World of Warships

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: World of Warships

Post by Thanas »

wautd wrote:Does IFHE makes sense on a Cleveland? Or is the armor piercing of its HE shells too low it's a waste of skillpoints and should you go demolition expert all the way?
Yes it does make sense. A lot.

BTW, still take demo expert to offset the loss of fire chance.
How about IFHE on a Pensacola captain? Great because of it's bigger gerns or still AP all the way?
No. The reason you want IFHE on 150-156mm only is because with it, they are able to penetrate the superstructure of BBs, thus getting full HE pen damage. 203mm already can do that so there is no benefit to IFHE.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Thanas wrote: Yes, I have her. Yes, I have a dedicated Missouri captain. No, I did not pay a single cent for her as I had freeXP saved up.

You really ground out 750k free XP? I mean, you didn't do conversions from spare regular XP floating around on premium ships at all?

I have about 30 New Years 300% free XP camos, I guess I should start using them to farm the stuff.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Reyvan
Youngling

Post by Reyvan »

I finally worked through New Mexico to the Colorado, and I'm a bit disappointed so far, though I've only played a few games with it. One of the things I really liked about the New Mexico was how far forward the rear turrets could turn, allowing me to easily broadside enemies without actually showing my broadside. It feels like with the Colorado the turrets don't have that range of motion, though I think they do rotate as fast as the ship can turn, which is a definite plus, just not enough to offset their smaller arc.

On the other hand I'm also working my way up the German BBs and am loving the Konig so far. I was also a pretty big fan of the Kaiser and Nassau. I'm maybe four good games away from the Bayern now.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Lonestar wrote:
Thanas wrote: Yes, I have her. Yes, I have a dedicated Missouri captain. No, I did not pay a single cent for her as I had freeXP saved up.

You really ground out 750k free XP?
Yep. I use the weekend win boni just for FreeXP farming, always have. With using papa papa flags (had about 400 saved up from ranked seasons and missions) and using premium ships/T10 premium camo I get around 1500-2000 freexP per normal game (around 80-150k damage) on x2 weekends and 2000-3000 freeXP per game on x3 weekends/events.

Soo.....yeah, took me about three and a half months to grind out that amount.

EDIT:
I have about 30 New Years 300% free XP camos, I guess I should start using them to farm the stuff.
Those camos are shit because freeXp is calculated from the total amount of normal XP you got. So if you got some 100% camos lying around or some T7-10 premiums (or premium camos on them) then using papa papa flags on them is more lucrative.

However if you just have the camos then yeah by all means use them.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Reyvan
Youngling

Post by Reyvan »

Well, so far I'm loving the Bayern.

The Colorado is also starting to grow on me, though I think I still prefer the New Mexico.
Also just unlocked the Farragut but haven't given it a try yet
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

The Farragut as a lovely, lovely ship. Had some very memorable games in it, but my best game to date (7 kills) remains in the Nicholas.
Reyvan
Youngling

Post by Reyvan »

I got a Kraken Unleashed in the Nicholas the other day, but after that I seemed to keep ending up in Tier 7 games which made it a bit hard to replicate that.
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Tier 5's a bad place right now. Real bad.

Tier 4s get suckerpunched by Nikolais
Tier 5s get facewrecked by Scharnhorsts and Belfasts.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Nephtys wrote:Tier 5's a bad place right now. Real bad.

Tier 4s get suckerpunched by Nikolais
Tier 5s get facewrecked by Scharnhorsts and Belfasts.
TFW I get 80% Tier 9 games in the Atlanta...

TBH I don't find the Nikolai that daunting (WASD hacks to avoid the laser-guided shells at long range, secondaries are shit up close), but then I'm pretty sure I qualify as a seal clubber when playing tier 4-5 boats. It's stupid resilient to the aim of most tier 4-5 players.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Had a pretty nice game today too bad the team blew it.

EDIT: Replay back up
https://wowreplays.com/Replay/28600

------------
------------
My LPs
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

So, I got a Tirpitz(I know, I know). The best thing with higher tier German BBs is the manual secondaries.

The problem is, at that level no one seems to be willing to push aggressively, with the end result being if you push aggressively the best you can hope for is maybe one DD trying to cap the same place as you, and of course everyone is going to target you because you're a good 6-8km closer to the other side of the map than the rest of your teams BBs(and some CAs).

This game really punishes aggressive play.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Lonestar wrote:So, I got a Tirpitz(I know, I know). The best thing with higher tier German BBs is the manual secondaries.
Not on the Tirpitz though.
The problem is, at that level no one seems to be willing to push aggressively, with the end result being if you push aggressively the best you can hope for is maybe one DD trying to cap the same place as you, and of course everyone is going to target you because you're a good 6-8km closer to the other side of the map than the rest of your teams BBs(and some CAs).

It does. The hardest thing for a BB driver is to figure out the difference between "aggressively pushing" and "yolo".
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Lonestar wrote:So, I got a Tirpitz(I know, I know). The best thing with higher tier German BBs is the manual secondaries.

Thanas says the manual secondaries aren't as worth it due to the short range, and he's probably right, but the combination of maxed secondaries (run flags and upgrades) and the torps are too much fun for me to give up. I've barely played since the latest skill reshuffle though, so we'll see.

Some of mine best games have resulted from drumming up morale, making borderline-suicidal pushes and suckering everyone else into supporting very aggressively.

Also some of my worst where I end up soloing an entire flank because all my support gave up without warning and/or died of terminal stupid.

YMMV.
Reyvan
Youngling

Post by Reyvan »

I was so close to getting a Kraken Unleashed in this battle, all it would have taken was one more shell hitting my target in one of my volleys.
I was really lucky in the first half of the match, getting a citadel on an Omaha and sinking it with a throwaway shot. Then I got a lucky citadel on one of the ARP battleships, and sunk it with the help of someones torpedoes, and took out another cruiser that showed its broadside, then raced back to our base as the other flank had folded. Got a lucky hit on one of the cruisers in our cap, and then brought a Leander down to 1000 health before it hid behind an island. The rest of the team sank, and I sailed around our cap alone for about 5 minutes, trading fire with the Leander, a Mahan, and a New Mexico until time expired with me down to just 3k. I kept trying to hit that Leander, but he kept hiding in smoke and I would only get a glance of him before he'd go behind another island.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Got a supercontainer today, I was very excited until it turned out to be 10mil silver.

anyway I had a fun little match with the Bly the other day. The Minekaze and me must have spent 10+ minutes exchanging fire with each other before he finally tagged me with a torp.

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The Minekaze and me must have spent 10+ minutes exchanging fire with each other before he finally tagged me with a torp.

How many ships were behind him?
------------
------------
My LPs
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

I think that at the game it was only me, a BB on my side, and he had a Fuso with him.
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Lonestar wrote:Image
Ah, the wall of torpedoes.

....yeah, every time I see this game's grind, especially for non-premium players, I'm reminded why I'm not going to come back to it. :P
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Lonestar wrote:I think that at the game it was only me, a BB on my side, and he had a Fuso with him.
Then next time, just go bow in and kill him. He isn't quicker than you and you got the gun advantage. If you keep an angle of around 15% you can shoot with most guns and just DPS him down. Easy win. :)

Steve wrote:....yeah, every time I see this game's grind, especially for non-premium players, I'm reminded why I'm not going to come back to it.
You can get to T10 in less than 200 battles. For example, with the German DDs I did it in 184 battles from T2-T10, with an avg winrate of around 70%. Without premium it would have taken me around 400 battles I imagine.
------------
------------
My LPs
Steve
Emperor's Hand

Post by Steve »

Yes, and I'd be non-premium, and I admit I don't enjoy the game that much to go through such a grind. Unfortunately, since I have had fun on it before...
”A Radical is a man with both feet planted firmly in the air.” – Franklin Delano Roosevelt

"No folly is more costly than the folly of intolerant idealism." - Sir Winston L. S. Churchill, Princips Britannia

American Conservatism is about the exercise of personal responsibility without state interference in the lives of the citizenry..... unless, of course, it involves using the bludgeon of state power to suppress things Conservatives do not like.

DONALD J. TRUMP IS A SEDITIOUS TRAITOR AND MUST BE IMPEACHED
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Well, it's ranked season time. I never played ranked before and I'm at 18 or thereabouts now.

I have noticed that teams seem a lot more cohesive in ranked play.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Lonestar wrote:Well, it's ranked season time. I never played ranked before and I'm at 18 or thereabouts now.

I have noticed that teams seem a lot more cohesive in ranked play.
Yeah, you (more often) get better team play out of Ranked.

It could be because the season ends March 23, and I fly to Japan for a month on the 28th, but I'm honestly not planning on playing this time around.

Maybe a game here and there to burn through the first few ranks, get the stacks of signals and commemorative flag, but after the emotional rollercoaster of season 5... meh.

Could be that I only have the Yorck, Atlanta, and four Myokos (thanks, anime!) to choose from, and I'm having a hell of a time speccing my Atlanta captain satisfactorily.

Stripping the entirety of a bow-on New Mexico's HP with IFHE in short order was revelatory, though.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Heh, better play in ranked trollollololol.

All you get is the same retards over and over again who die their way to Rank 1.

Worse, with the team sizes being smaller you have less of a chance of those 44%ers getting lost in the mass.
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Hey, I said better. Not good. I've had some genuinely awesome teamwork last season, and... genuinely not.

Also... how would you spec a Lolanta with a 15-point captain for Ranked? I'm torn between IFHE/AFT/CE for the four-pointers.