Anyone intersted in a LP Civ V?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Tribble
Sith Devotee

Anyone intersted in a LP Civ V?

Post by Tribble »

I cranked out good ol' Civ V the other day, and was quickly reminded of its... various quirks. Among the highlights of my game:

Babylon founding a city next to my territory... them demanding that I don't settle anywhere near them. I also received negative modifiers for close borders (ya think?) and them coveting my lands.

One of the Celt's spies were killed in my territory. I forgave them. Two turns later, the Celts were caught red-handed stealing one of my techs. I asked them to stop spying on me. I received a negative modifier because I asked them to stop spying on me after they were caught, and they publicly denounced me the next turn. Oh and btw, they were at "friendly" status.

Egypt was coveting my lands despite being halfway across the map and having plenty of space to build several more cities. Apparently the fact that I exist is enough to piss them off.

Babylon declared war, and after fending off their attack, I captured their closest city. The Germans, who were in the midst of a prolonged war with Persia and had just captured the Persian capital, made sure to take time out of their campaign to publicly denounce me for "warmongering". Even though I was the defender, and even though Babylon refused peace until I had captured the city.

Carthage pledging to protect a city-state, then getting pissed off that the city-state was already an ally of mine since the start of the game.

Korea deciding to declare war by attacking my heavily-fortified city with a single obsolete unit (did they seriously think that their spearman was going to beat a city on a hill with walls, a castle and a crossbowman?) That particular moment of stupidity is only matched by a game I had in Civ 3 where India declared war and attacked a fortified infantry stack on a mountaintop... with a single war-elephant. And of course, the Koreans were at "friendly" status when they did so.

Egypt wonder hogging (seriously they must have build at least 2/3 of the wonders that game) then getting seriously pissed off that I beat them to one. Said negative modifier appeared to last the rest of the game.

That was without having to deal with such joyful people like the Aztecs, Zulus, Russians and Huns. Despite the expansions and patches over the years, the A.I. seems as crazy as ever.

So this got me thinking: would anybody want to see an LP Civ V? I can't seem to recall the last time we had one of those.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: Anyone intersted in a LP Civ V?

Post by Borgholio »

Sure, I'd enjoy reading one. I love Civ 5, and the AI quirks I've actually put to use sometimes, as an excuse to take a few more cities, for instance.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
InsaneTD
Jedi Knight

Post by InsaneTD »

It's all fun and games until you get invaded, then you win. :P

I'd follow it.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Cool!

Ok, so here are some settings I will definitely be using:

Random Civs - good to keep things mixed up. That would include me, of course.

3 units per tile mod - IMO this is the best mod that ever came out for civ. It avoids the "carpet of doom" while still requiring you to think carefully about what to put into a stack. Plus the A.I. is considerably better at combat, which probably stems from the fact that it doesn't have to maneuver quite as much.

No Death Robots- Sorry guys, but if I wanted sci-fi I'd be doing "Beyond Earth". I've always found it silly that a "modern" war in civ 5 involves giant robots smashing up the place. Plus they are pretty unbalanced - whoever has the most uranium and builds the most death robots tends to curb-stomp their opposition (no pun intended :P) And speaking of which...

No science / time victories - if a civ wants to win, the have to become dictator for life, either via war, the ballot box, or selling the most jeans.

Continents map setting - to keep things balanced

Normal game speed

Starting worker for everyone - just to speed things up a little without having to change the game speed (seriously, everything seems to take forever in civ V)

Prince / King difficulty - I must admit I'm just an average gamer that does average gamer things. As amusing as it would be to watch me get crushed right off the bat, that would make my LP pretty short!

Here are some things I'd like an opinion on:

Should I have an aggressive A.I.? It does tend to make the A.I.s from "stupid" to "batshit insane", and it might be fun watching people like Ghandi declare war at the drop of the hat (god forbid he's the first to get nukes).

Raging barbarians? Because I wouldn't have enough problems to deal with?

Era / Tech limit?

Picking some of the civs? To make sure our favourite crazies like Montezuma, Shaka and Attila make an appearance?

Should I play "in-character" with whatever leader I end up with? That could end up with some interesting decision making eg. if I'm Ghandi I'd be peaceful... until I get nukes, at which point I'd kick of a nuclear Armageddon.

Any other thoughts?
"I reject your reality and substitute my own!" - The official Troll motto, as stated by Adam Savage
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Tribble wrote:Any other thoughts?
I am not sure what alternate victory modes the game has. But if it's anything like Civ 4 it's going to have Cultural and a few others that are basically gimmick victory conditions. You turned some of those off already but like you should turn the rest of too. They just ain't fun. Also totally try and go for a space race victory if it exists in civ 5.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Purple wrote:
Tribble wrote:Any other thoughts?
I am not sure what alternate victory modes the game has. But if it's anything like Civ 4 it's going to have Cultural and a few others that are basically gimmick victory conditions. You turned some of those off already but like you should turn the rest of too. They just ain't fun. Also totally try and go for a space race victory if it exists in civ 5.
Civ V's victory conditions are Space-race (science victory), Culture victory (via tourism), time based (highest score), Diplomatic victory (via getting enough votes to be elected UN leader, lots of bribing/threatening in that one!), and Domination (seize all capitals).

Only problem I have with the Space-Race is its very much "do nothing until you win." You just sit there and build, and occasionally the A.I. will throw something at you. Even a cultural victory in Civ V requires a lot more work.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I've always found it silly that a "modern" war in civ 5 involves giant robots smashing up the place.
You actually have games that last long enough for both sides to be slugging it out with Death Robots? :)
Should I have an aggressive A.I.? It does tend to make the A.I.s from "stupid" to "batshit insane", and it might be fun watching people like Ghandi declare war at the drop of the hat (god forbid he's the first to get nukes).
If you're only going for a domination victory (no science or space race) then I'd say yes. You want war and lots of it. No time for building spaceships.
Era / Tech limit?
Ancient with no tech limit. It's more fun when starting out with nothing more than a dude with a club. Oh and on that note, I also prefer longer games myself. Marathon games actually give me time to do stuff with my units before I'm forced to upgrade them. Having game speed too high during the industrial or modern eras is a bit hectic.
Picking some of the civs? To make sure our favourite crazies like Montezuma, Shaka and Attila make an appearance?
Random. Adds to the mystery. :)
Should I play "in-character" with whatever leader I end up with? That could end up with some interesting decision making eg. if I'm Ghandi I'd be peaceful... until I get nukes, at which point I'd kick of a nuclear Armageddon.
Nah, just be yourself. Even in-game many of the leaders don't act the way they would in real-life.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

You actually have games that last long enough for both sides to be slugging it out with Death Robots? :)
Yep! Usually it's because I've sat around and waited for said death robots to appear. Or maybe it's because I'm not that good :P
If you're only going for a domination victory (no science or space race) then I'd say yes. You want war and lots of it. No time for building spaceships.
Sounds like a plan. I'll throw in raging barbarians too, because why not? And 15 civs, because that's how many civs there were by default in Civ III, and I'm sticking to it damnit!
Ancient with no tech limit. It's more fun when starting out with nothing more than a dude with a club. Oh and on that note, I also prefer longer games myself. Marathon games actually give me time to do stuff with my units before I'm forced to upgrade them. Having game speed too high during the industrial or modern eras is a bit hectic.
Well, I am going to throw in the worker. Actually, what I'll prob end up doing is playing epic/marathon (to increase research times) while using a mod that increases unit production. It shouldn't break the game too much. Or it might lead to some odd results.
Random. Adds to the mystery. :)
Random it is. :D
Nah, just be yourself. Even in-game many of the leaders don't act the way they would in real-life.
What, you mean real-life Ghandi wasn't fanatically devoted to starting the Nuclear Armageddon?!?!?! :shock:
(btw, yes I do know why he acts that way, I remember having some fun moments with him in Civ 1) :P

A much more accurate portrait of Civ V's Ghandi. I'm not kidding.

And I tend play as a warmonger, whose goal is to make the sky rain with the blood of my enemies (and friends!) :twisted: Or wonder hog, because why not?

Alrighty then, I suppose I ought to get started! Btw, this will be my first LP, so ya.... lol
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Oh, btw one more question: how do you post regular images? I don't think I've ever actually done that before :?
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Tribble wrote:Oh, btw one more question: how do you post regular images? I don't think I've ever actually done that before :?
1. Take screenshot and save it.
2. Upload image to an image sharing site.
3. Get image link from that site.
4. Use the IMG tags with that link.

Code: Select all

[img]link_to_image[/img]
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Tribble
Sith Devotee

Post by Tribble »

Purple wrote:
Tribble wrote:Oh, btw one more question: how do you post regular images? I don't think I've ever actually done that before :?
1. Take screenshot and save it.
2. Upload image to an image sharing site.
3. Get image link from that site.
4. Use the IMG tags with that link.

Code: Select all

[img]link_to_image[/img]
Thanks!