World of Tanks (new thread)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Me2005
Padawan Learner

Re: World of Tanks (new thread)

Post by Me2005 »

For a slightly different WoT fix, I've been playing WoT:Blitz since just after launch. It's the exact same thing as WoT except modified for mobile:
Simpler crew training mechanics
Slight tweaks to the numbers on WoT vehicles
No Artillery
Smaller maps
Smaller teams
Shorter games
Light tanks are basically what you get in low tiers before you've researched mediums. They do not show up in battles at tier 5-6+ because they are useless after that.

My top vehicles are the M103, T34 (which I won in a contest), and M46. Russian and top-tier German heavy vehicles dominate because all engagements are at comparatively close range and there is no artillery. Because of that, I'm working my way up the Russian medium line. Personally, I liked playing artillery when I played full-fledged WoT, and kind of miss it, but it just wouldn't work in these maps.

It's a big app though, 4+ gigs. It barely works on my original ipad mini, and it's better on tablet than phone screens though on an iphone 6 it might be just tolerable.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Also went from WoW back to WoT for a while. While I like WoW, I don't think it has the same staying power (yet). The 3x experience bonus lately helped to get to up some tiers in some tank lines

- I loathed the Japanese medium line but the new Heavy line finally make them worthwhile to play. Had some good matched in the O-I Exp (when I’m not overconfident) and close to getting the O-I which is supposed to be near OP.
- I'm glad I finally traded the godawful Indien Panzer for the Leopard PT A. Even stock it appears to be miles better.
- Also unlocked the top gun on the Centurion 7/1. While the current gun is already amazing I have the feeling that good times are a' comin' :twisted:
Conquerer and AT-15 are also getting on the horizon but credits will be the main bottleneck).
- After getting the Rm Borsig I’m not interest in climbing further in the German TD line. Now working on getting an ISU-152 deathwagon although I’m very much enjoying my SU-100 so far.
- Finally, spending a little time in getting a new arty line for some pesky arty missions (the SU-14-2 schoolbus just doesn’t seem to cut it). A bit on the fence on choosing US or German.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

I thought this was so hilarious I just had to share it:

That's not a parody, that is literally the official video Wargamming.net put out. :lol:
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

That got a solid chuckle out of me and I haven't played tanks in ages.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I'm fairly sure Armored Warfare is trolling with their free tank for christmas as well.

It's a Type 59.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Vendetta wrote:I'm fairly sure Armored Warfare is trolling with their free tank for christmas as well.

It's a Type 59.
Yeah, Armored Warfare takes the chance to stick it to WoT where it can. I don't blame them either, Obsidian has made the better tank game and WG is madly trying to play catch up now that they have an actual competitor.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Armored Warfare is a good tank game and I can clearly see why many people enjoy it. I still prefer playing WoT over AW though.

Thoughts on the new Skoda tank tree? I didn't bothered with tier II to IV but I find the Skoda T 24 (tier V) quite enjoyable so far (I got a soft spot for mobile glass cannons)
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

wautd wrote:Armored Warfare is a good tank game and I can clearly see why many people enjoy it. I still prefer playing WoT over AW though.
I can see why you'd stick with WoT over Armored Warfare. It's probably due to a combination of greater skill at WoT owing to time invested, and the fact that in spite of itself WoT manages to be more fun than the technically superior WTGF and AW. I consider both WTGF and AW to be better games that WoT, but if I was to play a tank game it would still probably be WoT.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Jub wrote:
wautd wrote:Armored Warfare is a good tank game and I can clearly see why many people enjoy it. I still prefer playing WoT over AW though.
I can see why you'd stick with WoT over Armored Warfare. It's probably due to a combination of greater skill at WoT owing to time invested, and the fact that in spite of itself WoT manages to be more fun than the technically superior WTGF and AW. I consider both WTGF and AW to be better games that WoT, but if I was to play a tank game it would still probably be WoT.
I've enjoyed playing WoT more (so far) than AW for the same reason I've been playing WoWS almost exclusively at the expense of WoT lately; I can dive into a game of Warships and just enjoy it, rather than worrying about twitch reflexes (been playing the WZ-132 and AMX CDC a lot). Likewise, in WoT I don't have to climb the learning curve of ERA, shaped charge vs AP, etc.

Heck, in the AMX CDC I don't even have to worry about armour angling because there isn't any armour to angle!
wautd wrote:Thoughts on the new Skoda tank tree? I didn't bothered with tier II to IV but I find the Skoda T 24 (tier V) quite enjoyable so far (I got a soft spot for mobile glass cannons)
It's worth playing the whole tree, at least until January 24th. They're ladling on everything from XP boosts to free equipment to female Czech crew just for not playing like a potato.

I was pretty meh on the tanks originally but seeing Quickybaby's feature on the TVP 50/51 makes me reconsider.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Venator wrote: I was pretty meh on the tanks originally but seeing Quickybaby's feature on the TVP 50/51 makes me reconsider.
True, but he can make any tank look good. He just makes it looks so easy.

One of his vids convinced me to recently buy the AMX CDC as well and I don't regret it though (although I prefer the AMX 50 t for money forming)
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

wautd wrote:
Venator wrote: I was pretty meh on the tanks originally but seeing Quickybaby's feature on the TVP 50/51 makes me reconsider.
True, but he can make any tank look good. He just makes it looks so easy.

One of his vids convinced me to recently buy the AMX CDC as well and I don't regret it though (although I prefer the AMX 50 t for money forming)
Same boat for the CDC. I don't play that for raw income (step up E 25, FV201 (A45)), but to make me a better tanker.

To explain further - he posted a 10k damage game submitted by another unicorn player. The reason it drew me to the Czech line is because I absolutely hate playing autoloaders but the different balance of burst potential vs vulnerability compared to the French (and honourary Frenchman M41) made playing the TVP appealing.
Darth Yoshi
Metroid

Post by Darth Yoshi »

Venator wrote:It's worth playing the whole tree, at least until January 24th. They're ladling on everything from XP boosts to free equipment to female Czech crew just for not playing like a potato.
Honestly, the female crew rewards would appeal to me more if I had the free XP to burn on skipping all the low and mid tiers to actually get to the tanks where I can try for the crew, because I have neither the time nor the inclination to grind my way through the entire tree for them. Now, if PVE mode weren't limited to tiers 1-2 and I could grind XP with it, it'd be a different story, but this past year has pretty much burned me out on grinding solo pub matches. And since I don't do platoons, tourneys, or clan wars...
Fragment of the Lord of Nightmares, release thy heavenly retribution. Blade of cold, black nothingness: become my power, become my body. Together, let us walk the path of destruction and smash even the souls of the Gods! RAGNA BLADE!
Lore Monkey | the Pichu-master™
Secularism—since AD 80
Av: Elika; Prince of Persia
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Darth Yoshi wrote:but this past year has pretty much burned me out on grinding solo pub matches. And since I don't do platoons, tourneys, or clan wars...
Ah, a fellow player who gets sick of lone-wolf gameplay but refuses to try the alternatives! :wink:
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

The two new Rampage modes are OK. Well, at least the one where one random team fights another random team. The deadmatch where its everyone for themselves but platoons can enter as well is quite unbalanced and extremely chaotic
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Venator wrote:
Darth Yoshi wrote:but this past year has pretty much burned me out on grinding solo pub matches. And since I don't do platoons, tourneys, or clan wars...
Ah, a fellow player who gets sick of lone-wolf gameplay but refuses to try the alternatives! :wink:
The only time I play platoon, are with some old friends of mine. I never play platoon otherwise. Armored Warfare seems really nice, but I don't feel like doing all that grinding again. I now have some really good tanks with really good crews.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

I gave Armoured Warfare a spin yesterday. Actually did pretty good; the truncated crew skill curve is great (at least at low tiers).

As someone who plays on a toaster, my biggest complaint is that it looks way better than WoT on minimum specs, but runs worse.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Yeah, AW runs on Cryengine IIRC which is not the most optimised for low end hardware. On medium I get 30FPS if I'm lucky (albeit on a 3 year old laptop).

They really have fixed a lot of the persistent issues that WoT has had for ages, and even made arty a reasonable addition to the game, which I'm fairly sure counts as witchcraft.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

AW tends to run pretty well on anything mid to high end which seems to be where the engine hits its sweet spot. My computer is a bit lacking in the video card end of things and sporting a Radeon HD 7970 (a solid midrange card that's about 3 years out of date) and I can still hit 60 fps with most settings up. Granted, my resolution is set lower than I'd like due to my crappy TV-cum-monitor setup, but it still goes to show that the engine isn't that much of a hog.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Ghetto Edit:

It seems 'solid' in my case is 60 at 1366 x 768 High, or 30-40 at the same resolution and Very High.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I'm glad the Cromwell Berlin was offered on the advent calender yesterday. I was really waiting for this little tank after I've saw Quickybaby's review of it. I've had a few matches where I was top tier and I felt like cheating. It's a Beast.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

wautd wrote:I'm glad the Cromwell Berlin was offered on the advent calender yesterday. I was really waiting for this little tank after I've saw Quickybaby's review of it. I've had a few matches where I was top tier and I felt like cheating. It's a Beast.
I snapped it up immediately when it came out the first time (about a week after burning gold on permanent camo for my regular Cromwell, go figure). At first I ran Camo and Binocs, but with Coated Optics and Vents it's in a completely different league.

I did pinch Rudy from the winter sale because dog.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Is the Rudy any good? Because thats the only tank from the Berlin line that looks underwhelming to me.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

edit: damn, I didn't know you got a dog with the Rudy. That's pretty neat
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

wautd wrote:Is the Rudy any good? Because thats the only tank from the Berlin line that looks underwhelming to me.
wautd wrote:edit: damn, I didn't know you got a dog with the Rudy. That's pretty neat
The hull is essentially useless but you can use the turret to bounce if you're smart about it. It's not a great tank any more than the T-34-85 is (though with the extra HP, faster traverse, much better signal range and improved gun handling, I think it's much better than the T-34-85 just like the B outmatches the regular Cromwell). The other Berlin offerings are more competitive, but it's probably the most characterful of the bunch visually. And it comes with a dog.

Who gives you 5m better spotting distance :V.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I thought the T-34/85 was a solid workmanlike tier 6 medium which I was happy to play in almost any match.

So yeah, Rudy should be OK.