The Division Open Beta

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

The Division Open Beta

Post by Mr Bean »

Here are the details

But while I have been enjoying myself I feel like.... super racist playing it. Because there are exactly five enemy groups in the games the Rioters (Who by accident/intentionally are 90% African American) who wear street clothes and shoot guns sideways. The Cleaners who are all pyromaniacs and wear full body jumpsuits so who knows. Rikers who seem to be a 50/50 mix of Hell's Angels and Latino sterotypes and the Last Man Battalion which are literally Wall Street lead Nazi PMC.

Seriously these are the enemy groups, and you spend your first few levels gunning down mostly rioters who again... are 99% black with only the occasional white "boss" npc mixed in. Seriously I counted, my buddy was in the closed beta and committed on it so when I started I kept track of my kills and by level 8 I had gunned down 80 Rioters (76 of which were black, four boss npcs all white) and about 30 cleaners who could be any nationality. And I seriously wondered am I crazy or... yeah I don't know. It kinda strikes me as odd to have themed enemies based on real life groups and then put new players in the situation when your gunning down a few hundred people on the way to max level.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: The Division Open Beta

Post by TheFeniX »

It's Tom Clancy, so I don't know what to think. You spend most of 6 Vegas 2 fighting "Mexican Ultra-nationalists" who say shit like "bitch, owed me money" or "Not bad asshole! Not bad..." when you kill one of their buddies. In English, mind you, with extremely thick stereotypical Hispanic accents. Or fighting the "Mexican Airforce" in HAWXs early missions. Whole thing is more hilarious than anything, because I don't think it's racially motivated, but they just needed a US neighbor to be a threat and Rainbow 6: Montana: Maple Syrup edition wasn't in the cards.
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Re: The Division Open Beta

Post by InsaneTD »

I played it for about five hours, created all the sp stuff and couldn't do anything in the dark zone cause I don't have any plus time at the moment. I'm thinking I'll get it eventually when it comes on special.

I'd realised most of the rioters were "gang bangers". Hadn't thought through the implications or noticed the bosses were white. I do wonder how the cleaners got all their equipment though. So much firepower.