doom remake spring 2016

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

dragon
Sith Marauder

doom remake spring 2016

Post by dragon »

Opposable Thumbs / Gaming & Entertainment
Fallout 4, Dishonored 2, Doom—Bethesda opens up with both barrels
Company’s first E3 press conference is packed with good news for gamers.

We knew in advance that we’d be hearing more about Fallout 4 and Doom from Bethesda at their “E3 showcase” Sunday evening, but the best laid plans of mice and mutants gang aft agley—a brief technical mix-up the day before also told us that we’d be getting a look at Dishonored 2 as well. But there didn’t need to be any surprises—those three AAA games themselves were enough to warm any gamer’s heart. Especially if you like Fallout.
Doom de doom doom doom

First up was a new Doom game, titled simply Doom. The latest entry in long-running franchise is built on id Software’s latest engine, id Tech 6, and id Software executive producer Marty Stratton described the game as being about “badass demons, big effing guns, and moving really, really fast.”

The audience was then shown a long video consisting entirely of in-engine gameplay, with a space-suited marine running through a Union Aerospace Corporation mining facility, blowing up hell-spawn in fine form. Doom games have always looked great, thanks to the engine wizardry of John Carmack and friends; though Carmack is no longer at id, the new Doom game carries on that trend. Where id Tech 6 makes Doom look great is in the lighting and shadowing—we’re long past the point where realistic gaming environments are amazing, but id Tech 6’s shadowing and lighting really did make a noticeable difference. We also got a glimpse at a hell level, which in contrast to Doom 3’s portrayal of the netherworld was relatively well-lit and moody—though the standard “id palette” of grays, blacks, and reds still dominated.
Enlarge / Doom. Doom never changes. Man, I am gonna run that joke into the ground.

Several old favorites made appearances, like the double-barreled “supershotgun,” the rocket launcher, the chainsaw (which now dismembers enemies in fountains of gore), and even the BFG. Parts of the demo shown were humorously macabre—with the marine tearing off a corpse’s arm to clear a hand-scanning security checkpoint.

The game will also include several different multiplayer modes, which were shown after the single player demo. From the sound of it, the designers are taking their cues from the best of past multiplayer games, with things looking like modern take on old-school deathmatch favorites Quake 3 Arena and Unreal Tournament. The game will have several multiplayer modes available—mentioned by name were domination, freeze tag, and clan arena—and the multiplayer looked a lot faster and more frenetic than the single player demo.
Enlarge / Snapmap looked easy enough to use.

A map creator/editor will be included with the game, called “Snap Map,” and it has been advertised as simple enough to allow players with little-to-no map-bulding experience to construct new multiplayer levels. Players can also modify the game’s logic to build new kinds of multiplayer gameplay modes or to tailor an experience to a specific level. Given how many game designers got their start designing Doom and Quake levels in their spare time, this tool has tremendous potential.

Doom should be available in the spring of 2016 on Xbox One, PS4, and “PC.” No word yet on if that just means Windows or if Linux and OS X are included.
link
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
salm
Rabid Monkey

Re: doom remake spring 2016

Post by salm »

Are there other screenshots that that single bland hallway?
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

After watching this DOOM gameplay demo from E3, all I have to say is...holy shit.

You will be assimilated...bunghole!
dragon
Sith Marauder

Post by dragon »

"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Cool, but looks very pre-rendered.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Elheru Aran wrote:Cool, but looks very pre-rendered.
Might be running on 32 SLI-ed Titans, but doesn't look pre-rendered to me. Not a stab at you, but people were saying the same thing about Doom3 gameplay trailers. id can actually hack shit like that out, unlike some other devs. They just make good looking games.... that are dark and brown.
TronPaul
Padawan Learner

Post by TronPaul »

Some of the animations from the demo during e3 seem to have the typical Bethesda take: too long and repetitive. Particularly the punch, punch, kill animation. Otherwise, besides the samey color, it looks interesting. The goomba/curb stomp from the demo looked fun.
If it waddles like a duck and it quacks like a duck, it's a KV-5.
Vote Electron Standard, vote Tron Paul 2012
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Pretty sure Beth is just publishing and id is doing all the development. They might bring some guys in, but they usually keep it all in-house.
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Does anybody know anything about the Id Tech 6 engine? Id sofware engines have usually come with some sort of technical inovation, Id Tech 4 (Doom3) with its realtime stencil shadows and Id Tech 5 with the Megatexture technology.
I read a couple of very old articles about Id Tech 6 having some sort of voxel raycasting technology used for displying geometry in a way similar to textures.
But on the one hand these articles are from 2009 to 2011 and to be honest I also don´t fully understand the technical mumbo jumbo.
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

My God. This isn't just Doom. It's Brutal Doom.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

I don't know what to think. On one hand, doom is a classic, on the other Doom 3 was an uninspired shooter with mediocre gameplay and full of jump scares which got old really quickly leaving it with no replay value at all. So it all hinges on if they can break away from that legacy.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

full of jump scares which got old really quickly leaving it with no replay value at all.
My only complaint about the game was how scripted it was.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Purple wrote:I don't know what to think. On one hand, doom is a classic, on the other Doom 3 was an uninspired shooter with mediocre gameplay and full of jump scares which got old really quickly leaving it with no replay value at all. So it all hinges on if they can break away from that legacy.
The Gameplay demo is the Doom Marine taking on the standard 4-50 enemies at the same time moving very quickly complete with mantling and can hold your inventory is every single gun ever along with thousands of rounds of ammo.

It's old Doom 1/Doom 2 gameplay, the super fast, hordes of enemies combined with high gore and big open and pretty environments.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Borgholio wrote:
full of jump scares which got old really quickly leaving it with no replay value at all.
My only complaint about the game was how scripted it was.
Yea, the scripted jump scares. Jump scares can be fine and well when they are random. But when you are going through the same area for the 5th time and you know exactly where the enemy is going to be they become just an annoyance that you need to remember to point your shotgun at.
Mr Bean wrote:The Gameplay demo is the Doom Marine taking on the standard 4-50 enemies at the same time moving very quickly complete with mantling and can hold your inventory is every single gun ever along with thousands of rounds of ammo.

It's old Doom 1/Doom 2 gameplay, the super fast, hordes of enemies combined with high gore and big open and pretty environments.
I'll start saving my money than.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Worse, the "imp behind a door" had invulnerability frames, so even after going through an empty room (SUSPENSE) and shooting as soon as the next door opened, the Imp would get at least one attack off.

I know it's a running joke about how brown Doom 3 would be if it wasn't so dark you couldn't make out anything, but the game was (and honestly, still is) graphically impressive. And even though the game required a lot of horsepower to run at recommended settings, it still managed to push out a lot more than most games could with the hardware. The engine just seems to be very scalable.

And this is why id is the king of FPS engines and shit at game-making: They make tech-demos and let other developers make decent games.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

I know it's a running joke about how brown Doom 3 would be if it wasn't so dark you couldn't make out anything,
Duct tape mod. Lets you attach a flashlight to the barrel of your weapon. I never played Doom 3 without it.
Purple
Sith Acolyte

Post by Purple »

The whole flashlight with a tiny cone of light thing is dumb in its own right. Seriously, the only games that did it well were the AvPs. And even they only worked because it's supposed to be survival horror.

Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Borgholio wrote:
I know it's a running joke about how brown Doom 3 would be if it wasn't so dark you couldn't make out anything,
Duct tape mod. Lets you attach a flashlight to the barrel of your weapon. I never played Doom 3 without it.
The BFG edition remake from 2013 or so had the flashlight attached to your armour, but to compensate for being useable with weapons it had the standard "use for 20 seconds then recharge" thing.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

use for 20 seconds then recharge
How long did it take to recharge?
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

About 5 seconds or thereabouts. Not enough to be really annoying, but enough to stop you just leaving it on constantly.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Borgholio wrote:Duct tape mod. Lets you attach a flashlight to the barrel of your weapon. I never played Doom 3 without it.
Even with the flashlight, a lot of Doom3's eye-candy is covered up by dark and brown. id and other developers like Epic actually know how to get the most out of a system and generally don't waste time with pre-rendered assets. The trailers they show are almost always done using in-game assets, even if the hardware they're running it on is miles above what us lowly mortals can afford.

This is a 2004 game:

Like I said, people did not believe this game would run on current hardware and it was pushing the limits of said hardware. It doesn't look much better than the demo they pushed out around 2001-2002. At least from my recollection. id knows their shit.

And whoever came up with the finite flashlight idea..... there should exist a room in each development studio where people who come up with ideas like that are paddled. I loved Half-Life and FEAR, but that is one of the dumbest mechanics to ever make it into FPS. There's better ways to do it in general, and there's even better ways to create tension in horror games.

Left 4 Dead is one good way to do this: flashlights have drawbacks to always being left on. They didn't have to annoy the player with stupid contrivances. The player makes the choice, not the game.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

And whoever came up with the finite flashlight idea..... there should exist a room in each development studio where people who come up with ideas like that are paddled.
Really. I mean today we have helmet-mounted lights used by both military and civilians that can last for days between charges, and taclights have been around for decades. Why an ultra-advanced space marine with a portable nuclear-powered big fucking gun doesn't have a $5 LED flashlight and a roll of duct tape is beyond me.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Borgholio wrote:
And whoever came up with the finite flashlight idea..... there should exist a room in each development studio where people who come up with ideas like that are paddled.
Really. I mean today we have helmet-mounted lights used by both military and civilians that can last for days between charges, and taclights have been around for decades. Why an ultra-advanced space marine with a portable nuclear-powered big fucking gun doesn't have a $5 LED flashlight and a roll of duct tape is beyond me.
Here's an idea, use that gory Doom history to your advantage, what if the demons rushing you when shot to close drenched you in demonic bodily fluids and now instead of powering up the flashlight your now frantically scrubbing go off the flashlight lenses. Heck we have rain effects why not a frantic swipe your faceplate clean minigame? It could have set a standard for years to come, instead we wonder why they don't at least let you carry the pistol and the flashlight at the same time.

Heck one of the first PC Gamers pieces I read about Doom3 at the time mentioned the old standard of cops carrying big maglights in one hand up and to the left of their body mass on one shoulder with the pistol on the other side.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Borgholio wrote:
While I agree that the finite light mechanic is annoying I find this argument a bad one against it.
If making the flashlight last only a couple of seconds was actually a fun game mechanic I wouldn´t care at all about it being realistic or not. Just like I don´t care about the fact that the doom marine can carry a whole arsenal of weapons and a gazillion rounds of ammo. Or how Gybrush Threapwood can carry even more than that without even having a buldge in his pocket.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

A good way in my honest opinion to make a "limited" flashlight work, would be to have the enemies "see" your flashlight, even in classic Doom there were times when getting noticed by every enemy in the room was not beneficial, so you could make it a choice between be seen but have fight on the mosters's terms or not be seen but also not see as well.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n