World of Warships

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Re: World of Warships

Post by Lonestar »

Thanas wrote:Heh, better play in ranked trollollololol.

All you get is the same retards over and over again who die their way to Rank 1.

Worse, with the team sizes being smaller you have less of a chance of those 44%ers getting lost in the mass.
Out of curiosity, if you get so fired up about players in World of Warships why do you keep playing it? Like, you get really hateful about it. You remind me of the guy who dies in the first two minutes and then cusses out his team.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

He's the guy who carries and gets 50%+ of his team's total damage. He's just pissed off how consistently he has to do it ;).

That said, the phrase "World of Tanks, the game that plays like a job" isn't wrong. We're all at least a little masochistic.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Venator wrote:Hey, I said better. Not good. I've had some genuinely awesome teamwork last season, and... genuinely not.

Also... how would you spec a Lolanta with a 15-point captain for Ranked? I'm torn between IFHE/AFT/CE for the four-pointers.
HEAP is probably pointless on 127mm guns. Do you know how the HEAP mechanics work?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Dominus Atheos wrote:HEAP is probably pointless on 127mm guns. Do you know how the HEAP mechanics work?
Do you? It is an awesome skill for the Atlanta because without it she cannot penetrate some BB superstructure.

Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Venator wrote:Hey, I said better. Not good. I've had some genuinely awesome teamwork last season, and... genuinely not.

Also... how would you spec a Lolanta with a 15-point captain for Ranked? I'm torn between IFHE/AFT/CE for the four-pointers.
There are IMO three viable builds for Atlanta in ranked, two for dealing damage and one for survival.

DAMAGE BUILD 1:
http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000001 ... 0010100015
If you get three points more put them in DE for those lovely, lovely fires.

DAMAGE BUILD 2:
Without IFHE (or if you think it is not worth the steep price) go this build:
http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0000001 ... 0000100015

SURVIVABILITY BUILD:
http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000001 ... 0000100115

Take one of the first if you think you will be getting smoked up or are able to dodge a lot, the last if you feel you need a bit more concealment.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Lonestar wrote:Out of curiosity, if you get so fired up about players in World of Warships why do you keep playing it? Like, you get really hateful about it.
I keep playing it because I enjoy 80% of the matches and because I am good at the game. I also enjoy it because my clan is top 5 Europe and we can do fun stuff like clanwars and tournaments.

The reason I get "hateful" is because I mostly play T10 these days. And when you get to T10 you should know some basics about the game. If not by actively reading about it then just by experience. And yet you still encounter things like:
- Yamato with spotter planes shooting max-range salvos at 35km
- DDS smoking up and going broadside in smoke while keeping firing all the guns only to give the enemy shima who just threw 20 torps into that smoke spot the match of his day
- cruisers who refuse to pop def. AA for nearby BBs
- USN DDs who don't take def. AA on their ships at high tiers
- ships going broadside to enemy BBS who have not shot yet
- T10 BBs shooting HE at broadside enemies
- ships who refuse to use camo because it costs too much.

Sometimes this behaviour helps you. For example I just oneshotted a full health Montana with my Kurfürst because he:
a) had no camo
b) was out of position
c) went broadside to me
d) at 4.5 km

BAMM. Instant 97k damage.

But you know what? I don't nearly enjoy that as much as a duel against a skilled opponent. For me, I like going up against the best. Sometimes I win, sometimes I lose. But at least I would know it is not because WG decided to gift me less retarded teammates that day.

And yet....

have you ever felt the frustration when you do 350k damage in a match and the team throws it because inexplicably two BBs, one a full health Yama, one an full health Iowa, go broadside in a Cyclone to the enemy FDG who is at half health?

And then you multiply that by several dozens of matches.....
and you then add to that the fact that those players just refuse to learn because you see them make the same mistakes over and over again....
and when you tell them you get a "STFU I play for fun noob" in return?

And then you look at results like this
where you did 80% of all the damage on the enemy ships....and you still could not win due to the aforementioned idiots....yeah you get salty real quick.

You remind me of the guy who dies in the first two minutes and then cusses out his team.
If I die in the first two minutes then I must have royally fucked up at which point I will just either apologize to my team or quietly go back to port.

This does not apply if my team is the reason for why I am dead, like that fucker in the gneisenau three days ago who pushed my belfast out of my own smoke and used me as his personal torpedo shield.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Or to put my frustrations into one simple image:

While I died fighting for the objective, five ships decided to do a retard kongoline into nowhere above C...while C was getting capped.

This kind of retard play is why I have little respect for about 80% of the people playing this game.
------------
------------
My LPs
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

They really need to do away with the capping objectives. It's more frustrating to play the game when no one is helping the team. I wish there is a button to sink any retreating/cowardly Battleships on my team.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Dominus Atheos
Sith Marauder

Post by Dominus Atheos »

Thanas wrote:
Dominus Atheos wrote:HEAP is probably pointless on 127mm guns. Do you know how the HEAP mechanics work?
Do you? It is an awesome skill for the Atlanta because without it she cannot penetrate some BB superstructure.
Which bbs? None of them have more then 19mm of superstructure armor, and 127mm guns can pen anything 20mm or less.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

ray245 wrote:They really need to do away with the capping objectives.
Oh dear god pls no.

No.

That would just cause everybody to snipe.

Dominus Atheos wrote:
Thanas wrote:
Which bbs? None of them have more then 19mm of superstructure armor, and 127mm guns can pen anything 20mm or less.
Nagato, colorado and Gneisenau all have 25mm bow and armored deck armor. Myoko has 25 as well.
------------
------------
My LPs
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Thanas wrote:
ray245 wrote:They really need to do away with the capping objectives.
Oh dear god pls no.

No.

That would just cause everybody to snipe.
The current objectives isn't exactly fun either. Lemmingtrains can easily ruin the game.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

In more positive news:

When you meet some players while playing solo who know what to do and coordinate with you in chat...
...and you combine that with the recent WG buff to US cruisers....
...the result can be amazing.

Replay here

I think the replay also illustrates rather well why I don't consider US cruisers to be underpowered if you know how to play them.
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Dominus Atheos wrote:
Thanas wrote:
Seriously, the difference is amazing. It's not just about the superstructure - per my post earlier, I stripped a full-health, bow-on New Mexico to nothing in under a minute - not shooting for the superstructure, just firing into his bow for shits & giggles.
Thanas wrote:

There are IMO three viable builds for Atlanta in ranked, two for dealing damage and one for survival.

DAMAGE BUILD 1:
http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000001 ... 0010100015
If you get three points more put them in DE for those lovely, lovely fires.

DAMAGE BUILD 2:
Without IFHE (or if you think it is not worth the steep price) go this build:
http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/0000001 ... 0000100015

SURVIVABILITY BUILD:
http://shipcomrade.com/captcalc/1000001 ... 0000100115

Take one of the first if you think you will be getting smoked up or are able to dodge a lot, the last if you feel you need a bit more concealment.
Thanks!

I'm curious why you have Incoming Fire Alert spec'd, rather than Preventative Maintenance. I figured PM was a gimme with how fragile Atlanta's guns are?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

On a cruiser always take incoming fire alert or priority target (or ideally both) over preventive maintenance. Because while losing a turret sucks but knowing how many people are aiming at you (or that you have a salvo incoming) is way more important. Priority target and incoming fire alert saves your life as it allows you to change course/speed in time.

Would you rather eat a citadel or lose a turret?
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

I use PT without fail. Previously I found IFA wasn't worth the addition, I'll give it a shot.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

I just encountered the worst player... ever.

https://na.warships.today/player/1015746759/VALVeisG0D

This person stayed at the J10 corner with a Montana for a whole game. Ends game with: 0 damage suffered.

Looking at stats, 96% survival rate in tier 10 warships.
Good grief. How does such a person... exist?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Venator wrote:I use PT without fail. Previously I found IFA wasn't worth the addition, I'll give it a shot.

I found it to be mandatory (and take it over PT) on British cruisers, as you sit in smoke and it notifies you when people spam shells into it (which would not be the case with PT as you are not targeted when sitting in smoke).

I like to take both on my long-range cruisers so that I know what to expect from where.

BTW, regarding IFHE on US DDS and Atlanta:
Most hull armor plates on heavy cruisers are 25mm. With HE, USN 5-inch guns (21mm pen) will shatter on them. With IFHE, that number becomes 27mm, allowing it to pen with every shell when once it couldn't pen at all.
I would not take it on DDs but it is very viable on Atlanta.

Nephtys wrote:I just encountered the worst player... ever.

https://na.warships.today/player/1015746759/VALVeisG0D

This person stayed at the J10 corner with a Montana for a whole game. Ends game with: 0 damage suffered.

Looking at stats, 96% survival rate in tier 10 warships.
Good grief. How does such a person... exist?
Eh he is far from the worst I have seen. At least he has a WR around 50%.

If you want to see truly bad, look at guys like this.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

BTW here are all my captain skill builds - they changed quite a bit to my earlier ones after a lot more testing:

Destroyers:

1. Shimakaze
An odd build but one that works surprisingly well. I am not all that happy with it, I would like to find one extra point to get me expert marksmen instead of Preventive Maintenance but thems the works sadly.

2. Gearing (also Sims captain)
For when I want to slap my big American Dick around. The Gearing is probably my favorite DD. She has the best torps, the best smoke (= best division DD) and a great rate of fire. If she had just a bit better arcs she would be OP.

3. Leningrad and Gremyachi
Only 16 points so far, last 3 points will probably go towards BFT or DE (haven't decided which, more testing required).

4. Khabarovsk
MOAR DAKKA, MOAR SPEED. She plays completely unlike any other DD, which is why I love her (and her completely illogical gamebreaking gun performance).

5. Z-52 = Gearing spec
Zhe German plays just like a worse version of the gearing (less DPM, worse torps etc.)....except that you get hydro. German hydro at T10. Which makes her quite the good DD hunter, especially if you got backup.

6. Blyskawica
Pure Gunboat.

7. Anshan = Gremmy = Leningrad
8. Lo Yang = Gearing
Not much to say here, all of those are carbon copies of other ships.

9. Akizuki
The only DD I take IFHE on.

Cruisers:

1. Zao = Atago
Not much to say here, except that the PT and IFA perks are awesome at longer ranges.

2. Des Moines
Moar AA, moar CV tears, moar close combat fighting. :)

3. Moskva
Most accurate ship in the game. Da, comrade, is balans.

4. Hindenburg (also Prinz Eugen build)
AKA the "shred planes and fire AP all day" build. This allows you to take Hydro. Hydro is love, Hydro is life.

5. Belfast
This build was originally for ranked only to take advantage of short distances and torp spotting. But I love it so much that I will take it into random as well. Because with Vigilance on Belfast you can escape any torps - even when hydro is down. Yes, IFHE is nice, but vigilance saves you more pain.

6. Minotaur
G'day Mate. Mind if I rain some shells on you from my smokescreen?

7. Kutuzov
The only cruiser I currently take IFHE on.

8. Indianapolis
Dont play her. Just dont. She sucks.

9. Atlanta

10. Flint = Atlanta, just switch BFT for superintendent.

Battleships:

1. North Carolina (also Texas build)
This spec is for clanwars, to make CVs cry and to sit bow-on all day. It gives up an extra heal but then again most clanwars matches tend to be short.

2. Missouri (also Arizona build)
Pure tank.

3. Montana
Or how to be a good BB when you div up with a CV. 7.2km no fly zone made in the USA, yo.

4. Bismarck
Now with Adrenaline rush.

5. Tirpitz and Scharnhorst
Also with AR now, but a bit more of an allrounder build.

6. Großer Kurfürst
Same as before. I wish I could get AR on it but I would need an extra point. (WG 20 point when?)

7. Warspite
A build to take advantage of her great DC and repair party.

8. Dunkerque = Missouri build

9. Yamato
Because this is the perfect medium between having enough tank and too much tank. :)

Carriers

1. Midway (=Saipan build)
Not much to see here. The new CV skills are all useless and proof that WG does not play CV at all. However, Concealment expert on a CV is very, very nice. You can use this build for every US CV in the game.

2. IJN CVs up to and including Shokaku (also Hiryu in ranked) = Midway build

3. Taiho and Hakuryu
Because Manual AA will save your ass when DF is on cooldown and you want to become an air fortress. Also your concealment is already pretty good, no need to buff it. I have not died a single time to an enemy CV when using this build. One can also try the midway build but I like the better AA.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Some guy hosted one of my replays again:

------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote:https://www.twitch.tv/videos/124925193?t=03h14m48s

When you get noticed in stream :)
What is it they stay about "work until you don't have to introduce yourself"?

GGWP
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I was hugely pissed off at this Benson that decided to get so close to the Bismarck, that he was hit by my torps at 7km that I was aiming at the Bismarck.

I have no idea why he was so close to the BB. It was during a cyclone too.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I am guessing he was getting close because he was doing a suicide torp run.

In any case whenever you torp a friendly it is 100% your fault.
------------
------------
My LPs
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

I remember when the new team damage system was released, I was marked a team killer when a secondary battery shell missed and detonated a friendly DD.

It was not a good time.

Glad they fixed that though.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I once got pink when a friendly DD on low health rammed me. :(
------------
------------
My LPs