Mafia 3 - WTF?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Mafia 3 - WTF?

Post by Thanas »

Anybody else catch the announce of Mafia III?

Does this in any way look like a spiritual successor to this?

Why is it suddenly an open-world game?
Where is the atmosphere of the previous games gone?
Why does this look like a cross between GTA and a shitty Michael Bay movie with cars exploding en masse?
Protagonist looks like any standard character, but in any case, why are you now fighting against the Italian Mafia? Wasn't the franchise supposed to be about the different eras of said Italian Mob?
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Re: Mafia 3 - WTF?

Post by Grumman »

Thanas wrote:Does this in any way look like a spiritual successor to this?
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nohp4uo-Xo[/youtube]
Were the previous games not open-world games? This, this and this look like the same genre as GTA3+ to me.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Not really. For example, you could deviate during Missions and go get a coffee or something, but there was no open world really.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I wouldn't mind this game if it was called something else but I was hoping for some real closure with Vito. I hoped that Joe would be saved.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote:Anybody else catch the announce of Mafia III?

Does this in any way look like a spiritual successor to this?
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Nohp4uo-Xo[/youtube]
Where is the atmosphere of the previous games gone?
Why does this look like a cross between GTA and a shitty Michael Bay movie with cars exploding en masse?
Protagonist looks like any standard character, but in any case, why are you now fighting against the Italian Mafia? Wasn't the franchise supposed to be about the different eras of said Italian Mob?
Who cares, anything would be an improvement over the first 2. I absolutely loathed how the first game forced you into a narrative of being the "nice guy mobster". And I can barely remember the second one beyond being in prison for 5 minutes and getting speeding tickets.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

Mafia 2 was open world in the sense that you could drive around in the city all you wanted between missions, there just wasn't anything to do in there.
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Metahive wrote:Mafia 2 was open world in the sense that you could drive around in the city all you wanted between missions, there just wasn't anything to do in there.
It was the same in the first one. It's so dumb. "Drive from "here" to "here" to start mission, and drive slow and stop at lights so you don't get a ticket!" The only other game with as useless an "open world" was that horrible LA Detective game whose name escapes me since it was that bad and forgettable, but it had the decency to at least offer a button to go right to the location, skipping the 20 minute drive. :lol:
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Flagg wrote:that horrible LA Detective game whose name escapes me
L.A. Noire.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

you are entitled to your opinion Flagg. For me Mafia 1+2 will always be great games for the same reasons you seem to loathe them.

De gustibus non est disputandum.
------------
------------
My LPs
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Enigma wrote:I wouldn't mind this game if it was called something else but I was hoping for some real closure with Vito. I hoped that Joe would be saved.
...is this a joke? No, Joe dies. Joe dies and Vito accepts this, as the final step in his character arc from a naif who idolizes the Cosa Nostra to a cynical member who sees them for the hypocrites they are, but can imagine no other life for himself.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Terralthra wrote:
Enigma wrote:I wouldn't mind this game if it was called something else but I was hoping for some real closure with Vito. I hoped that Joe would be saved.
...is this a joke? No, Joe dies. Joe dies and Vito accepts this, as the final step in his character arc from a naif who idolizes the Cosa Nostra to a cynical member who sees them for the hypocrites they are, but can imagine no other life for himself.
Not a joke. I liked Joe.

Is it too early to release gameplay footage of Mafia 3?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

They did, it sucked. See the video in OP.
------------
------------
My LPs
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Thanas wrote:They did, it sucked. See the video in OP.
Yeah, I still have trouble seeing youtube vids on this board. Don't know why. I'll copy\paste the relevant links instead.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I saw the links and reserving judgement. Visually, to me at least, it surpasses GTAV. The characters look a lot better than GTAV's rubberized muppets. Other than that, I'm taking a wait and see approach.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Flagg wrote:
Metahive wrote:Mafia 2 was open world in the sense that you could drive around in the city all you wanted between missions, there just wasn't anything to do in there.
It was the same in the first one. It's so dumb. "Drive from "here" to "here" to start mission, and drive slow and stop at lights so you don't get a ticket!" The only other game with as useless an "open world" was that horrible LA Detective game whose name escapes me since it was that bad and forgettable, but it had the decency to at least offer a button to go right to the location, skipping the 20 minute drive. :lol:
There was that North Korean state-developed game where you drive around Pyongyang and gather factoids about various buildings/monuments as powerups. That was way worse.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Venator wrote:There was that North Korean state-developed game where you drive around Pyongyang and gather factoids about various buildings/monuments as powerups. That was way worse.
What is that thing called? Is it available to us in the west? Where do I get it?
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Purple wrote:
Venator wrote:There was that North Korean state-developed game where you drive around Pyongyang and gather factoids about various buildings/monuments as powerups. That was way worse.
What is that thing called? Is it available to us in the west? Where do I get it?
Pyongyang Racer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0WhdhbImLM

Back on topic... I think that moving to a sandbox/open world/roaming style is just an industry-wide thing, so it shouldn't be too surprising in a game where there was already an "open" "world" mechanic. Games get slagged for being too linear regardless of genre, and games with less-than-dynamic open areas get slagged for not fleshing them out and accused of lazy development.

With so many big titles (Arkham, Watch Dogs, GTA) having full sandboxes and reviewers seem to expect it, everyone else is jumping on board. Remember how physics puzzles became a thing every game had to have, regardless of how inappropriate, after Half-Life 2?
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Thanks. You just made me very joyous with glee!
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Metahive
Sith Devotee

Post by Metahive »

So if we are already going to scrape at the bottom of the barrel, might as well introduce the "Crime Line/Life" series of GTA clones. Here's an example:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMH49Y7nv4E

I still think they're funnier than modern AAA games though...
People at birth are naturally good. Their natures are similar, but their habits make them different from each other.
-Sanzi Jing (Three Character Classic)

Saddam’s crime was so bad we literally spent decades looking for our dropped monocles before we could harumph up the gumption to address it
-User Indigo Jump on Pharyngula

O God, please don't let me die today, tomorrow would be so much better!
-Traditional Spathi morning prayer
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!

Post by Flagg »

Thanas wrote:you are entitled to your opinion Flagg. For me Mafia 1+2 will always be great games for the same reasons you seem to loathe them.

Well the second one was far superior story wise just for the fact that the game didn't make you a goody two shoes who was "forced" into the mob by happenstance and didn't give the player the option to follow the orders you were given (I wanted to kill the bitch, she was a fucking informant and snitches get stitches. In the morgue after the autopsy. :twisted: ) rather than leave the snitch bitch and the IIRC fuckup alive.

And the driving between missions was equally horrid shit. I wouldn't have minded if there'd been quick travel that cost money or something, but the 15mph speed limits and stop lights and signs you has to obey or worry about cops was like senseless busywork, and if I wanted busywork I'd finish my time machine and go back 20 years to school. :P

I did like aspects of Mafia II a lot, but they weren't enough to make it good, IMO. Like the prison segment was great, but would've been better had you had a breakout rather than him serving the sentence (and I'm still baffled why GTA IV had this huge, full prison complex, the brother of a close "friend" you do missions for arrested and put in this prison, yet there was no "break him out and get him to Ireland" mission) but the fact that they showed the main character actually pay a real penalty for his actions and is incorporated in the game was fun.

But at the end of the day, to me, it was basically just a shooter with an unnecessary semi-open world that was more frustrating and annoying than freeing. But it had its moments.
-Negan

Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
-George Bernard Shaw
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Flagg wrote:
Thanas wrote:you are entitled to your opinion Flagg. For me Mafia 1+2 will always be great games for the same reasons you seem to loathe them.

Well the second one was far superior story wise just for the fact that the game didn't make you a goody two shoes who was "forced" into the mob by happenstance and didn't give the player the option to follow the orders you were given (I wanted to kill the bitch, she was a fucking informant and snitches get stitches. In the morgue after the autopsy. :twisted: ) rather than leave the snitch bitch and the IIRC fuckup alive.

And the driving between missions was equally horrid shit. I wouldn't have minded if there'd been quick travel that cost money or something, but the 15mph speed limits and stop lights and signs you has to obey or worry about cops was like senseless busywork, and if I wanted busywork I'd finish my time machine and go back 20 years to school. :P

I did like aspects of Mafia II a lot, but they weren't enough to make it good, IMO. Like the prison segment was great, but would've been better had you had a breakout rather than him serving the sentence (and I'm still baffled why GTA IV had this huge, full prison complex, the brother of a close "friend" you do missions for arrested and put in this prison, yet there was no "break him out and get him to Ireland" mission) but the fact that they showed the main character actually pay a real penalty for his actions and is incorporated in the game was fun.

But at the end of the day, to me, it was basically just a shooter with an unnecessary semi-open world that was more frustrating and annoying than freeing. But it had its moments.
See, that's the thing. To me the speed limits and police being on your ass made it more real than anything. I loved the open world, limited though it was. And the first Mafia had some of the best mission designs ever, like "A trip to the country".
------------
------------
My LPs