World of Warships

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Stormin
Jedi Knight

Re: World of Warships

Post by Stormin »

I found Okhotnik to be an insanely fun trollboat, but you will really want 14pt captain at least for AFT to be able to shoot to 11km.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Stormin wrote: 2018-01-01 05:19pm I found Okhotnik to be an insanely fun trollboat, but you will really want 14pt captain at least for AFT to be able to shoot to 11km.
I haven't played my Gremy in AGES so I only have a 10-pointer still. I could spec the captain that came with the ship with AFT, but from first look at the spec I already know I'll be playing a hybrid build. 5.7 detection and the ability to put 12 fish in the water at a time makes it just too tempting not to go full alpha-strike troll.

With 10 second base reload the DPM and volume of fire for working as a standoff-range gunboat doesn't make sense to me... I have the Lolanta if I want a small ship with too many guns.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Decided to splurge on another 10 midsize crates:

- 15 Wyvern
- De Grasse
- 1000 Gold
- 15 Hydra
- 15 Wyvern
- 15 Ouroboros
- 1000 Gold
- Hood
- 1000 Gold
- 15 Frosty Fir Camo

Not complaining AT ALL :D.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

So 100 games with the +200% modifier got me 5 mil captain XP and 1.2 mil free xp. I like it. Highlight was this game right here

Yeah, 70k commander XP and 22k free xp was a nice reward. :)

The only problem is what I am going to do with all the freeXP...got 6mil saved up now.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Went 5 big boxes.
Got Alabama, Atlanta, some Dragon Flags, Mutsu and some camo.

Not bad. First time playing in ages: Alabama's amazing though.
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Post by Alyrium Denryle »

Thanas wrote: 2018-01-02 02:19am So 100 games with the +200% modifier got me 5 mil captain XP and 1.2 mil free xp. I like it. Highlight was this game right here

Yeah, 70k commander XP and 22k free xp was a nice reward. :)

The only problem is what I am going to do with all the freeXP...got 6mil saved up now.
Thanas, are you playing on the Russian server, or just using the game to practice your Russian? Just curious because all your notifications are written in Cyrillic.
GALE Force Biological Agent/
BOTM/Great Dolphin Conspiracy/
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Factio republicanum delenda est
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The maker of the video is using a russian client. I only have accounts with T10 on EU, NA is T6 and RU hasn't started yet.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Thanas wrote: 2018-01-03 06:26am The maker of the video is using a russian client. I only have accounts with T10 on EU, NA is T6 and RU hasn't started yet.
Aaaah! Now the world makes sense.
Entomology and Evolutionary Biology Subdirector:SD.net Dept. of Biological Sciences

There is Grandeur in the View of Life; it fills me with a Deep Wonder, and Intense Cynicism.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Alyrium Denryle wrote: 2018-01-03 03:09pm
Thanas wrote: 2018-01-03 06:26am The maker of the video is using a russian client. I only have accounts with T10 on EU, NA is T6 and RU hasn't started yet.
Didn't know you were interested in WoWs, AD.
------------
------------
My LPs
Alyrium Denryle
Minister of Sin

Thanas wrote: 2018-01-03 03:50pm
I might have a certain fondness for British cruisers, IJN destroyers, and German battleships.

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Thanas wrote: 2018-01-03 03:50pm

He's posts shit on his FB page about it all the time man :v

I mean so do I
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Team... really..?

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

So just for fun I thought I would start a list of the T10 ships and what I think of them.

So here is the big list of T10 warboats, listed by their power. BBs and Cvs only for now.

CVs:

1. Midway.
Midway used to be too strong, so they removed her second torp bomber squadron. It still was able to dominate the fighter war due to its practically unlimited reserves and plane squadron sizes. Now they gave her the second torp bomber squadron back....and added AP bombs. Bombs that can wipe out any ship in one strike if you don't have defAA. Then you remember she still has the fighters....and you get a package that is gamebreaking. Midway is so OP that I refuse to play her. Even retards can win against an average haku simply by left-clicking.

2. Hakuryu
How the mighty have fallen. The Haku was a ship that rewarded skill and precision. You needed to be able to remember AA auras, airspeed, ammo reserves etc. If you were able to time your drops right you could carry games very hard. You are still able to do that but with the Midway being so OP you are having a much better experience and impact in Midway. A decent midway can easily outcarry a good Haku but the other way around hardly happens now.

BBs:

1. Montana
Used to be the second strongest. Then they buffed it by making it much harder for her to be citadelled. What do you get when you give a ship the best AA, best accuracy and best shell behaviour and couple that with excellent armor? That's right, a ship that is broken. There is a reason this ship is the top pick in clanwars and comps - basically American lowbobs kept whining about her being underpowered and now she is overbuffed. The bobs are still whining of course, so expect her to get German level secondaries any minute.

2. Mongqueror
What a shitshow of a ship. It does one thing - shoot HE. It also has better concealment than all of the cruisers at T10 except for two. Let that sink in. Oh and it has a monster heal that can repair half the HP total of the ship. A ship for mongoloids designed by mongoloids. Would be number 1 if the Montana would not just be that accurate. A mongqueror is damn near unkillable unless the captain makes a mistake. I hate this ship. I hate playing her and I hate playing against her. How the fuck did this ship get approved? Oh right WG wanted to make a noob line to reel in teeaboos.

3. Yamato
Yamato has been powercrept a bit but she still gets the lolpen guns. She is a lot harder to play now though with all the flanking ships.

4. Kurfürst
How the mighty have fallen. This ship used to be the strongest of the BBs IMO. Then WG buffed the montana so that it is really hard to fight them in GK now. Then WG introduced the conqueror (which kills 1/3 of your secondaries with one salvo). Then they introduced deepwater torps that are designed to stop people from pushing (aka what a GK needs to be successful). Then they introduced AP bombs which hit German BBs the hardest of all BBs. In short, you are now driving the largest XP and dmg pinata in the game. While the camping meta forces you to snipe with the worst BB accuracy at T10. Have fun.

Cruisers and DDs later on.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

:lol:

Considering I'm about 100k short of the Nelson I was never going to get the Missouri on time. With all the buffs they put on the Musashi right before launch I'm not particularly fazed...

If you're interested, IChase's guide to dispersion has a direct comparison of Musashi and Yamato gun accuracy over a large number of salvos. The sigma difference is pretty pronounced, but I'm not sure that's going to make Scharnhorst players feel any better.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Protip: Ignore Ichase, notser, femmenenly and especially noskillforyou. NA community contributors are all really bad at this game.

With one exception and that is LittleWhiteMouse. Who btw also did this test.
https://i.imgur.com/0NK79Y8.gif

LWM is recommended highly by me. http://shipcomrade.com/news/377/and-you ... tless.html
------------
------------
My LPs
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Thanas, which video podcasts on WoWs would you recommend then?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

wautd wrote: 2018-02-05 10:26am Thanas, which video podcasts on WoWs would you recommend then?
Usually Flamu - despite not having the best personality - is putting out high quality gameplay. Stuntman also plays comp and has some good vids.
------------
------------
My LPs
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Thanas wrote: 2018-01-31 06:30pm Protip: Ignore Ichase, notser, femmenenly and especially noskillforyou. NA community contributors are all really bad at this game.

I managed to dump 4 torpedos as a Loyang on Notser(in a Missouri) without him realizing it. I was shocked, I don't consider myself that great of a player. Certainly my winrate doesn't reflected that I'm a good player.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

https://na.warships.today/player/1005803644/Notser

https://eu.warships.today/player/529871902/MBrandis

Just saying.

More to the point, I watch/listen to CCs as much to be entertained as to be educated, which is one reason is about Flamu and people like LemmingRush like the plague.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Nobody gives a damn about warships today as it has long ceased to track results properly and favours people who snipe at the back way too much. Use wows-numbers. Maybe also consider that he plays on NA, which is by far the easier server.

You should always compare recent results (like the last 60 days) to get a clue as to how good a player is now.

I am confident that my last 60 days are way better than Notsers. In fact..lets just check real quick.
Notser Rating of 1775 while playing an avg tier of 7.7.
Me. Rating of 1977 while playing an avg Tier of 9.2(= harder tiers)

Whoops. Does not look so good for dear Notser now, does it?

Or maybe lets compare records. I hold the #11 max XP game on the EU server. Notser....#52 on the easier server. What about max dmg? My max dmg game is 353k...in a Kurfürst, the weakest of all T10 BBs IMO. Notsers max dmg game is....250k...also in Kurfürst. Maybe we should compare comp games then? Oh wait, Notser does not play comp. Meanwhile my team just got 4th place EU-wide. But that is enough talking about the stats here. You can compare the gameplay videos I posted in this thread, they speak for themselves.

And even if that is not enough to convince you....consider the following:
- I did not make a video claiming a secondary build on cruisers is viable
- I did not make a whole video series claiming IFHE is good on everything despite math saying it really is not...then reconsider a year later...while keeping up the original videos.
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

See, I was trying to point out that if you boil down the value of something to arbitrary, sweeping qualifications of good/bad, you can easily draw whatever specious conclusion you want. Secondarily, that I value overall contribution to a community over toxic assholery justified by "gud stats".

Thanks for running with my point so hard Chariots of Fire started spontaneously playing in the background.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Venator wrote: 2018-02-05 07:31pm See, I was trying to point out that if you boil down the value of something to arbitrary, sweeping qualifications of good/bad, you can easily draw whatever specious conclusion you want. Secondarily, that I value overall contribution to a community over toxic assholery justified by "gud stats".
You got no point. By any reasonable metric Notser does not have a clue what he is talking about and he often makes dangerous suggestions that at best are a waste of time but most often harm player development. You may try to justify this lazy and dangerous behaviour as "entertaining" but I'd rather have an asshole speaking truth than somebody who spouts falsehoods while sounding nice.

Not that notser is not an assshole though what with him falsely accussing people of streamsniping and getting his fanboys to hound them via chat.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

So EU beat NA by 7:1 and then this happens. NA LUL.
------------
------------
My LPs