World of Tanks (new thread)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Venator
Jedi Knight

Re: World of Tanks (new thread)

Post by Venator »

wautd wrote:
Rogue 9 wrote:Decided to take my much-maligned meta tester tank out for a spin today, and lo, I am become death, destroyer of armor. :razz:
I never understood the hate for that tank. Sure, it's not great but we've had far, far worse free tanks garage slots since then.
Beta awards are bound to be better than the throwaway participation-award tanks you get for happening to log on during the holidays. The Arkansas Beta is an absolute BEAST in WoWS, complete lack of AA notwithstanding.
I'm doing the daily missions for the new tier 8 premium tank (named T25 something?) which does looks pretty nice. And in contrast with the T-34-100* marathon, the missions actually seem doable (so far).

(*although I'm glad I chipped in to get that tank anyway. It's an awesome medium tank).
Leaving for Japan on the 28th. Of course they bring out a doable marathon when I have no realistic way of doing it D:.
FSTargetDrone
Emperor's Hand

Post by FSTargetDrone »

wautd wrote:I'm doing the daily missions for the new tier 8 premium tank (named T25 something?) which does looks pretty nice. And in contrast with the T-34-100* marathon, the missions actually seem doable (so far).
Well, I got the first 6 or 7 days of the T25 Pilot 1 missions done without issue, but then but a bad streak and of course the missions become more involved and I just couldn't get it done having missed too many days/had too many frustrating hours of missions.

I also picked up the premium Strv S1 and even though I watched some test server reviews of this vehicle beforehand and (thought) I knew what I was getting into, I'm having a hell of a time with it. Some map it's practically useless (dense cities--much like arty) and you really need to be in the right team to fight it to good effect.

I've had 1 or 2 wins where I actually get a kill and survive, but then there are extremely frustrating results like this:

wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

FSTargetDrone wrote:
wautd wrote:I'm doing the daily missions for the new tier 8 premium tank (named T25 something?) which does looks pretty nice. And in contrast with the T-34-100* marathon, the missions actually seem doable (so far).
Well, I got the first 6 or 7 days of the T25 Pilot 1 missions done without issue, but then but a bad streak and of course the missions become more involved and I just couldn't get it done having missed too many days/had too many frustrating hours of missions.
I got 8 of 13. I bought the final 5 tokens because the price still seemed fair for a decent premium tier 8 medium.
Sadly, the garage interface is fubar since the last update so I havn't played since.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Actual patch bug or a nasty interaction with a modpack? I've never had UI instability after doing a mod folder clean.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

Weird! After the new update, the game refuses to load. I get to the intro screen, then click the "play" button. The intro screen vanishes and then nothing. No WoT, no process regarding WoT running no nothing at all. Nada!

Anybody else had the same problem?
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
- Raw Shark on my slug hunting
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

The Infidel wrote:Weird! After the new update, the game refuses to load. I get to the intro screen, then click the "play" button. The intro screen vanishes and then nothing. No WoT, no process regarding WoT running no nothing at all. Nada!

No problem here. Do you have XVM installed? If so, I'd reinstall it as it could cause some glitches after a new patch.
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

wautd wrote:
The Infidel wrote:Weird! After the new update, the game refuses to load. I get to the intro screen, then click the "play" button. The intro screen vanishes and then nothing. No WoT, no process regarding WoT running no nothing at all. Nada!

No problem here. Do you have XVM installed? If so, I'd reinstall it as it could cause some glitches after a new patch.
Nope. I have no mods at all now. Maybe I'll try to reinstall the game. I play mostly Elite Dangerous these days, but like WoT when I only want a 5 minute break.
Where am I at in the post apocalypse draft? When do I start getting picks? Because I want this guy. This guy right here. I will regret not being able to claim the quote, "The first I noticed while burning weed, so I burned it, aiming at its head first. It wriggled for about 10 seconds. Too long... I then fetched an old machete [+LITERALLY ANYTHING]"
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

i have that happen every once in awhile even without any mods. usually a PC restart solves it, if not deleting the WoT preferences file does.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
Argosh
Jedi Knight

Post by Argosh »

NA people, how does 9.18 feel?
--
Don't make me use uppercase...
Marko Dash
Jedi Knight

Post by Marko Dash »

on the whole, i like it.

mostly because the arty changes put arty more in line with what i've wanted, a big splash support weapon instead of a random 'boom there goes 3/4 your health' role of the dice.

the mm changes also seems to be a good thing more bottom and mid tier emphasis means there's more tanks you can actually fight, while letting the lucky few bastards at the top of the list still feel like they won the lottery.
If a black-hawk flies over a light show and is not harmed, does that make it immune to lasers?
The Infidel
Jedi Master

Post by The Infidel »

The Infidel wrote:
wautd wrote:

Nope. I have no mods at all now. Maybe I'll try to reinstall the game. I play mostly Elite Dangerous these days, but like WoT when I only want a 5 minute break.
Uninstalling and reinstalling the game worked fine.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Fired it up for the first time in forever because of the premium deal since it carries over to WoWs

https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/announ ... cial-gift/

man I suck lol with my Tier 3/2 tanks lol
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I really dig the matchmaker improvements and artillery changes.

Oh and seeing a few free high tier light tanks in the garage was nice too :D
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

wautd wrote:I really dig the matchmaker improvements and artillery changes.

Oh and seeing a few free high tier light tanks in the garage was nice too :D
Anyone been playing the high-tier LTs? I've yet to log back in, hoping that the WZ-132 (my only LT right now) is still playable. Patch notes weren't super encouraging, but the MM change will balance that out I assume.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

How is free xp generated in WoT? Is it even generated? Or do I have to convert it?
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Lonestar wrote:How is free xp generated in WoT? Is it even generated? Or do I have to convert it?
All matches generate as a baseline an amount of free exp equal to 5% of your earned exp for that match. The free exp is only based on the earned exp and does not affect how much vehicle exp you get out of the match.

Converting earns you much more free exp but there is always the 5% that you get entirely for free.
Zwinmar
Jedi Master

Post by Zwinmar »

Saw the news about the great nerf of tier VI to the new IX and X lights, ...haven't been on since mid March because of it.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Zwinmar wrote:Saw the news about the great nerf of tier VI to the new IX and X lights, ...haven't been on since mid March because of it.
In what ways were they nerfed? Considering their matchmaking has been improved, some nerf may be justified to not make them too overpowered.

I've only played a few matches with my high lights, but my T54 Lightweight and AMX 13 90 still seem competitive. I suck horrible with the Ru 251 as a tier 9, but I also sucked with it in when it was a tier 8 so no change there. I was a boss in the SP 1 C though, so I'm curious how a fully specced HWK 12 will perform.
I just can't win with the WZ-132 anymore. Perhaps I've forgotten how to play with it or it has indeed been nerfed hard. The tier 9 and 10 seemed nice though (unless also nerfed since their official release?).

The Soviet LTG (tier 7) seemed hella fun at first sight.

On another note, I'm finally out of the tier 7 Swedish tank destroyer. It was an OK TD but nothing special and the gun accuracy could be frustrating. The Tier 8 seems like a whole new beast with its siege mode. I'll need to learn playing with it because it's supposed to be a potent machine but so far I've been pretty bad at it.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I picked up the Thunderbolt VII and the Berlin Quartet. They are basically the only tanks I have over Tier III other than my Lee, which is the Worst Tank.

Thunderbolt is a fun little tank.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The Lee, while much maligned, is a solid tank at tier four. This is mainly due to its amazing gun, add to that Sherman-like armor and mobility and you have a good tank. You need to play it at medium to long ranges acting as a support medium that tries to emulate a TD. Also, if you really hate it that much, an hour or two of play can let you see how other nations do at the same tier.

Pros:
-Great gun (Tied for top DPM with the Grant, top alpha damage, very close to the highest penetration, average accuracy and aim time)
-Solid Armor (50mm frontal armor and 30-40mm side armor are standard for the tier)
-Solid Mobility (It's not fast, it's not slow, it's pretty much dead in the middle when it comes to getting around)

Cons:
-Limited Gun Traverse (Goes without saying)
-Limited View Range (320m is pretty much worst in class)
-Large Size (You're a tall tank that can't go hull down, you also have very poor camo rating)

Really, I'd put the Lee upper middle of the pack. Under the Matilda, T-28, and Pz. III J, even with the Grant, and over the rest of the field.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Lonestar wrote:I picked up the Thunderbolt VII and the Berlin Quartet. They are basically the only tanks I have over Tier III other than my Lee, which is the Worst Tank.

Rudy is a fun, reliable all-rounder to learn mid-tier gameplay on. The Cromwell Berlin is more demanding - worse armour, much,
much more mobile - but so rewarding to get right.

Don't even think of driving the IS-2 out of the garage with a full equipment load and a healthy dose of HEAT. Even then, expect the 122mm gun to troll you at the worst possible time... if the Chinese version is anything to go by, anyway.

I have the Rudy and the Crom B, I'll be tempted to buy the rest - let me know if you want to platoon sometime.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Out of curiosity, why are you running with the Chinese version? Is the Chinese line easier to grind or something?
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Also, I'd love to platoon with you. I'm currently trying to decide whether what my new handle should be. My current one has my last name in it so I want to change it.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Venator wrote:
Lonestar wrote:I picked up the Thunderbolt VII and the Berlin Quartet. They are basically the only tanks I have over Tier III other than my Lee, which is the Worst Tank.

Rudy is a fun, reliable all-rounder to learn mid-tier gameplay on. The Cromwell Berlin is more demanding - worse armour, much,
much more mobile - but so rewarding to get right.

Don't even think of driving the IS-2 out of the garage with a full equipment load and a healthy dose of HEAT. Even then, expect the 122mm gun to troll you at the worst possible time... if the Chinese version is anything to go by, anyway.

I have the Rudy and the Crom B, I'll be tempted to buy the rest - let me know if you want to platoon sometime.
Looking at my horrible stats with the Chinese IS-2 I'd say the IS-2B is the better of the two (better armour, and I guess better gun depression?).

I don't plan on getting the Thunderbolt but for me the original Berlin line was worth the buy because is none of the tanks are truly bad (the Cromwell B and Rudy are downright fantastic) and they free BiA that comes with the crew is not to be underestimated.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Lonestar wrote:Out of curiosity, why are you running with the Chinese version? Is the Chinese line easier to grind or something?
Mostly I just found the 110, WZ-111 1-4 and 113 more interesting than being Yet Another IS-# Player.