Quick question about HDMI slot in monitor.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Quick question about HDMI slot in monitor.

Post by Enigma »

I'm planning on getting a new monitor today and I want to know if there is a way to share the HDMI between the monitor and the PS3?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Re: Quick question about HDMI slot in monitor.

Post by Starglider »

Are you trying to connect two HDMI sources to one HDMI display? If so you should buy a monitor with two HDMI inputs, although switchboxes exist and are not that expensive.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Starglider wrote:Are you trying to connect two HDMI sources to one HDMI display? If so you should buy a monitor with two HDMI inputs, although switchboxes exist and are not that expensive.

I'll get a switchbox. Thanks.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Enigma wrote:
Starglider wrote:Are you trying to connect two HDMI sources to one HDMI display? If so you should buy a monitor with two HDMI inputs, although switchboxes exist and are not that expensive.
I'll get a switchbox. Thanks.
The problem is that most cheap switchboxes disrupt the HDCP connection between the source and the display. I have a 4x2 matrix switcher from the early days of HDMI, and it has this problem; the PC to projector connection is fine, because it isn't encrypted, but the Xbox/PS4/BluRay to projector connection is. You have to select the input before powering up the console, because if you switch it while using the console it will lose the HDCP connection and not work again until restarted. More expensive switchers don't have this issue because they fully decrypt and re-encode the signal; I stopped using that switchbox when I got an A/V receiver with enough HDMI inputs.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Alternatively, if you're already using external speakers (which I would be, since the tiny-ass speakers they put in most monitors sound just awful), you could connect your monitor to your PC using the DVI cable that's likely to come with it, and then you can use the HDMI port for your PS3 without buying anything extra. Unless your computer doesn't have a DVI port, that is, then you'll have to either go with Starglider's suggestion or get a DVI -> HDMI adapter.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Executor32 wrote:Alternatively, if you're already using external speakers (which I would be, since the tiny-ass speakers they put in most monitors sound just awful), you could connect your monitor to your PC using the DVI cable that's likely to come with it, and then you can use the HDMI port for your PS3 without buying anything extra. Unless your computer doesn't have a DVI port, that is, then you'll have to either go with Starglider's suggestion or get a DVI -> HDMI adapter.
The monitor has both HDMI and VGA ports (I've got some VGA to DVI adapters). But if I use the VGA\DVI on the computer wouldn't that lead to lesser graphics quality compared to HDMI? Also, if I do connect one to the PC and the other to the PS3, would I have to shut one down to use the other? I assume.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Enigma wrote:The monitor has both HDMI and VGA ports (I've got some VGA to DVI adapters). But if I use the VGA\DVI on the computer wouldn't that lead to lesser graphics quality compared to HDMI?
Yes and it might not work at all if you computer only has DVI-D; modern budget graphics have started to leave off the DVI-A functionality, because it's hopelessly obsolete.
Also, if I do connect one to the PC and the other to the PS3, would I have to shut one down to use the other? I assume.
No. All monitors with multiple inputs support multiple active inputs.

That said what kind of piece of junk monitor has a single HDMI port and a single VGA port, but no DVI or DisplayPort inputs? Is it now on sale after being forgotten in a basement since 2006? Or by 'getting a new monitor' did you mean 'getting a second-hand monitor for free'?
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Starglider wrote:<snip>

That said what kind of piece of junk monitor has a single HDMI port and a single VGA port, but no DVI or DisplayPort inputs? Is it now on sale after being forgotten in a basement since 2006? Or by 'getting a new monitor' did you mean 'getting a second-hand monitor for free'?
AOC 24" E2476VWM6. Bought new from Microcenter.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!