Need advice regarding upgrading my computer.

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Need advice regarding upgrading my computer.

Post by Enigma »

Though my computer isn't totally "obsolete" (I believe with the exception of my video card, the computer can play most recent games at recommended system requirements level.), but I want to upgrade it. At first I was looking to just upgrade the CPU, GPU and add another HDD but then I realized that my MB supports 1155 Intel CPUs and not the (I believe) current 1150s. So now I am looking at pretty much gutting the system keeping only the PSU, RAM, DVD burner and the HDD.

I am not planning to buy all the parts at once but in piecemeal starting with the MB then CPU, then GPU and finally a 1 or 2TB HDD (non SSD, maybe some time down the road). My budget level is ~$200 per part, +/- $20, with the exception of the HDD, which is going to be ~$100.

I feel a bit overwhelmed in deciding how to get the best parts for my money. I know I want an Intel MB\CPU\GPU but feel confused as to which MB is the best one to get while within my budget. So I'm asking fellow SDNer's help as to what is the best component to get within my budget.

Here's my current setup:
Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz Sandy Bridge 32nm Technology
RAM: 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 666MHz (9-9-9-24)
Motherboard: MSI Z77A-G43 (MS-7758) (SOCKET 0)
Graphics: 2036 (1600x900@60Hz) 2048MB ATI AMD Radeon HD 7800 (7850) Series (ATI AIB) Specs
Storage: 931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EALX-009BA0 (SATA)
298GB Seagate ST3320620AS (SATA)
Optical Drives: ATAPI iHAS424 B
Audio: AMD High Definition Audio Device
I'm only replacing the MB\CPU\GPU and adding another HDD (planning to replace the 300GB Seagate). So what would be the best setup for the new rig? And thanks in advance for your help.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Re: Need advice regarding upgrading my computer.

Post by Mr Bean »

Looking at your setup, upgrading the GPU and your ram to 16 gigs will be more than sufficient to see you for the next three years.

Seriously the I5-2500k like the old 8800 GT is one of those rare pieces of equipment that can still compete four years later. Upgrading the CPU will net you a net positive 12%-20% VS the GPU which will be a 120%-190% improvement.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

I second most of that; leave the MB/CPU alone for now and put the money into GPU and RAM and, if you can find the budget, a SSD instead of a new hard drive. Sandy Bridge CPUs really have held up tremendously well over time, largely because CPUs have been fairly unimpressive for the past few years. Even the RAM is optional; while 16GB will help, 8 isn't unworkable.
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Cool. I was a bit hesitant to upgrade the CPU\MB as it does seem to hold up against newer games but yeah, I'll hold on to it.

Any ideas as to what Intel GPU to get for ~$200 same goes for the SSD?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
DaveJB
Jedi Council Member

Post by DaveJB »

If I were you, I'd try and save up another hundred dollars and then buy either a GeForce GTX 970 or Radeon R9 390. $200 would net you either a GeForce GTX 960 or Radeon R9 380, which would be a decent, but not earth-shattering improvement over your current card.

As far as SSDs go, most of them are pretty similar in performance terms these days. Intel themselves are pretty good in terms of reliability, although the likes of Corsair, Sandisk and Samsung are also apparently quite decent from a performance/value standpoint.

On another note, it looks like your monitor only does 1600x900. Might be worth upgrading it to a 1080p monitor, as any halfway decent graphics card these days (probably even your current one, in fact) will run that resolution without breaking a sweat.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

These series of charts will save you a lot of time comparing GPU's at least what you have VS what you can achive.

Tom's Hardware GPU charts are always useful for finding out handy comparisons

I prefer this chart here as Battlefield 4 at 1080p with all the bells and whistles turned on is a great comparator for older cards VS newer cards. Every test is run with the same cpu/memory setup so you get a very good card vs card comparison.

I threw together a quick AMD 7850 VS a Nvidia 960 and 970 since the new Fury is not in there yet. Long story short a Nvidia 970 would be a 80% to 120% performance increase over your current rig. Just for 350$

Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I'm thinking of the GTX 960 4GB. Which is better, the Gaming version or the Windforce?
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Enigma wrote:I'm thinking of the GTX 960 4GB. Which is better, the Gaming version or the Windforce?
The 960 is a card that OC does not change that heavily so pick the one that looks pretty to you, is decently priced and available.

Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Thanks. Now to search for a decent monitor. :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

Might I suggest picking up a 250GB Samsung 850 Evo? It's right on your budget target, and though you'll be losing 50 GB compared to the drive you're replacing, the performance difference is simply astounding. I got one a couple months back and did a fresh install of Windows 10 on it, and my computer now boots up in about fifteen seconds, most of which is spent waiting for the POST to finish since I'm also using a Sandy Bridge CPU and mobo (i7-2600k and Asus P8P67 Deluxe). After moving my GTAV install to it, I could finally play without the streaming-related microstuttering I'd been getting while traveling at more than a snail's pace. Combined with the GTX 970 I picked up back in February, I'm back to playing everything on High/Ultra settings again, after seeing my GTX 560 Ti struggle to run the latest games even at their lowest settings.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
mr friendly guy
The Doctor
Location: In a 1960s police telephone box somewhere in Australia

Post by mr friendly guy »

If you got a lot of stuff on your hard drive, you might consider a portable one with USB 3 connection. I keep a lot of video files, comic book files on a Western digital 3 TB drive (before that I had 2 TB), while keep the main HDD and SDD for games. If you have a lot of multimedia files and run out of space on the portable hard drive and need a new one, you can still use the old one by connecting it to a Home Theatre PC, and watch on the bring screen.
Never apologise for being a geek, because they won't apologise to you for being an arsehole. John Barrowman - 22 June 2014 Perth Supernova.

Countries I have been to - 14.
Australia, Canada, China, Colombia, Denmark, Ecuador, Finland, Germany, Malaysia, Netherlands, Norway, Singapore, Sweden, USA.
Always on the lookout for more nice places to visit.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

My 300GB Seagate was originally used as internal but when I built this PC a few years I made it portable. But then got tired of constantly plugging it in to use it so I just made it internal again. :)

I might get an SSD for the OS and keep the other two for storage and gaming. The 1TB is 6GB\s capable where is the 300GB is slower. On a side note, I'm surprised the Seagate is still fully functional after 5+ years. I really expected it to fail a while ago.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

ASSCRAVATS!
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I can confirm that an SSD for the OS drive has made the biggest improvement in overall system performance for me. I have a second smaller SSD drive for the page file. My computer is much older than yours, a quad-core Phenom and an Nvidia 9800GT with 16gb...and it plays the latest games fine due to the SSD.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!