[Civ V LP] Enrico's Hat Conquers the World- Game Thread

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Tribble
Sith Devotee

[Civ V LP] Enrico's Hat Conquers the World- Game Thread

Post by Tribble »

Part I: Baby Steps

Alright, so after a little discussion and no dates last Saturday night, I decided to give Civilization V another go. As the title suggests, Civ V is 4X game: "eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate", and the 5th entry in the franchise. Average gamer, average game, what could possibly go wrong?

Here are the starting game conditions:

Map: Continents
Size: Huge --> I'm Referring to the map of course :P
Random Civs, including me
Number of Civs: 15
Number of City States (cities which can help / hinder you, but can't expand and don't play to win): 24
Victory Conditions: the only one that counts of course - Domination (must capture all capitals). Much blood will be spilled this game :twisted:
Resources: Standard
Barbarians: Raging - why else would you have them around?
Game Speed: Epic, which is slower than Normal mode. This is altered somewhat by a mod which increases unit production (but not research)

Mods I will be using:

Faster aircraft animation (seriously why the hell are they so damn slow)?
Scout to Explorer - to keep them relevant later in the game
3 Units per Tile - by far the most important mod. It prevents "carpet of doom" while still requiring you to think carefully about your stacks. Plus, the A.I. is generally more competent at warfare since it has less difficulties in maneuvering. This should have been an included option with the game. \
Pikeman to Musketman - For some strange reason the default route is Pikeman to Lancer. So the Pikeman decide to mount horses or something? I think this transition is more realistic.
Starting Worker - to speed things up a bit in the beginning and give me something to do besides hit "next turn" a million times.
Submarines ignore borders - for obvious reasons
No futuristic units - I'm not particularly interested in Giant Death Robots stampeding around the place in a game that is supposed to represent historical development. Plus, they are very unbalanced.
Units at half cost- One of the big problems in Civ V is that it has major balance issues with research and unit production. At the regular settings, research generally outstrips production, so you don't have time to actually do much with your units. At slower settings, while research is slower you have far fewer units to play. This helps address that issue given my speed setting.

Alright, so let's get started!

So, I am all prepared set out crushing the world beneath my feet. Who am I going to be? The Zulus, the Aztecs, the Romans, the Chinese, the Greeks? Eagerly anticipating playing as a warmongering civ, I click the start button to find out:

... oh, Fuck Me!

Seriously? Venice? In a domination game?? Have the computer gods conspired against me right from the start???

Pros: loads of cash via trade routes (provided you can use them), can use great merchants to take over city states
Cons: Cannot build settlers. Ever. Also, cannot annex other cities, which means I cannot control the production of any city besides my capital (though I can buy things in them)

For most victory conditions Venice is a powerhouse due to its strong economy. In this scenario I'm basically going to have to conquer the world with a single city while surrounded by aggressive neighbours and raging barbarians. Lovely.

Despite this handicap from the gods I nevertheless pledge to my people that all will one day bow before my mighty hat!

Let's take a look at our starting location:

Welcome to paradise. Hope you don't mind living in a desert with the scorching hot sun!

Actually, it's not too bad a starting location. There's a river, incense nearby some marble. And I start near the coast (critical for trade routes) Quite a bit of dessert though, which means I'm going to have to focus on Wonders / religions which increase their usefulness (especially because I can't build more cities).

Before building my city, I send my warrior and worker to explore the immediate surroundings. Any better starting locations?

Not really.

There's some fish further up the coast, but that would mean losing the benefits of being on the river. Time to whip those maggots into working and build my city!

Alas, all records of that historic day were lost over time (didn't help that I forgot to take a screenshot!) Will the humble founding of Venice one day take on the great trappings of legends such as the founding of Rome? Or will people simply remember that some guy with a big hat told them to settle down there or else?

Well, let's look at the tech tree:

Decided to go for pottery first. My people are going to need shrines to worship me. Oh, and granaries so that they don't starve to death.

Soon, my warriors found some ancient ruins (or maybe the ruins of the last city I tried to run, hard to tell). I wonder what secrets my warriors will find when they explore the ruins?

65 bucks? Those cheap bastards!

While getting gold is always nice, it doesn't usually amount to all that much. Units and buildings in Civ V are pretty expensive.

Meanwhile, Venice produced a scout:

And I decided to name him Betty. Go forth Betty, and explore the world! Spread the word to everyone in sight that the hordes of Venice will one day be upon them!

My warrior discovered a barbarian encampment pretty close to my city and guarding some ruins:

Oh great.

With raging barbarians, the camp is likely to spawn another unit before I get the chance to kill the one guarding it. I decide to make a run for the ruins, hoping that they might contain some equipment to help me beat the barbarians. Will my warrior make it, or will the barbarians stop it?

Using the clever strategy of "walk around the camp in plain sight" my warrior was able to avoid conflict and secure the ruins.

The ruins contained an ancient map of the area, revealing another set of ruins and Rome in the distance. Great. So the Civ closest to me has 2 powerful early game units and the desire to use them. Better start building more warriors.

Meanwhile, Betty encountered my first conquest Bratislava.

Little do they know that this chance meeting has sealed their fate, and that one day they will all be mine!

And speaking of first contact...

Hello, your Royal Highness! You may think you have the advantage with your golden hat, but is it as comfortable as mine??? Also, how much would it cost to buy that big candy cane off you?

However, now was not the time for discussions (especially because at this point in the game you can't really do much with the A.I,) so I sent the envoys on their way.

My warrior approached another set of ruins:

So, a pile of ruins still manages to produce more culture my civilization has over the first couple hundred years of its existence. Go figure.

Seriously though, receiving 30 culture points at this point of the game is a big bonus as it basically gives me a free social policy:

But where is the option for building my throne of human skulls???

Unlike the previous games, in Civ V you have various policy trees that you can gradually develop. In this case I chose tradition, which is widely considered to be the most powerful policy to start with. I wasn't actually planning on using this policy from the outset, and I was thinking about using the honour tree to get gold/culture from killing off hordes of barbarians. However, as I started with Venice and tradition focuses on building up the player's capital, it seemed like the obvious choice.

I decided to make my warrior head back towards my capital and it encountered yet another pile of ruins. There must have been one hell of an apocalypse before the game started:

Note the barbarian warrior on the left. The bastards are already spawning

What did my warrior discover this time?

I guess the apocalypse wasn't as thorough as I thought.

Around the same time, Betty ran into this guy:

Erm... ok, that's an interesting way to start off a conversation.

Seriously, the dude's crazy. What you didn't see in this screenshot is that right off the bat he actually threw his chalice at me. Did I miss something?

EDIT: Turns out that according to the Bible, God decided to punish Nebuchadnezzar for his pride by making him lose his sanity and live in the wild like an animal for seven years. Good to know that in addition to being set to more aggressive and crazy than normal my next-door neighbour is also historically bat-shit insane.

After backing away slowly from Nebuchadnezzar then running away like the coward I am, I decided to send my starting warrior and one I just produced to deal with the barbarian camp before it became a real nuisance:

Right as I was about to take the camp, a new barbarian warrior popped up:

Surprise, motherfucker!

Fortunately after a couple of turns of battle my warriors were able to slaughter both of them. During the battle, both of my warriors gained enough experience to be promoted, which allows me to give them extra skills and abilities (or heal them instantly if they are close to dying).

Not shown: my men tearing the camp apart for several hours to recover a grand total of... $27

The Romans finally made contact:

Seeing as you have 2 of the most powerful early-game units, I think I'll check myself off as "ally" for now.

I also decided to "pledge to protect" Bratislava for a 5-point bonus to our relations:

Believe me, when I decide to revoke your protection, you'll know it

Added to my social policy tree:

Betty continued to explore the surrounding terrain:

Will Betty survive being attacked by two barbarian hordes?

'tis only a flesh wound.

During this time he also ran into three more civilizations:

Uh-Oh

To tally up my "neighbours" so far I have: A wonder-hog, 4 war-mongers and a batshit-insane gardener.

Though apparently Attila has a soft spot for Cape Town and decided to trade with them. I guess he likes the view?

As tempting as it was to plunder the trade route and start a war for the lolz, Attila has some units which are very good at taking cities. So Betty carried on.

A quick look at Venice:

And the tech-tree:

I went for Calendar first as there was plenty of incense to build plantations on. I am currently researching Archery as more barbarians will inevitably appear and it's easier to pick them off from a distance.

Around this time Ramesses yielded to my hat's superiority and asked for a declaration of friendship:

Admit it, you're just jealous.

I honestly don't really know what the point of declarations of friendships are, as my "friends" in Civ V have never had any problems stabbing me in the back.

Apparently someone had too much time on his/her hand and surveyed the world food-stock:

After hundreds of years of toil and hardship, 3 of my people are being now being fed properly. Namely me and my two favourite concubines. Progress!

For some strange reason, the Assyrians did not seem very happy having Attila the Hun as their neighbour...

ummmmm... pass.

Betty continued to run away from barbarians, and discovered Assyrian territory:

So we have two of the biggest war-mongers in the game within spitting distance of each-other. This promises to be interesting!

I soon received an envoy from the Fiendish Dr. Wu:

Another Social Policy is reached:

Venice has to deal with some pirates:

While Eqypt deals with some barbarians:

Note the shield icon on the unit in the Barbarian camp on the left, which means that there is more than one military unit on that tile (due to the mod).

Betty continued to run into problems:

HELP!

The next two turns were momentous occasions for my people, as they ran into the Santa Claus's Kingdom the great nation of Poland...

Ho Ho Ho!

as well as one of the great natural wonders of the world

Too bad it's pretty far from my territory... and that I can't build cities :(

It's now turn 50, let's take a look at the map:

The lands to the north-east:

The lands to the southwest:

haha, Poland lost a worker! Unlucky bastards! And my warrior is near another set of ruins!

The lands to the north-West:

I am pleased to discover that Betty is still alive, though he's not particularly healthy atm.

Summary of first 50 turns

IMO so far the start of the game has been fairly typical, with exploration, goody-hut ruin popping, meeting new civs, and encountering barbarians. Being Venice, my start is somewhat slower than most as I can't build new cities.

While I could have played an aggressive start and probably attacked someone, there wouldn't have been very much to gain. I cannot directly control cities I conquer, and at this stage I don't have the money to use extra cities to but units. Also, I'm having to deal with several aggressive civs with powerful early-game units, and there's a good chance that if I attacked one civ right now another might take advantage and declare war on me. Plus, wiping out a civ or two this early in the game wouldn't be that much fun.

As I carry on, I'll probably be posting fewer screen-shots per turn, but I wanted to take quite a few at the beginning so that people who haven't played the game yet can get the flavour for it.

What do you guys think so far?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Re: [Civ V LP] Enrico's Hat Conquers the World- Game Thread

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Very nice so far. I may have to find Civ V for myself and give it a try.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Nice topic so far. Curious to see how the story continues
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Those are some huge formatbreaking images.....
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Thanas wrote:Those are some huge formatbreaking images.....
Ya, ur right, learning curve for me, gotta learn how to shrink them. hmmm. I'm using Steam's photos for the URL, perhaps I change some settings there? I'm worried that if I start trying to shrink them manually they'll be messed up somehow.

No "historical quotes" in this LP btw, that's ur speciality and I am no match. Everyone will have to make do with my lame puns :P
Is it scary that those thoughts pop into my head while I'm playing?
Last edited by Tribble on 2015-12-01 10:31am, edited 1 time in total.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I suggest using GIMP. It is free and easy to use, just right click on the image, open in GIMP then scale them. 900 pixel is the width length I have set as a limit for myself.

If you want to only select parts of an image:
Load in gimp
press R - this opens the selextion tool
after you selected the portions of the image, press Ctrl+c, then Ctrl - Shift - V. This creates a new image out of your selection.
Press Ctrl-E to export it, just make sure you select png or jpg by adding .png and .jpg as filename.

This is easy and you can easily edit 80 images in less than 40 minutes that way.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Thanks that will definitely come in handy. Does it upload files as well? I'm using my Steam Account's screenshot library for the URLs. Would I be able to upload the edited images onto steam? Or do I need to use something else?

EDIT: I really shouldn't be typing that fast.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I suggest using imgur. It is "free" (all images become their property but good luck selling those anyway), stable and quick to use.

You do however need to rename your files like 1.jp, 2.jpg, 3.jpg if you want them in order.
------------
------------
My LPs
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Format seems fine for me....but I do have a large monitor.

Regarding the game, looks good as far as your starting position. Sucks that you got Venice though...that's going to be a bit of a handicap.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

I've officially been tempted to go back to Civilization by this thread. Just a matter of whether it's V or Beyond Earth.

Thanks.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Borgholio wrote:Format seems fine for me....but I do have a large monitor.
Well on my 17 inch I got to scroll to the right to see the last 10 or 15%, on my smaller 14 inch it is pretty much unreadable.
------------
------------
My LPs
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Thanas wrote:
Borgholio wrote:Format seems fine for me....but I do have a large monitor.
Well on my 17 inch I got to scroll to the right to see the last 10 or 15%, on my smaller 14 inch it is pretty much unreadable.
That's weird. I have a 15 inch monitor and I don't have to scroll at all! In fact, the pics take up maybe 1/3-1/2 of the screen. That's why I haven't noticed it being a problem. My pics are 1366x728, which is the resolution of my monitor and not exactly giant- size these days.

Ummm, could the forum settings / changes have something to do with it? When I see the page it looks like the forum has been set to an "old" style resolution instead of widescreen, as I have two black bars on either side. The whole thing seems shrunk a bit.

Obviously I'm going to change it if people are having issues, but I'm just curious.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Did you "zoom" out with CTR and mouse wheel? Because that is what I have to do to see it. Then again, maybe I just always viewed this board in zoom mode..the plot thickens.
------------
------------
My LPs
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

You have to remember that that's 1300+ width after you add the sidebar which depending on your theme can be on the far left of the image forcing the entire page to scroll noticeably. If your sidebar is on the right you probably won't even notice as you need not scroll.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah that is it. I got it on the left.
------------
------------
My LPs
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Oh ok, my sidebar is on the right? Assuming that by sidebar you mean everyone's display pics and stuff?

Ok.... so I suppose I should still change all the pics as some people will have their sidebars on the left?
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Oh ok, my sidebar is on the right? Assuming that by sidebar you mean everyone's display pics and stuff?

Ok.... so I suppose I should still change all the pics as some people will have their sidebars on the left?

And btw, thanks everyone for the feedback. This game is starting to get pretty interesting!

Gah, the dreaded double-post.
Last edited by Tribble on 2015-12-01 03:11pm, edited 2 times in total.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Tribble wrote:Oh ok, my sidebar is on the right? Assuming that by sidebar you mean everyone's display pics and stuff?
Yep, that's the thing.
Please.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Fair enough.

Thanas, is it possible for you to unlock a post so that I could redo the pictures? Should the entire thing be deleted and started over with appropriate sized pics? Or should I just carry on? Your call lol
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

If you PM me updated links I can just edit them in. Won't be able to find time for that until Friday though. :)

No need to restart the whole thing though.
------------
------------
My LPs
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Thanas wrote:If you PM me updated links I can just edit them in. Won't be able to find time for that until Friday though. :)

No need to restart the whole thing though.
Thanks that'd be great!

And no worries, it's probably going to take until at least Friday for me to figure out the controls :P
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Part 2: Smaller Pictures, Bigger Bribes

Quick Recap; From Turns 1-50, some shit happened.

Now back to the story.

So, my warrior from last turn went into the ruins...

And discovered some technology!

This a big discovery. It allows me to build libraries and Embassies with other civs. More importantly, it's highly likely that I'm the first civ to discover this, which would allow me a good head start on the Great Library World Wonder. As you can imagine, a World Wonder is a building that can only be built once by one civ in the game, and it usually gives big bonuses to whichever civ finishes it. In this case the Great Library adds a library to the city that build it, 2 greater writer slots (which could be used to boost culture) and a free tech. Having a library and another free tech at this stage of the game would help me maintain my tech-lead. Only downside is that world wonders are bloody expensive and take a long time to build.

The question is, will I win the race? Especially with Wonder-Hog nearby?

I made contact with the Ethiopians:

Finally someone who is half-decent.

Ethiopia usually makes a good friend as they tend to play defensively (especially because their unique civ ability gives them combat bonuses against larger neighbours). The only downside is that they hate warmongers, and guess what I'll be doing a lot of eventually?

Soon Egypt asked if they could trade for some of my marijuana incense:

I wonder if drugs and candy-canes are a good mix?

Seeing as that was enough money to purchase a unit if needed, I decided to go for it.

The Fiendish Dr. Wu also wanted some incense:

It'd better not be used for Anaconda Malt Liquor, or there will be hell to pay

Next I had to deal with some barbarians:

Note the barbarian archer near the centre. Obviously there's a new camp somewhere that I'll have to deal with.

My archers have to be pretty well trained if they can shoot over the coastline and into a barbarian camp several miles away.
Either that or they are taking one-hell of a steroid.

I understand the premise for ranged combat, and it works really well, but it's situations like this where it can look rather silly. Maybe they should have set it so that ranged units (or at least pre-artillery ones) can only fire into an immediate hex of water.

Around this time, I decided to check on the Chinese, just to make sure that they weren't planning on stabbing me in the back. The result?

What the hell?

Apparently they covet my lands. Is it because they are close to my territory, and desire more room to expand?

Nope.

As you can see on the minimap, China's capital is half-way across the continent, and their territory is nowhere near mine. In fact, the Chinese can build quite a few cities before they would run out of room on this side of the map. And they are closer to the Egyptians and Romans than they are to me!

Now, you might be thinking that this has to do with the more-aggressive settings and domination victory, however this is not the case. In virtually every Civ V game I've played some of the AIs will always be coveting your lands, whether it makes any sense or not. I'm fine with the concept because some civs should want to conquer their neighbors, but when the map is mostly empty and the civ is ridiculously far away it comes across as the A.I. being crazy/stupid. Note that there is a separate negative modifier for "our close borders spark tensions" which can stack up.

Well, now that I knew that the Fiendish Doctor Wu can never be trusted (surprise), I turned my attention to the other barbarian camp that spawned:

the battle commences

My army advances in a stack, while the barbarians try their best to spawn units out of nowhere

Just as I am about to win...

Surprise again, motherfucker!

I took the camp, but the other barbarian decided to make a run for it. Oh no sir, no running away from me, you'll finish what you started!

Around this time, The Assyrians decided that they had had enough of Attila and declared war:

Agrippina doesn't look to good atm

And the Assyrians took it the next turn.

Now you might be wondering: why is one of Attila's cities named Agrippina, of all things? Well, Attila wasn't very well known for his city-building, and his capital is merely named "Attila's Court." One of the features of the game that every city that the Huns found after their capital steals the name from another civ. IMO would have been cool if they had figured out a way for them to be a nomadic civ, at least early on.

Having earlier built a shrine, I gained enough "faith" points to found a pantheon of gods (all focused around me of course!). This is the first step towards founding an organized religion. The pantheon you choose will give you a bonus. In this case, there were two I had to choose from: one would increase the culture and faith of my incense tiles, while the other would increase the faith on my desert tiles. I ended up going with the ladder since I had a lot more desert tiles than incense tiles, and the extra faith would help me found a religion sooner. Alas, I don't have a screenshot to show you the choices.

The barbarian continued to run away...

I'll get you my pretty! And your little dog too!

And it was eventually slaughtered:
I just happened to capture a screenshot where the last barbarian was surrendering (you can't pause animations mid-battle). Naturally this made no difference in my decision to execute him on the spot.

I encountered Antwerp... somehow

Maybe my warrior had telepathic abilities?

It took me awhile to figure it was because they had sent the warrior out. Still odd that I get to see where they are located even though I haven't explored their territory.

Betty continued to run into barbarians, as usual.

Note the captured settler. This is why you always escort your settler folks. I'm willing to bet it was Attila's.

And another barbarian archer appeared, meaning another bloody camp had spawned.

Is the camp in that one tiny little corner of my area where I do not have Line of SIght?

Of course it is.

After taking out the latest and greatest barbarian camp, I finally had some good news:

Look on my works, ye bitches, and despair!

Naturally I picked the most expensive tech (Philosophy) as my choice. This allowed me to enter the Classical era:

I just said that.

In Civilization V, entering a new era means more than just a change in the flavour of the units and music. There are certain game effects which take place once a civ / certain number of civs reach a particular era. I'm not sure if anything happens in the Classical era though.

My favourite crazy neighbour asked me to join a war against Santa-Claus Poland.

And he even promised to let me keep some of Santa's elves!

I declined his gracious offer. To my surprise, he didn't throw a chalice at me this time.

I continued advancing my social policies

Bought my first ship to combat pirates:

Not to be outdone, another one of my archers shot over a forest to hit some pirates travelling along the coast

I'll bet they didn't expect that!

The archer was probably able to do that because it was on a hill. Still silly to look at though.

Mr. Crazy-pants decided to build a city near my first target:

Yep, he'll have to die someday.

The city placement here is good from a production standpoint... but its not very clever from a defensive standpoint. Why? The city is sitting on palins, so it receives no extra defensive bonus. And the hills which could be used to hinder armies are behind it. Unless a road is built, the hills will slow their own armies down more than mine. A far better location would have been the forest/hill to the left of the horses and cattle because it would cover attacks from both me and Poland. Or f they needed access to the coast, the hill with the sheep. As it is, I'll have little trouble taking it when the time comes.

Oh, and guess what building that city means for our relationship?

Yep, he now covets my lands too!

I sent a couple of ships to do some exploring

And discovered Gibraltar, another Natural Wonder.

yay?

Then I produced a Great Merchant, since Venice gets one after researching Optics.

One of Venice's unique abilities is that it can convert a city state by using the Great Merchant. I guess I won't have to lay waste to Bratislava after all.

Meanwhile the war between the Assyrians and the Huns continued, and Betty decided to watch the carnage.

After some initial successes by the Assyrians, both sides seem to have stale-mated. The fun part is that if one of the cities is close to falling, I'll send Betty in to try and take it, then burn it to the ground.

At this point the Egyptians and Ethiopians decided that the three of us should hold hands and sing Kumbaya:

Whatever.

Actually, what happened was that I agreed to declare friendship with each of them separately. Since they are both friendly with each other, I then receive a bonus for friendly with their neighbours.

After we made peace and love and all that crap, my ship discovered that the Chinese had captured a city-state.

The Romans decided to enter the fray and declared war on Attila. I sent Betty over to check things out.

Good luck taking that city with two warriors

My loyal Great Merchant arrived at Bratislava to try and bribe it over to my side. Little did he know...

That they were to be bribed not by money, but by offering him as a sacrifice to their gods :twisted:

Here is my territory so far:

And as it is now turn 101, here are some stats (for us nerds)

Cultural overview:

Not much to see yet.

Social Policies:

Tech Tree:

Military:

Economic:

Religion:

And Demographics:

I love the fact that I lead the world with a 15% literacy rate.

Summary:

Built a wonder, got a tech lead, killed loads of barbarians. Watched a war play out, though I didn't join in (yet). Have the AI get pissed off at me for no real reason. Back-stabbed a loyal servant for financial gain. All in a day's work!

So, what do you think good sirs?
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

Tribble wrote:So, what do you think good sirs?
If that guy succeeds at enslaving Santa he is not going to leave any presents for your children. That's no good. :|

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The images are much better and I enjoy the story so far.
------------
------------
My LPs
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

So how does capturing cities work as Venice compared to a different faction? You said it was different at the start but I've never payed Civ V (or any of them) so I'm slightly confused as to how you managed to "take over" Bratislava as it were.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.