World of Warships

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Venator
Jedi Knight

Re: World of Warships

Post by Venator »

Shoot me that email Thanas? Back at home now.

Also, apparently the Tirpitz really, really needed 10.6 km secondaries? O_o
Oh WG, never change... (plz actually do change, your premium balance is hilariously bad sometimes).

Decided I'm going to try the French CLs/CAs and get the Minekaze up to lady Akizuki since I haven't played for a long time. Don't want to by That Guy who jumps straight back in to high tiers and has no idea how to boat, lol2ndary Tirpitz build or not...
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

My new handle (after the servers reboot) on the WG games is GruntyGinMan. Hit me up if anyone is interested.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Venator wrote:Shoot me that email Thanas? Back at home now.

Sent you the referral link via PM. :)
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote:
Venator wrote:Shoot me that email Thanas? Back at home now.

Sent you the referral link via PM. :)
Much obliged!
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Venator wrote:
Oh WG, never change... (plz actually do change, your premium balance is hilariously bad sometimes).
So now its a Bismarck with torps? Or is the Bis still the better ship for secondary build?
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

wautd wrote:
Venator wrote:
So now its a Bismarck with torps? Or is the Bis still the better ship for secondary build?
Bismarck has one more secondary mount because WG, but otherwise identical - the key difference is that the Bismarck still has Hydroacoustic, which the Tirpitz doesn't. So the TIrpitz will remain a brawling god, just with hilariously overeffective secondary batteries for that hairy 6-10km zone outside torpedo range but at point-blank range for main batteries. The Bismarck will probably remain preferred in Ranked and competitive play because of HS.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Venator wrote:
wautd wrote:
Venator wrote:
Bismarck has one more secondary mount because WG, but otherwise identical - the key difference is that the Bismarck still has Hydroacoustic, which the Tirpitz doesn't. So the TIrpitz will remain a brawling god, just with hilariously overeffective secondary batteries for that hairy 6-10km zone outside torpedo range but at point-blank range for main batteries. The Bismarck will probably remain preferred in Ranked and competitive play because of HS.

Tirpitz with secondary build is completely OP now. It is the undisputed king below 10km and can even beat a kurfürst there now due to torps. Bismarck got its hydro nerfed, it is now standard cruiser hydro instead of german cruiser hydro.

Which is why you see few bismarcks in comp play (my clan has not ran it at all for two months now).
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Was not aware of that nerf. That's... typically WG right now, unfortunately.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Well... I've finally bought the HMS Belfast. I got to visit it a few days ago during my trip to London and I just couldn't resist anymore.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

WTF is HMS Conqueror?
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

It is the weapon arrangement of the K2 design on a Lion-class hull. Frankenship.
------------
------------
My LPs
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Thanas wrote:It is the weapon arrangement of the K2 design on a Lion-class hull. Frankenship.
They could at the very least make the Lion 1944 design a tier 10 with 18-inch guns. It's better than this frankenship design.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

ray245 wrote:
Thanas wrote:It is the weapon arrangement of the K2 design on a Lion-class hull. Frankenship.
They could at the very least make the Lion 1944 design a tier 10 with 18-inch guns. It's better than this frankenship design.
This looks a lot like a larger version of the 1944 design though.
------------
------------
My LPs
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Thanas wrote:
ray245 wrote:
This looks a lot like a larger version of the 1944 design though.
I know. I just don't understand why the Lion design couldn't be adapted into a tier 10 design as opposed to a tier 9 design. What about the Vanguard? What tier is it suppose to belong to at this rate?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

T8 premium. Her guns are bad.
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

It seems like the trend for Tier X BBs to be a lot of hypothetical paper ships or frankenships. The Yamato remains Queen of the Seas as the only real BB at Tier X simply because the IJN were the only ones insane enough to actually build a ship with 9x18.1" guns and send her into action.

Reading between the lines of what they've teased so far of Conqueror, Nelson and Lion, and the fact that they are allegedly going to get radar of all things, it looks like they're going to try and balance that with very poor secondaries and AA, given that Conqueror has fewer secondaries than even the Montana and a total of 86x40mm AA guns... Montana has 80x40mm and 60x20mm and 20x127mm.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Venator wrote:It seems like the trend for Tier X BBs to be a lot of hypothetical paper ships or frankenships. The Yamato remains Queen of the Seas as the only real BB at Tier X simply because the IJN were the only ones insane enough to actually build a ship with 9x18.1" guns and send her into action.
This is pretty much it. Like with World of Warplanes, they have to have a top tier... but the problem is that the Yamato is simply so asymmetrical compared to the rest of the world's contemporary ships that they have to come up with stuff to match it, and that means digging into the napkinwaffen.
Reading between the lines of what they've teased so far of Conqueror, Nelson and Lion, and the fact that they are allegedly going to get radar of all things, it looks like they're going to try and balance that with very poor secondaries and AA, given that Conqueror has fewer secondaries than even the Montana and a total of 86x40mm AA guns... Montana has 80x40mm and 60x20mm and 20x127mm.
20x127mm? That's a lot of big AA guns ;) Surely you mean .50 or 12.7, of course. (though what an impact that would make if there were 20 AA guns at that kind of caliber... they'd basically qualify as full-on secondaries)
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

He means the double 5IN/38CAL turrets that US battleships and cruisers used as secondaries and AA.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Agent Fisher wrote:He means the double 5IN/38CAL turrets that US battleships and cruisers used as secondaries and AA.
^ that. The Atlanta has 16x 127mm "AA" guns, because her main battery are dual purpose. Same for any high-tier US DD, and for most crusiers and BBs that have ~5" guns as secondary rather than main battery.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Anyone been playing the new scenario?

First time out in the Graf Spee we won with three stars; I died relatively early but was still first on kills (4) and midpack on XP at the end.

Next two games were utter disasters, I tried the Gremyashchy and the Konig. The former I did rather poorly (went too far out, lost a bunch of HP, and was left relatively ineffective repairing), the latter my team were utterly hopeless and lost two ships by the time of the second wave.

Doing this mode without a CV, or with players too cheap to run full signal and prem consumables, is an exercise in agony.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The scenarios are so easy if you do it with your clan, we did not lose a single ship and completed it in the first try.

If you are playing solo however yeah you do need a cv that is good and not a bogue, Independence or zuiho. So the best thing to do is to start with one in division.
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote:The scenarios are so easy if you do it with your clan, we did not lose a single ship and completed it in the first try.

If you are playing solo however yeah you do need a cv that is good and not a bogue, Independence or zuiho. So the best thing to do is to start with one in division.
Yeah, I'm referring to playing solo PUGs. Playing as a clan, or just an organized team, is a totally different playing field. I actually went to the trouble of setting up my mic in the hopes of driving some coordination, but I'm the only person I've played with so far that actually used one. Pretty sure 95%+ of players don't even have voice comms enabled in settings.
Khaat
Jedi Master

Post by Khaat »

Probably completely out of my depth (*heh*), but I managed to d/l and play some this weekend on my poor old laptop. I was surprised it (the laptop) could keep up, and I really enjoyed the basic game controls, look, and operation. Spent a lot of time toggling in and out of binocular view, had a good feel for my first ship (Black Swan - picked it because I knew I would make mistakes and a little more durability appealed to me), and otherwise did fairly well for a few hours' game time. I think of the two dozen or so matches I played, my group (PUG) won all but 2, I was only sunk 2-3 times, and I scored pretty well in the pack for XP and kills.

It's the larger part of the game I'm sure to screw up: ship choices, research, and upgrades, etc. So as soon as I stepped up to a higher-Tier boat, I got my hat handed to me in the first match. Yes, I over-extended, yes, I lost sight of the mini-map in focusing in on the one enemy ships. So I earned that sunk/loss and didn't get enough time to play with the new ship's longer-ranged guns, get a feel for her maneuverability, or even really convince myself there wasn't something available I wasn't using (like those torpedoes...).

I am a massive cheap-skate have limited funds for entertainment.
Rule #1: Believe the autocrat. He means what he says.
Rule #2: Do not be taken in by small signs of normality.
Rule #3: Institutions will not save you.
Rule #4: Be outraged.
Rule #5: Don’t make compromises.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Khaat wrote:Probably completely out of my depth (*heh*), but I managed to d/l and play some this weekend on my poor old laptop. I was surprised it (the laptop) could keep up, and I really enjoyed the basic game controls, look, and operation. Spent a lot of time toggling in and out of binocular view, had a good feel for my first ship (Black Swan - picked it because I knew I would make mistakes and a little more durability appealed to me), and otherwise did fairly well for a few hours' game time. I think of the two dozen or so matches I played, my group (PUG) won all but 2, I was only sunk 2-3 times, and I scored pretty well in the pack for XP and kills.

It's the larger part of the game I'm sure to screw up: ship choices, research, and upgrades, etc. So as soon as I stepped up to a higher-Tier boat, I got my hat handed to me in the first match. Yes, I over-extended, yes, I lost sight of the mini-map in focusing in on the one enemy ships. So I earned that sunk/loss and didn't get enough time to play with the new ship's longer-ranged guns, get a feel for her maneuverability, or even really convince myself there wasn't something available I wasn't using (like those torpedoes...).

I am a massive cheap-skate have limited funds for entertainment.
Well, if you don't mind making a new account you can get at least some of the things for free....
------------
------------
My LPs