World of Tanks (new thread)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Venator
Jedi Knight

Re: World of Tanks (new thread)

Post by Venator »

Venator wrote:
Lonestar wrote:Out of curiosity, why are you running with the Chinese version? Is the Chinese line easier to grind or something?
Mostly I just found the 110, WZ-111 1-4 and 113 more interesting than being Yet Another IS-# Player.
Better explanation; the Chinese heavies are seriously mobile for their size and armament. You sacrifice some spaced armour and overall protection for avoiding the glaring weak spots of the IS-3 and IS-6 on the 110 (just remember the lower plate is one of the worst ever), and you get something the Soviets don't at all in the form of 100mm guns that are actually good.

A lot of less experienced or aware players will push on you expecting you to have miserable rate of fire, only to get taken apart because you can put out over 6 rounds a minute without BIA and food factored in.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

My new handle (after the servers reboot) on the WG games is GruntyGinMan. Hit me up if anyone is interested.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I played up what (was) the heavy-heavy line of Soviets myself. The IS-4 line, in other words.

Stock KV-4 was suffering, but the ST-I is made of troll if you abuse the shockingly good (for a Soviet heavy) gun depression with the Stalinium turret.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

The KV-4 starts as the "KV-4-fucks-sake" and ends up as the "KV-4-tress", if my experience against them is any judge. I loathe facing ST-1s at the best of times.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

on right now if anyone wants to platoon up
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Sorry I missed you last night Venator.

Got the Hetzer yesterday. Holy dog balls but the first few engines are weak for it. It feels like driving a Tier 1 tank.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Lonestar wrote:Sorry I missed you last night Venator.

Got the Hetzer yesterday. Holy dog balls but the first few engines are weak for it. It feels like driving a Tier 1 tank.
No worries. I didn't end up playing long.

I made the mistake of unlocking the Hetzer before realizing how phenomenally bad any tank with a derpgun is with a sub-prime crew, so after a few games of a fully upgraded tank with a 50% crew unfit to pilot an merry-go-round, I sold it again... I should try picking it back up.

Right now I'm working on getting my Swedish TD crew up to their first skill before retraining for the tier 6 - that "DERP. Sorry 'bout 95% of your hit points" behaviour is certainly addictive.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

What do you mean by derpgun?
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Derp guns are the short howitzers like the 105mm gun on the Hetzer or Sherman. They tend to have very high alpha damage with limited accuracy and slow reloads.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I used to hate the Hetzer but with a trained crew and the right equipment is a nasty little bugger. It's for a reason it's one of the more popular seal clubbers.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Lonestar wrote:What do you mean by derpgun?
Jub wrote:Derp guns are the short howitzers like the 105mm gun on the Hetzer or Sherman. They tend to have very high alpha damage with limited accuracy and slow reloads.
Generally,
- Fire HE as standard (or the HE round is way better than any AP choices).
- Large calibre, short barrel.
- Slow shell velocity.
- High arc.
- Slow reload.
- Horrible accuracy.

The KV-2's 152mm is the King of Derp, other notables are the Hetzer, Sherman, low-tier Swedish TDs, T49, Sheridan and recently added to the Type 5 Heavy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8XIlOIaBG4
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

So, I'm sure some of you have heard about the fracas with WoT CC SirFoch. He badmouthed the hell out of WG for the latest Chrysler F premium heavy tank. One of the things he noticed was that there was essentially no weak spots on the front.

He's right. I was in my Thunderbolt and one of those was on my team. He put himself at the corner of a street and there was probably three other enemy heavy tanks and a few smaller ones shooting at him from the front, with a lot of blocks/ricochets. I parked behind him and lobbed a few at the other team. Enemy fire immediately switched to me between the gap and killed me good.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

For those of you not tied into the community so much (I heard about the debacle through Jingles):

SirFoch's original video (re-upped by another channel): https://youtu.be/Z9juoiLgzFU

Jingles' TL;DR explanation (as much as he's capable of TL;DRing, it's over 13 minutes long...): https://youtu.be/NIjuYybgRkc
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Venator wrote:For those of you not tied into the community so much (I heard about the debacle through Jingles):

Yes, that was the Chrysler F I was referencing in the post above yours :P
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Lonestar wrote:
Venator wrote:For those of you not tied into the community so much (I heard about the debacle through Jingles):
Yes, that was the Chrysler F I was referencing in the post above yours :P
I should have quoted you, I was trying to add to your post :P.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

ah, okay. As I was.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

WELP WARGAMING DONE FUCKED UP NOW.

“But threatening to take copyright action over an issue that isn’t even remotely related to copyright just to shut them up is so not acceptable that I’m actually at a loss to express just how fucking outraged I am.

IF that’s what happened. If that is what actually happened, and we don’t see some kind of apology for a gross misuse of the copyright system, then I am out of the Community Contributor program. I have no problem with Wargaming protecting themselves from slander using appropriate systems, I believe they’re entirely justified in both cases to ask that the offending videos be removed, and also for removing Foch from the community contributor program. But I cannot and will not be part of any community that uses false copyright claims to silence their critics.”

-- Jingles, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xma_DtVjF-Y

And, a couple days late, but frigging Jim Sterling is in on the carnage: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmvwiTs7Dvg
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Ghetto edit - statements from Florian Mentl, also covered in MWJ above, have Jingles among others standing down.

Be interesting to see what the Jimquisition promised for today will cover.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

This fucking day...

WG NA issued a completely blind, thoughtless, threatening statement on Kotaku. Jingles has stepped down as a community contributor: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R1AcN5andxA

PointyHairedJedi has also stepped down.

And unicum snowflake robot-man QuickyBaby goes on a rant about shitty WG decisions and power creep and gets tears in his eyes over it.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ugkhC-KCUKA
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

O-Is seem to be very popular, and what the hell, I started to go through the IJA heavy line this weekend. The first IJA heavy seems to basically be a medium tank that happens to be physically awkward and oversized. Not sure why I decided I wanted to grind towards the O-I.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Lonestar wrote:O-Is seem to be very popular, and what the hell, I started to go through the IJA heavy line this weekend. The first IJA heavy seems to basically be a medium tank that happens to be physically awkward and oversized. Not sure why I decided I wanted to grind towards the O-I.
Pretty much everything below tier 5, with a few notable exceptions (Hezter, Covenantor, Luchs, etc.) are unremittingly awful. I free-XP up to tier 5 whenever possible, or at least to tier 4 since that's when the XP requirements start to get serious.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

The AMX-40 is unbelievably awful, it and the Lee seem to jostle for position of "worst Tier IV tank"
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

I never got why the amx 40 is so hated. It was the first tank that actually had some concept of armor. Like, it won't be penetrated by autocannons or derpguns which is all anyone (especially sealclubbers) play at low tiers. Just never let up on the W key until you are in the enemy cap circle.

It's a tier 4 kv-1.

Edit: Although then again, I just like heavy tanks and let's face it, it and the matilda are the first heavy tanks you get in the game. :P
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

The AMX-40 is actually rated as a light tank, I believe.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Dominus Atheos wrote:I never got why the amx 40 is so hated. It was the first tank that actually had some concept of armor. Like, it won't be penetrated by autocannons or derpguns which is all anyone (especially sealclubbers) play at low tiers. Just never let up on the W key until you are in the enemy cap circle.

It's a tier 4 kv-1.

Edit: Although then again, I just like heavy tanks and let's face it, it and the matilda are the first heavy tanks you get in the game. :P
Part of it is due to the fact that the AMX-40 has a bad gun and that it used to get scout match making.