Does anyone know of any cheap/free blu-ray software ?

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Does anyone know of any cheap/free blu-ray software ?

Post by bilateralrope »

I recently purchased a new computer with a blu-ray drive. Unfortunately it did not come with the software I need to play them*. I just spent the afternoon trying several different players, along with a lot of different attempts to get VLC playing them because there are a lot of different instructions on how to do it. None of which work.

I'm nearly at the point of giving in and buying the right software, however all I can find are $NZ150+ software suites or pages like this where the software is "Free to try" but there is no indication of how much it would cost if I wanted to buy it. So, does anyone know of cheap or free software that will play blu-rays on Windows 8 ?

All up it looks like the blu-ray DRM is very successful at making sure everyone wanting to play a legally purchased blu-ray has paid the patent holder(s).

*I will be contacting the computer store during the week to see if there is anything they can do.
Lone Browncoat
Youngling

Re: Does anyone know of any cheap/free blu-ray software ?

Post by Lone Browncoat »

Try:

Code: Select all

http://dvd43.com/
Though for entertainment, I stick with 32-bit OSs, even go back to an nLited XP Pro when building
a Home theatre PC so I can use the last released .exe version.

will PM with more info.
Old Fart, used to be Space Cowboy [see Battle Beyond the Stars,1980 for reference]
Now transplanted from Usenet re: alt.startrek.vs.starwars . & Übernerd
Lone Browncoat
Youngling

Post by Lone Browncoat »

Ack! no edit button!!

For 'honest' folks

http://www.majorgeeks.com/
is a good source for utilities.

PM me if you want the same geek info I gave the O.P.......
Old Fart, used to be Space Cowboy [see Battle Beyond the Stars,1980 for reference]
Lone Browncoat
Youngling

Post by Lone Browncoat »

Oh, since I was half-asleep this morning, I forgot to include for just players, rather than something to handle the CSS encryption,
VLC Player [& Portable version] and since I had some stuttering with VLC Portable, I installed KMPlayer, or just plain KMP on one
machine, both have codecs for DVD playback built-in but I never use them for that.
My capture cards {MDP-130} read the MPEG 2 file right off the DVD and upscale to the monitor resolution I set. That way I can use the remote control,
rather than memorise or print out the keyboard commands.

Both software players available at

http://www.majorgeeks.com  or  http://sourceforge.net/
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Lone Browncoat wrote:Try:

http://dvd43.com/
Though for entertainment, I stick with 32-bit OSs, even go back to an nLited XP Pro when building
a Home theatre PC so I can use the last released .exe version.
No mention of blu-rays, just DVDs. Does it work with blu-rays at all ?

Because one page I found says that getting DVDs playing is much eaiser than blu-rays.
will PM with more info.
If I was going to pirate anything, I'd just pirate the contents of my blu-rays as that is much simpler. But I refuse to pirate anything.

Oh and if you want to link people to something, link to that thing. Not a link to search results that will change over time.

As for using that pay VPN service you suggested, the one that doesn't list its price where it says that it "offers a lower price than the majority of file hosters while still offering more features and hosters.", why are they hiding their price ?

Plus I don't like the idea of paying one company just so I can pirate other stuff.
Lone Browncoat wrote:Ack! no edit button!!

For 'honest' folks

http://www.majorgeeks.com/
is a good source for utilities.

PM me if you want the same geek info I gave the O.P.......
I don't see blu-ray players there.
Lone Browncoat wrote:Oh, since I was half-asleep this morning, I forgot to include for just players, rather than something to handle the CSS encryption,
VLC Player [& Portable version] and since I had some stuttering with VLC Portable, I installed KMPlayer, or just plain KMP on one
machine, both have codecs for DVD playback built-in but I never use them for that.
My capture cards {MDP-130} read the MPEG 2 file right off the DVD and upscale to the monitor resolution I set. That way I can use the remote control,
rather than memorise or print out the keyboard commands.

Both software players available at

http://www.majorgeeks.com  or  http://sourceforge.net/
Does your setup work with blu-rays, or just DVDs ?

Interestingly the KMPlayer site makes no mention of DVDs, let alone blu-rays. The Sourceforge page just calls it a "QT/KDE frontend for the popular multimedia player for linux, Mplayer." This is why you need to be more specific with your links.

The fact that you mention your capture cards, hardware which I do not have, makes me wonder if your setup is even an option for me even if it worked.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

Wish I had seen this sooner

Here you go bilateralrope go to https://ninite.com/ download any players you want. The big ones are all there and the K-Lite codec by default should have everything you need for DVD/Blueray playback.

However you need to strip the BR encryption off something like AnyDVD can do that for you and do it for free. So be prepared to pay 30$ for third party software or twenty minutes of your time per Blue-ray.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Lone Browncoat
Youngling

Post by Lone Browncoat »

A) ^ what he said, but you can torrent cracked AnyDVD HD, I do this when I build for others, it removes encryption and region code on the fly,
without a subscription.

B) No, as I said in the PM, for my own collection, I just crack the CSS and run at 1280x1024, which is so close to 1080p that you can't tell
with the naked eye. I haven't needed blu-ray burn just yet, my next build will include a BD burner, which will be a gamer-level machine, but it will be used for Blender and other CGI software [but it will be a stiff learning curve, starting with meshes] because I'm not a gamer.
I haven't bought DVDs in ages, not since the 2009 Star Trek movie, and ST:Into Darkness, I downloaded the BD package [minus extras] -anyhow
and run 'em in KMP, that's what wireless keyboards are for, though I mainly just hit the space bar for stills.

C) No, the 130s are not manufactured any more.

D) "As for using that pay VPN service you suggested, the one that doesn't list its price where it says that it "offers a lower price than the majority of file hosters while still offering more features and hosters.", why are they hiding their price ?"
Its not hidden, but as I have a permanent tab open it won't let me into the non-members page but six months is 16 € which is less than 23 $ CDN.
You can go through R-Ds pages to look for the deal you want without have to close checkout, that way you can see the prices.

Though they are what is called a transloader, not a VPN, but as I mentioned there are tons eg.

http://hola.org/
You're probably going to get me banned {which will require changing hardware and I.P. address, like @sevenforums} for telling you so much outside of a PM. :wink:
google/yahoo and pick one you like, I'm an old fart and I learned most of this on my own with no help.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Mr Bean wrote:Wish I had seen this sooner

Here you go bilateralrope go to https://ninite.com/ download any players you want. The big ones are all there and the K-Lite codec by default should have everything you need for DVD/Blueray playback.
That site is going to be useful even if it doesn't help with my current problem. Thanks.
However you need to strip the BR encryption off something like AnyDVD can do that for you and do it for free. So be prepared to pay 30$ for third party software or twenty minutes of your time per Blue-ray.
That is the cheapest option I've seen so far. I'll give it a try when I have time then let you know how it went.

I also got an email back from the computer store that sold me the computer. They asked if there was an LG disc included (same brand as the blu-ray drive), so them not providing the right software might have been a mistake on their part. If so they should fix it by giving me the disc and my problem will be solved.

Lone Browncoat wrote:A) ^ what he said, but you can torrent cracked AnyDVD HD, I do this when I build for others, it removes encryption and region code on the fly,
without a subscription.
Still pushing pirated software I see.
B) No, as I said in the PM, for my own collection, I just crack the CSS and run at 1280x1024, which is so close to 1080p that you can't tell
with the naked eye.
A method that only works on DVDs is absolutely useless when the copy I have is on blu-ray. For reference, the blu-rays in question are from the Wakfu kickstarter, DVDs were never an option.

As for 1280x1024 upscaled from DVD resolutions being indistinguishable from stuff that is recorded at 1080p, I know that is not true for me. The highest a DVD can do is 480p. I can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on Youtube (I have a browser extension that automatically starts videos at 1080p if available).
I haven't bought DVDs in ages, not since the 2009 Star Trek movie, and ST:Into Darkness, I downloaded the BD package [minus extras] -anyhow
and run 'em in KMP, that's what wireless keyboards are for, though I mainly just hit the space bar for stills.
Why do you buy one product then pirate a different one ?
C) No, the 130s are not manufactured any more.
So you bringing them up was even more useless than I thought. Because, not only does it require hardware that I do not have, it requires hardware that I can't buy even if I wanted to.
You're probably going to get me banned {which will require changing hardware and I.P. address, like @sevenforums} for telling you so much outside of a PM. :wink:
google/yahoo and pick one you like, I'm an old fart and I learned most of this on my own with no help.
Then why did you bother with that second PM to me ?

At the point, I'm going to quote an PMs sent me in regards to this question and reply to them here. Partly because you have annoyed me with your constant pushing of piracy, partly because if I do get this solved, I'd prefer the solution to be in public so that this thread is helpful if someone with the same problem stumbles across it.

The only editing I'll do is to remove URLs if I think they are dangerous, or possibly in violation of board rules.

So lets start with your second PM.
Lone Browncoat wrote:If you go down the dark path...
you need to be real savvy with your anti-virus package and know how to identify the harmless and give them exemptions, and get rid of shit that will bugger up your machine.

Join me here:

URL removed
but they kind of chickened out and no longer give links to Windows OSs,
when they got kicked off of one server, but you can still learn.
You are suggesting going into a website that will trigger my anti-virus, to get pirated software that I have made clear is not an option I'm willing to take. Add in you saying "but they kind of chickened out and no longer give links to Windows OSs," and I see no reason to risk clicking your link.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

I strongly recommend buying AnyDVD HD. It is well worth the money. Also download BDInfo. What this does is scan the disk and reveals which playlist (mpls) contains the full movie. Open that mpls file in Media Player Classic Home Cinema. You're done.
Lone Browncoat
Youngling

Post by Lone Browncoat »

bilateralrope wrote: As for 1280x1024 upscaled from DVD resolutions being indistinguishable from stuff that is recorded at 1080p, I know that is not true for me. The highest a DVD can do is 480p. I can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p on Youtube (I have a browser extension that automatically starts videos at 1080p if available).
If you're that nervous and don't want to learn new skills, do what Tucker said and ignore me, please!

:banghead:

You don't understand the way tabletop vs. computer based works.

First off, on a conventional DVD player, you're passing the otherwise high resolution Mpeg 2 file through an RF modulator, whether your using the threaded antenna/cable connection or the RCA/BNC [or old S-video] whether it is PAL/SECAM or NTSC output, with that, there's no getting away with anything higher than 480p. However, with the right hardware [including a hardware Mpeg2 decoder] you can get around that limitation as an Mpeg 2 file contains much more information than you get outputting from a tabletop player.
The current ATSC 2.0 over-the-air broadcasts use Mpeg 2 and when you record on a PVR, you're basically making a copy of the broadcast signal, whether it is 720p or 1080p, but the resulting files are huge, approx 7-8gigs for a one hour show.
Blu-Ray [and the defeated HD disc] simply uses a narrower, hotter beam on a more densely packed medium [pits & rises] and gets around the RF restriction with a new connector series [DVI or HDMI]. Yet still uses RF modulation at a higher carrier frequency. Though on some TVs, I've had to add a VGA to component adapter cord due to lack of a jack panel.
Now if ATSC 3.0 ever gets implemented in N.A. that will throw a spanner/monkey wrench into the works because we'll all have to get new tuners or set-top boxes to compensate. Though by that time, with building multi-core systems [minimum quad] having hardware decoders may not be necessary.
More info @ my user group and the general board;

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-theater-computers/493691-myhd-mdp-130-a-315.html#post32654993 

You may wish to obtain the subscription based AnyDVD HD package, that's your prerogative.

This is my last word on the matter, for 15 years [or at least five, given that the 130s were developed in 2006] DMCA and DRM has not been a challenge for me.
YMMV.
Have a good day.
:mrgreen:
Lone Browncoat
Youngling

Post by Lone Browncoat »

bilateralrope wrote: You are suggesting going into a website that will trigger my anti-virus, .
Damn disappearing edit buttons.

Quoted out of context.
I was referring to alternative AnyDVD packages, not that group board, they're good people and just signing up to CP isn't going to hurt your precious machine....but enough.
Go get that subscription AnyDVD HD package, and ignore me, please!

:banghead:

:wtf:
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

AnyDVDHD works with VLC, except that I don't get to see the blu-ray menu. Annoying, but I can work with this.

I'll try other players and see if one of them shows the menu. If it does, I'll make another post saying so.

Lone Browncoat wrote:
bilateralrope wrote: You are suggesting going into a website that will trigger my anti-virus, .
Damn disappearing edit buttons.

Quoted out of context.
I was referring to alternative AnyDVD packages, not that group board, they're good people and just signing up to CP isn't going to hurt your precious machine....but enough.
Go get that subscription AnyDVD HD package, and ignore me, please!
I'd like an opinion from the other people in this thread: Did I read his PM wrong ?
Lone Browncoat
Youngling

Post by Lone Browncoat »

toolbar=> media=select BluRay BR related menus should follow.

KMP click on main screen, menu shows, Open=>scroll down to OpenDVD..same business.

Dalton knows me from the old newsgroup, he'll tell you I'm righteous !
Dalton
For Those About to Rock We Salute You

Post by Dalton »

Lone Browncoat wrote:Dalton knows me from the old newsgroup, he'll tell you I'm righteous !
Yeah, I can vouch for this old Space Cowboy. Just remember we're not keen on the less-than-legal stuff is all.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Lone Browncoat
Youngling

Post by Lone Browncoat »

Thank You, Rob!!!!

8)
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

Sorry - had to amend it a bit after you posted.
To Absent Friends
Dalton | Admin Smash | Knight of the Order of SDN

"y = mx + bro" - Surlethe
"You try THAT shit again, kid, and I will mod you. I will
mod you so hard, you'll wish I were Dalton." - Lagmonster

May the way of the Hero lead to the Triforce.
Lone Browncoat
Youngling

Post by Lone Browncoat »

{due to disappearing edit buttons}

I forgot to mention earlier (probably sleepy) that even Blu-Ray, for the most part uses MPEG2, some releases mix Mpeg 2 and Mpeg4,
extras, can use a mix of digital formats, from .avi [XviD, not Divx, like the Thunderbirds sets] or MP4 or .mkv, depending on space/cost
or vendor preference, tabletop units can play these formats.
Lone Browncoat
Youngling

Post by Lone Browncoat »

Dalton wrote:Sorry - had to amend it a bit after you posted.
A-O-K, this is the last I'll mention it, ever, unless some one asks what my favourite media converter is,
but if you search at majorgeeks [not a shill] there's a plethora of them there under utilities and multimedia.
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

Lone Browncoat wrote:toolbar=> media=select BluRay BR related menus should follow.
Ah yes, that works.
Lone Browncoat wrote:{due to disappearing edit buttons}

I forgot to mention earlier (probably sleepy) that even Blu-Ray, for the most part uses MPEG2, some releases mix Mpeg 2 and Mpeg4,
extras, can use a mix of digital formats, from .avi [XviD, not Divx, like the Thunderbirds sets] or MP4 or .mkv, depending on space/cost
The problem with blu-rays is not the file format. It's the AACS encryption.
Lone Browncoat
Youngling

Post by Lone Browncoat »

bilateralrope wrote:
The problem with blu-rays is not the file format. It's the AACS encryption.
You've got AnyDVD HD now, so your set, DVD Region Free does the same but ATM, I don't know if it is still under development.
JLTucker
BANNED

Post by JLTucker »

Lone Browncoat wrote:{due to disappearing edit buttons}

Is that still the case? Most if not all current BD releases use AVC or VC-1, if I remember correctly.
Lone Browncoat
Youngling

Post by Lone Browncoat »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blu-ray_Disc
(more or less accurate)
Scroll down to container format, but because of the greater storage, can hold a mix.
Mpeg 2 is old but it's gold. It uses a transport stream, much like the ATSC 2.0 I described earlier.

"MPEG-2 was used by many studios (including Paramount Pictures, which initially used the VC-1 format for HD DVD releases) for the first series of Blu-ray Discs, which were launched throughout 2006.[138] Modern releases are now often encoded in either MPEG-4 AVC or VC-1, allowing film studios to place all content on one disc, reducing costs and improving ease of use. Using these formats also frees a lot of space for storage of bonus content in HD (1080i/p), as opposed to the SD (480i/p) typically used for most titles. Some studios, such as Warner Bros., have released bonus content on discs encoded in a different format than the main feature title. For example, the Blu-ray Disc release of Superman Returns uses VC-1 for the feature film and MPEG-2 for some of its bonus content.[139] Today, Warner and other studios typically provide bonus content in the video format that matches the feature."
Just before audio.
Well, I was half-right, at least up to 2010, hey, I'm old, should look up [again] specs for ATSC 3.0 over at the AVScience forum. :D
Lone Browncoat
Youngling

Post by Lone Browncoat »

From the same WiKi:

"The first titles using BD+ were released in October 2007. Since November 2007, versions of BD+ protection have been circumvented by various versions of the AnyDVD HD program.[178][179] Other programs known to be capable of circumventing BD+ protection are DumpHD (versions 0.6 and above, along with some supporting software),[180] MakeMKV,[181] and two applications from DVDFab (Passkey and HD Decrypter[182])."

So the O.P. is still in a grey area, the author lives in a jurisdiction that Hollywood can't go, but in the same fashion, where it used to be a stand-alone with
upgrades, the author went [3 years ago] to a subscription mode, now I don't know what happens when the subscription runs out but in turn other coders seem to have gotten around that. It is an ongoing teeter-totter , one side develops a counter measure or new keys, the other revels in breaking such.
They want you to stick with tabletops that are only built for your market, and for the vast majority out there with their iWhatzits and Android thingamajigs that is mostly true.
:lol: