World of Warcraft: Legion

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: World of Warcraft: Legion

Post by TheFeniX »

For T-mog: Closest thing is Moroes' Famous Polish. Something odd about it I just noticed (and tested) after reading the comments is that it messes with the foot mesh on my characters turning them into more of a shoe with a foot texture applied to it, rather than just a bare foot. That's... really weird actually.

Anyways, I use it in dungeons sometimes to get laughs after a boss fight: "That guy hit me so hard, he knocked my clothes off."

The real shame for me, is even though they added another "Caber Toss" trinket in Legion is that's there's still no toy for Caber Tossing. Closest I've found is the Flippable Table, but it's just not the same.
Knife
Emperor's Hand

Post by Knife »

Broomstick wrote:
Knife wrote:So, came back to WOW after... 7 years I think. When I left, it was during BC but early in it and not even close to Witchking. So mostly vanilla. It has changed a lot but so far so good for me. Most my old toons were lost, Customer Support couldn't find most of them. Found a 67 Rogue and worked with that for a bit till my brother wanted me to jump servers to his and join the horde. Leveling is a lot smoother than I remember. Pally dps is a 3 button joke, but kind of like Pally tank and Pally healz.
So, presuming you got the most recent version, or at least up to Draenor, did you take advantage of the character boost button for either level 90 or 100? If so, how did you feel about it?

I level-boosted one character and I have mixed feelings about doing so, but I'd be interested in how other people view that relatively new feature and their experiences with it.
I plan on it but haven't yet. Mostly due that it has been so long that I should level at least one toon to cap so see the game before jumping a couple toons up to cap for end game stuff.
They say, "the tree of liberty must be watered with the blood of tyrants and patriots." I suppose it never occurred to them that they are the tyrants, not the patriots. Those weapons are not being used to fight some kind of tyranny; they are bringing them to an event where people are getting together to talk. -Mike Wong

But as far as board culture in general, I do think that young male overaggression is a contributing factor to the general atmosphere of hostility. It's not SOS and the Mess throwing hand grenades all over the forum- Red
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

A new round of hotfixes are up:
The "complete a world quest" Hall upgrade has been buffed from a 3 day CD to 18 hours. While still not usable on blue+ WQs, this fixes can make it worth taking depending on your endgame goals.

On the 3rd: Prot Warrior Shield Slam was made to generate more rage, which will help with the rage starvation, but Ignore Pain took a 33% nerf which is pretty far out there. As Prot War was already pretty strong, I don't know where this change will sit. At the least, Prot Warrior should go back to being more enjoyable to tank with as it was when the expansion launched.

Plans are in the works for 7.1to make the expansion more "alt friendly."
Reputation will not be made account-wide, no, but we will be easing a couple of linked features with 7.1.

First, Court of Stars and The Arcway will now unlock account-wide once each individual dungeon is completed once on an account.

Second, World Quests will no longer have the "friendly" reputation unlock requirement for secondary/alt characters. Once you hit 110 on an alt, you will immediately receive a quest to speak with Khadgar to receive your Flight Master's Whistle and unlock World Quests, as long as you've already unlocked World Quests on your main.

Hope this answers your concerns! :)
I'm hoping an increase in XP for dungeons comes along as well.
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

Speaking as someone who hasn't played since Cataclysm, or even raided since Burning Crusade, are there any major gameplay changes I should be aware of? I've been getting a mad wave of nostalgia filling me and once I have a new computer (my current one is ..... shit) I'm thinking of rerolling. The talent system changes I'm already aware of... I used to be a huge Paladin / Shaman / Mage fan--also to a lesser extent, Druid--but I may try something new, too. I love tanking and DPS.

Also, probably gonna play Alliance. I played both factions in the past, but 75% of it has been Horde and I'm up for a refreshing experience.
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Dragon Angel wrote:Speaking as someone who hasn't played since Cataclysm, or even raided since Burning Crusade, are there any major gameplay changes I should be aware of?
Nothing that wouldn't make the game much easier to pick back up considering you're coming from Cata.

A few things: Many enchants and gems are no longer a thing, so those are much more about min/maxing for raid/Mythic content. Glyphs are all cosmetic now. Many rotations/priority systems are 2-3 buttons + a finisher or two. You can now switch specs (any spec your class can use) on the fly. Talents must be changed in a rested area or with a new "tome" that lets you change any of them for 1 minute. Most gear in Legion is "all stats" so it's useful for your class no matter the spec. Tabard leveling reps is gone. In Legion, all mobs scale to your level, no matter the zone, except "max level" zones.

You get one weapon for your spec in Legion and you dump relics into it (same way you would drop a gem into gear) to raise the ilvl and you farm power to buy talents for it.

Honestly, this has to be the best time to get back in and relearn the game because, compared to cata, it's very streamlined.

Many zones in Pandas were fun to level in and the dungeons were also quite fun. I found WoD, outside of Shadowmoon valley range from boring to outright frustrating, some of the dungeons were good, but having Skyreach as your only dungeon for the last 4 levels was annoying.

Tanking is also the easiest/boring it's ever been. Your survivability is about as out of your hands as it ever has been, with the exception of something like pre-4.0 Prot Paladin (where you threw down Consecration and AFKed for 15 seconds). Demon Hunters all around are fun and allowed to have probably the most amount of buttons to press outside Druid.

If you've got the itch, I can't think of a better time to get back into the game. As lackluster as endgame is, Legion has two zones that are still fun to level through 2-3 times. One zone with some of the most hilariously bad voice-acting, it's great. And 1 zone that is "meh." Most of my beefs with this expansion center around endgame and/or storytelling. To me, at least, I got my moneys worth out of the leveling experience.
Dragon Angel
Jedi Knight

Post by Dragon Angel »

Ah I see. I suppose transmog would help get past the monotony of staring at the same weapon forever. The talent system change is definitely a huge annoyance off my list, considering the amount of gold I ended up spending thanks to the old versions. :lol:

If professions' importances have indeed changed that much, then I guess I'll look into them again. I was honestly never much into those when I played / raided; enchanting and all the gathering professions were mostly what I did and they were decent moneymakers. It's probably time for me to try something new, like Alchemy I was doing when I began Cata and never really followed through with.

Mobs scaling to level sounds ... bizarre. I was imagining having a challenge against Hogger while at the level cap, but reading up it seems that is only in effect on the Broken Isles. Though, dying to Hogger at level 110 does give me an amusing mental image. :P
"I could while away the hours, conferrin' with the flowers, consultin' with the rain.
And my head I'd be scratchin', while my thoughts were busy hatchin', if I only had a brain!
I would not be just a nothin', my head all full of stuffin', my heart all full of pain.
I would dance and be merry, life would be would be a ding-a-derry, if I only had a brain!"
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Dragon Angel wrote:Ah I see. I suppose transmog would help get past the monotony of staring at the same weapon forever. The talent system change is definitely a huge annoyance off my list, considering the amount of gold I ended up spending thanks to the old versions. :lol:
Mogging Artifacts is weird. Either they've been patching it on the fly or I'm on crack. For my 2H, it's 250 to mog it. For my TWO 2Hs for Fury, it was like 50 gold total. Mogging them is either fairly cheap or stupid expensive, but I haven't mogged any in a while, so who knows what they're doing with it now.
If professions' importances have indeed changed that much, then I guess I'll look into them again. I was honestly never much into those when I played / raided; enchanting and all the gathering professions were mostly what I did and they were decent moneymakers. It's probably time for me to try something new, like Alchemy I was doing when I began Cata and never really followed through with.
You sort of missed the boat to make tons of money on proffs, but they are still decent money-makers. Jewelcrafting in particular. Even the uncut Rare gems go for (on my server) 5-7k. You armor crafting profs are pretty much DOA now unless you're selling the piece for the Obliterum quest (a 110 questline).

Alchemy is still bank due to raid pots and flasks, but the materials required to craft them has a lot of Alchs up in arms. However, it's hard to feel bad for them when they can make 3-9k off ONE of them.

Engineering is DOA. They really fucked it this expansion. It takes stupid expensive mats to level and basically offers a shitty upgraded jeeves. Also of note, they've had to nerf the profession quest twice. Once when it required (at like level 101) FEASTS to complete the quests. And again when part of it required a drop from a rare spawn in Burning Crusade.

I think a developer died one too many time to players with rocket boots. I also read they moved the Engineer Auction House from the Eng shop, to the underbelly. Blizzard really fucking hates Engineers lately.

On the professions front this game: You don't need to be skilled in a profession to perform legion tasks. At mining 100 and Herbalism ~50, my Demon Hunter can gather without issue. I assume the same applies to crafts. However, there ARE max level (800) crafts. But a lot of recipes and learned to "Rank 3" which just lowers the mats cost.

If you just want easy money: Herbalism, sell the herbs on the AH. Mining/JC: just prospect ore, get rare gems, make bank. There still might be money in milling herbs for Sallow Pigment, but the rush on all the cosmetic glyphs is mostly over.
Mobs scaling to level sounds ... bizarre. I was imagining having a challenge against Hogger while at the level cap, but reading up it seems that is only in effect on the Broken Isles. Though, dying to Hogger at level 110 does give me an amusing mental image. :P
Oddly, it happens in Legion, but also on Sunsong Ranch, for reasons I can't begin to fathom. But, I actually would love to see old quest content scale in difficulty AND rewards.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

Alchemy is making me steady money, and Draenor pots and flasks are still selling because they cost a crapload less than Legion pots and flasks but still give you a bit of advantage. Water breathing and water walking are also still selling. If you can make the panther mounts Jewelcrafting is a serious money-maker - I'm selling 3-4 of those a month at 15-17k profit each. My Enchanter is making more money from DE'ing greens and selling the dust. My Engineer is mostly selling goblin gliders these days.

Applause for a bit of humor after a quest, when you wake up in the first aid store in Dalaran:

Vicktor Ebonfall: "Well look who's come back from the dead! Lady, you've been unconscious for 3 days. I'm sure Khadgar will be relieved that his special pal is awake. Me on the other hand? Still a damned sea lion."

For some reason this really tickled me. Also adds a bit of color to the world at large, of course the docs in Azeroth are expected to handle crazy stuff like transformed people.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

Sam Vimes Theory of Economic Injustice
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I've been wanting to get back into WoW. Is it worth it four years after I last played it?
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

That's.... a pretty vague question considering the game you're talking about and us not knowing your playstyle. You might consider reading this whole thread. Ignore some of my rants if you want, but I do talk about specifics in what's bad AND what's good. Anyways: Where are you placing your value?

If $50 + a one month sub is worth knocking out most all the storyline content, then probably yes. I found enough value in that in the zones and stories provided, even though I don't like Highmountain. There's also only 4 leveling dungeons, 5 if you count redone Violet Hold at 105. There's more dungeons at 110, (Maw of Souls is fun) including some Mythic only (which are also tied into the storyline). Karazhan is coming out soon, also set to be Mythic only. Some of the class questlines are awesome when you actually get to do something rather than send NPCs out on missions.

Also of note, aside from the Manastorm stuff in Violet Hold, these dungeons don't have any real "spirit" to them. Man, even WoD had that back and forth between the bosses in Iron Docks: "Fire. FIRE!..... aim, THEN fire!"

That said: Getting to 110 in Legion was quite fun.

At endgame: the grind/gating is real and will club the shit out of you immediately. At this point, the only real way to get anything is through World Quests (AKA: Dailies 2.0 AKA Fallout 4/Skyrim Radient Questing). It gets old quick and the reps you decide to grind are on a 3-day treadmill (you can stack up to three 4 set missions bonuses, and they recharge 1 per day). Heroics are a joke and Mythic content is where things get done. So, you either have a guild with cool people in it to run with or you pug it and be miserable. The Mythic Keystone system convinces me Blizzard is so out of ideas, they have to cannibalize shit from their other games (Diablo 3) no one even liked. Even their World Quests daily system mimics Heroes of the Storm.

SKIP THIS RANT

The dev team, based on Q/A, has basically said they want WoW endgame to go back to pre-WotLK levels where not everyone could see all the content and certain classes will need to be a requirement. Also, Class Fantasy which they've updated to mean "Spec Fantasy," all of which adds up to "everyone loses what we think doesn't fit their spec but Fire Mages keep shit like "Ice Block" and "Ice Floes" because fuck you." Also (and this isn't a joke, this is the gist of what they said): "We can't buff Frost Mages because they might slowly become more powerful than Fire Mages and those Mages would feel bad they have to swap to Frost and lose their Artifact progress." Reading that as a Frost DK that now plays Unholy when I do anything: that was HILARIOUS.

START READING AGAIN

PvP is a joke in it entirety. I'm not going into it again because the problems are a rant in of themselves, but Blizzard has boondongled it so bad, I can sum it up with one example: "Tank specced characters now take 25% increase damage in PvP." That's a "I give up, I have no idea what I'm doing" patch. You cannot convince me otherwise. Worse than that, they've copied the CoD Prestige system, even taking the name. You now level up in PvP to get PvP talents.

If all you want to do is fuck around on a PvE server and do quest content: Legion is pretty solid.
If you want to dive into hard content and don't already have a friend-base to run with and/or don't want to go through the trouble of finding some: Legion is pretty fucking boring outside shit like Timewalking, Transmog, and the other QoL stuff they've added over the years.

STOP READING HERE

Sidenote: The content team for Legion really had their shit down and deserve all the money. But the guys in charge of balance and other mechanics are fucking clown-shoes. Watcher himself seems to be both completely out-of-touch with anyone in the playerbase not maining a Fire Mage and also totally arrogant about "this is our world, you just live here." This is not the same company that pushed WoW to WotLK levels of popularity and maintained those numbers through a long content drought.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I read your entire post but I thought I'd reply to this so you can get a sense of specificity in my desires:
TheFeniX wrote:That's.... a pretty vague question considering the game you're talking about and us not knowing your playstyle. You might consider reading this whole thread. Ignore some of my rants if you want, but I do talk about specifics in what's bad AND what's good. Anyways: Where are you placing your value?
My value is in completing quests, gaining levels, participating in raids, and PVPing. Keep in mind that my current character is at level 40 so there is possibly a lot of content for me to go through.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

The revamped Classic zones are starting to show their age, especially in the 40+ bracket. However, the plagelands stuff (especially Eastern) is engaging and fun. Burning Crusades is REALLY showing it's age. It's big, flat, and empty. On a PvP server: I wouldn't even bother with it because you and your quest givers will be dead a lot. Netherstorm is pretty fun though. WotLK zones are still big and flat, but the zones offer some solid questing. Only place I really didn't think was that great had to be Dragonblight. Great dungeons. Cata zones are also good and the dungeons are generally fun and engaging. Uldum gets old quick though. It's basically one big Indiana Jones reference, some of the quests are weird and said weirdness comes out of nowhere and kill the vibe of the zone for me.

Post-grind-nerf Pandas was some of the best questing outside WotLK I had, even many of the dailies. WoD, outside of Shadowmoon Valley for me was SNOOORE and since I never got pathfinder, I can't even fly around there. Shadowmoon wasn't even that great, it just didn't suck. I can't express both how much I hated pretty much everything about WoD and how glad I am to have skipped the expansion aside from coming back about a month before Legion. I have no idea how people put up with so little and such poor content for so long. Legion is a HUGE step in the right direction for questing provided you aren't on a PvP server.

I mean, people bagged on Cata, but those people were stupid. The only real issue with Cata was the difficulty of HEROIC content (ZOMG HEROICS ARE HARD, raids aren't braindead, and you have to work for epic loots!) and them gating the shit out of Molten Front with the Hyjal questline and the fucking awful terrible awful awful daily system. Just doing the rest of my Molten Front dailies at 110 to FINALLY get my mushroom chair made me want to punch my monitor remembering how much I hated that place. But I was raiding and my BiS trink (Dwyer's Caber) was a must have at the time.

Raiding: try and find some people that don't suck (not skillwise, but on a personal level) and you'll have fun. This tends to be true in all things. Pugging in this expansion is all kinds of terrible. It's basically that end of expansion "be iLvL 900 to run a raid that drop 550 gear, post AOTC, post Kingslayer, post PDH in microbiology" bullshit a month into the expansion. The current raid tier looks boring and from talking to my old tanking partner in crime from Pandas: it is not mechanically interesting. Pandas had some solid raids though.

PvP: a hot mess. Feel free to try it at cap. I did and it made me a dull-boy. I have no idea what lower brackets are like right now. I assume still twinks in Heirlooms galore. I said this before, but if I didn't know any better, I would assume Blizzard is intentionally trying to tank PvP. There are PvP world-quest in Legion. The idea of entering those areas makes me want to main the uninstall wizard.

The best part is, you could get your monies worth just out of the quest content, which you pay for upfront. Then just unsub if endgame isn't worth sticking around for. Come back when it is.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

JLTucker wrote:My value is in completing quests, gaining levels, participating in raids, and PVPing. Keep in mind that my current character is at level 40 so there is possibly a lot of content for me to go through.
I'm a very different playstyle than FeniX, but as someone more PvE than PvP (despite being mainly on a PvP server) you'll probably like the questing and leveling part. Raids? A lot depends on who you're grouping up with.

Also, you get a boost to 100 for one character with the new expansion so if you want to you can jump over a lot of levels to get into Legion, then go back and level your 40. Or roll a Demonhunter at that point.
A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. Leonard Nimoy.

Now I did a job. I got nothing but trouble since I did it, not to mention more than a few unkind words as regard to my character so let me make this abundantly clear. I do the job. And then I get paid.- Malcolm Reynolds, Captain of Serenity, which sums up my feelings regarding the lawsuit discussed here.

If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. - John F. Kennedy

JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Thanks, TheFeniX and Broomstick! I've decided to bite the bullet and start playing again
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I've got to talk to my buddies and find out what they have going on. I've done basically everything I've wanted besides getting my Horde pally to 110. Got my mushroom chair, Leather Love Seat, Purple Judgement set, Blazing Wings, Legendary Staff, among other things. I wish they'd open up the damned brawler's guild. I want to rank 10 again, but I'm not sticking around just for that. We had plans to get another 2 Shadowmournes to make more bank, but we're at Blood Infusion and neither of them want to just get that done (and you need at least 2, 3 with the classes we're going in with).

We rolled new Horde alts on a PvE server and have ANOTHER set of Ally alts on a PvE server (where my Father-in-law rolled). I want to level them, but we've been playing more Heroes of the Storm and Kyle made me update and bring my Ark server back online.

I WOULD like to at least lock at the rest of the questing we planned to do, but that doesn't seem like it's happening.I need to get an answer because I'm not going to continue to pay $15 a month to login just to try a shot at my Demon Hunter hidden artifact and see what proff WQs my DK has.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

I finished my first month as a WoW subscriber last night. I've got enough in-game currency to resubscribe but I'm going to let it lie fallow for a while.

I did spend a week playing a Frost DK, but for reasons I won't get into here I spent the rest of the month playing a Frost Mage instead. It was not because playing a Frost DK was bad per se, but the strategic mobility of the Mage - being able to teleport to any one of a dozen cities, a number of which have their own portals to even more locations - certainly made it more convenient to explore the variety of content on offer.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

If I was going to main a pure DPS class, Mage would most likely be it. Too much utility, always viable in some spec, and the ability to port around the cosmos means your hearthstone can be set anywhere. This utility has been diminished somewhat considering Garrison HSs and now Dalaran HSs, but it is still incredibly useful.

Fire and Frost (less so now) are still fun. Fire's only problem is that you need tons of crit for heating up procs but it's still a solid and fun leveling spec since the changes. I don't know about Arcane, but leveling with Rob: I group up mobs, and he Arcance Explosions them down in like 2-4 GCDs. It's pretty nice.

I hated mages for a year or so after leveling as Prot. Or really, any melee. The tool-kit Frost had against every melee class was insane. Not to mention their utility against other casters. Many other casters have mainly 1 (maybe 2) schools to choose from, but even being "Frost Locked" as a Frost Mage meant dick because you still had access to some solid Arcane and Fire spells, so their interrupt combined with spellsteal was just... whatever.

But actually playing one? Man, they are fun. Totally different PvE and PvP experience, like going from Plate to Rogue PvP: whole different ballgame. I assume Fire is even more fun now that you can dance around spamming Scorch to try and bait out Hot Streaks.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Between Flameblast, Phoenix's flame and the passive fireball crit boost, 40(ish)% crit is ok for pre-raid/mythic 5-man gear, it's like pre-legion fire where you needed 70+% crit to even start thinking about being viable for anything in fire spec.

the first 2 abilities are baseline for fire and 100% with 2 charges for flameblast and 3 for phoenix's flame and the fireball passive gives you a boost in crit for that ability each time you don't crit. there's also talents that allow you to get more heating up procs so it's not that bad.

Scorch is more of a high mobility PvE or PvP skill as for regular PvE it's not cost efficient to use tbh.

Oh and hot streak now works on flame strike as well pyroblast so you have a nice instant cast AoE that can be fairly easily spammed, now that they removed arc explotion and blizzard from fire spec.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Yea, Scorch is what Ice Lance was to Frost Mages back when it was the goto for PvP. Your main filler was Frost Bolt, but trying to hard cast it was almost always suicide in an engage vs melee. You were better off spamming Ice Lance and running around like a moron, waiting for Deep Freeze or your Elemental's root to come of CD then start blasting crit Ice Lances for Maximum Damage.™

Without Scorch, Fire would be DOA in PvP, as it was back in the day, against melee. Sure, if you're allowed to hardcast, you could WTFBBQ someone. Now, seeing a Frost vs properly geared Fire Mage (sometimes even Arcane) was hilarious. The Frost Mage would just disintegrate. In fact, Fire and Arcane seemed to also do solid against Hunters that weren't Beast Master, whereas Frost had serious issues with Hunters all throughout Cata.

When I PvPed regularly in Cata, Arcane and Fire Mages were Free-HKs, provided they didn't catch me with my pants down in a large engagement. They had very little mobility and control, you could just soak their opener with Anti-Magic, get in melee, and blast 2-3 Oblits. If they blink, you then Death Grip and chains (talented to root). Bam, dead Mage.

But Frost was dangerous even when you caught THEM with their pants down. Now it's flopped for Fire, I haven't even been able to catch one since Pandas. Though... to be honest, I haven't actually SEEN a lot of Mages out in the world in Legion. Haven't been attacked by the ones I've seen, so I have no idea how tough one is right now.

It's just kind of sad to see Frost Mage is in the same boat as Frost DK. But at least Frost DKs have on-demand cleave vs Unholy's DnD based. But Fire just does pretty much everything better than Frost Mage. And Arcane seems to be much better for burning leveling/dungeon trash. I still play Frost Mage though because fuck the haters.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

I'd say elemental shaman is better than it's been in awhile, too.

Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

If they wanted to buff Frost Mage, the way I'd do it is to give them some kind of mana sink. Everything a Frost Mage casts is incredibly cheap - Spell Steal is the only thing that ever dropped me below 100% mana - but you can't really take advantage of how much mana you have available when there isn't anything to spend it on.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Broomstick wrote:I'd say elemental shaman is better than it's been in awhile, too.
People are rightfully complaining about Ele's viability in harder content, but at least the spec is fun. Everything just works together even though people have ALSO complained about the Maelstrom mechanics. I personally like it. And you've got multple generators and spenders, even though there's a bit a Lightning Bolt spam. But, if you could still cast LB on the move, I wouldn't be able to find a single problem with the spec mechanically. I find no good reason Fire Mages can cast a filler on the move but they took this away from Ele when the spec already has damage and mobility issues.

And it helps that Enhance and Resto are about the same way. I feel like I have choices. I feel like I can screw up, so when I do things right, I get a sense of satisfaction. I don't NEED big numbers to feel like a badass, but I need something. Shaman gives me that. By contrast, even when Frost DK goes 100% right, nothing feels good about it. I didn't make any good choices that affected my performance, I just did my priority and RNG provided me the procs I needed when I needed them. And the numbers aren't good either, so I only feel badass every 5 Minutes when Arthas's Ult from Heroes is up, and I crit a trash pack for 2 million damage.
Grumman wrote:If they wanted to buff Frost Mage, the way I'd do it is to give them some kind of mana sink. Everything a Frost Mage casts is incredibly cheap - Spell Steal is the only thing that ever dropped me below 100% mana - but you can't really take advantage of how much mana you have available when there isn't anything to spend it on.
Blizzard has been shifting away from mana management for a lot of specs. For instance, both Prot and Ret Paladins really only use mana to spam a few Flash of Lights. It eats up all your mana in 2-4 casts, and your mana is back to full in like 10 seconds. Pretty sure only Arcane Mages worry about Mana. To be fair, Mana hasn't been an issue for Frost since I've played one in Pandas. I don't even think chain channeling Blizzard could make a dent in it, only Spell Steal.

But Spell Steal is so fucking stupidly OP and always has been, it's high mana cost and slow mana regen for Mages was about the only way to keep them in check. Man, having to bait a Steal on my bubble just so I could pop my wings got old real fucking quick. But there's still no better feeling than hitting a Mage with Dark Simulacrum then bating out a Blink or Ice Block... Maybe doing the same to a Warlock casting Chaos Bolt....

Anyways, the prune kind of hit them hard and the viable talents pull the spec into areas where you weren't getting icicles, not that the nerfs hadn't already made them hit like snowballs. Ray of Frost is just a high-damaging channel that does nothing else for the class. The freeze mechanic to build Fingers of Frost doesn't work on bosses and some elites and Glacial Spike has a HUGE cast time (and also rolls over another mechanic of the class, which is bad design). This has turned what I recall being one of the "fastest" Mage specs into one of the slowest. This is a problem I've noticed with neglected classes/specs: Blizzard only thinks how an ability fits visually or thematically, but many abilities should have synergy with the base rotation. If you look at a spec like Ele Shaman, you'll see what I mean. There's nearly no ability you continually hit because "it's there" or "it does big damage and now it's off CD." No, I'm building a bridge, piece by piece, with my button presses... then I smash the completed bridge over my target's head.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Just did the Kara attunement on my Mage and it was ok, the story part seemed logical and the choice of mythics, first Halls of Valor (for God-king Skovald) then Vault of the Wardens, Blackrook Hold and Violet Hold made sense (all 4 have ties to the legion in some form or another), after that there's few fairly easy solo quests near kara. It's short which is good I have no intrest on the old "vanilla horde side onyxia attunement" style marathon questlines, but at same time it's not too short and it feels like a natural part of the world rather then an artificial barrier.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

The new patch really put a fork in it for me. More Mythic only stuff: do Mythics to do more Mythics. The way I see it, if you were already behind on content and iLvL, this patch puts you even further behind. My FPS went from 85 to the 20s-30s (with drops). Many of my glyphs dissappeared, thankfully not Wraith Walker. The forums are a mess because 7.1 broke everything. There doesn't seem to be a single area of the game it didn't touch.

Rob and Kyle have pretty much already moved on, so I was just going to hang around a bit to see what, if anything, got better. But the game continues to annoy me in some way every time I log in on a max-level.

CRZ is active again and sealed the deal. Found a WQ that dropped a Blood Relic, last one to get all my Relics over 800 for my DK. So, a Warrior from Cho'Gall starts in on me, but I had all my Ghouls up after killing the last mob. I just popped Abom and Arbiter, and kited with Coils and Chains inside Charge range, and let the ghouls do work. Got him down, but was still missing a decent portion of my health and there was nothing around to use my Death Strike proc on.

Honestly, if the Warrior wasn't bad he could have kept himself up with Victory Rush procs off the dieing ghouls, then waited out my CDs. But WPvPers tend to tunnel, especially those from Cho'Gall or Bleeding Hollow.

That's when a Boomy (also from Cho'Gall) came in. So I just sent what was left of my ghouls at him and Wraith Walked away. Figured I was still going to die, but it would be easier to corpse walk if I was outside the WQ zone. Except NOPE: hit an invisible load screen and the Boomy dissappeared into the Nether. I live on another day in Undeath.

I'm just so fucking tired of seeing Horde from Cho'Gall and Bleeding Hollow on my server pushing ganks. They aren't even any good at it, due to what I assume is an over-reliance on numbers. And the randomness is what really kills me. That Blizzard allows them to ruin their own servers with imbalance is bad enough, but to push their bullshit on other realms, randomly, without warning? "We had a philosophy shift with CRZ." Yea, well: so did I, by using the unsub button.

Suffer well. I'm out.

Still think the Expansion is worth the money on the PvE content, provided you are either on a PvE realm or if you're on PvP and get to be the faction on top of the CRZ imbalance. But as a monthly investment at endgame: Expansion is a joke run by incompetents.
Broomstick
Emperor's Hand

Post by Broomstick »

TheFeniX wrote:People are rightfully complaining about Ele's viability in harder content, but at least the spec is fun. Everything just works together even though people have ALSO complained about the Maelstrom mechanics. I personally like it.
That's been a complaint about elemental from day one - lack of viability at the top of the end game. BUT - for soloing mixed with a bit of everything else it is in fact viable. If someone is looking more towards PvE but isn't that concerned with top-end raiding there's a lot that's good about it.