HELP! WIN10 TASKBAR ICONS

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

HELP! WIN10 TASKBAR ICONS

Post by LadyTevar »

Two days ago, nearly all the icons on my taskbar VANISHED. The ones still visible cannot be clicked on with the mouse. This has left me with NO SOUND in ANY program -- STWOR, Chrome, or Skype.

I found suggestions online to fix the missing icons, which directed me to Taskbar>Properties>Notification Area>Customize.
However, clicking on Customize gets an error message:
MS-settings:notifications
This file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action. Please install a program or, if one is already installed, create an association in the Default Programs control panel.
Going to my Control Panel>Default Programs>Set Associations, I get a long list of of Extentions, with Description and Current Default. However, I have NO CLUE what extention I need to touch, nor what Default to set if I knew the Extention!. :banghead:
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Re: HELP! WIN10 TASKBAR ICONS

Post by Dominus Atheos »

LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Dominus Atheos wrote:Other people say this helps:

http://download.microsoft.com/download/ ... 58.diagcab
Downloaded, tried it, got a message: "This is a new issue and we're investigating solutions"

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

SO... I found how to do SafeMode finally, and I went in and restored it to the last update. The icons all came back, and they're all accessable via mouse again.

Go figure.

Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

In other news, new OS'es are the devil and should be avoided as long as possible? ;)
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Got a bit spoiled Windows 7 worked out of the box with next to zero issues, at least none I could think of. Same with Windows 8 being an improvement over W7 while being hindered by Metro garbage.

Windows 10 just has issues and Microsoft is once again using the consumer to beta test it. The problem being, among other things, their insistence on fucking as many people over as possible in the process by pushing it like fictional drug dealers in those old high school anti-drug PSAs.
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

What's annoying me is I can't update my Nvidia drivers, because they're "not compatable" with Win10

Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

What card do you have?
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Nvidia GeForce GTX 660M
It came with the laptop

Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

These should do the trick.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
Raj Ahten
Jedi Council Member

Post by Raj Ahten »

Well microsoft managed to fuck me and many others good and hard it appears if going into their support forums is anything to go by. Instead of taskbar icons going bye bye my start button and search functions just up and stopped working. This is not a new issue. People have been reporting it since at least July. At first the microsoft people were all chipper and apologetic in the threads about the issue and were asking about people's builds and such and saying it was a high priority. The latest posts just have a single entry from microsoft giving a work around that doesn't work for most people (including me) and has everyone complaining on how much they got. Shafted and that microsoft should be sued by a class action. Now that's depressing to know your issue has been known about for six months and nothing has been done about it. Apparantly some people get relieve by creating a new profile and copying everything to it but that doesn't work for everyone and is temperary in any case so not worth bothering with. Windows 8's annoying interface is sure looking good compared to 10's non functionality right now.
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Hey LadyTevar*, I doubt that it will be this simple, but try running "sndvol" (Windows' volume control application) and see if the settings there are correct.

From the symptoms you describe, it seems like the issue runs far deeper (so it's doubtful this will help), but I figure that might be worth a shot, just to get sound back in your applications.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

:banghead: Ok, I'm done.

I have ran things in safe mode. I have uninstalled the bits I've been told cuase the problem. I have even done a total fuckin' re-Install of Win10. I'm still having the same goddam problem. No Sound, No Video, No access to Taskbar.

DO I need to go out and buy a new laptop that's BUILT for Win10 to stop this?!?!?!?!

Executor32
Jedi Council Member

Post by Executor32 »

Try this:

Go to C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0.
Right-click on 'powershell' or 'powershell.exe' (it has a blue icon) and run as administrator.
Once you're at the Powershell prompt, type in or copy-paste the following:

Code: Select all

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}
and hit Enter. It'll take a while to finish, but it should fix the Start Menu/Taskbar/Settings.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

My start icon and search bar have no decided not to work. The above tip isn't helping. Any ideas?
DesertFly
has been designed to act as a flotation device

Post by DesertFly »

I ran into the same issue with my mom's computer over the weekend. I was able to fix it by going to the startup tab in Task Manager (right click on Start or Ctrl-Shift-Esc if the right-click menu won't come up) and disabling everything that was unnecessary (which eventually turned out to be everything), then restarting. Something she or one of my sisters had installed was creating some kind of incompatibility, and stopping all the random things from starting up allowed the menu to work again, and sped her computer up to boot.
Proud member of the no sigs club.
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Post by Crazedwraith »

Alas that didn't work either. In the end, I did a full refresh of Windows 10. Which worked. For now at least.