World of Warships

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Temjin
Jedi Council Member

Re: World of Warships

Post by Temjin »

Sea Skimmer wrote:Dive bombing remains completely useless on the lower tiers, and from what I see being talked about its just always amazingly bad. Really nice eye candy to what other people be surrounded by splashes and barely damaged by it though.
I would argue that dive bombers are not completely useless, just mostly useless.

If the enemy is about to win by capping, and the rest of your team just needs a bit longer to make it back in time, dive bombers are your best bet for resetting that cap to buy your team enough time.

They are good at setting enemies aflame as well, forcing them to use their repair kit. This might sound small, but if they are under fire and happen to be set on fire again, that damage adds up.

They remain completely useless for actually doing any direct damage themselves, however.
"A mind is like a parachute. It only works when it is open."
-Sir James Dewar

Life should have a soundtrack.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Dive bombers can also be used to chase off destroyers and light cruisers as neither really wants to have bombs dropped on them. It's uncommon, but a wing of dive bombers could prevent a torpedo run on a BB.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

So what's the deal with gaining ship experience if the ship is already maxed out and you've researched the next tier? I read that in World of Tanks you can take some of that XP and forward it to a higher tier but that doesn't seem to be the case here yet...
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

You can spend gold to convert elited ships' exp to free exp, however in WoT and WoWP you have the additional option of moving the experience to the crew instead. I do wish that they choose to add that in WoWS soon, since otherwise I won't really be playing my elited ships, even though I like them.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

It would be nice to use experience earned to help level your commander, but they already level much faster than their WoT counterparts and adding in extra experience gains would see loads of players with maxed out commanders with relatively little playtime.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Confirmed: South Carolina sucks balls. Gonna just play up my XP through the St Louis till I can grab a Wyoming. Jesus.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Elheru Aran wrote:Confirmed: South Carolina sucks balls. Gonna just play up my XP through the St Louis till I can grab a Wyoming. Jesus.
Yeah, I free exp'd up the the New York myself, but the Wyoming isn't nearly as bad a grind as the South Carolina even if it still doesn't feel like a proper battleship.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I think the thing that really ground my gears was the reload time. 30 seconds when you only have 4 guns? NOPE.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Elheru Aran wrote:I think the thing that really ground my gears was the reload time. 30 seconds when you only have 4 guns? NOPE.
The short range, slow speed, and lack of stealth was what killed it for me. A smart enemy could engage you with very little risk you'd ever get in range for a shot let alone actually hitting them.
Borgholio
Sith Acolyte

Post by Borgholio »

Yeah looking at the stats of the South Carolina, I think I'll stick with my St Louis cruiser. That thing has a brutal broadside.
You will be assimilated...bunghole!
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Yeah, S. Carolina sucks. Badly.

Wyoming though, that thing I love tooling around in. The extra turrets, slightly better speed, and MUCH better agility sell it for me.

'Course, you'd want it fully upgraded to get that. Especially once you start seeing carriers, since the stock hull really lacks in AA.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

I don't mind the SC too much now that I've figured it out... it does much better just quietly sailing along the rear lines and pot-shotting at ships in the distance. Kind of unexciting, and I probably shouldn't have wasted my money on it, but oh well. Wyoming will be a nice upgrade. St Louis is still happy times. I only have a Chikuma as far as Japanese ships go. Any comment on those? I had the most frustrating experience in my last game where there was a Myogi sitting in the distance sniping at me from past my range...
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I've only made it to tier 5 in the Japanese cruisers but...

Tenryu is the first cruiser to get torpedoes. That alone is a major change in play style, though playing DD will get you killed quick. You do however have decent guns for your tier, so I personally liked sniping with my guns and if a careless BB got in range, using torps on that.

Kuma plays more or less the same, being an upgrade on the Tenryu hull. She has more guns, and the things are very fast firing for a cruiser as well. You have to change up your torp play though, since it has a different mounting. On the plus side, you have a fighter if you have to deal with carriers.

Furutaka...is a complete departure. Your guns are very powerful for a cruiser, but the turn rate on the turrets and reload time (20 seconds) is absolutely anemic compared to the previous tiers of ships. On the up side, you get a better fighter and your armor isn't that bad. So long as you don't show your side to an equal tier cruiser or a BB anyway. Torp reload is just as bad as the guns though, and you only have three a side.

Can't speak on their BBs or Carriers yet though.
Vendetta
Emperor's Hand

Post by Vendetta »

I'm pretty sure I can piss further than the Kawachi shoots. The South Carolina was easy life compared to that useless junker.
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Temjin wrote: If the enemy is about to win by capping, and the rest of your team just needs a bit longer to make it back in time, dive bombers are your best bet for resetting that cap to buy your team enough time.
I would contend that this situation probably occurred precisely because the torpedo bombers you should have had didn't outright sink ships earlier in the battle! I mean okay that might be a use for dive bombers, but dive bombers don't always score even 1 hit in which case this doesn't work! Its that level of useless. Parking your carrier near the cap would have similar effectiveness. Carriers tend to be very poorly handled as ships. They really also ought to be better armed, but all secondary guns are comically impossibly bad in the game right now. How can they hit the water 100 yards from your own ship?

They are good at setting enemies aflame as well, forcing them to use their repair kit. This might sound small, but if they are under fire and happen to be set on fire again, that damage adds up.
That's paper theory at best. Fires only occur every several hits, and while dive bombers might average about 1 hit per mission they don't always get one. Also as far as I can tell the ships turning/movement have no real effect on dive bombing accuracy, which means a player has no reason to pay any attention to coming under attack by them, unlike torpedo planes when you want to turn into them and then pay close attention. This makes them just kind of lame in overall game play terms. They can't even force other players to react the way all but the worst torpedo plane commanders will.

One idea I've seen people floating as a way to make the more useful is to let people select an HE or AP bomb load before takeoff, the former with a high probability of fire/soft damage, the later having a chance at really damaging hits on capital ships, but with the level of arcade Wargaming is aiming at that probably wont happen.

Personally I think the dive bombers need to be like the navy field ones (didn't like the game but I think this part had merit) in which you can choose the release height of the bombs as the planes dive, balancing accuracy against vulnerability to flak and thus ability to do future damage.
Last edited by Sea Skimmer on 2015-07-28 09:50pm, edited 2 times in total.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Elheru Aran wrote:I don't mind the SC too much now that I've figured it out... it does much better just quietly sailing along the rear lines and pot-shotting at ships in the distance. Kind of unexciting, and I probably shouldn't have wasted my money on it, but oh well. Wyoming will be a nice upgrade. St Louis is still happy times. I only have a Chikuma as far as Japanese ships go. Any comment on those? I had the most frustrating experience in my last game where there was a Myogi sitting in the distance sniping at me from past my range...
The South Carolina is okay on the very smallest maps. On the larger early tier ones you can go 10 minutes without being able to get within range of anything, or just suicidally charging which will never go well, and still take 9.5 minutes. The game either needs more small maps or a rethink on just how short gun ranges are. Or both. Though I do imagine the map count will increase rapidly, they can't be hard to make!
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Simon_Jester
Emperor's Hand

Post by Simon_Jester »

I think they might go for HE/AP armed dive bombers, if only because they've already done that with naval gunfire, so their entire playerbase presumably has some concept of what the difference is.
This space dedicated to Vasily Arkhipov
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Simon_Jester wrote:I think they might go for HE/AP armed dive bombers, if only because they've already done that with naval gunfire, so their entire playerbase presumably has some concept of what the difference is.
WG has mentioned that they want to add in AP bombs for dive bombers a few times now, but the change has yet to be implemented or even really talked about in a detailed fashion.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

From buzz on the WoWS Reddit it sounds like they're going to introduce German ships pretty soon-- like sometime in August. Either Bismarck or Tirpitz will be a pay-ship, probably the Tirpitz since they're going to put deck-mounted torpedo launchers on it. Only one to a side, but it's an interesting move. The free version of Bismarck will likely turn out a little bit better with upgrades given how Wargaming's silly premium system works. It'll be something like tier... 8 or 9, with paper ships for the upper end levels. There may not be any carriers as Germany never had any. But hey, they threw the Montana in the game, they might throw a few of Germany's projected designs out there.

EDIT: Never mind, apparently the Germans did launch the Graf Zepplin (carrier) in 1938. Never operational during the war. Interesting.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Yeah, the WoWS site mentioned that you could see some German ships in games as they let super testers use them.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

Well now. That is interesting.

I hope it does happen. The German BB line is what I was really looking forward to. Getting it this soon would be very nice.
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

Some of the German ships are going to be very odd fits. Mainly because they had some many classes focused around commerce raiding and things like range, provision stores, and sea keeping don't seem to mean much in WoWS. I've seen tech trees that would have the Scharnhorst with her 11" guns as teir 7 Battleships, now of course they'd add in the 15" upgrade, but that would be a rough ride while you were stock.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

I wonder if their disuse of All-or-Nothing armor is going to have any real gameplay effect. IE, are their critical areas more vulnerable, while other sections slightly less so, compared to an all-or-nothing ship?
Presumably those endurance soft stats won't be reflected and simply just downtier the ships based on their paper stats.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

If they want to flesh out the German tier they might just take never-built ships like the L20alpha, the Ersatz Yorck etc. Bismarck as tier 9 and H-class as 10.

Could easily go:

1. Nassau
2. Von der Tann or Moltke
3.Kaiser or Moltke
4.König or Moltke or Seydlitz
5.Derfflinger
6.Baden
7. L20
8. Scharnhorst
9. Bismarck
10. H-class
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

The tree that's been floating around goes like this:

3: Helgoland or Nassau
4: Kaiser or Deustchland
5: Konig
6: Bayern
7: L-2