World of Tanks (new thread)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Jub
Sith Marauder

Re: World of Tanks (new thread)

Post by Jub »

Vendetta wrote:I thought the T-34/85 was a solid workmanlike tier 6 medium which I was happy to play in almost any match.

So yeah, Rudy should be OK.
I was always a Sherman Jumbo man myself, tier 7's and 8's can easily bounce off that armor if you play even half-way decent and your selection of guns gives a few options for playstyle even with the stock turret.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I went for the Easy 8 over the Jumbo.

Armour is nice as long as nobody just loads skill. The mobility and comfort of the Easy 8 can't be taken away by someone pressing the HEAT button and the mantlet is still decent.

(the Cromwell was my favourite tier 6 med, and one of my overall favourite tanks, but the E8 was the second best).

I've actually had a few games recently, but I have a lot of rust to knock off before I get back to being any good.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

It took me several years but I finally got the pwnmobile SU-152. Sweet baby Jesus, even in stock it's been amazing so far. Is it worth getting the ISU-152 as well? Which one is better tier for tier?
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The SU-152 is the one everyone thinks is terrible and a penance you have to suffer through to get to the ISU-152.

The ISU-152 has the mighty trollcannon, 289mm pen and 750 damage at tier 8.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Is she the "PUSH THE BUTTON" sky cancer Quickybaby is satirizing?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote:Is she the "PUSH THE BUTTON" sky cancer Quickybaby is satirizing?
They're TDs, with hilarious alpha and predictably appalling gun handling. I've actually been pretty 'meh' on the Soviet TD lines, other than the SU-101, and then only because it looks like it's a tank destroyer for World(s) War Mars.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

The Trollcannon is named because half of the time it flies straight and true and slaps half of someone's health off, and the other half of the time the shell comes out of the gun sideways and the shell bounces off the back end of an ELC.

But when it does work, its' glorious.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Stalin works in mysterious ways. I've truly been blessed so far with the SU-152.

The IS-6 has another one of those guns. The more you aim, the less accurate it seems to get, but if you take a halfassed snapshot at some guy in the distance while going downhill at max speed you roll max damage.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

wautd wrote:Stalin works in mysterious ways. I've truly been blessed so far with the SU-152.

The IS-6 has another one of those guns. The more you aim, the less accurate it seems to get, but if you take a halfassed snapshot at some guy in the distance while going downhill at max speed you roll max damage.
I've gotten a penetrating HE hit with the derpgun on the hateful T-28, moving flat out with a 75% crew, on a M5 Stewart (also moving flat out) half the map away.

From what I remember the hidden dispersion stats actually favour firing on the move for the Russians, at least mediums and heavies.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Which (min. tier V) SPG's are recommended for counter artillery? I need to have something relatively fast firing and accurate to complete a mission.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

wautd wrote:Which (min. tier V) SPG's are recommended for counter artillery? I need to have something relatively fast firing and accurate to complete a mission.
The 105 leFH18B2 is a little monster.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

wautd wrote:Which (min. tier V) SPG's are recommended for counter artillery? I need to have something relatively fast firing and accurate to complete a mission.
I did all the SPG missions in the FV304. Only problem for counter-battery is the tiny range.
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

Finally researched and bought my second Tier 8, IS-3.
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

The FV304 is quite cannibalistic for an artillery, if all else fails go td/scout mode with it and derp the enemy arty that way
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Yeah I bought mine yesterday after pretty much skipping the Bison. Nifty little tank with a unique playstyle so I'll probably keep it indefinetly
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

wautd wrote:Yeah I bought mine yesterday after pretty much skipping the Bison. Nifty little tank with a unique playstyle so I'll probably keep it indefinetly
If you're doing that, throw on Vents, GLD and a rammer right away. The rate and accuracy of fire goes from punishing to monstrous. BIA as a second skill adds a little bit too.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

So, the game released on PS4, which means two things, irritating background noise from people who shouldn't be allowed microphones, and having to grind the M3 Lee again.

Still, it ain't all bad, there's plenty of seals to club:

Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Finally played a bit of Tanks again after burning out on Warships. First game, ~2500 damage and four kills in the A45. I surprised myself with how much WoWS did for my patience and positioning - if not fire discipline. "AMX CDC, shoot at <piece of nearby scenery>, you might hit the tank" was said repeatedly in the chat. Still ran 1900+ damage that game, despite missing a SuperPershing with vaguely depressing frequency.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Vendetta wrote:So, the game released on PS4, which means two things, irritating background noise from people who shouldn't be allowed microphones, and having to grind the M3 Lee again.

Damn, that first kill. Absolutely brutal.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Vendetta wrote:So, the game released on PS4, which means two things, irritating background noise from people who shouldn't be allowed microphones, and having to grind the M3 Lee again.

Imperial528 wrote:

Damn, that first kill. Absolutely brutal.
Wasn't able to watch the video last time I posted - absolutely brutal clubbing there, nicely done. I preferred facing down the Pz. II J with absolute impunity to the Locust kill.

The only thing I didn't like was around the 3:00 mark where you turn and give your backside to at least one known enemy tank, but there are only so many options in that area (and with a non-turreted vehicle). I might have tried going around (towards the lake), but you would be exposed to the folks on the middle road that way.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

When I turned my back on the IIJ I'm pretty sure I'd clocked him and knew that his no pen machinegun was no threat even to my rear armour.

Anyway, some more:

PS4 exclusive map Skorpion Pass, this is the largest map in World of Tanks at the moment, 1500x1500, plenty of routes and a nice big ridge along the middle.

Prettied up version of Live Oaks, also the console only Team Destruction game mode.
Highlord Laan
Jedi Master
Location: Christo-fundie Theofascist Dominion of Nebraskistan

Post by Highlord Laan »

Wow. The sounds in the console versions are much, much better than the PC. I like the more streamlined interface, too.
Never underestimate the ingenuity and cruelty of the Irish.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Yeah, I like that they used the ribbon system from WoWS to display performance information during battle in a very compact manner for a console.

I do hope any PC-applicable usability and immersion improvements get migrated to the original game, though.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Vendetta wrote:When I turned my back on the IIJ I'm pretty sure I'd clocked him and knew that his no pen machinegun was no threat even to my rear armour.
Oh right - I forgot just how awful the II Js gun was.

Nevermind me then!
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

I'm just sick of the tweakers being able to snap shot me while on the move and traversing both hull and turret while I can't get the rounds to fly straight fully aimed in.