Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Ted C
Sith Marauder

Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Post by Ted C »

I have been waiting for something like this for years. Please, don't be a let-down.

"This is supposed to be a happy occasion... Let's not bicker and argue about who killed who."
-- The King of Swamp Castle, Monty Python and the Holy Grail

"Nothing of consequence happened today. " -- Diary of King George III, July 4, 1776

"This is not bad; this is a conspiracy to remove happiness from existence. It seeks to wrap its hedgehog hand around the still beating heart of the personification of good and squeeze until it is stilled."
-- Chuck Sonnenburg on Voyager's "Elogium"
Sinewmire
Padawan Learner

Re: Battlefleet Gothic: Armada

Post by Sinewmire »

My first thought was "Oh look, another game that gets the scale of 40k all wrong"
Those windows are fucking massive, as 40k ships are kilometers long.

That said, it's very pretty, and yes, BFG was a game just waiting to happen!
"Our terror has to be indiscriminate, otherwise innocent people will cease to fear"
-Josef Stalin
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Sinewmire wrote:My first thought was "Oh look, another game that gets the scale of 40k all wrong"
Those windows are fucking massive, as 40k ships are kilometers long.
I'm going to be generous (and play Devil's Advocate, always fun) and say that those aren't normal-sized "windows" they're just sticking with the "Gothic Cathedral IN SPACE!" theme of the ships.

At any rate, please let this actually work.
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

The naming is rather odd, and it makes me wonder if we won't see a lawsuit or two.

Fantasy Flight Games just released Star Wars Armada. I wouldn't normally think much of that, "armada" being a rather basic word, but FFG is currently licensed to make 40K products in addition to their Star Wars line. Given the similar titling (Star Wars: Armada versus Battlefleet Gothic: Armada) but the games being very different, I wouldn't be surprised if some lawyers are scrambling around.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:The naming is rather odd, and it makes me wonder if we won't see a lawsuit or two.

Fantasy Flight Games just released Star Wars Armada. I wouldn't normally think much of that, "armada" being a rather basic word, but FFG is currently licensed to make 40K products in addition to their Star Wars line. Given the similar titling (Star Wars: Armada versus Battlefleet Gothic: Armada) but the games being very different, I wouldn't be surprised if some lawyers are scrambling around.
GW's use of the name "Battlefleet Gothic: Armada" predates FFG's game by over a decade.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

My concern here is that we've yet to see actual game play and I don't recognize either the developers or the Publisher so I can't say how good they are (unless Game's Workshop is the Publisher)
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
Grumman
Jedi Council Member

Post by Grumman »

This is only the developer's third game - the other two being Stellar Impact, a spaceship MOBA, and Etherium, a sci-fi RTS.

The publisher is also the publisher of the Blood Bowl games, which is not a point in their favour - their handling of expansion content has been downright abysmal.
Soontir C'boath
SG-14: Fuck the Medic!
Location: Queens, NYC I DON'T FUCKING CARE IF MANHATTEN IS CONSIDERED NYC!! I'M IN IT ASSHOLE!!!

Post by Soontir C'boath »

Brother-Captain Gaius wrote:The naming is rather odd, and it makes me wonder if we won't see a lawsuit or two.

There is already a Star Trek Armada game so if anyone has a bone to pick with in the video gaming front, it would be them. :P
I have almost reached the regrettable conclusion that the Negro's great stumbling block in his stride toward freedom is not the White Citizen's Counciler or the Ku Klux Klanner, but the white moderate, who is more devoted to "order" than to justice; who constantly says: "I agree with you in the goal you seek, but I cannot agree with your methods of direct action"; who paternalistically believes he can set the timetable for another man's freedom; who lives by a mythical concept of time and who constantly advises the Negro to wait for a "more convenient season."
Omeganian
Jedi Knight

Post by Omeganian »

Well, the beta is here. Seems tolerable.
Q: How are children made in the TNG era Federation?

A: With power couplings. To explain, you shut down the power to the lights, and then, in the darkness, you have the usual TOS era coupling.