Fallout 4... is coming (10 Nov 2015)

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Fallout 4... is coming (10 Nov 2015)

Post by Mr Bean »

To busy trying to pre order to talk
Spoiler
1. Seems to be a mix of pre-rendered and in game
2. PUPPIES
3 Boston
4. Airships
5. Vault 111
6. It's east coast so lots of power armor is featured
7. Vertbirds, your on a flying vertbird
8. Mutants!
9. Fallout!
No date listed, my only issue is no date listed...

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Re: Fallout 4... is coming

Post by Lagmonster »

At some point, someone will point out how many things were wrong with most of Bethesda's open-world games, but I won't be paying much attention due to the fact that I give a statistically irrelevant number of fucks. I will gladly play a game titled Glitchfest: The Corporate Cash Grab if someone told me that I can explode mutants in slow-mo using retro-themed laser cannons.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Well, damn. No atomic car.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

The Fallout 4 website
Needless to say it's getting HAMMERED by millions of people. But there's a pre-order button, where does it go?
Found it, Street date is....
Release Date: 12/31/2015

So the last day of 2015.... the very last day.
Can a mod edit the title with Dec 31st 2015 date?

Lagmonster: Why, yes I can, you dapper fellow!

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
FaxModem1
Emperor's Hand

Re: Fallout 4... is coming (31 Dec 2015)

Post by FaxModem1 »

Hmm, so it takes place in Boston, so hopefully we should see the android plotline and the Underground Railroad for them from Fallout 3.

Also, I'm curious as to the vault. Is it a sealed vault just now opening up, the descendants of a vault meshing with society, or an open desolate vault that has been taken over by people from the wasteland.
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

im looking forward to this one. Good timing for the launch date, lots of punters with spare Christmas cash or vouchers.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
White Haven
Sith Acolyte

Post by White Haven »

So...that trailer. I know I'm not the only one who was disappointed in the stiff animations on display in the dog model, nor the fact that it looked like one big sculpted dog-brick, rather than something covered in fur. It doesn't look horrible, but neither does it look like anything like as good as it should. Blah, blah, not release product, etcetera etcetera -- the game's coming out in seven months, it might as well be from a graphical standpoint. Don't get me wrong, I'm interested in the game, but...uh...if it's going to look like that, why isn't it coming out in 2011?

Ultimately, I would really like to know where the huge, modern-AAA-development budget is going. It's not to graphics, those are treading water. It's not to exhaustive QA testing, this is a Bethesda game. If it's to content creation, why are the budgets ballooning rather than staying static?

EDIT: And if you know damned well that your dog model and animations are kinda janky, why in the name of sweet merciful fuck would you put it front-and-center for your announcement trailer?
Chronological Incontinence: Time warps around the poster. The thread topic winks out of existence and reappears in 1d10 posts.

Out of Context Theatre, this week starring Darth Nostril.
-'If you really want to fuck with these idiots tell them that there is a vaccine for chemtrails.'

Fiction!: The Final War (Bolo/Lovecraft) (Ch 7 9/15/11), Living (D&D, Complete)Image
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

FaxModem1 wrote:Hmm, so it takes place in Boston, so hopefully we should see the android plotline and the Underground Railroad for them from Fallout 3.

Also, I'm curious as to the vault. Is it a sealed vault just now opening up, the descendants of a vault meshing with society, or an open desolate vault that has been taken over by people from the wasteland.

I think that the leaked script a year or so back implied that the Vaultdwellers were in cryostasis the entire time. I've seen some people speculate that the "introduction" is you running to the vault with your family and waking up later.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Post by Lagmonster »

White Haven wrote:So...that trailer. I know I'm not the only one who was disappointed in the stiff animations on display in the dog model, nor the fact that it looked like one big sculpted dog-brick, rather than something covered in fur.
The most simple and direct answer is that they could save a crate of money by simply painting over the previous game. They don't have to improve the graphics or gameplay at all to sell a success; they simply have to create a huge, complicated, sidequest-filled world stacked with things to discover and blow up.

Frankly, I'd rather have them take a classic car and tune and shine it to perfection, over spending time engineering the sports car of Tomorrow.
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

Doesn't BethSoft always reserve the big engine upgrades for TES games? FO3 and NV were basically the Oblivion engine so why should we be surprised that this one hasn't changed much from Skyrim?
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

White Haven wrote:So...that trailer. I know I'm not the only one who was disappointed in the stiff animations on display in the dog model, nor the fact that it looked like one big sculpted dog-brick, rather than something covered in fur. It doesn't look horrible, but neither does it look like anything like as good as it should. Blah, blah, not release product, etcetera etcetera -- the game's coming out in seven months, it might as well be from a graphical standpoint. Don't get me wrong, I'm interested in the game, but...uh...if it's going to look like that, why isn't it coming out in 2011?
Creation Engine games don't break the graphics barrier. Same with animations. It's just not what they do. That Skyrim looked as good as it did while still having atrocious animations is pretty amazing actually. But a lot of that probably has to do with everyone remembering potato heads from Oblivion. The game really didn't look that bad for the times.

Beth just can't into graphics and animating. Look at the static mesh improvement and UV map correction mods for Skyrim. They look 1000 times better and are less resource intensive. Made by modders in their free time. Beth has always been about "good enough" and whereas this attitude makes companies like SEGA and Ubisoft pump out garbage that assaults the player constantly, Beth's garbage somehow manages to be enjoyable.
Ultimately, I would really like to know where the huge, modern-AAA-development budget is going. It's not to graphics, those are treading water. It's not to exhaustive QA testing, this is a Bethesda game. If it's to content creation, why are the budgets ballooning rather than staying static?
Marketing and likely (lack of) personnel retention and getting the new guys up to speed. Even though Beth makes cut-down Action-Adventure games now, they are still big games. There's a lot to make work as a singular game and the more people doing so, the more cost intensive it is to make sure everyone is on the same page. When you have a smaller team of people who've been working together for years, they can crank out a lot more with a lot less money.

Also likely that there are teams already working on the 3-5 DLCs they will be releasing.
EDIT: And if you know damned well that your dog model and animations are kinda janky, why in the name of sweet merciful fuck would you put it front-and-center for your announcement trailer?
Because people don't care. Honestly, I don't really care if the gameplay and story will be engaging. Since I only see Beth logos front and center, they probably won't be. So this is going to be a Steam sale pickup for me.
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

It's kind of sad that Skylanders is getting player-controlled vehicles before Fallout.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

God though, can you imagine how clunky and horrible a player controlled vehicle would be in a Bethesda game?
Starglider
Miles Dyson

Post by Starglider »

Vendetta wrote:God though, can you imagine how clunky and horrible a player controlled vehicle would be in a Bethesda game?
Eh, modders would fix it. :)
AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Post by AniThyng »

Vendetta wrote:God though, can you imagine how clunky and horrible a player controlled vehicle would be in a Bethesda game?
What did you say about my horse?!
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

I am reluctant to touch any Bethseda game after the stunt they pulled with paid mods. They backed out of doing it for Skyrim because of the whiplash reactions but the statement implied they would try to come up with another way of pushing the concept.
Oh look, new Bethseda game which many will buy because of the rampant mod communities that exist.
Joun_Lord
Jedi Master

Post by Joun_Lord »

There are some vehicle mods for Fallout 3 and New Vegas that honestly are pretty cool. Plus they got horses and rideable dragons in Elders Scrolls that work pretty good. It probably would take too much of a tweak to make the scripts used for the horses for motorcycles and the dragons for vertibirds.

The problem with vehicles in future games, and with the modded ones already existing, is the lack of passable roads in the Fallout universe. Its been over 200 years since last someone laid down asphalt, the roads are broken and destroyed if they even exist anymore. A place with civilization like the NCR would have probably repaired the roads, they mention in NV they are atleast repairing tracks and are quarrying limestone for concrete, but everywhere else would be pretty bad. Be a pretty bumpy ride.

I just really really hope Bethesda took what was great from Fallout 3 and New Vegas and made an truly awesome game. Fallout 3 had a kickass environment, beautiful and interesting with plenty of little nooks and crannies, Unfortunately much of downtown DC was boarded up by I guess Super Mutants trying to keep out squatters so the property value of their shacks don't go down.

New Vegas had great writing for companions and better crafting and weapons. The companions for Fallout 3 were pretty bland and usually had no backstory or missions related to them, New Vegas every companion had alot of backstory and quests to do. New Vegas had a pretty bland environment. Barely felt post-apocalyptic at times. More of a western with laser guns. None of the crawling through ruins and ducking into sewers that made Fallout 3 so much fun.

Things I definitely want in Fallout 4 is more Three Dog because 1 dog ain't enough and two is too low. More Liberty Prime and East Coast Bros of Steal. Iron sights and more ammo types, some really weird ones too that a world like Fallout would create. More exploration, none of that boarded up house crap. If I see a building I should be able to loot it. Smarter enemies, a drugged out raider might not use cover but a soldier should. More songs on the radio, having the same 20 songs repeating over and over gets boring despite the fact the songs are actually pretty good.

Most importantly more wackiness. Fallout is one of the darkest yet most hilarious game series ever and that ones of the reasons it so good. You're walking down the road and find a drainage chamber filled with a family who died in the aftermath of the the Great War after finding their SOS and walk a little farther to find a battle between robots, super mutants, and ......cows.
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Joun_Lord wrote:...a battle between robots, super mutants, and ......cows.
And the worst best part?

The cows are winning.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Joun_Lord wrote:
There are some vehicle mods for Fallout 3 and New Vegas that honestly are pretty cool.
Honestly, the main reason I want vehicles in the game proper is because that way it's more likely to be stable. I had to stop using the Fallout: NV CARS mod before I saved up enough money to buy one because it wasn't recognising one of its dependencies, but that's less likely to be a problem if it's an official part of the game and not a Frankenstein's monster of mod assets kludged together.
I just really really hope Bethesda took what was great from Fallout 3 and New Vegas and made an truly awesome game. Fallout 3 had a kickass environment, beautiful and interesting with plenty of little nooks and crannies, Unfortunately much of downtown DC was boarded up by I guess Super Mutants trying to keep out squatters so the property value of their shacks don't go down.

New Vegas had great writing for companions and better crafting and weapons. The companions for Fallout 3 were pretty bland and usually had no backstory or missions related to them, New Vegas every companion had alot of backstory and quests to do. New Vegas had a pretty bland environment. Barely felt post-apocalyptic at times. More of a western with laser guns. None of the crawling through ruins and ducking into sewers that made Fallout 3 so much fun.
Yeah, both games have their good points, but it would be really nice to have the good points of both at the same time.
Flagg
CUNTS FOR EYES!
Location: Hell. In The Room Right Next to Reagan. He's Fucking Bonzo. No, wait... Bonzo's fucking HIM.

Post by Flagg »

They are making more of these shitty games where it's been centuries and centuries since an apocalyptic war where people can build and maintain fucking hovering robots but haven't figured out how to build a wooden hut, roads, and just general medieval civilization? Not to mention the horrible gameplay, insanely irritatingly moronic "retro-future-1950s" pre-war style which is just the fucking 1950s, and glaring bugs that were never ever even attempted to be repaired.

And you monkey's are looking forward to a sequel with no gameplay video or even screenshots that might come out at the end of next year? Sad.

At least I know the awesome looking XCOM 2 will at least most likely come out in November of this year, given that dates like 12/31/ANY YEAR are just placeholders.
We pissing our pants yet?
-Negan

You got your shittin' pants on? Because you’re about to
Shit. Your. Pants!
-Negan

He who can,
does; he who cannot, teaches.
-George Bernard Shaw
LadyTevar
White Mage
White Mage

Post by LadyTevar »

Flagg? I know you're in pain, I know you're feeling miserable, but take your negativity and stuff it.

Fallout is a classic for a reason, and frankly, it's all because of the reasons you just badmouthed. Now, get out of the thread, unless you have something useful to say about the topic.
Nitram, slightly high on cough syrup: Do you know you're beautiful?
Me: Nope, that's why I have you around to tell me.
Nitram: You -are- beautiful. Anyone tries to tell you otherwise kill them.

"A life is like a garden. Perfect moments can be had, but not preserved, except in memory. LLAP" -- Leonard Nimoy, last Tweet
Enigma
is a laughing fool.

Post by Enigma »

I'm looking forward towards Fallout 4 but I hope they'll get rid of some of the stupidity that has been present in previous games. I mean, unless a particular rundown building has been previously occupied, I'd rather not find in every second desk\filing cabinet\etc... bottle caps, ammo or other such loot. Bad enough there's computers that still function AND have power after 200 years. Where are they getting the power from? If that shattered building is still getting electricity why don't we see constant sparks from ruptured wiring? These are just a bunch of little pet peeves but it does break the SoD.

Nevertheless, yay Fallout 4! :)
ASVS('97)/SDN('03)

"Whilst human alchemists refer to the combustion triangle, some of their orcish counterparts see it as more of a hexagon: heat, fuel, air, laughter, screaming, fun." Dawn of the Dragons

ASSCRAVATS!
Zaune
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zaune »

And Flagg's got a point about the whole post-apocalyptic Scavenged Punk aesthetic not making a lot of narrative sense. The third game's supposedly set what, two hundred years after the war? Someone should've thought to start quarrying some stone by now, or finding a pre-war clay pit and making bricks.
There are hardly any excesses of the most crazed psychopath that cannot easily be duplicated by a normal kindly family man who just comes in to work every day and has a job to do.
-- (Terry Pratchett, Small Gods)

Replace "ginger" with "n*gger," and suddenly it become a lot less funny, doesn't it?
-- fgalkin

Like my writing? Tip me on Patreon

I Have A Blog
biostem
Jedi Master

Post by biostem »

I enjoyed Fallout 1-3. When I tried t play New Vegas, it was plagued with so many bugs, that I barely made it 1/3 of the way through, before giving up. Apart from bug fixes, I'd like to see quest tracking handled a little better than past games - don't get me wrong - I like the open world environment, but I also need some unambiguous direction for the main plot points.
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

FO3 was pretty impressive, especially the first emergence into the wastes and the nuke blast, but it never quite stuck with me the way that FO 1 and 2 did. That could be the well-known effect of people remembering experiences from their teen years more vividly than later ones, of course, but I still feel that the Interplay Fallouts had a certain edge and grit that the Bethesda games lacked. NV with plenty of mods was fun enough to put another 10-15 hours into, but once I picked up Skyrim it was hard to go back. I'll probably buy FO4 shortly after release and put in about 10 hours before getting frustrated with bland combat (unmodded Beth games always have extremely bland combat), then return 6-12 months later when the realism mods have matured and put in 50+ awesome hours.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong