Star Wars Battlefront (Cinimatic) Trailer released

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Lagmonster
Master Control Program
Master Control Program

Re: Star Wars Battlefront (Cinimatic) Trailer released

Post by Lagmonster »

Coming back around to the idea of bots, I would pay just all of my money for a game that merged bot hordes with 64 player matchups. Something like, there are 32 people running around trying to shoot you, and also there are a hundred physically identical guys who appear to be following "go to objective, shoot anything that tries to stop you" scripts, with some means for players to give simple commands like "I need a gunner for my chopper" or "someone man that turret" to which the nearest non-occupied bot could oblige.

That would free up players who don't give a shit and just want to snipe from the spawn point, or who just want to carpet bomb the entire world, or who can't be bothered to care about objectives because they're trying to unlock an achievement for knife kills, to do whatever they want while the match plays out before them.
Purple
Sith Acolyte
Location: In a purple cube orbiting this planet. Hijacking satellites for an internet connection.

Post by Purple »

Now that is a good idea.
It has become clear to me in the previous days that any attempts at reconciliation and explanation with the community here has failed. I have tried my best. I really have. I pored my heart out trying. But it was all for nothing.

You win. There, I have said it.

Now there is only one thing left to do. Let us see if I can sum up the strength needed to end things once and for all.
Mr Bean
Lord of Irony

Post by Mr Bean »

That sounds a lot like the Titanfall idea of common soldiers except expanded on by a factory of three. The idea of creeps from League of Legends and the like, helping you out but not the main focus and not a challenge to the serious player characters.

"A cult is a religion with no political power." -Tom Wolfe
Pardon me for sounding like a dick, but I'm playing the tiniest violin in the world right now-Dalton
Cykeisme
Jedi Council Member

Post by Cykeisme »

Actually, a game mode using Titanfall as a template would be excellent for this game, when they get around to doing the Clone Wars (as paid DLC no doubt, which is file).

Waves of clones and battle droids duking it out while the players play as Force users, bounty hunters, ARC commandos, and the like.
"..history has shown the best defense against heavy cavalry are pikemen, so aircraft should mount lances on their noses and fly in tight squares to fend off bombers". - RedImperator

"ha ha, raping puppies is FUN!" - Johonebesus

"It would just be Unicron with pew pew instead of nom nom". - Vendetta, explaining his justified disinterest in the idea of the movie Allspark affecting the Death Star
Adam Reynolds
Jedi Council Member

Post by Adam Reynolds »

The E3 trailers have been updated.
The main two I saw were multiplayer on Hoth and CoOp on Tatooine.

While it is little suprise there is such a massive focus on the OT era, they are rather limited in that if they want Force user heroes, they are left with Luke vs Vader on literally every map. And unlike the original Battlefront, which actually featured the ESB model for Luke on Hoth, this is ROTJ black robes Luke everywhere. Though that could be added later, probably as even further DLC that adds different uniforms for Luke on each planet.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

I wonder if that desert planet we saw in the co-op trailer is Jakku or what it was called from Force Unleashed.
I may be an idiot, but I'm a tolerated idiot
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
Oh wait, that's marijuana..."Einhander Sn0m4n
RogueIce
_______

Post by RogueIce »

So given SW's "include everything!" canon policy, are we meant to believe Luke and Vader dueled on Hoth?
"How can I wait unknowing?
This is the price of war,
We rise with noble intentions,
And we risk all that is pure..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, Forever (Rome: Total War)

"On and on, through the years,
The war continues on..." - Angela & Jeff van Dyck, We Are All One (Medieval 2: Total War)
"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear." - Ambrose Redmoon
"You either die a hero, or you live long enough to see yourself become the villain." - Harvey Dent, The Dark Knight
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Post by The Romulan Republic »

If so, we can just ignore it on the grounds of blatant contradiction of the films.

My approach is that they can say whatever they want in terms of official canon policy, but if there's a contradiction that renders something effectively impossible, then its stupid to try to insist both versions are accurate and the older work takes precedence while the later one should be ignored.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I think I read somewhere that the explicitly 'unique to multiplayer' bits- namely Luke/Vader -aren't canon. I think.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

I'm inclined to be very skeptical of pretty much anything EA puts out, and it's not a done deal yet, but... if those trailers are even remotely accurate regarding the final product, I'm pretty goddamn fuckin' happy. It would have been too easy to mire the game in Ep7 tie-in content that's rammed down your throat, too easy to get the distinctive Star Wars sound editing wrong (I even heard a few Wilhelm screams), and too easy to shoe-horn in yet more second-rate blaster play (I liked the original Battlefronts, but the blasters and lasers never really quite felt 100%. And don't get me started on Jedi Outcast/Academy). Sound, visuals, aesthetic... all look solid enough that I can forgive the gamey jet-boosts and deployable shields and such.

I spied some good-looking blasters in the footage as well. I just hope they go for a moderately technical approach a la Battlefield with regards to unlocks and doodads and blaster variety, rather than the usual standard of BLASTER PISTOL. It has WEAK PEW. BLASTER RIFLE. It has BETTER PEW. I'm really crossing my fingers that I can choose to equip a DH-17 blaster with the augmented blast compression chamber I unlocked.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

This game does look pretty fucking cool. At the very least the sound and visuals are pretty well done. And I like that the ground combat also includes fighters and orbital bombardment and such.

Also, it looks like its not the battle of Hoth in the first video Adamskywalker007 posted, despite what one might think. Luke is using a green lightsaber.
OmegaChief
Jedi Knight

Post by OmegaChief »

Lord Revan wrote:I wonder if that desert planet we saw in the co-op trailer is Jakku or what it was called from Force Unleashed.
It's a star wars game, it's going to be Tatooine
This odyssey, this, exodus. Do we journey toward the promised land, or into the valley of the kings? Three decades ago I envisioned a new future for our species, and now that we are on the brink of realizing my dream, I feel only solitude, and regret. Has my entire life's work been a fool's crusade? Have I led my people into this desert, only to die?
-Admiral Aken Bosch, Supreme Commander of the Neo-Terran Front, NTF Iceni, 2367
The Romulan Republic
Emperor's Hand

Actually, its already been said that the Battle of Jakku will be in the game.

starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Battle_of_Jakku

Of course, that doesn't mean Tatooine won't also be in the game.
Executor32
Jedi Council Member
Location: In a Georgia courtroom, watching a spectacle unfold

Post by Executor32 »

I think it is Jakku, notice how during the post-win sequence a Star Destroyer is slowly crashing into the planet at what looks to be the same angle as the one seen in the second TFA teaser.
どうして?お前が夜に自身お触れるから。
Long ago in a distant land, I, Aku, the shape-shifting Master of Darkness, unleashed an unspeakable evil,
but a foolish samurai warrior wielding a magic sword stepped forth to oppose me. Before the final blow
was struck, I tore open a portal in time and flung him into the future, where my evil is law! Now, the fool
seeks to return to the past, and undo the future that is Aku...
-Aku, Master of Masters, Deliverer of Darkness, Shogun of Sorrow
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Can you pick up weapons/ammo from the dead in this game?
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Elfdart wrote:Can you pick up weapons/ammo from the dead in this game?
if the first 2 you could pick up ammo/health from the enemies, weapons were class locked though
"I think you completely missed the point of sigs. They're supposed to be completely homegrown in the fertile hydroponics lab of your mind, dried in your closet, rolled, and smoked...
bilateralrope
Sith Acolyte

Post by bilateralrope »

One person who played it at E3 said that the blasters don't use ammo. Instead they overheat if you keep firing them for too long.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Those trailers look fucking beautiful.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Elfdart
The Anti-Shep

Post by Elfdart »

Lord Revan wrote:
if the first 2 you could pick up ammo/health from the enemies, weapons were class locked though
I ask because the trailer showing the battle on Endor has some Rebel troops using the same blasters as the stormtroopers.
Lord Revan
Emperor's Hand

Post by Lord Revan »

Elfdart wrote:
Lord Revan wrote:
I ask because the trailer showing the battle on Endor has some Rebel troops using the same blasters as the stormtroopers.
I'm pretty sure the rebellion era "trooper" units both used the E-11 just to reduce the number of models the team had to make.
Brother-Captain Gaius
Emperor's Hand

Post by Brother-Captain Gaius »

Yeah, that was just a pre-rendered demo sequence anyway, and not really indicative of anything in the final game.

The actual in-game Hoth trailer clearly shows A280/A295 blaster rifles for the Rebel troopers, among others.
Agitated asshole | (Ex)40K Nut | Metalhead
The vision never dies; life's a never-ending wheel
1337 posts as of 16:34 GMT-7 June 2nd, 2003

"'He or she' is an agenderphobic microaggression, Sharon. You are a bigot." ― Randy Marsh