Firefly Online.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Firefly Online.

Post by The Romulan Republic »

There was a thread about this here a while ago:

bbs.stardestroyer.net/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=159387&p=3797664&hilit=firefly#p3797664

However, a long time has passed and a lot has occurred since then according to this site for the game.

https://keepflying.com

It looks like the game will be good. For one thing, they've got an excellent cast. Not only have they apparently got the original cast of Firefly together again, they've brought on Michael Dorn and Will Wheaton from Star Trek: The Next Generation. Wheaton will be voicing the male version of the player's character. Oh, and the female version will be voiced by Courtney Taylor. That name doesn't mean much to me, but apparently she worked on Knights of the Old Republic, among other things.

I've very much enjoyed Star Trek Online, and have high hopes that this game will fill the space adventure niche just as well when it is finished.

Edit: the big question is when it will be released. They've had a number of delays.

Edit: I thought I should add some links to videos/trailers to make this more interesting.

https://keepflying.com/2014/07
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLU9swLg2BQ
Eleas
Jaina Dax

Re: Firefly Online.

Post by Eleas »

This looks pretty damn cool. Oh, and Courtenay Taylor was the voice of not only Juhani in KoTOR but Jack in Mass Effect. As Jack, she was excellent.
Björn Paulsen

"Travelers with closed minds can tell us little except about themselves."
--Chinua Achebe
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Haven't played Mass Effect, but I looked her up on IMDB and she has an enormous resume, a lot of it in video games.

I have quite high hopes for this game. I'm a bit concerned about the delays, but I suppose its better for them to take their time to make a good game than for them to rush and make something half-assed, particularly with this. Firefly was a rare gem of a show that deserves a game made with equal skill. I don't want my expectations to be too high, but I feel like this could almost be the continuation the show never got. To screw it up after so long would be a horrible waste.

Some more interesting things from the website:

-The guy who played Niska on the show is back.
-The game will run on Macs and PC.
-Its going to be set between Firefly and Serenity, allowing Book and Wash to return.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Do we know anything about the business model ?

The faq doesn't say what it is. Which is really worrying for two reasons. The first being that the business model should be decided early, so that the game can be built with it in mind. The second is that we are talking about a game that's being designed for mobile, which makes me really worried about pay to win bullshit.
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

That is a big omission.

The only thing I've found is a section of the FAQ entitled "How do I purchase the game?" The answer given is "At this time, the game is unavailable for purchase. We hope to offer preorders for desktop OSes in the near future."

Which indicates that it will not be free to play, but gives no further information.