doom remake spring 2016

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Re: doom remake spring 2016

Post by Borgholio »

A good way in my honest opinion to make a "limited" flashlight work, would be to have the enemies "see" your flashlight
Alien Isolation does this quite well. The alien can see the light from your flashlight or flare, it can hear the beep of your motion tracker if you're too close, things like that. I refuse to play that game since even the trailers scare the shit out of me...but from what I read the AI of the alien is really really good.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Borgholio wrote:
A good way in my honest opinion to make a "limited" flashlight work, would be to have the enemies "see" your flashlight
Alien Isolation does this quite well. The alien can see the light from your flashlight or flare, it can hear the beep of your motion tracker if you're too close, things like that. I refuse to play that game since even the trailers scare the shit out of me...but from what I read the AI of the alien is really really good.
If you like I can link you to a good letsplay of it that I am currently following. You get all the fun and scariness but with a convenient pause button and less frustration.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Lord Revan wrote:A good way in my honest opinion to make a "limited" flashlight work, would be to have the enemies "see" your flashlight, even in classic Doom there were times when getting noticed by every enemy in the room was not beneficial, so you could make it a choice between be seen but have fight on the mosters's terms or not be seen but also not see as well.
FEAR actually did use something like this, enemies would react to your flashlight...if it was the Perseus troopers, the ATC Security goons were less than stellar.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Eternal_Freedom wrote:FEAR actually did use something like this, enemies would react to your flashlight...if it was the Perseus troopers, the ATC Security goons were less than stellar.
This is why I really hated it in FEAR. The developer already gave you a reason to not use the flashlight at all times and even had Alma's psychic-BS disable it numerous times for those horror parts of the game: why put a 30 second auto-recharging battery in it?

L4Dead is literally the way flashlights should be done if offered: they make enemies notice you more quickly and witches go berserk much more quickly. The player should make the choice for when to use and not use mechanics, not be forced due to gameplay contrivances. The only "choice" I make in a game like FEAR is waiting in the same spot for X seconds while my flashlight recharges because some section were so goddamn dark, blindly stumbling through them really wasn't an option.

Doom 3 was a graphical power-house nearly ruined by by the need for a flashlight in the first place and the mechanic they slathered on top of it. And id was actually proud of that shit during development.
Alferd Packer
Sith Marauder

Post by Alferd Packer »

Can't decide if I like this or Brutal Doom more.
"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance--that principle is contempt prior to investigation." -Herbert Spencer

"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain." - Schiller, Die Jungfrau von Orleans, III vi.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

The trailers look a bit over the top, but I really like they got the feel of supersoldier right. None of the 'you're just regular guy in paper armor' nonsense both Halo and Crysis had (maybe they improved it in later parts, I don't know, first instalments of both put me off these). When even Republic Commando with most definitely not supersoldier protagonists got the epic feel better than most power armored shooters you know something was very wrong.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Though I don't know about the new Doom, it's funny because you were never supposed to be a super-soldier in Doom. You were just some Doomed Space Marine. The gameplay however did facilitate you being godly by allowing you to massacre hundred of demons.

I haven't played Crysis, but Halo is in contrast because you actually are a super-soldiery 7-foot tall armored killing machine.... all of which basically puts you on par vs Covenant Elites, who are even taller and better armored killing machines. A single-elite can, and does, kill entire squads of regular marines. And you fight loads of them in Halo. But they really don't look all that special, unlike Hunters which you fight a lot less of. Meanwhile, Doom has a myriad of big-badass demon models to throw at you.

The games really are just presented and play wildly different.

And Delta Squad from Republic Commando were pretty boss and well above the cut of the average Clone Trooper. There's a reason they're are consistently given suicide missions. Because their whole A-Team vibe makes said missions not so suicidal. Damn that game played great on so many levels. Just needed co-op and it would probably rank as one of my best games of all time.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

TheFeniX wrote: And Delta Squad from Republic Commando were pretty boss and well above the cut of the average Clone Trooper. There's a reason they're are consistently given suicide missions. Because their whole A-Team vibe makes said missions not so suicidal. Damn that game played great on so many levels. Just needed co-op and it would probably rank as one of my best games of all time.
A little off topic, but how would you have made it co-op exactly? Two squads, or the coop players make up members of the squad?
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

The second option I think. That would have been awesome.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Two squads might be interesting as you could try to play as a 'platoon' in that case. Might have made the game too easy to beat, though, with multiple guns in action, and would likely have gotten laggy if you went past two players. So yeah, having players fill up the one squad makes a little more sense. Would have to pick which character you wanted to specialize with, I suppose...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Elheru Aran wrote:
TheFeniX wrote:And Delta Squad from Republic Commando were pretty boss and well above the cut of the average Clone Trooper. There's a reason they're are consistently given suicide missions. Because their whole A-Team vibe makes said missions not so suicidal. Damn that game played great on so many levels. Just needed co-op and it would probably rank as one of my best games of all time.
A little off topic, but how would you have made it co-op exactly? Two squads, or the coop players make up members of the squad?
Give the player the ability to utilize the "action-areas" themselves, possibly by giving a damage increase/infinite ammo for whatever weapon that area uses, then just replace the AI with human-controlled players. Breaching actions could be handled like they were in Rainbow 6 co-op games.

Obviously, some changes would have to be made. Either remove the solo parts of some levels from the MP list (such as the assault on the droid ship where you have to put the team back together, CoD:WaW did this for a couple levels) or have the co-op add in those sections for the other players to play. Or just design the levels differently.

Adding in another squad means I'm still not playing with my buddies, just kind of parallel. And giving order to the other 2 NPCs in Vegas 2 instead of the game just being 4-player co-op was annoying. Not a huge fan.

Though seamless co-op does have it hilarious moments. I was playing some 3-player Navy Seals game with my roomates years back where we had to rescue a squad-mate. Rich spawned in a prison cell with no weapons until we broke him out. "ENGAGING GAMEPLAY FENIX!"

That a 4-man squad game, in the time when every damn game had split-screen co-op after the success of Halo and in the Star Wars universe, was single-player only is still to this day a travesty. The game easily could have a been a power-house in the FPS scene if not for the lack of co-op when it seemed designed for it and the lack-luster and heavily unbalanced (in favor of the Trandoshans) Multi-player.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

TheFeniX wrote:Though I don't know about the new Doom, it's funny because you were never supposed to be a super-soldier in Doom. You were just some Doomed Space Marine. The gameplay however did facilitate you being godly by allowing you to massacre hundred of demons.
Future space marine, though. One doing impossible feats, letting the player feel like a supersoldier even if that was not the intent. Show, not tell, so to say.
I haven't played Crysis, but Halo is in contrast because you actually are a super-soldiery 7-foot tall armored killing machine.... all of which basically puts you on par vs Covenant Elites, who are even taller and better armored killing machines. A single-elite can, and does, kill entire squads of regular marines. And you fight loads of them in Halo. But they really don't look all that special, unlike Hunters which you fight a lot less of. Meanwhile, Doom has a myriad of big-badass demon models to throw at you.

But that's the thing - putting you on par with common enemies, even elite ones, just cheapened the whole thing. If you play Navy SEAL and all your enemies are members of SAS, GSG9, and GROM, you no longer feel elite. It's basically pointless, even if game throws some rent a cops your way sometimes. Add to that very underwhelming sounds and feel of guns that look like they very seriously under-gunned (your old regular human issue 7.62 mm assault rifle - why not 10 mm? Or 12.7 mm? Oh hell, something actually futuristic?) and you have a recipe for mediocrity.

Then, there is the fact that for supposed cost Spartans really should have been better and cutcenes where regular humans in power armour do feats not that far off Spartans... Making experience even poorer. If regular human (Sgt. Forge) can kill Elite in melee combat, what do you need Spartans for, again?

Space Marines in Warhammer Universe don't fight common enemy grunts. They mow them down. To fight them, enemy needs 10 foot tall genetically engineered killing machines, millions of years old murder robots, incredibly high evolved aliens who spent millennia training, or actual daemons. Despite that, Space Marines fight (and regularly win) with all of those. Compared to regular humans, they really are exceptional. In Halo? Not so much.
And Delta Squad from Republic Commando were pretty boss and well above the cut of the average Clone Trooper. There's a reason they're are consistently given suicide missions.
They were still humans. Yet, they triumphed over legions of droids, elite killing machines, enemy soldiers, tanks, and high ranking officers. You genuinely felt more powerful than enemy, something IMHO sorely lacking in Halo or Crysis.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Irbis wrote:Future space marine, though. One doing impossible feats, letting the player feel like a supersoldier even if that was not the intent. Show, not tell, so to say.
To be fair, id has always been about showing, not telling. But that's not to say Halo wasn't about the same thing. You start off looking down at all the soldiers on the ship after they purposely made it a big deal they took you out of cyro. Then you start off slaughtering the early boarding parties. If you started on a harder (Legendary is the canonical) difficulty, the waves are tough, but not hard. Then you start facing Elites and realize they're actually tougher than you.

Doom does the same thing, it just had more model variety and bigger almost always meant you needed more shotgun blasts.
But that's the thing - putting you on par with common enemies, even elite ones, just cheapened the whole thing.
I appreciate Halo turning the super-soldier motif on it's head. Yes, you're an unmitigated badass who could beat down the strongest human with ease. But you're still on equal footing with technologically advanced base-line aliens. Halo wasn't about making the character feel powerful as a matter of fact. The game rewarded you for being patient, something most Doom games did not due to the gameplay differences.

Also, as funny as it would be to watch Superman beat up random gangbangers for 90 minutes, it doesn't make for an engaging story.
If you play Navy SEAL and all your enemies are members of SAS, GSG9, and GROM, you no longer feel elite. It's basically pointless, even if game throws some rent a cops your way sometimes.
You've never played R6 Vegas, have you. Dudes with guns are dangerous to dudes with guns who aren't super-soldiers. Challenging gameplay makes you feel like a badass, not cutscenes or titles or technobabble explanations of super-soldiery.
Add to that very underwhelming sounds and feel of guns that look like they very seriously under-gunned (your old regular human issue 7.62 mm assault rifle - why not 10 mm? Or 12.7 mm? Oh hell, something actually futuristic?) and you have a recipe for mediocrity.
Because those weapons are still effective against the enemy (for whatever reason) and are likely easy to mass-produce during a war against extinction. Also, I spent a lot of time in Doom shooting non-awesome weapons such as pump and break-action shotguns. Except those weapons were still awesome, like the shotgun in Halo. Yes, rocket-lawnchairs, plasma rifles, and BFGs exist, but ammo is much sparser for them.

Also, Halo 1 gun sounds were great. 2 and 3.... not so much.

I'll say this, I liked Doom's 1-3. I liked Halo a Hell of a lot more. I don't care for the direction Halo's success pushed the FPS genre, but I won't fault the game for that. It is one of the best FPS made.
Then, there is the fact that for supposed cost Spartans really should have been better and cutcenes where regular humans in power armour do feats not that far off Spartans... Making experience even poorer. If regular human (Sgt. Forge) can kill Elite in melee combat, what do you need Spartans for, again?
I won't discuss the later games because they actually go in the direction you're talking about: SPARTANS become super-gods who dive into a situation that would have gotten them instantly killed in the earlier games. The whole "Forge" cutscene in Halo wars was dumb anyways as the Spartans slaughtered waves of Elites charging them across a bridge with melee weapons. I don't think Bungie was even involved in that game, but the whole thing started going that route in Halo 2 and the series was poorer for it. I mean, surviving reentry in Halo 3 due to "bio-gelational-stufficus:" someone just fell in love with their character and started jerking it to cutscene coolness.
Space Marines in Warhammer Universe don't fight common enemy grunts. They mow them down. To fight them, enemy needs 10 foot tall genetically engineered killing machines, millions of years old murder robots, incredibly high evolved aliens who spent millennia training, or actual daemons. Despite that, Space Marines fight (and regularly win) with all of those. Compared to regular humans, they really are exceptional. In Halo? Not so much.
So go play 40k games. Some of them are pretty badass. Halo went this route in the later games and the series sucked shit for it. You're also assuming that the Covenant wouldn't have won the war handily if not for space fundies. The humans aren't the big dogs in the Halo universe. They are literally a few years (at best) from complete extinction once the location of Earth was discovered. If not for the joke of a huge alien remote control somehow existing on Earth, the Covenant likely would have just glassed the homeworld and called it a day.

Besides, 40k has always been about masturbation. And it works quite well.
They were still humans. Yet, they triumphed over legions of droids, elite killing machines, enemy soldiers, tanks, and high ranking officers. You genuinely felt more powerful than enemy, something IMHO sorely lacking in Halo or Crysis.
Genetically modified space humans wielding technology far and above anything a Halo human could wield. They punch droids to death with a little vibro-blade help. Besides, what makes the droids so much higher-class enemies than grunts and jackals in Halo? Grunts may not be physically strong, but their technology makes them just as deadly, usually more so, than a UNSC marine. Droids are a joke in SW according to the pre-quels. No, what makes you feel like a badass in RC was the gameplay. You could have replaced all the droid models with teddy bears and you'd have the same game, though a bit fluffier.

Also, MC does the same thing, but he does it alone.
Terralthra
Requiescat in Pace

Post by Terralthra »

Purple wrote:I don't know what to think. On one hand, doom is a classic, on the other Doom 3 was an uninspired shooter with mediocre gameplay and full of jump scares which got old really quickly leaving it with no replay value at all. So it all hinges on if they can break away from that legacy.
You mean System Shock 2-? Yeah, played the first hour or so, and then got so nostalgic for the much better game it was imitating I went and played that instead.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Terralthra wrote:
Purple wrote:I don't know what to think. On one hand, doom is a classic, on the other Doom 3 was an uninspired shooter with mediocre gameplay and full of jump scares which got old really quickly leaving it with no replay value at all. So it all hinges on if they can break away from that legacy.
You mean System Shock 2-? Yeah, played the first hour or so, and then got so nostalgic for the much better game it was imitating I went and played that instead.
I actually managed to get through the whole game. And I was like... yea... what ever.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.