Pre-industrial Fantasy STGOD Recruitment Thread.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Pre-industrial Fantasy STGOD Recruitment Thread.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

With the permission of Thanas, I have posted this here (temporarily) rather than in the STGOD subforum.

I'm putting together a pre-industrial Fantasy STGOD game, but we could use a few more participants to fill out some empty spaces on the map.

If you are interested in participating, here's a link:

https://bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic ... 5&t=164234
Crazedwraith
Emperor's Hand

Re: Pre-industrial Fantasy STGOD Recruitment Thread.

Post by Crazedwraith »

Maybe you could explain a bit more about what it is and what's required for those of us who may never have taken part in one?
madd0ct0r
Sith Acolyte

Post by madd0ct0r »

It's a structured story telling and empire level rar. Each player stakes out a kingdom in north America. Kingdom's are large, fielding up to 100,000 spearmen at the start of the game. If you want to play a non human race you flesh them out too. Where you border other players you chat out a bit of a backstory, old battles trade relations ect.
anything invented prior to 1800 is allowed, so some playershave chosen to start at pike and shot levels. I've gone for stone age hordes and their pets :)
"Aid, trade, green technology and peace." - Hans Rosling.
"Welcome to SDN, where we can't see the forest because walking into trees repeatedly feels good, bro." - Mr Coffee
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Note that the "100000 spearmen" standard is there mostly to give us some ability to treat national militaries as comparable among the PC powers in the event of conflict. And everyone gets to decide for themselves what their fighting forces.

Personally I settled on a nice near-absolutely monarchical empire in the Ohio river valley based on the five pillars of canal building, ancestor worship, communal prayer chants, musketry, and distrust of wizards. ;)
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Raw Shark
Stunt Driver / Babysitter

Post by Raw Shark »

How much participation is considered adequate / over-the-top / inadequate for this sort of game? I could probably post every day or three, but won't be able to keep up a blow-by-blow exchange this time of year.

"Do I really look like a guy with a plan? Y'know what I am? I'm a dog chasing cars. I wouldn't know what to do with one if I caught it! Y'know, I just do things..." --The Joker
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Once per day is probably ok, depending on what's going on in-game. Of course, if the prevailing situation doesn't involve the Greater Colorado Union of Taxi Drivers, you can...take a back seat. I'll get my coat now :)
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Raw Shark wrote:How much participation is considered adequate / over-the-top / inadequate for this sort of game? I could probably post every day or three, but won't be able to keep up a blow-by-blow exchange this time of year.
I don't expect a high level of participation at this time of year. While I'm going to try to get the main story thread up by Christmas, I'll understand if some peoples' posting is a little irregular at first, because I understand this time of year keeps people busy for various reasons.

In any case, once every day or two should be quite fine.
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

I've never done one of these before, but I have an idea for a polity based on the Canadian prairies I'd like to play . I won't be able to be that commited to it until about Christmas time though.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Coop D'etat wrote:I've never done one of these before, but I have an idea for a polity based on the Canadian prairies I'd like to play . I won't be able to be that commited to it until about Christmas time though.
That fits right in with the land we have open and the timeline we're all working with. Feel free to look at the map and see which portions of the current Sioux NPC lands you might want, hell feel free to take the entirety of it for yourself if that fits. I think the most recent map is on page 8 of the rules thread.
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

Raw Shark wrote:How much participation is considered adequate / over-the-top / inadequate for this sort of game? I could probably post every day or three, but won't be able to keep up a blow-by-blow exchange this time of year.
Every day or three generally works out fine in an STGOD. It adds up when there's several people doing it.

It's only problematic when you get the people who clock out for two weeks, then post something and make plans for a major series of interactions with you and get your hopes up, then wander away for a month, then come back and shitpost once or twice and vanish entirely. Because then they're taking up space and opportunities in the game, and nothing can happen involving them.

As long as people keep showing up and respond to what is happening around them and/or occasionally do weird stuff themselves, they're contributing and stuff keeps flowing.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

Jub wrote:
Coop D'etat wrote:I've never done one of these before, but I have an idea for a polity based on the Canadian prairies I'd like to play . I won't be able to be that commited to it until about Christmas time though.
That fits right in with the land we have open and the timeline we're all working with. Feel free to look at the map and see which portions of the current Sioux NPC lands you might want, hell feel free to take the entirety of it for yourself if that fits. I think the most recent map is on page 8 of the rules thread.
What I'm thinking is that my guys will hold territory basically equivalent to the Lake Winnipeg drainage basin, plus suzerainty over a port city state in Thunder Bay. I like the idea of the rest of the Sioux NPC territory remaining as TimC described if no one claims them as PC territory.

Well have to work out how the western borderlands with Jub's state work out, but my idea is that my state holds a series of major fortresses/trading posts on the passes of the continental divide, but doesn't penetrate any further into the mountains from there.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Sounds interesting.

Just a heads-up: given the stuff I've been working on for my backstory, my people would have likely migrated through your lands (or around them) at some time in the past, so their might be some history between us.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

This is tempting but I'd likely drop out like I did with the Bastian Star Empire due to time constraints. I just wouldn't have the brains left after work to do anything more than fuck around with Mortal Kombat or Fallout. Unless I decide to put my guys up in northern Canada so they'd have minimal interaction and are generally neutral, I probably won't join. That is an idea, though. Cryomancer magocracy (because Sub-Zero is my favorite Mortal Kombat character) with some bits of the Bastians thrown in because I recycle concepts a lot. Defend their territory with hailstorms and a giant wall of ice (yes, I'm ripping of George RR Martin). Restrictions based on the climate or something so they aren't on the level of creating eternal winter wherever they go. Fur, whaling and lumber trade for more modern weapons maybe. Will need more research if I decide to join.

EDIT: Looking at the other thread, parts of northeastern Canada and maybe Greenland.
Last edited by Panzersharkcat on 2015-12-14 04:11am, edited 2 times in total.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That sounds interesting.

I understand that time constraints can make it difficult for people to participate as much as they otherwise would, but having some remote arctic faction sounds quite intriguing. Though we do have at least one other faction in the Canadian tundra as it is.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

I looked at the other thread. Seems they're set up on the western part of Canada. Edited before I saw your post. Greenland might be too remote and sparsely populated unless it's the homeland of those cryomancers and they set up elsewhere in Canada.
"I'm just reading through your formspring here, and your responses to many questions seem to indicate that you are ready and willing to sacrifice realism/believability for the sake of (sometimes) marginal increases in gameplay quality. Why is this?"
"Because until I see gamers sincerely demanding that if they get winged in the gut with a bullet that they spend the next three hours bleeding out on the ground before permanently dying, they probably are too." - J.E. Sawyer
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Well, their should still be lots of room somewhere in the Canadian north, in any case.
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

The Romulan Republic wrote:Sounds interesting.

Just a heads-up: given the stuff I've been working on for my backstory, my people would have likely migrated through your lands (or around them) at some time in the past, so their might be some history between us.

Looking at your backstory, I'd say it fits into my peoples approach for your people to be allowed to transit without pogroms or official sanction, but with the locals generally spitting on you for being a different species. I'd suggest that as a result tepid to lukewarm view of each other is a likely starting point.
Panzersharkcat
Jedi Council Member

Post by Panzersharkcat »

Yeah. And I'd probably make them one of the smaller factions. Change the hailstorm ability to using the snow around them to rain projectiles on their foes. Foolish to try set piece battles against them on their own turf. Hard to conquer but a bit limited in their offensive capabilities, especially as they move further south. Lots of small raiding parties wouldn't be out of the question, though, which would be reason to build that ice wall. Further south, those cryomancers would be limited to something similar to Sub-Zero's power set. Ordinary military would be pretty normal tribal types. Spearmen and archers, with a small number of riflemen as they try to modernize their military. Mixed society of humans and Bastians, the cat people, in the Bastian Dominion. Bastians as conquerors who were generally oppressive towards their human subjects (and non-cryomancers in general), though newer high king is trying better to integrate them. Disgruntled humans trying to flee is bad for the Dominion when the population is mostly human. That would set up some conflict with neighbors. Would need to think of how the Bastians came to exist, though.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

If you're going to start going into detail about your factions, it might be better to take that to the main OOC thread. Just a suggestion.
Coop D'etat
Jedi Knight

Post by Coop D'etat »

Panzersharkcat wrote:This is tempting but I'd likely drop out like I did with the Bastian Star Empire due to time constraints. I just wouldn't have the brains left after work to do anything more than fuck around with Mortal Kombat or Fallout. Unless I decide to put my guys up in northern Canada so they'd have minimal interaction and are generally neutral, I probably won't join. That is an idea, though. Cryomancer magocracy (because Sub-Zero is my favorite Mortal Kombat character) with some bits of the Bastians thrown in because I recycle concepts a lot. Defend their territory with hailstorms and a giant wall of ice (yes, I'm ripping of George RR Martin). Restrictions based on the climate or something so they aren't on the level of creating eternal winter wherever they go. Fur, whaling and lumber trade for more modern weapons maybe. Will need more research if I decide to join.

EDIT: Looking at the other thread, parts of northeastern Canada and maybe Greenland.

If your looking in the Arctic, the Mackenzie River valley in the west would be a great place for a civilization to rise up if they could tolerate the climate.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Panzersharkcat wrote:Yeah. And I'd probably make them one of the smaller factions. Change the hailstorm ability to using the snow around them to rain projectiles on their foes. Foolish to try set piece battles against them on their own turf. Hard to conquer but a bit limited in their offensive capabilities, especially as they move further south. Lots of small raiding parties wouldn't be out of the question, though, which would be reason to build that ice wall. Further south, those cryomancers would be limited to something similar to Sub-Zero's power set. Ordinary military would be pretty normal tribal types. Spearmen and archers, with a small number of riflemen as they try to modernize their military. Mixed society of humans and Bastians, the cat people, in the Bastian Dominion. Bastians as conquerors who were generally oppressive towards their human subjects (and non-cryomancers in general), though newer high king is trying better to integrate them. Disgruntled humans trying to flee is bad for the Dominion when the population is mostly human. That would set up some conflict with neighbors. Would need to think of how the Bastians came to exist, though.
I added you to the map up in the southern part of Alaska. You can check it out here.