Fallout:NV auto config then nothing.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Fallout:NV auto config then nothing.

Post by Enigma »

I've upgraded my video card a few days ago and decided today to play F:NV. The game detected the new video card and set the settings to Ultra High. After that, nothing. I click on play and the auto config pops up again. The game doesn't load.

How do I fix this without resorting to a reinstall?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Re: Fallout:NV auto config then nothing.

Post by Purple »

I am not familiar with the game in question in particular but as some general advice try looking into the games installation folders. Usually with games that have auto config utilities the config utility is a separate exe from the actual game. So if you find the actual game exe you can go around the config utility.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Tried it and no dice. The auto config still pops up.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Delete Fallout.ini and FalloutPrefs.ini from %USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\FalloutNV\, then try launching the game again.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Executor32 wrote:Delete Fallout.ini and FalloutPrefs.ini from %USERPROFILE%\Documents\My Games\FalloutNV\, then try launching the game again.
Did that and got the same result.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I believe this is a Steam issue as I tried to play Civ:BE and it keeps prompting me if I want to play it or play C:BE with AMD Mantle. This sucks.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Sins just jacked up on me. Would try to load over and over. Tested Skyrim to make sure it wasn't Steam. Skyrim threw an error and wouldn't start. Closing and restarting Steam fixed it. If it doesn't for you try: steam://flushconfig in a command window.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_art ... -TIAL-4638
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

No change.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

You've got a couple options then. Used to be (did this when I upgraded from W7 to W8) you deleted (I copied them to another folder) everything out of your Steam folder except your Steamapps folder and Steam.exe. Exit Steam first. Then run Steam.exe. It should automatically redownload the missing files and reregister your games.

Other option is to backup your Steamapps folder and anything under "common" and including the appmanifest.acfs for each game (basically, your Steamapps folder, then uninstall steam. Redownload, install, and run. Exit Steam, recopy Steamapps folder, open Steam.

NOTE: I don't know if uninstalling Steam messes with your savegames for those that store them in your documents folder. I'd back them up just in case.

EDIT: Also, some guy claimed exiting the GeForce Experience could solve this issue. Just close it in the taskbar. Provided you have a Radeon, close out the Catalyst Control Center. No idea if this will work, never needed to go that far.

You might also try a total uninstall, reboot, reinstall of your video card driver.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Thanks. Exiting Geforce Experience and verifying game cache enabled me to play Civ:BE. But F:NV goes to auto config then nothing.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Verifying game cache for F:NV resulted in one filed failed to be validated and it was supposed to be replaced. Yet every time I verify the game the same file is invalid and is replaced. It doesn't tell me the file name other than it has 432 bytes.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Weird. Only thing I can recommend, besides a full reinstall of the game is to delete Fallout.ini and FalloutPrefs.ini out of the Documents\My Games\FalloutNV folder and see what happens. You might also check to make sure they didn't somehow get set to read-only.

If you have to redownload, you can save yourself a lot of time by backing up the BSA files out of the data folder. These are basically ZIP files that contain 99% of the NV data. I usually just:

1. Close Steam
2. Rename the game folder to 1NV
3. Open Steam.
4. Set New Vegas to Install
5. Once preload is done, close steam.
6. Copy BSA's over to new folder.
7. Reopen Steam.

The chance a BSA is corrupted is slim to none, unless you have actual HDD issues. So, this should save you a considerable amount of time redownloading.

You can also just try closing Steam, deleting everything but the BSAs out of the New Vegas folder, open Steam, then verify. This is faster, but I haven't tried it in ages.

GeForce just pushed out another update, did you install it? If not, maybe try to. If you did, try rolling back. EDIT: The Experience has gone to shit lately. Nvidia has pushed out some bad updates. Right now, it's telling me I have no supported games installed to optimize. Which is total bullshit.

Nvidia needs to get off their fucking asses and make sure their releases work.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Finally got Fallout NV to work. Flushed Steam several times. Reinstalled F:NV three times. removed the .ini files. Somehow after all of that, it ran. Don't know how exactly I got it to run but the last thing I did was create a shortcut and played it as administrator.

As for The Experience, it also said that I don't have any supported games to optimize.

Blah. Downloading MGS:PP right now and hope to play it in the morning.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

I think this is a bad combination of Steam AND Nvidia having issues. Like I said, Nvidia has pushed out some questionable updates. Steam went down a few days ago and has been chonky ever since. Payday 2's DRM system has been screwing me as when you lose connection to Steam, it locks all your community items (and I need mah Psycho knife). It's been happening off and on. I've had the same issue with other games (such as lobby connection issues), but few games club you over the head about it like Payday does. Who knows how NV got jacked up. Steam is just weird.
General Zod
Never Shuts Up

Post by General Zod »

Edit: Nevermind. Just saw the post where you said you fixed it.
"It's you Americans. There's something about nipples you hate. If this were Germany, we'd be romping around naked on the stage here."