World of Warships

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Re: World of Warships

Post by Lonestar »

This season has been incredibly frustrating for some reason. I'm more or less stuck at rank 16. There are a lot of people who simply are playing it like a random match, either going off on their own or stopping at the edge of a cap instead of, well, capping. Leaving people who do go onto the cap swinging in the wind
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

It is the natural consequence of rank taking place at low levels, you get a lot more noobs. Plus given how the "top performer" does not lose a star it encourages selfish play instead of teamplay.

IMO ranked should be T9 or T10 it would fix a lot of problems.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

One would hope that once you get a little higher up in the rankings the absolute glue sniffing potatoes have been culled. That seems to be what I have seen, even not terribly high up.

Is there any way to get data on how the population is doing in ranked? It would be very interesting to see how fast people move up, and also to see how fast the "top" players are being boiled off at rank 1. I assume that most people stop playing ranked once they reach rank 1, thus leaving a diminished pool over time, although what proportion is not clear.
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

I got fed up and quit Ranked for a few days after doing this purgatory of 17-16-17-16-17 due to completely hopeless teams (and one early game deletion-by-torpedo I should have avoided, admittedly).

Yesterday I had three games in a row that went so well that I was able to gunboat... in my Fubuki. So starting at 15, finally, and hoping to get up to 12 tonight... we'll see.

I currently have the Cleveland, Fubuki and Graf Spee to choose from. I'm too cheap to re-buy and re-train the ships I've ground past (Nurnburg, Fuso and Farragut), but I'm burning XP camo and flags to get the Konig up so I can run the Bayern as well.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote:It is the natural consequence of rank taking place at low levels, you get a lot more noobs. Plus given how the "top performer" does not lose a star it encourages selfish play instead of teamplay.

IMO ranked should be T9 or T10 it would fix a lot of problems.
Missed the edit window - one the one hand, don't kid yourself, they wouldn't sell premium ships that way. The number of "I should buy a Warspite" messages in chat I've seen has been very telling.

On the other side, WoT recently introduced Ranked and it's tier 10 only; it's almost entirely populated by top-flight players, BUT the predatory star (chevron)-hogging behaviour is even worse, for the same reason. It's also being called cost-prohibitive (but then the economy in WoT is way more punishing than WoWS).
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Team plz. Y u do this.

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

lol

I should tell you about my 1900 base xp losses (with the next highest on the team having 750).
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote: 2017-07-15 08:40pm lol

I should tell you about my 1900 base xp losses (with the next highest on the team having 750).
Jesus. And honestly, yeah, I've had worse too.

This one was just particularly galling because (1) it was my first game in the Emerald in a couple months, and (2) my team gave away the game after what was supposed to be my winning play - I killed 2 BBs including the Texas from full health, emptying a cap circle and putting us ahead for the first time that game. And so my team, of course, isolate themselves and drive around broadside on, firing the wrong ammunition.

I did, however, run three High Caliber games in a row in Ranked, which was fun.

That last one was a doozy.
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

I have concluded that playing Ranked at the weekend (on EU) is a waste of time. I played 7 games, and won the first two 7-0, then lost the next 5 1-7. There is literally no way you can do better than a 50% win rate if you're going to have half your team die in the first ~3 minutes and the win is entirely determined by the proportion of morons the MM assigns to each side.

I was getting a steady march of progress playing in the evenings during the week, where player quality seems so much higher, and it is so miserable to drop ranks just by the random allocation of potatoes rather than having decent coordinated teamplay and just being outplayed.

Also interesting to see Flamu's video of how to play the Cleveland in Ranked, where he sits stationary behind an island on Strait and lobs HE at everything, which is what I did in that exact position until I got deleted three matches in a row (by different players) despite never having been spotted in the entire match. It seems that unlike on the NA server, the EU players are capable of using spotter planes and firing on where the shells are coming from.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Steel wrote: 2017-07-16 02:33pm
Also interesting to see Flamu's video of how to play the Cleveland in Ranked, where he sits stationary behind an island on Strait and lobs HE at everything, which is what I did in that exact position until I got deleted three matches in a row (by different players) despite never having been spotted in the entire match. It seems that unlike on the NA server, the EU players are capable of using spotter planes and firing on where the shells are coming from.
Power to them. Despite the number of Dreadnought and Flameproof medals I've farmed off them, those Cleveland players are the bane of every Ranked game I play.
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Got back into the game after a long hiatus.

German ships are rather fun. Quick, and I really love the fast traverse and reload. Dresden and Kolberg in particular. They're a bit light, but then the St Louis makes -everything- else in its class look light.

Putzed about a bit with the Russians and British ships. Haven't gotten very far with either of those. Think I'll focus on the German ships for awhile.

Although holy god can you ever farm points with the V-25 if you get a good game...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

So thanks to the rare x3 weekend on EU and me obsessively hoarding special signal flags and battle-hardened camos on EU I managed to score 2.1 million elite commander exp and 650k free xp over three evenings in 60 games. Effective :)

Now I got 2.3 million freeXP saved up....hope they release a new missouri-like ship soon.
------------
------------
My LPs
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

How in gods name do you get 35k commander XP per game?!? without the 3x, that is still 12k per game.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Steel wrote: 2017-07-18 09:18am How in gods name do you get 35k commander XP per game?!? without the 3x, that is still 12k per game.

By saving up the battle-heardened camos and the special flags as well as playing well enough to maintain an 80% winrate while doing more than 110k dmg on avg on that particular weekend. I mean I have been pulling 30k commander xp with only a 1.5 modifier before and without using special flags (except for Dragon).

Here are the modifiers for one game:

Modifiers:
Battlehardened camo = +100% XP, + 250% commander XP
Equal speed charlie london = +50% XP
PapaPapa flag= +300% FreeXP
Ourobouros SPECIAL flag= +777% freeXP
Red Dragon SPECIAL flag= +100% XP +100 commanderXP
Dragon SPECIAL flag= +333% commanderXP
HYDRA Special flag= +50% XP, +250%freeXP + 150% commander XP

= +300% XP, + 1327% freeXP + 833% commander XP
and to that comes the x3 weekend bonus.

With all of those this 2548 basexp turns into 16369 free xp and 54770 commander XP
1= 6.42 = 21.501
------------
------------
My LPs
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

Graduated to the G-101. For some reason it's not as fun as the V-25. Probably because it's bigger, so it gets spotted sooner. V-25 was like driving a speedboat. 101... more like a regular ship. Still faster than a cruiser though. I need to practice switching back and forth from my torpedoes to my guns, though.

Why doesn't Kolberg have torpedoes? Ugh.
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Because wargaming does not model hull-mounted torps except for one ship.
------------
------------
My LPs
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Thanas wrote: 2017-07-18 01:11pm
Steel wrote: 2017-07-18 09:18am How in gods name do you get 35k commander XP per game?!? without the 3x, that is still 12k per game.

By saving up the battle-heardened camos and the special flags as well as playing well enough to maintain an 80% winrate while doing more than 110k dmg on avg on that particular weekend. I mean I have been pulling 30k commander xp with only a 1.5 modifier before and without using special flags (except for Dragon).

Here are the modifiers for one game:

Modifiers:
Battlehardened camo = +100% XP, + 250% commander XP
Equal speed charlie london = +50% XP
PapaPapa flag= +300% FreeXP
Ourobouros SPECIAL flag= +777% freeXP
Red Dragon SPECIAL flag= +100% XP +100 commanderXP
Dragon SPECIAL flag= +333% commanderXP
HYDRA Special flag= +50% XP, +250%freeXP + 150% commander XP

= +300% XP, + 1327% freeXP + 833% commander XP
and to that comes the x3 weekend bonus.

With all of those this 2548 basexp turns into 16369 free xp and 54770 commander XP
1= 6.42 = 21.501
Wow, that is quite an amazing number of things stacked together.

I notice that my friend and others who have been playing the game a while are just swimming in flags. It seems that thanks to the nerfing of both the drop rates for supercontainers, and supercontainers containing crappy upgrades rather than 300 flags means newer players are much shorter on flags.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Or it might mean players save flags and select the flag container drops.

I mean that is what I am doing to prevent me paying for flags (especially since WGEU has decided not to sell single flag packages).
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote: 2017-07-18 02:08pm Because wargaming does not model hull-mounted torps except for one ship.
That being the Mutsu, correct? Would be nice if they expanded their availability.

Thought for the day;

"On a scale from 'desperately stealthily clutch-capping in a New Mexico' to 'aggressively gunboating in a Fubuki', how's your ranked game going?"
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Thanas wrote: 2017-07-18 08:31pm Or it might mean players save flags and select the flag container drops.

I mean that is what I am doing to prevent me paying for flags (especially since WGEU has decided not to sell single flag packages).
I've gotten about 6 supercontainers since they changed the contents, and I have just received crap modules (and 50k free xp).

I only select the flags option on containers and I don't have very many. The first few ranks gave a shedload, but that is about it.

Each container gives about 8 flags, so thats 16-24 flags a day from 2-3 containers (getting 37k xp or whatever it is for the 3rd container takes a lot of games without a zillion flags stacked), and then inevitably half the flags will be useless shite like -20% flooding time (as if 80% flooding time doesn't kill you from full hp anyway?!?).
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Venator wrote: 2017-07-18 09:48pm
Thanas wrote: 2017-07-18 02:08pm Because wargaming does not model hull-mounted torps except for one ship.
That being the Mutsu, correct? Would be nice if they expanded their availability.
Nah, they are stupid. You have to go full broadside noob to shoot them, thus you get wrecked (because slow BB = long time broadside) and they only do about 6k dmg per torpedo.
Thought for the day;

"On a scale from 'desperately stealthily clutch-capping in a New Mexico' to 'aggressively gunboating in a Fubuki', how's your ranked game going?"
80% winrate, have only lost one star so far. But I just don't like the gameplay...ugh.

Steel wrote: 2017-07-19 04:43am
I've gotten about 6 supercontainers since they changed the contents, and I have just received crap modules (and 50k free xp).

I only select the flags option on containers and I don't have very many. The first few ranks gave a shedload, but that is about it.

Each container gives about 8 flags, so thats 16-24 flags a day from 2-3 containers (getting 37k xp or whatever it is for the 3rd container takes a lot of games without a zillion flags stacked), and then inevitably half the flags will be useless shite like -20% flooding time (as if 80% flooding time doesn't kill you from full hp anyway?!?).
It is easily doable to get like 40 or 50 flags a day just by fulfilling the achievements associated with them. Play three or four BB games and you are almost certain to get the dreadnought achivement or the fireproof one, a good game always results in either confederate or high caliber....yeah. Doable.
------------
------------
My LPs
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Thanas wrote: 2017-07-19 05:50am
Venator wrote: 2017-07-18 09:48pm
Nah, they are stupid. You have to go full broadside noob to shoot them, thus you get wrecked (because slow BB = long time broadside) and they only do about 6k dmg per torpedo.
Ah but they do have a trolltastic ability. I managed to sneak up on a low health Mutsu in a cruiser, thinking I was going to be able to blast it with loads of time to spare before his turrets could turn around from facing 180 degrees away, when suddenly out of nowhere some torps appear and blow me up.

And that was the moment I learned that there was one ship in the entire game with invisible torpedoes stored in the hull. :roll:
Thought for the day;

80% winrate, have only lost one star so far. But I just don't like the gameplay...ugh.
What type of ship have you been using? It seems that winning the DD fight accounts for 80% of wins, with balance of yolo/coward BBs accounting for the last 20%, with cruisers being essentially marginal unless they constitute most of the teams.

The major cruiser contribution seems to be to kill the enemy DDs, which seems to be way more effective on win rate than doing 80k damage to BBs hiding behind an island. Unfortunately DD hunting seems to reward much less xp.
Steel wrote: 2017-07-19 04:43am

It is easily doable to get like 40 or 50 flags a day just by fulfilling the achievements associated with them. Play three or four BB games and you are almost certain to get the dreadnought achivement or the fireproof one, a good game always results in either confederate or high caliber....yeah. Doable.
True, but the +50% XP flag is behind Kraken, and the +300% free XP flag is behind Solo Warrior, and both of these require your team (and the enemy team) to be retarded to get them (and/or extreme luck).
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Thanas wrote: 2017-07-17 05:54am So thanks to the rare x3 weekend on EU and me obsessively hoarding special signal flags and battle-hardened camos on EU I managed to score 2.1 million elite commander exp and 650k free xp over three evenings in 60 games. Effective :)
I do believe the SO would leave me if I played that much over three evenings lol.

Got into the Elliot School at GWU so in a month or so my video gamin' time is going to be even less.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Steel wrote: 2017-07-19 09:25am

Ah but they do have a trolltastic ability. I managed to sneak up on a low health Mutsu in a cruiser, thinking I was going to be able to blast it with loads of time to spare before his turrets could turn around from facing 180 degrees away, when suddenly out of nowhere some torps appear and blow me up.

And that was the moment I learned that there was one ship in the entire game with invisible torpedoes stored in the hull. :roll:

While it was still a ST-only Vehicle, I ran up to one in my Kutuszov and got torped in that same way.

Really it's something you can only do once before people learn how to approach it.
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Lonestar wrote: 2017-07-19 02:33pm
Steel wrote: 2017-07-19 09:25am

While it was still a ST-only Vehicle, I ran up to one in my Kutuszov and got torped in that same way.

Really it's something you can only do once before people learn how to approach it.
Well, god help anyone who gets caught out twice.

But I mean come on, as if there weren't enough special ship features to remember, putting the invisible torpedoes on a battleship. The one time you think you're safe.