Skyrim Questions

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Re: Skyrim Questions

Post by Vendetta »

TheFeniX wrote: from someone with 100 in energy weapons and a perception of 10. That was probably my most legitimately broken character of all time.
Bear in mind that you can, starting from Int 3, hit 100 in all skills and 10 in all stats by level 30 in Fallout 3.

It's actually quite hideous how easy it is to get skill points. (intensive training Int at level 2 or 3, then Comprehension, then scour the world for skill books and bobbleheads, that's basically 60 in every skill without spending leaving few enough required to get to 100 everything, then take Almost Perfect at 30 and then collect the stat bobbleheads for 10 in every stat).
PainRack
Emperor's Hand

Post by PainRack »

Lord Revan wrote:Due to various reason I started Skyrim again (I never got it done the first time I tried it), but I a few questions

First at what level would you recomend I'd start doing the thieves guild quests (I'm planning to play a sort of sneaky Almer char (with possibly a bit magical ability))?

Also should I do thieves guild before or after the Dawnguard quests?

Third should I do the Dragonborn DLC missions ASAP or can I wait until I'm done with the main story for that?
I don't want to spoiler the questline but the thieves guild has some combat elements,including a surprise sneak attack that might be difficult to handle for a low level pure sneak character .

and it might be fun to play as a vampire Lord thief :) never tried that before since I still haven't went deep into dawnguard or dragonborn....

And with my current graphics card burnt out..... Sigh.... Probably will restart a new char when I get it fixed ... Thinking either to retry my destruction mage or go Captain Skyrim .... Light armour, shield and illusion. With a heavy shield, I should be able to do decent damage against critters....god knows how I'm going to fight dragons though ..maybe conjuration.
Let him land on any Lyran world to taste firsthand the wrath of peace loving people thwarted by the myopic greed of a few miserly old farts- Katrina Steiner
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Vendetta wrote:Bear in mind that you can, starting from Int 3, hit 100 in all skills and 10 in all stats by level 30 in Fallout 3.

It's actually quite hideous how easy it is to get skill points. (intensive training Int at level 2 or 3, then Comprehension, then scour the world for skill books and bobbleheads, that's basically 60 in every skill without spending leaving few enough required to get to 100 everything, then take Almost Perfect at 30 and then collect the stat bobbleheads for 10 in every stat).
This character predates Broken Steel, so I had to go the other route: Getting Int 9, running straight to Rivet City for the Bobblehead, taking multiple Intense Trainings, and pumping up the skills I needed. Besides hilariously bugged shit like Glowing Ones she could murder-roll about anything on max difficulty at max ranges. Combined with Grim Reaper's Sprint... aaaaaaawwww yea.... Unfortunately, this made my level 30 perk selection worthless as the only other option is the joke one. I could have used to to push my STR to 9 (as it was 3, and the only one below 10) I didn't feel it was worth the trouble. I took something else.

You know, I think I have my old 360 memory card laying around. I should try to find it and pray to Vishnu I didn't delete the save.
PainRack wrote:I don't want to spoiler the questline but the thieves guild has some combat elements,including a surprise sneak attack that might be difficult to handle for a low level pure sneak character .
Spoiler
You mean like "Hey, go clear out some rats. Oh whoops, looks like the Rat King is here to fuck you up." The thieves guild questline was a huge letdown. You spend less time burgling and more time playing puppet for some daedra. Halfway through I was like "At least Karliah will make a good companion after this is all done (as she is a uniquely voiced character, rare in Skyrim).

Boy was I wrong.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

TheFeniX wrote:This character predates Broken Steel, so I had to go the other route: Getting Int 9, running straight to Rivet City for the Bobblehead, taking multiple Intense Trainings, and pumping up the skills I needed.
Even without Broken Steel you don't need much Int to max out skills as long as you're really thorough with the skill books. In fact I think you can do it starting from Int 2 as long as you get the bobblehead and at least one Intensive Training Int (so you can have Comprehension). (Since you can't have the all 10s in stats without Almost Perfect you don't need to hold off on it).

Int is your dump stat in Fallout 3 because it doesn't have any derived effects other than skill points, so as long as you can still get max skills you don't need it for anything else. (No wonder Fallout 3 is the short bus cousin of the Fallout franchise....)
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Vendetta wrote:Even without Broken Steel you don't need much Int to max out skills as long as you're really thorough with the skill books. In fact I think you can do it starting from Int 2 as long as you get the bobblehead and at least one Intensive Training Int (so you can have Comprehension). (Since you can't have the all 10s in stats without Almost Perfect you don't need to hold off on it).
I hated hunting down books and was honestly annoyed Beth went with a level up only increase in skills, as opposed to ES games. I really preferred the hybrid system of Wizardry... at least with 7. Even still, it is nice my character has weaknesses.... even if they are mostly irrelevant. There's always better builds, but without hunting down books, 10 INT with Educated is a ridiculously easy way to break the game when combined with multiple Intensive Trainings.
Int is your dump stat in Fallout 3 because it doesn't have any derived effects other than skill points, so as long as you can still get max skills you don't need it for anything else. (No wonder Fallout 3 is the short bus cousin of the Fallout franchise....)
Aw cmon, INT has it's uses, there has to be at least 3 INT checks in the game. I mean, there's almost always another stat check you can do instead and INT checks were always "state the mind-blowingly obvious," but.... you know.. stuff.

Anyway, Beth lost their shit when console development became their primary goal. Obviously Morrowind had major issues, but there are very few 3D games that pulled off that level of depth in an RPG. Fallout 3 is a tourist game. I really enjoyed it, but it's run by rule of cool ("Hey, let's build a city around an exploded nuke and let this random guy fuck with it.") much more so than Obsidian building a living world with New Vegas. My decision to purchase F4 on either launch day or a Steam sale will be completely dependent on if Beth tries to make it themselves.

I screwed the pooch with NV, thinking it was made by Beth. I ended up skipping anything on it until a Steam sale rolled around and realized Obsidian made it. Missed out on a game most definitely worth full-price.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

btw my horse died and I accidently saved over the slot I had made if that happend so can I rebuy the horse from the orginal stables or is it lost forever?(it was the cheapest one from Whiterun).
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I'm pretty sure you can buy infinite horses.

Or just walk because riding is more annoying because you have to get off to deal with every bullshit wolf that demands your attention.

(Or get Shadowmere)
GuppyShark
Sith Devotee

Post by GuppyShark »

Vendetta wrote:Or just walk because riding is more annoying because you have to get off to deal with every bullshit wolf that demands your attention.
You can attack from horseback now, so often I'd just keep riding and one-shot them as I gallop past.
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Vendetta wrote:(Or get Shadowmere)
Dawnguard and (I assume) Dragonborn add additional options. I know the Dawnguard spell works for travelling about, but I never actually tried using the feature added by Dragonborn to travel.
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Horses eventually respawn at the stable where you originally bought them. So you get to buy them all over again.

If you're short on cash then go chop some firewood, spending 10-15 minutes chopping can easily net you up to a thousand gold and unlike selling all your loot there's no limit to how much firewood they'll buy off you, and they pay full price regardless of your speech level.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

Imperial Battleship, halt the flow of time!

My weird shit NSFW
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

TheFeniX wrote:I hated hunting down books and was honestly annoyed Beth went with a level up only increase in skills, as opposed to ES games.
I'm not sure either system is entirely great, but I do prefer the ability to just buy the skills I want to use instead of having to make an infinite number of iron daggers so I can craft one good weapon at the end of it, for instance. The "increase skill with use" system sounds intuitively like it models the effects of practicing a thing to be better at it, but in reality it makes for some godawful grinding.
Aw cmon, INT has it's uses, there has to be at least 3 INT checks in the game. I mean, there's almost always another stat check you can do instead and INT checks were always "state the mind-blowingly obvious," but.... you know.. stuff.
Yeah, but they're in the Wasteland Survival Guide and the outcome for mostly INT responses is just more skills which you won't need if you have high Int anyway and is nowhere near as good as the one for the no-stats sarcastic response (which is +3% crit chance, which you can't otherwise boost in F3)

Ironically, I think given all the powergaming cheese I've done on Fallout 3, I think the level cap should probably be about 16 or so. That's about the last point that the game feels balanced. Higher level enemies just shit all over the weapon balance, with basically any automatic weapon that isn't a gatling laser becoming irrelevant due to their low per-shot damage and nonexistent crit rates.
Anyway, Beth lost their shit when console development became their primary goal. Obviously Morrowind had major issues, but there are very few 3D games that pulled off that level of depth in an RPG. Fallout 3 is a tourist game. I really enjoyed it, but it's run by rule of cool ("Hey, let's build a city around an exploded nuke and let this random guy fuck with it.") much more so than Obsidian building a living world with New Vegas. My decision to purchase F4 on either launch day or a Steam sale will be completely dependent on if Beth tries to make it themselves.
The design mentality of Morrowind is different. Morrowind simulates a world and then just leaves the player to it, whereas modern Bethesda games are essentially designed to validate player decision. Whichever direction you choose to walk in Skyrim there will always be quest content waiting for you that feels about appropriate for your level, so your decision to go there was always "right".

Morrowind just drops you in the world in your pants and doesn't even care if you go straight to the place where you can steal the best sword in the game at level 1.
TheFeniX
Sith Marauder

Post by TheFeniX »

Vendetta wrote:The design mentality of Morrowind is different. Morrowind simulates a world and then just leaves the player to it, whereas modern Bethesda games are essentially designed to validate player decision. Whichever direction you choose to walk in Skyrim there will always be quest content waiting for you that feels about appropriate for your level, so your decision to go there was always "right".

Morrowind just drops you in the world in your pants and doesn't even care if you go straight to the place where you can steal the best sword in the game at level 1.
That tends to be a much more PC mentality of RPG development as opposed to what has historically sold well on consoles. Dumping the player off into an alien world with little to no information on what needs to be done is a staple of many games.... none of which I can recall being released on consoles. That's not even completely true: both Shadowrun games for SNES and Genesis did, but that was 20 years ago and they were a rarity. Even still, as popular as real sandbox RPGs were on PC, they would have killed for the numbers other more simplified "RPGs" were getting.

And these types really just do not exist anymore since cross-platform development has become the focus of the industry. That consumer doesn't want a world to actually live and breath, they enjoy being awesome-mccool-guy and everyone treating them like the hero they are. I have to say, I don't mind it either, I just miss when games existed that didn't pander to how awesome I was.

It's pretty clear I like Final Fantasy, but that's because I don't mind being spoonfed a story at time while I run down a pre-set path. But there's just nothing out there today that even cracks the surface of what we also had in the 90s. Wizardry, Star Control, older ES games, Fallout, even shit like Gold Box games (depending). I don't think games in that vein could survive in this market on anything but name alone. Or, more realistically, even though they could make money off these games, the market also doesn't reward profits other than "I'm sleeping on a bed made of $1,000 bills" profits.
Arthur_Tuxedo
Sith Acolyte

Post by Arthur_Tuxedo »

To be fair, such games do still get made, they're just lesser-known indie titles like Geneforge and Age of Decadence. The hardcore market just isn't big enough to support AAA budgets like it was in the 90's when a "AAA" game could be made for a couple million bucks and be profitable at 100K units sold. And while we all love the idea of an open world that lets you explore at your own whimsy, 9 times out of 10 I'd rather just be taken for a scenic ride that ends before I get bored with it.
"I'm so fast that last night I turned off the light switch in my hotel room and was in bed before the room was dark." - Muhammad Ali

"Dating is not supposed to be easy. It's supposed to be a heart-pounding, stomach-wrenching, gut-churning exercise in pitting your fear of rejection and public humiliation against your desire to find a mate. Enjoy." - Darth Wong
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

from what I've seen (I don't have the game myself and not sure my PC could run it) Witcher 3 seems to be hybrid of the "go here do this" and "work it out yourself" methods with points of intrest and what not, marked on the the map but you're not told what or how hard they are until you get there.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

On the subject of Skyrim. I'm playing it on my Xbox because I'm poor and sick therefore can't afford a gaming pc anymore. I'm trying to do the companions Radiant quest but every time I start it with Varkas as soon as I leave the hall the game seems to glitch and it goes into the finished quest pile without letting me actually do the quest. Is there a fix for this or have I skunked away another 100 hours only for the game to break again?
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Which particular radiant quest? There are quite a few, some have fixes that work on 360, some don't.
So I stare wistfully at the Lightning for a couple of minutes. Two missiles, sharply raked razor-thin wings, a huge, pregnant belly full of fuel, and the two screamingly powerful engines that once rammed it from a cold start to a thousand miles per hour in under a minute. Life would be so much easier if our adverseries could be dealt with by supersonic death on wings - but alas, Human resources aren't so easily defeated.

My weird shit NSFW
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

(Missed the edit window)
If you've already cleared out a cave on some other quest and Farkas asks you to go and kill a bandit leader you've already killed then the quest objective will grey out.
One option that might work is to wait 30 days game time for the bandits to respawn.

My weird shit NSFW
Lord Pounder
Pretty Hate Machine

Post by Lord Pounder »

Sorry should have been more specific, this is the quest to cure lycanthropy. I have 3 witches heads and I agree to burn the head for him in the tomb but as soon as I exit the companions hall the quest seems to break.
RIP Yosemite Bear
Gone, Never Forgotten
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

Think I may have found it, this is a very useful site because at the bottom of each quest page there's a known bugs section.

From the Purity page there's a couple of possible bugs -

After completing "Purity" with either Farkas or Vilkas, if the Dragonborn immediately talks to the other one, sometimes the quest will show up in the completed quest section, and the altar in Ysgramor's Tomb will not be able to be activated.

This can be solved by loading a save state from before the first "Purity" mission was accepted, re-completing it, then doing another mission. Any mission should do, an "Animal Extermination"
mission from Aela does the job nicely. After doing another mission, talking to the second of the two brothers starts the mission the way it's supposed to and it can be completed.

If Vilkas's "Purity" quest is accepted before Farkas', the quest status may switch to "completed" even though it hasn't been completed. Also, Vilkas will not follow the Dragonborn to Ysgramor's Tomb.

This can be resolved by accepting and finishing Farkas' "Purity" quest first, being sure that the quest giver is following the whole way through.
A quick fix is to exit the conversation when the speech choices are "get up," "are you better," or "I have killed it," then spam "use" on the altar.

My weird shit NSFW
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

Also, becoming a Vampire Lord cures lycanthropy and prevents future infections.
Darth Nostril
Jedi Knight

Post by Darth Nostril »

That only works for your character, doesn't exactly help with the Companions de-Lycaning quests which is where Pounder is getting stuck.

My weird shit NSFW