bad.

But again, not the most PC person. Windows 10 can eat a dick.

My caveman sensibilities aside, I wouldn't have a problem with her and her ilk if they tried to get educated on what they are trying to ban and didn't see banning the thing as the ultimate goal.

If you are against something and want it gone be it guns, fatty foods, horribly creepy child beauty pageants, or damn dirty apes it should be for intelligent reasons, not your feelings. There should be an understanding of the thing, why its bad, why its in the best public interest to ban them.

But thats the problem too often, whether or not its in the best public interest matters not because the goal is solely to remove the thing. This is particularly true with firearms by people like Feinstein but no doubt true with other things. The gun itself is bad, don't matter a wink or a lick or some other folksy thing meaning small whether or not firearms are actually harmful or removing them would improve public safety, as long as guns are gone that all that matters.

That should not be the goal, the goal should be public safety and interest and freedom with a balance struck between it all. If evil black fully semi automatic assault weapons being banned actually improved public safety while still maintaining enough freedom and all that, it would be a good thing. But you don't try to arbitrarily ban those terrible cop piercing baby seeking airplane destroyer death dealers with that being the only goal, working backwards to try to link it to public safety and other not at all tangible bullshit.

But thats just like my opinion man. I think some gun control is good and necessary but not because guns are bad but because some gun control like background checks and restricting actual machine guns is for the best interest of public safety. Keeps extremely dangerous weapons out of the hands of people who would abuse them, and its works considering how little Class 3 weapons are used in crime and how when the background system works it keeps regular weapons out of the hands of bad people. But having gun control solely for gun controls sake I highly dislike like a kid with vegetable or my current self with vegetables.

Dianne Feinstein has a track record of pushing personal poop based on fears and personal biases on the public that would do little if anything to improve public safety and is just far too broad and stupid, doing the thing solely to do the thang. This bill is just more of them same. Feinstein does not like encryption, fears it like a newbie in a prison shower fears dropping the soap and will use her power to attack it with not even quarter assed sloppy measures. I see her as exactly the same as Republic cockbags fearful of gaymosexuals and them there ladyboys using our menly bathrooms for rape and our manly toilet paper trying to pass terribad laws to attack those things they don't like. And all that anti-gun and anti-gay hate bullshit is a real bitch.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Joun_Lord wrote:
Simon_Jester wrote:Now now, let's not start slinging misogynist insults.

I can kinda see whats wrong about about using a gendered insult but at the same time, and mind you this is coming from my very un-PC opinion, I also see where its not so bad. Someone calling someone a bad word is in itself bad of course but we are still going to do it and will tailor it to fit the person being insulted. A guy will be a dick, a woman a bitch and far worse things depending on skin color.
Thing is, in... civilized but foul-mouthed company, we don't use the skin color insults. Racial slurs passed outside the domain of what you can say in any but the crudest (and most racist) company quite a while ago. And while we certainly use 'dick' and other insults related to the male genitalia, we don't use them all the time, whereas a disliked woman gets called a 'bitch' more often than not. So I don't think the counter-argument you present is as true as it may appear at first glance.

On top of that, most of our other gendered insults mean a specific thing. For example, "dick" generally refers to obnoxious behavior, particularly that of someone who is aggressively indifferent to how other people feel about the behavior.

Whereas a woman can get called a "bitch" for being too competent, not competent enough, too smart, not smart enough, too pushy or cruel- though men get called it for being not pushy enough- you get the idea.

An outside observer of our culture might well conclude that 'bitch' is just a synonym for 'woman' that people (mostly men) use when they're in a bad mood. Sort of like 'asshole' serves as a synonym for 'person' that we use when in a bad mood.

Whereas the same observer would not conclude that 'dick' is a synonym for 'man' that we use when we're in a bad mood, because we only use it to refer to specific subtypes of men, and almost never call a man a 'dick' for anything other than those particular disliked behaviors.

That's what bugs me, the idea that 'bitch' is a word that can be used to describe any woman regardless of what they do or don't do, and is in effect just a less-polite synonym for 'woman.'
But beyond that the insult of dick or bitch is not just about gender. Dianne Feinstein is not considered a bitch because she has a vagina, they are not insulting her womanhood or femininity when they call her as such. She is considered a bitch because she is a difficult or unpleasant person or because she incessantly whines, the very definition of a bitch as defined by modern insult vernacular. Just the same someone like Donald Trump or Martin Shkreli would be considered dicks because they are rude, abrasive, inconsiderate, or otherwise contemptible people, they are dicks.
See, if we only called a woman a 'bitch' for being abrasive, or for being inconsiderate, if it really was a precise parallel to the use of 'dick' to describe a male, I wouldn't have such a problem.

But it's not. A large minority of males use 'bitch' as a diminutive directed against (potentially) any female, including ones who are not abrasive or inconsiderate. For that matter, they'll use 'bitch' to describe women who have the exact opposite problem and show signs of being fragile, withdrawn, and prone to subordinating themselves.

Given how we use 'dick,' we might call Donald Trump a 'dick...' but a mugger wishing to express dominance over their victim would never think of addressing the victim as 'dick.' A rapper would never think of referring to inferior males as 'dicks.' The word is used almost exclusively to describe social equals and superiors who happen to be obnoxious.

There is NO curse word for males that implies what 'bitch' does for females... because there is no word that implicitly demotes males to the status of social inferiors. Except, well, 'bitch.' Or 'pussy.' '

Gee, notice a pattern there?

It's that pattern that bothers me, that we have this favorite go-to insult that we use whenever a woman irritates us, and which just happens to imply that this person is inferior to us, in a way that is somehow tied up enough with femininity to use a feminine-specific insult.
People dislike Feinstein because of her actions, because she acts like a "bitch" and will express themselves as crudely as possible at her expense as well she deserves for being such a cunt....emptable person. Now again, I understand why some might see its bad and I'd think its bad if someone is insulting her solely for her having a vagoo but insulting her for being a terribly terrible, empty headed, moronic loon who should have had a restraining order put on her so she can't go under 200 feet near any sort of bills or legalization and should be forced alongside Carolyn "shoulder thing that goes up" McCarthy to take some gun class to educate their dumb asses with insults that reference the fact she has a vagina I don't see as too bad.
Thing is, I don't mind people insulting Feinstein as such. She's got a persistent pattern of trying to pass bad laws banning things in technical subjects she apparently doesn't understand. For showing that pattern, she deserves derision. Not sure about other subjects but that's just because I know almost nothing of her record.

My problem isn't with people cussing out Feinstein. It's with people using the word 'bitch,' which I think has a lot of the same problems as some of the racial slurs we just don't say anymore in civilized company. Even rude civilized company, which is the typical standard on this board.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Do we really need to derail another thread with a whiny bitch fest about sexism?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Apparently we're supposed to be PC even when insulting someone. I'll remember to preface any further insults with a trigger warning, lest Simon feel microagressed again.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Laan, why is it not a problem if I call Feinstein stupid, but it becomes a problem if I call someone's use of a word stupid?
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

General Zod wrote:Do we really need to derail another thread with a whiny bitch fest about sexism?
Watching liberals turn on each other over tone is comedy gold to be honest.
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

AniThyng wrote:
General Zod wrote:Do we really need to derail another thread with a whiny bitch fest about sexism?
Watching liberals turn on each other over tone is comedy gold to be honest.
Frankly I'm sick of threads being derailed into a browbeating session. Whatever happened to just reporting shit?
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Wild Zontargs
Padawan Learner

Post by Wild Zontargs »

General Zod wrote:Frankly I'm sick of threads being derailed into a browbeating session. Whatever happened to just reporting shit?
Virtue signalling happened. Reporting a possibly-misogynist comment is invisible. You click a button, the mods decide whether anything is wrong, and life goes on. Publicly calling the other poster on it is visible. You get to prove that you're a Good Person, thinking Good Thoughts.

[/derail_and_counter-virtue_signalling]
Доверяй, но проверяй
"Ugh. I hate agreeing with Zontargs." -- Alyrium Denryle
"What you are is abject human trash who is very good at dodging actual rule violations while still being human trash." -- Alyrium Denryle
iustitia socialis delenda est
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

Seriously, next time, just use the report button if you're feeling offended. Or if you think someone's being a whiner about being offended. Otherwise, you're just adding to the volume of stuff you probably won't want posterity to have in its arsenal after twenty years.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Wild Zontargs wrote:
General Zod wrote:Frankly I'm sick of threads being derailed into a browbeating session. Whatever happened to just reporting shit?
Virtue signalling happened. Reporting a possibly-misogynist comment is invisible. You click a button, the mods decide whether anything is wrong, and life goes on. Publicly calling the other poster on it is visible. You get to prove that you're a Good Person, thinking Good Thoughts.

[/derail_and_counter-virtue_signalling]
Since you brought it up...

I honestly don't care very much about 'virtue signalling' in this context. Even if I did, I'd be an idiot to try to signal 'virtue' in that way on this forum; you will note that I drew flak from more people than I drew agreement from. It's not like there's a large audience likely to be impressed by my commitment to whatever, since the active poster base on this forum is like 90% male and 99% pro-cussing. Indeed, the forum is pro-cussing by design. And I knew that before I said anything.

I do, however, have opinions.

Why do people assume I must be 'white knighting' or whatever? Is it that much of a stretch to believe that the word 'bitch' used as a routine term for all females we dislike honestly bothers me? Or that I might honestly want to ask "hey, why do we do this so much, it seems kind of weird and sleazy that we use this particular word this particular way?"
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

You can't argue with the guy in PM? Nobody else wants to read it.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

I do. I'm glad there's at least one other person on the forum who deliberately thinks through the implications of the language they use. I also saw how two people immediately refused to engage with a well-reasoned post for no apparent reason, a third person tried to tar him with an appeal to motive, and then a moderator on a debate forum said not to bother debating.