Has anyone tried Skyforge?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

biostem
Jedi Master

Has anyone tried Skyforge?

Post by biostem »

So, the Neverwinter developers have made some changes, which make it very hard for free players to generate currency to buy things from the premium store, so I'm perusing some other potential games. I've tried out Wildstar, but the mechanics of the game feel "old", and while the game has a of of character, the mish-mash of sci-fi and fantasy just seems too forced for my tastes. I've gotten into the Skyforge Beta, but the limited server hours hasn't allowed me to try it out, yet. I was just wondering if anyone else has given it a try, and what your impression was thus far.

Thanks!
xthetenth
Jedi Master

Re: Has anyone tried Skyforge?

Post by xthetenth »

It's interesting enough. Tanking is a bit weird because heals in combat don't exist, support classes put up a ton of shields instead. Also the devs seem congenitally incapable of making costumes that don't have a feature or twelve that are just mystifying and make the whole thing goofy. Other than that the aesthetic is pretty nice.
biostem
Jedi Master

Re: Has anyone tried Skyforge?

Post by biostem »

So as an update, I've tried Wildstar, Tera, and Skyforge thus far. I didn't like Skyforge - it feels clunky and combat has these weird breaks in the middle, if you happen to flub a combo. Being limited to 3 core classes at first, and the weird need to toggle between friendly or hostile targets as a support class is kind of annoying, (not enough visual queues for my taste). Wildstar is charming, but is a little too cartoony for my tastes. I also don't like the older style of MMO controls that it uses, (click to target, number keys for powers, etc). I'm coming from playing Neverwinter, and thus far Tera seems to have the most similar style of play. It has an eclectic selection of races, the classes can sound a little odd on the surface, but accomplish many of the typical roles, and the world is pretty interesting.