XCOM 2 to launch in November

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

AniThyng
Sith Devotee

Re: XCOM 2 to launch in November

Post by AniThyng »

Vietnam seems to have forgiven the USA...?
I do know how to spell
AniThyng is merely the name I gave to what became my favourite Baldur's Gate II mage character :P
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Grumman wrote:I'll take your word for it, but that's rather ridiculous in itself. Eating away at the torso until it hits something that is instantly crippling to the zombie is one thing, but a human-skin suit doesn't make much sense unless you approach the problem like a taxidermist would. The Chryssalid isn't going to be walking on human legs unless it can get its own legs down there past the bones, and it's not getting its mouth down there to make room.
From the wiki
The crab like claws of this creature are a powerful weapon in close combat. The high metabolism and strength of this creature give it sped and dexterity. Instead of killing its victim it impregnates it with an egg and injects a venom which turns it into a walking zombie. A new chryssalid will burst from the victim shortly after impregnation. Chryssalids are associated with the Snakeman race.
The eggs mature magically fast in a body. IIRC, even killing the zombie will still leave a fully grown Chryssalid... even after hitting your old pal with a rocket. Left alone for a few combat turns, the alien will bust out on it's own. Oh yea, and the fucking zombies could barf on another soldier and start a cascade effect.

It doesn't have to make sense, it was the 90s.

In the new game, they kill the host, vomit an egg into them, the egg magics up the nervous system to create the zombie.
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

TheFeniX wrote:You know what I miss? Giving the poor bastard leading the charge into the downed UFO a primed grenade. Though.... sometimes they'd shoot him down before he got through the doorway.... those were bad times....
Not if you named that character after someone you blacklisted and send them on their way to their ends it isn't. Besides with a heavy plasma selling at 100k you can buy few more guys to do it all over again.

Good times.

As for this game it looks really thought out so far, the carry wounded option to get out looks promising and should add more pressure on when you should bail the mission.

I am a 'tad' annoyed that the game doesn't take into account the ending of the EU game let alone that Xcom never got to the laser development stage. Are we have to research existing tech we already did beforehand? That would be annoying if so, why couldn't they just add that the aliens clamped down on humans after destroying the temple ship and planned a long term objective knowing full well their potential. It is at odds with one comment saying the volunteer didn't die at the end of EU.

Or maybe it isn't maybe somehow he transported himself to a parallel universe to where this takes place? Or maybe that comment was omitted.

Either way we'll find out and all I know is that the council will be requesting us again in November!
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Korgeta wrote:As for this game it looks really thought out so far, the carry wounded option to get out looks promising and should add more pressure on when you should bail the mission.
They're bringing that back? Honestly annoyed at the lack of hilarity EU provided. I remember on time in UFO, I was collecting live aliens, so everyone was decked out with stun rods. I got lucky and bagged a live Muton soldier after he didn't play the "argh" sound bite when he ate a facefull of plasma. So, I loaded him in a backpack and went about my business. After the last alien was down, the mission wouldn't end. I finally checked all my soldiers. I had sent a guy back to the ship with the Muton and made him 180 and was staring down an unarmed muton. Zap > mission ends.

The best was my that I always waited a few missions to see who my "break-out" soldier was. Sometimes, even railroading kills to one soldier wouldn't gaurantee they rank up the most. So, after more than a few missions, I named my Colonel "FeniX" and kept on playing. One mission, FeniX took multiple plasma rounds and ended up in sickbay for over a month. In that time I had to shuffle things around and all his gear got stowed.

When it came time to re-equip him, it turned out he was actually a blonde woman. FeniX transcends all gender boundaries!
Korgeta
Padawan Learner

Post by Korgeta »

Yup just saw the demo, you can call the skyranger for a get out and pick up the guy/gal to get the hell out of there, now there's an even bigger beserker, watching it again to see if there's anything else included.

As for Muton's I actually stuck with laser rifles at that point as they were still OP, and most enemies HP weren't that high anyway but it gave a much better chance of being able to stun them on next go or KO them entirely with a combination of incendiary rounds to catch them over a wide area. The game really missed out on having an incendiary tank.

How people got promoted baffled me, as some didn't deserve it or did nothing, but all that matter to me was they had naturally good movement and reaction shots, as kills develop stats then those two in my eyes are quite essential. Well till you meet the ethereals then it all goes to hell.

Other then naming a few people after RE characters (almost self-fulfilling destiny by the time I met the chryssids!) I never named an avatar after me, mainly because I didn't want to see my name 'has died' screen.

Did name my first base Hellsing though, and yes 'Alucard' did get to go to Cydonia :twisted: