Unreal Tournament

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Unreal Tournament

Post by Ace Pace »

Anybody else playing the alpha?

So far I've been binging on it and it's completly awesome. It's fast paced with some very well laid out maps. The network code is great and I've been playing lag free from Israel on american servers with no issues.

Probably the only downside so far is I think some of the balancing is off, but that's to be expected at this early stage.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Re: Unreal Tournament

Post by TheFeniX »

They got Deck16? Gotta have Deck 16. Everyone loves Deck16.

Seriously though, I do need to try this out at least from a nostalgia perspective, even though I'm generally done with competitive FPS. UT99 stole years of my life and I consider myself a better gamer for it. My ability to be on target in any game with a reticle is owed to UT.

Or, we could just talk shit about Quake players. You know, get back to some old school nerd fighting. I'm always down for that. Counter-Strike players are not invited and will be clubbed.
Darksider
Sith Acolyte

Post by Darksider »

I wish I had a rig that could fucking run this. I was seriously into UT99, UT2k4, and UT3 back in the day.
And this is why you don't watch anything produced by Ronald D. Moore after he had his brain surgically removed and replaced with a bag of elephant semen.-Gramzamber, on why Caprica sucks
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Yea, what's the skinny on the gameplay and modes? Epic started adding in weird shit (in a fairly good way) with 2k3. Vehicles, some you could sucks enemies (or friends) into the rotors and insta-gib them, for just one. Maps did get a bit too big for my taste. Is telefragging still a thing from UT99? Pretty much the ultimate in humiliation, only surpassed by goomba stomping.

Impact hammer. Is it still there? Is it still awesome?
Ace Pace
Hardware Lover

Post by Ace Pace »

TheFeniX wrote:They got Deck16? Gotta have Deck 16. Everyone loves Deck16.

Seriously though, I do need to try this out at least from a nostalgia perspective, even though I'm generally done with competitive FPS. UT99 stole years of my life and I consider myself a better gamer for it. My ability to be on target in any game with a reticle is owed to UT.

Or, we could just talk shit about Quake players. You know, get back to some old school nerd fighting. I'm always down for that. Counter-Strike players are not invited and will be clubbed.
Of course they have Deck16, playing instagib deck16 is now amazing.
Darksider wrote:I wish I had a rig that could fucking run this. I was seriously into UT99, UT2k4, and UT3 back in the day.
This is Epic, if it's humanely possible to make it run on a rig, they will make it. They're also trying to go for the competetive scene so it's all heavily optimized and you can turn down all the effects.
TheFeniX wrote:Yea, what's the skinny on the gameplay and modes? Epic started adding in weird shit (in a fairly good way) with 2k3. Vehicles, some you could sucks enemies (or friends) into the rotors and insta-gib them, for just one. Maps did get a bit too big for my taste. Is telefragging still a thing from UT99? Pretty much the ultimate in humiliation, only surpassed by goomba stomping.

Impact hammer. Is it still there? Is it still awesome?
Well, currently there's DM,TDM,CTF and I imagine they'll add other stuff later on. Telefragging still exists (hard with my ping) and the impact hammer is still neat.

Come on, download this and lets set something up.
Brotherhood of the Bear | HAB | Mess | SDnet archivist |
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I'm trying to find the dedicated server files, but they seem to be gone from the 2014 build. Wondering if they're included as part of the client install now. I'll see when it's all downloaded.

Invasion, gotta have Invasion.
aieeegrunt
Jedi Knight

Post by aieeegrunt »

Man I miss UT
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Jesus Christ, 5 minutes of this game with medium bots is an abject reminder of how weak-sauce I've become (and by extension, the FPS genre in general).

I can't easily track my ammo on the spartan HUD at a glance.
I can't correct for my constant strafing on guns like the flak cannon.
Staying on target for extended periods takes way more work than it used to.
I'm missing over 50% of my shock rifle combos.

Did I just get bad or did I just get old? Or both?

I still won by a landslide; however, there's a reason I enjoyed Halo but realized it was going to turn me into a shitty gamer.

Jedi-Knight mod when?
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Got a wild hair up my ass and decided to reinstall 2k4 and setup an Invasion server. Kyle and I made it pretty far. Well, I made it pretty far. Amazingly, my accuracy is much better in that version. May have something to do with sub 1080p resolutions. Who knows. Fun stuff. Figured I'd leave the server up, but I'm not bothering connecting to the master server.