Payday 2

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: Payday 2

Post by Enigma »

From what I understand from PC Gamer, Overkill is getting huge negative feedback from players. Going by memory, the PD2 has gotten over 10K negative feedback from players in Steam and the game's rating is tanking, from 86% to 56%.

I don't have PD2 but I do have the first one that I got for free but haven't played. Is the first game any good?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Enigma wrote:From what I understand from PC Gamer, Overkill is getting huge negative feedback from players. Going by memory, the PD2 has gotten over 10K negative feedback from players in Steam and the game's rating is tanking, from 86% to 56%.

I don't have PD2 but I do have the first one that I got for free but haven't played. Is the first game any good?
Here's the thing Payday 1 has it's charms and it's missions have for the most part better internal stories, but at the end of day Payday 2 is a superior game as it has more varied and interesting missions... minus the fact that Payday 1 still has better combat chatter. In Payday 1 your heisters are always talking in Payday 2 it's Bain who never shuts up.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Mr Bean wrote:Here's the thing Payday 1 has it's charms and it's missions have for the most part better internal stories, but at the end of day Payday 2 is a superior game as it has more varied and interesting missions... minus the fact that Payday 1 still has better combat chatter. In Payday 1 your heisters are always talking in Payday 2 it's Bain who never shuts up.
Yeah, but have you found the tiara yet?

It could be in the front. It doesn't have to be in the back.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Chardok
GET THE FUCK OFF MY OBSTACLE!

Post by Chardok »

Public sector...Man, we're in the wrong line of work!

Look at that view!

Should've stealthed this....tons of gold in this deal....

Looks like your classic arms-gold-coke deal....
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:Yeah, but have you found the tiara yet?

It could be in the front. It doesn't have to be in the back.
Ugh... Guys.... the thermal drill. Shit's going to give me PTSD. What the fuck is with game developers and that shit? Is it funny to them? "You health is low, you should drink a potion!"

To quote a wise man: "I'd give real money if he'd shut up." Hey, more DLC ideas!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Sad fact, Crimefest this year also broke the Lua mod that shut Bain the fuck up

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Mr Bean wrote:Sad fact, Crimefest this year also broke the Lua mod that shut Bain the fuck up

They turned off all of the .dll's that mods used. (which is why Hoxhud among others, are non-functional.) according to...words I saw, it'll turn back on after Crimefest.
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Or locked them down or whateverthefuck programming word they use.
Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

Chardok wrote:
Gaidin wrote:How bout a heist?

We got Aftershock, which is fairly half-assed, but seems to indicate that they kind of knew the Microtransactions were going to cause the community to burn the whole fucking thing down around them. In it, you secure the LITERAL SAFES that you get from cards from trucks that are stuck on an LA freeway after a giant earthquake.
Yea we tried, we ran into major networking issues right after ranning rats with no issues, went back and ran Rats with no issues. I think they have some level design functions to work out. But as for the aesthetics and running, I actually like it.

Microtransactions...whatever. Not like I bought any before they make them droppable.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Oh man, there's no rage like nerd rage. The link shows the metacritic userscore for Payday 2 down to 4.4.

See that mountain? You can climb it!
The Steam page for PAYDAY 2 has been updated based on your feedback. We've made it clear that PAYDAY 2 will have no micro-transactions whatsoever (shame on you if you thought otherwise!) and we've made it more clear that the PAYDAY loot bag is part of the Career Criminal Edition as well.
I normally don't care because I avoid these types of games: but I've always been pissed that at any point, a developer in a game like Payday can completely rework the game to fuck the consumer over any time they want. I'm going to (fruitlessly) attempt to get a refund just on principle since the game I purchased is not the same as I'm forced to play now and I cannot refuse updates.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Well that's nice
They put the speech in for more that just Dallas
In Payday 1 your NPC companions could hop on the counter and give this little speech from HEAT and they added it back in for Payday 2 version plus all the npc companions. The first five deliver roughly the same speech but Bonnie, Clover and Dragen deliver slightly different speeches and Jiro does his entirely in Japanese... but Jacket's is hilarious.

Gaidin
Sith Devotee

Post by Gaidin »

They seemed to have fixed whatever networking programming was messing up Aftershock, and it turns out that is a pretty fun level. I'm having more fun with First World Bank as a sort of alternate Big Bank, granted, but, still.
Chardok

Post by Chardok »

Gaidin wrote:They seemed to have fixed whatever networking programming was messing up Aftershock, and it turns out that is a pretty fun level. I'm having more fun with First World Bank as a sort of alternate Big Bank, granted, but, still.

Me and my crew are going to attempt Overdrill.

*eep*
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

It's an hour of fun and twenty minutes of gold moving.
Also Almir did and AMA, it was in essence the following
"fuck you pay me"

Even better someone was kind enough to translate The AMA from Almir to English
Translation wrote:Let's go!

What Almir said in Almir

We believe it isn't Pay-2-Win, as we balance the game around the base game, not on any DLC you might own or any stat boost you might have.

What it means in English

Because we balance around the base game, any DLCs you might buy or stat boosts you might pay for merely make it easier to win the game. This clearly is not Pay-2-Win.

What Almir said in Almir

We have a partnership with our partner 505 Games [...] this was the right decision to do to ensure the stability of OVERKILL as an independent developer

What it means in English

We are not independent. [...] We are independent.

What Almir said in Almir

going forward, we have to talk to you guys more about major changes like this before we implement them. [...] We have no plans of reversing the system, no.

What it means in English

We're going to try to listen to the community from now on. [...] We have no plans of listening to the community, no.

What Almir said in Almir

Regarding the weapon balance, we felt that we need to change the meta of the game, and make more weapons viable.

What it means in English

We felt the need to make an entire class of weapons completely overpowered

[2] , and nerf another class of weapons completely into the ground

[3] .

What Almir said in Almir

Stats won't be removed from skins.

What it means in English

Fuck you.

What Almir said in Almir

While the general sentiment here in the subreddit has been negative towards microtransactions, the numbers speak a different language. Players seem to be loving it.

What it means in English

We can't hear you over the sound of all the money we are making.

What Almir said in Almir

We think it's a great feature and we hope that you, in time, will agree.

What it means in English

You'll be back anyway. Give it a few weeks.

What Almir said in Almir (regarding the question whether microtransactions might make paid DLC go away)

That sounds like a fantastic scenario, but it's too early to tell right now.

What it means in English

No.

What Almir said in Almir

We thought the addition of the Steam Market in APYDAY 2 (sic!) was a great feature. We didn't expect the negative reactions.

What it means in English

We are incredibly, unbelievably, astonishingly disconnected from our community.

What Almir said in Almir

We thought that it's a great feature, and still do. I hope it hasn't caused irreparable damage; we'll do our best working with the community to regain their trust.

What it means in English

We thought it'd make us lots of money, and it has. I hope you'll keep playing so we can take even more from you.

thanks, /u/Dor_Min [4] !

What Almir said in Almir (regarding the "no microtransactions" promise)

At the time, I meant what I said. I never thought we would've had the pleasure of working on PAYDAY 2 for at least another four years.

What it means in English

I lied. ;)

thanks, /u/DrMax4 [5] !

What Almir said in Almir (regarding pd2stats)

I can honestly say that we dropped the ball on this one. We've treated Tatsuto and his crew badly, and we should have done more to communicate with him and his team properly. In many ways, this is my fault, and I apologize. We've talked a bit with some members at Last Bullet, and I will get in touch with Tatsuto now when we're done with Crimefest. We will improve the way we communicate with the modding community; this is an important topic that we discuss a lot in the studio.

What it means in English

We're sorry we got caught.

thanks, /u/commandoFi [6] !

What Almir said in Almir (regarding veteran players leaving)

I can only hope they return in the future. If they don't, I wish them best luck in the future and hope that they enjoyed their time here.

What it means in English

We already have their money, and it's clear they won't be giving us any more. Let's instead focus our efforts on the free weekend players.

thanks, /u/Midgetbullfighter [7] !

What Almir said in Almir

MeltingTerminal, you might be right, as it seems a lot of people expected the last day to be a grand final. We'll keep this in mind for future events.

What it means in English

These fucks definitely ain't getting our secret day 11 surprise now.

thanks, /u/SL128 [8] !

What Almir said in Almir

Day by day people calmed down and started to discuss the changes - and here we are, discussing this now.

What it means in English

Now don't disappoint me by using my refusal to make any change and PR speak as reason to start getting angry again!

thanks, /u/TAGMOMG [9] !
TL:DR

Payday 2 weapons revolve around breakpoints. The point at which a weapon does enough damage to go from a one shot kill to a two shot kill is a breakpoint, the point at which a two shot kill goes from a two shot kill to a three shot kill.

Lots of the breakpoints line up neatly like this type of enemy and that type of enemy both die in 1 shot to the head from this weapon at this damage and you can oneshot this other type of enemy with the same weapon anywhere. Blues, Tans, Gensecs, Tazers, Shield, Cloakers all the typical enemy types who determine why a gun that does 39.5 damage is not as good as a gun that does 40.0 damage or why a gun that does 62 damage is no better than a gun that does 40 damage but a gun that does 63! damage is a great gun.

Point is these breakpoints would pretty easy to figure out, 33, 40, 63, 130 and 190... the guns have all been tweaked so while hitting the low break points are possible, hitting the higher ones is next to impossible without buying skins because yes putting a skin on your gun makes it do more damage, gives it less recoil and for some reason painting it purple makes it more concealable in stealth heists. All the weapon values have been tweaked to make entire classes of weapons terrible while others are godly and the former king of the gun game gun the CAR4 is now a sad pathetic thing despite the fact it has the most DLC weapon attachments of any gun (It's has attachments from seven different dlc packs) it's now inferior to the Lions Roar from the Dragen or the Assault Pack's Clarion or the free with the base game UAR.