Undertale wins best game ever.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Undertale wins best game ever.

Post by TheFeniX »

Or "How to troll polls in the Internet."

It beat out Ocarina of Time. "Gamers" are pissed because they are dumb:
For the last few weeks, GameFAQs has been running a “Best. Game. Ever.” poll to celebrate its 20-year anniversary. It’s pitted classic against classic, Sonic against Mario, Final Fantasy against Zelda, Portal against BioShock to find the 'real' best game ever. At long last, the winner has been crowned, and it’s causing something of a stir.

After countless rounds of voting, the winning game was one that only released this year. One that not many people have had the chance to play yet, and certainly not one with the long-term popularity of Final Fantasy VII or Ocarina of Time.

The winner was Undertale.

Undertale’s success in the polls has caused a massive, internet-wide uproar all the way through the voting. On the one side are people who don’t feel that Undertale can really be called the “Best. Game. Ever.” if it only came out this year, and that the vote was ‘rigged’ due to the size of the fandom it currently has.

On the other, you'll find people defending Undertale, claiming it really is the best game ever, or you'll find people who are critical of gaming’s perceived obsession with nostalgia driving these kinds of polls to usually pick games like Ocarina of Time. And then there’s the rest of us sat in the middle, slightly bemused about the whole situation.

I personally don’t have a horse in this race, as the game I consider the ‘best ever’ wasn’t even in the running (Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, if you’re curious). I love Undertale (and so did Ben), and it's certainly one of the best games to come out this year in my book.

As much as I like Undertale though, this poll isn't confirmation that it’s “objectively good”, or that your favourite game is "objectively bad" because it lost to it. All it is confirmation of is that Undertale is really bloody popular at the moment.

So, what is your “Best. Game. Ever.”, and why is it Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory?
I played Undertale. It's a fun little game that actually makes you think about consequences and gaming in general. If I had to rate it on a "makes me think about myself as someone who dedicates a large amount of time to gaming" it would win hands down. No game has ever made me think about "TheFeniX" as a character/expy and the misery he has caused. At least not without attacking me directly as a gamer. It's a great game considering it was made practically by one guy in his parents basement. But as the game I've garnered the most enjoyment out of? No way. But it's fans are fucking crazy and seem to be tech-competent enough to push the voting the way they wanted.

Oh man, I love it when the Internet gets pissed off at stupid bullshit. Reaffirms my belief that 90% of the people who use it should stick to Facebook and using Google for spellcheck.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Re: Undertale wins best game ever.

Post by Vendetta »

If we didn't already know that internet polls that ask specious questions that have no useful answer like "best game ever" are about as useful as arse cancer, we do now.

Still, anything that boils the piss of Gamefaqs is OK by me. Carry on Undertale.
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

TheFeniX wrote:But it's fans are fucking crazy and seem to be tech-competent enough to push the voting the way they wanted.
By itself that probably wouldn't have been enough to push the game to victory. However, Tumblr just happens to contain a sizeable contingent of users who absolutely fucking hate GameFAQs (or more precisely its userbase) and everything it stands for, and already rigged it so that the "Best Character Ever" contest last year ended up being won by some random League of Legends character.
Ziggy Stardust
Sith Devotee

Post by Ziggy Stardust »

What exactly does GameFAQs stand for that's so abhorrent? It has always seemed like a pretty harmless and generic gaming website to me.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:What exactly does GameFAQs stand for that's so abhorrent? It has always seemed like a pretty harmless and generic gaming website to me.
Not a clue, but I generally don't venture into their forums unless I have to. Not from any malice mind, just because forums are a shit way to find info about a game unless you're willing to ask a question and wait for an answer.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Honestly ever since Moot made Time's person of the year people should have quit taking internet polls seriously.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

TheFeniX wrote:If I had to rate it on a "makes me think about myself as someone who dedicates a large amount of time to gaming" it would win hands down. No game has ever made me think about "TheFeniX" as a character/expy and the misery he has caused. At least not without attacking me directly as a gamer. It's a great game considering it was made practically by one guy in his parents basement.
I have not played Undertale, but if you like this you might like a free 2d platform game called Iji.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Ziggy Stardust wrote:What exactly does GameFAQs stand for that's so abhorrent? It has always seemed like a pretty harmless and generic gaming website to me.
Don't know if this is why Tumblr hates them, though I'm usually of the mind that anything that rubs their Hurt Feelings contingent the wrong way is fine in my book, I do agree with Tumblr in this case: GameFAQs combines the fanboyism of an official site, with the added disadvantage of not knowing what they're fanboying at any particular time unless you keep up with their site.

There was a point where saying something like "I think Nintendo's business practices are flawed" would lead to a massive shitposting brigade coming down and when the moderators finally stepped in, the OP was usually the one banned due to "stirring the pot." The mentality hasn't changed much over the years IMO, only what's an acceptable target for ire and what's currently their goldenboy.

Not to mention the "I was hugely insulting in my post, but I didn't use words like 'fuck" so how dare you use cuss words when responding to me being an asshole! MODS, PLEASE SAVE ME!" So... like 99% of forums. At least here I can have a dumbshit opinion and only worry about being yelled at. There, you have to be certain your dumbshit opinion is supported by the current moderators or you get banned.

NOTE: I haven't bothered with GameFAQs in years.
Grumman wrote:I have not played Undertale, but if you like this you might like a free 2d platform game called Iji.
I might give it a shot, but I particularly liked the throw-back to old JRPG mechanics in Undertale since you could easily take the game in small bites.