Witcher 3 [NO SPOILERS]

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

dragon
Sith Marauder

Witcher 3 [NO SPOILERS]

Post by dragon »

Well I picked up Witcher 3 and gotta say it's pretty good, granted there are a few bugs but nothing game breaking that I've seen yet.
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
TheHammer
Jedi Master

Re: Witcher 3

Post by TheHammer »

Can you keep up the Witcher tradition of banging every willing female in sight?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: Witcher 3 [NO SPOILERS]

Post by Thanas »

No.

Also, THE FIRST ONE TO POST AN UNSPOILERBOXED SPOILER IN HERE WILL GET BANNED.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

How badly does it waste your time by making you travel long distances between parts of a mission ?

Or any other boring part that seems to be there only to increase playing time ?
PREDATOR490
Jedi Council Member

Post by PREDATOR490 »

The game has fast travel between fixed points sort of like Fallout 3 but you have to discover them. If you do that it can cut down the travel time for missions heavily.

The game slows down really heavily for running around when you get to the urban environments like the city because you have to weave in and out of backstreets and it gets boring as fuck. At least in the wilderness you get some random encounters but the cities get annoying when your running from A to B with almost no fighting.

I am really enjoying the game - the sex has been massively cut back since the second game but still a few options exist. I find some of the gameplay mechanics to be a bit tedious but the tone and story have been rather impressive.
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

bilateralrope wrote:How badly does it waste your time by making you travel long distances between parts of a mission ?
Depends on the mission. Some are far away from fast travel points. Some are in hard to reach areas. Others can be completed in less than 2 minutes.
dragon
Sith Marauder

Re: Witcher 3

Post by dragon »

TheHammer wrote:Can you keep up the Witcher tradition of banging every willing female in sight?
Spoiler
There's a total of 12 women that you can sleep with and 6 of them are prostitutes
"There are very few problems that cannot be solved by the suitable application of photon torpedoes
salm
Rabid Monkey

Post by salm »

Do you still have to do the "mix the right potion for every fight or else you die" thing?
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Only once did I feel like I needed a potion in the second game and still could have managed, and my best friend beat it without ever using a single one, and he beat every bit and side quest of the game. The sword and armor upgrades were useful, but the potions were unnecessary. I'd actually welcome it if they are more important here, because they were supposed to be a very important part of being a Witcher in the books, and the whole reason for making mutant witchers in the first place at great attrition of children was supposed to be surviving them. But as it was unlimited super roll + magic power to stun opponents followed by stabbing them in the back was all you really needed.

People think this one is actually worth full price? I'm extremely reluctant to pay 60 dollars for a game anymore, but I'm not blanket ruling it out either.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

salm wrote:Do you still have to do the "mix the right potion for every fight or else you die" thing?
What I've been hearing is that you do at the higher difficulties, but don't at low difficulties.
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

salm wrote:Do you still have to do the "mix the right potion for every fight or else you die" thing?
Not every fight. W3 is free roam. Lv. 1 wolves are easy kills for a Lv. 20 witcher. Most fights are much easier if you mix the right potion/oil/mutagen.
Zixinus
Emperor's Hand

Post by Zixinus »

How are potion-use? Do you still need to be a developer and thus already know the game to use them properly, or can you now more reasonably expect when to use which one?

Also, what about the swordplay? Is parry still pointless (the logic of why blocking a blade costs endurance but dodge doesn't still eludes me) or can you now engage in more in-depth swordplay?
Credo!
Chat with me on Skype if you want to talk about writing, ideas or if you want a test-reader! PM for address.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Only once did I feel like I needed a potion in the second game and still could have managed, and my best friend beat it without ever using a single one, and he beat every bit and side quest of the game. The sword and armor upgrades were useful, but the potions were unnecessary. I'd actually welcome it if they are more important here, because they were supposed to be a very important part of being a Witcher in the books, and the whole reason for making mutant witchers in the first place at great attrition of children was supposed to be surviving them. But as it was unlimited super roll + magic power to stun opponents followed by stabbing them in the back was all you really needed.

People think this one is actually worth full price? I'm extremely reluctant to pay 60 dollars for a game anymore, but I'm not blanket ruling it out either.
CDPRojekt is one of the few developers who have never fucked their customers over and always fixed bugs no matter how long it took. And they even released whole expansions for free in the past. So if I had to support one publisher, it will be them. Also: No DRM shit if you buy directly from them at gog.com.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Fingolfin_Noldor
Emperor's Hand

Post by Fingolfin_Noldor »

You don't need potions to get through the game? I think early game they are still necessary, especially when the gear is weak. Then again, I'm rather conservative with point allocation generally.
STGOD: Byzantine Empire
Your spirit, diseased as it is, refuses to allow you to give up, no matter what threats you face... and whatever wreckage you leave behind you.
Kreia
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

Fingolfin_Noldor wrote:You don't need potions to get through the game?
Several quest can't be finished without potions. Bonuses stack. Getting +200% damage with alchemy isn't that hard.
Thunderfire
Jedi Master

Post by Thunderfire »

Finished the game. I got one of the better endings. Spoiler
Ciri was a Witcher at the end and Geralt lived a happily live with Jennefer.
Irbis
Jedi Council Member

Post by Irbis »

Sea Skimmer wrote:The sword and armor upgrades were useful, but the potions were unnecessary. I'd actually welcome it if they are more important here, because they were supposed to be a very important part of being a Witcher in the books, and the whole reason for making mutant witchers in the first place at great attrition of children was supposed to be surviving them.
Were they? I read all of Witcher books, including reboot, and only recall Geralt using them in maybe 2-3 short stories. In the book saga and reboot they were either dropped, used off screen, or so minor plot points you forgot they were used next page.

Ironically, what was notably absent from books were sword/armour upgrades (or even wearing armour at all). In fact, I felt prequel mocked both, although it might just have been author having cheap laugh at Geralt's expense.

And yes, I think the game is really worth it.
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

I new to the witcher series but I gotta admit, the game is pretty engaging just on mechanics alone.

You cant infinite dodge since dodging stop stamina regen, combat is very tactical now if going melee as facing n dmg dodge a bit like Dark Souls, oils arent... Essential at all, killed bosses like a werewolf without it but the game does prize preparedness. Got burned on the first contract though because no way of knowing how to fight the mob...

Its not a hack & slash so I heavily regret my current build into swords.. realised that investing into signs would have made me almost invincible by now even though i level 5. The game also seems to prize a potions upgrade, i seen how 'tough' n damage overpowering a green build can be.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner