Internet troubles

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Internet troubles

Post by Batman »

As of yesterday, Firefox (and utorrent) refuse to work (or even start up). I can't even reinstall Firefox the usual way-it claims I have no internet Connection. Thing is I DO-Internet Explorer works just fine (since I'm obviously able to post this). Utorrent claimed it couldn't find dnsapi.dll if that's any help.
Windows Security Essentials couldn't fix the problem, neither could Spybot. A forced Firefox reinstall didn't do bupkis (other than upping the Version number on my Firefox entry in 'Programs'.)
Anybody got any ideas?
While Chrome starts. the only way to get on any Websites is via the IP address. Drakensang Online also won't fire up. STO also won't connect.
Setup stubs complain I have no Internet Connection.
'Next time I let Superman take charge, just hit me. Real hard.'
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'No. No dating for the Batman. It might cut into your brooding time.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: Internet troubles

Post by Purple »

Basically what you have is a missing or corrupted .dll file in your windows. What windows version are you using? You should be able to find a download of that DLL (or we should be able to find it for you) if we know that.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Batman
Emperor's Hand
Location: Seriously thinking about moving to Marvel because so much of the DCEU stinks

Post by Batman »

Win 7 64bit Pro german. Am currently on Mom's PC so I'll have fine internet for the next few hours so and I can download here and take it home.
'You're a princess from a society of immortal warriors. I'm a rich kid with issues. Lots of issues.'
'Tactically we have multiple objectives. So we need to split into teams.'-'Dibs on the Amazon!'
'Hey, we both have a Martian's phone number on our speed dial. I think I deserve the benefit of the doubt.'
'You know, for a guy with like 50 different kinds of vision, you sure are blind.'
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

In that case my best advice would be to look it up on Microsofts website and google a download for the .dll.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Microsoft's website was typically unhelpfull but assuming it 'is' dnsapi.dll (which given the nature of the problems seems likely to me), already got that, thanks.
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

Well, it seems to definite-new DLL brought a change in behaviour-Firefox and utorrent Launch once again, so it Looks like it 'is' the dll. Anybody know where to find this stuff on Mirrsoft's home page? Cause working it still ain't so I likely got a wrong Version.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Try resetting your net stack.

START | SEARCH | COMMAND <RIGHT CLICK> - RUN AS ADMIN
IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS
NBTSTAT -R
NBTSTAT -RR
NETSH INT RESET ALL
NETSH INT IP RESET
NETSH WINSOCK RESET
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Try doing SFC (system file checker) to see if any other files are missing.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Specifically, you'll want to run the command 'sfc /scannow' (no quotes) from an elevated command prompt. In Windows 7, the easiest and fastest way to get to an elevated command prompt is to either press the Windows key or click the Start button, type 'cmd' (no quotes), then press Ctrl+Shift+Enter.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

That seems to have done the trick. Everything's up and working again. Now to get rid of that damned adware...
Batman
Emperor's Hand

Post by Batman »

EXTREMELY LATE GHETTO EDIT: Thanks, everybody.