The new IPs you think are worth keeping an eye on

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

The new IPs you think are worth keeping an eye on

Post by Lagmonster »

I just finished going through the debut trailers for games which caught my attention out of E3, and wanted to have a place for people to mention upcoming titles based on NEW IPs (not sequels, tie-ins or reboots) that they think are worth keeping an eye on for 2015-2016. Partially so I have one place to refer to so I don't forget about them months later, partially to solicit similar opinions from other people.

ReCore
- Nothing to go on yet, but the setting and art style caught my interest. Nice to see a female protagonist in a new sci-fi game. They made a point of saying that this is made by the guys behind Metroid: Prime, which scores nostalgia points with me.

Horizon - Zero Dawn
- Straight up makes me want to buy a PS4. Looks like a big-world version of one of my favourite games, Enslaved: Odyssey to the West. Cavemen hunting robo-dinos in the ruins of the old world? Yes please.

Adr1ft
- The gameplay will need to be solid, and not take the easy route of a stream of quicktime events, but the premise of being alone in the middle of catastrophe where nothing kitschy is actively trying to kill you puts this one on my watch list.
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Re: The new IPs you think are worth keeping an eye on

Post by Enigma »

No Man's Sky is one I eagerly await.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Enigma wrote:No Man's Sky is one I eagerly await.
Yeah, 'Vaporware: Spaceships', does look cool. Too bad all the "gameplay footage" they had been releasing since long before this years E3 was bogus. :lol: But I hope it's not another Spore, I really do. I just don't trust devs at all, and since these guys literally lied to everyone...
But one thing I really hope for that I'm sure won't be in the game as it's, you know, cool, would be planets with intelligent but way less technologically sophisticated life and civilizations, so you can fuck with them, or even conquer their world with one decent battleship.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

Flagg wrote:
Yeah, 'Vaporware: Spaceships', does look cool. Too bad all the "gameplay footage" they had been releasing since long before this years E3 was bogus. :lol: But I hope it's not another Spore, I really do. I just don't trust devs at all, and since these guys literally lied to everyone...
But one thing I really hope for that I'm sure won't be in the game as it's, you know, cool, would be planets with intelligent but way less technologically sophisticated life and civilizations, so you can fuck with them, or even conquer their world with one decent battleship.
Can you link the article that says they lied? I want to know.
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

Enigma wrote:
Flagg wrote:
Can't find it now, of course. May have dreamed it. :lol: I did like 50 google searches and couldn't find it, so... :oops:
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

No Man's Sky doesn't sound like it will be an interesting game. I'm expecting that a lot of people are going to be disappointed even if it is exactly what is being promised. A game where you explore a procedurally generated galaxy, grind units by shooting things, use them to upgrade your stuff. All while heading to the centre of the galaxy for a reason the developers don't want to reveal. IGN has a video where they ask the developer about what is at the centre. The dev jokes his way out of answering the question.

So I'm only paying attention to it for when the hype train crashes.

The only other unreleased game I'm paying much attention to is Star Citizen. Again, it's not for the game itself, but for the trainwreck.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Adr1ft is said to be an absolutely fantastic VR experience. I´m looking forward to its release.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Enigma wrote:
Flagg wrote:Yeah, 'Vaporware: Spaceships', does look cool. Too bad all the "gameplay footage" they had been releasing since long before this years E3 was bogus. :lol: But I hope it's not another Spore, I really do. I just don't trust devs at all, and since these guys literally lied to everyone...
IIRC, the "lie" is that previous footage has been of what the game can produce, rather than what the game will produce. This is the first time they've picked a planet at random on stage and said "I have no idea what is on this planet. Let's find out."

But to be honest, that's not how you should be playing the game. There will be trailblazers out there who go explore random unexplored planets for the naming rights and to see what is there, but you really should be able to find out where a friend is - or see someone on the internet say "Come look at this awesome planet I just found!" - and go there. That is what a universe of this size requires, but that's not how you are going to play the game, which leaves it as what I predict to be a forgettable single player sandbox.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Since they are giving players naming rights over the things they discover*, are they doing anything to prevent the names you'd expect to come from /b/ ?

Duplicate names are going to be another issue.

*The video I linked gave the impression that you can name things even if there is regular NPC traffic that would have discovered it long before you went there.