Neverwinter Nights 2: Multiplayer

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Neverwinter Nights 2: Multiplayer

Post by TheFeniX »

I lost my copy, so grabbed another off GoG. I have to admit, I didn't actually play this game much. A couple of guys (and a girl, but whatever) got me into this at my old gaming community. We played a bit, but maybe only 8 or so hours before everyone's schedule got messed up and it died. Anyways, I bought it again for me and a buddy and information seems to be sparse. So, if anyone with some experience can offer some info, I would appreciate it.

I know there's no "real" way to do co-op. You basically run a server which sets up a persistent world. How viable would playing in this be for 2 people with no GM? When I played, we had 4 people and 1 GM, he spawned in monsters and did other random stuff, but what's going on in the default world that is setup? Could we just join, pick up some quests, and go from there? I got the files transfering to my server before bed, need to hit it with a hammer tomorrow.

There's more than a few active servers our there, the popular seeming to be a Baulder's Gate remake. We may try and jump into one of these to get used to the game. I know this runs more like an MMO, but we're basically looking for Skyrim with MP (note, the co-op mod is barely workable even if Skyrim wasn't crash happy). Or, more to the point: we're looking for Fable 3 co-op but.... you know... not boring.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Re: Neverwinter Nights 2: Multiplayer

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

NWN(2) multi is largely dependent on the toolset. i.e., what module are you playing? Someone can create entire hand-crafted modules with gazillions of hours of content, but the nature of that content varies wildly. There's plenty of such modules uploaded to various hub sites, but I haven't kept up with it in years so I couldn't tell you what the best sites are. From there, you just have to pick out modules that look cool/interesting/fun for your playstyle. I'm sure they exist, it's just a matter of downloading the right modules.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I derped. You can co-op this game. It's a little janky, but it works. Because my server is on a DMZ, I had to setup Remote Access for my buddies who want to play when I host on my PC and just bypass my port forwards through direct connect. We got a little way through the original tutorial and I didn't feel like smashing anything, so I call it a win.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I did find a way to run co-op on a dedicated server. NWN2 is just one of those games: it'll do about everything you want it to, you just have to find it. And a lot of the information was either never there or lost to the ravages of time. It's nice now that the server can handle all the saves (I've set it to autosave every 10 minutes, then load that save via script if I have to restart the server) and I can run whatever character I want. We just made it to Neverwinter, so we can dump all the useless NPCs with the exception of the Rogue. Unfortunately, NWNX (a server life tracker and restart system) only recognizes -module, and not -load, in the command line. So, there's no way to auto-restart my server. It's not a huge deal, but having to remote to my server for that gets annoying. I also don't feeling like installing as a service.

I had to enable full PVP and DM hardcore rules, otherwise my Invoker just rolls over everything with fireball spam. Now I'm forced to rely on single-target or smart AOE spells. I've been trying some invisibility > Mass AOE ambush tactics with limited sucess. Fireballs and the like do handle the ranged stragglers though.

Been also trying to work out a Barbarian Dual-wield Greatswords build, but you just need so many feats to make it even viable. At 7th level, you still aren't there and you can't even pickup power attack or cleave. I'm working on a new build to get there in the long haul (Barb > 1 fighter for Greatsword Focus > then pump into Ranger). This would mean single-wielding for quite a while, then moving into DW after getting Monkey-Grip.

Anyways, Ass-mar Paladin still wrecking face.

Tried out "Sigil: City of Doors" persistent server. Luckily, none of the current residents pester you, merely leaving you to do your own thing. Pretty brutal start as a Mage only has 4HP and you get nothing to start except 500G and I don't beg people for free shit. Thinking about messing around a bit more, but they want to focus on you buying from PCs, so the NPCs don't even sell basic shit. Annoying. Whatever, I also need to finish downloading the files for the Baulder's Gate remake server.