World of Warships

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Venator
Jedi Knight

Re: World of Warships

Post by Venator »

So apparently there was an issue with chat and the platoon/division system... I didn't notice anything, but I got 3 days of Premium Time and a bunch of credit boosters, so not complaining.

My first container of the weekend also turned out to be 1000 gold, extra special not complaining.

The Nelson is topped to be a tier 7 a la the Missouri, unlocked with 375,000 free XP. Time to save up...
Jub
Sith Marauder

Post by Jub »

So after a long period of not playing, I've come back to WoWS again. Picking up where I left off I jumped into the König; game one was not great, especially since I had a hitch loading in and only played half the match, it was close but we threw the game and lost. Game 2 resulted in this:

I don't think it's that impressive but I wouldn't have called getting a Kraken in my second game back.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Nicely done!

I've finally unlocked the Ryujo. It's nice to have manual drop back, but less nice to discover that I absolutely suck at CVs, or at least hate playing them.

Next stop is the last 10k XP from the Yorck to the Hipper, if I have enough self control to not buy the SabaTank.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Venator wrote: 2017-08-19 09:47am Next stop is the last 10k XP from the Yorck to the Hipper, if I have enough self control to not buy the SabaTank.
Ugh... the Yorck. I'm glad I've spend the last 10k XP with free XP because that was just a horrible cruiser. I just got the Hipper and even in stock figuration its feels miles better.

PS. I'm weak and got the Sabaton tank, although I'm glad to say it's awesome (or at least fitting my playstyle better than the Chrystler, with which I can't seem to get a good winrate with).
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

wautd wrote: 2017-08-21 07:29am
Venator wrote: 2017-08-19 09:47am Next stop is the last 10k XP from the Yorck to the Hipper, if I have enough self control to not buy the SabaTank.
Ugh... the Yorck. I'm glad I've spend the last 10k XP with free XP because that was just a horrible cruiser. I just got the Hipper and even in stock figuration its feels miles better.

PS. I'm weak and got the Sabaton tank, although I'm glad to say it's awesome (or at least fitting my playstyle better than the Chrystler, with which I can't seem to get a good winrate with).
I actually love the Yorck. It excelled in the tier 7 season of Ranked the most, but using it's combination of Krupptanium rounds and way higher-than-normal arcs for 200+mm guns, I find I can work a lot of scenarios quite well. The AA and slow reload are definitely limiting, though.

I'm sitting at something like 54 or 58% WR in the Chrysler, but the tanks I really enjoy are the ridgeline-worker support mediums, so it's very tempting to basically have a Centurion with a ridiculous turret.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Having just tested the Lion on PTS I can say that the ship is super strong and almost retard-proof.

WG needs to nerf the whole British line before release IMO, they are way too strong.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I don't really want to comment much about this as a few friends of mine are possibly caught within the fallout, but here is the gist of what is currently happening:

1. Wargaming released a premium carrier, the Graf Zeppelin, that is currently unfinished. DO NOT BUY THE SHIP. It is the worst ship in the game and would struggle even at T6. So naturally Greedgaming are charging 50-100 EUR for it.
2. When ichase pointed out how horrible this ship is (link here) and called for whoever made the release decision to be fired he got removed from the community contributor program.
2.a) Farazelleth, one of the top 20 CV players on EU, released his opinion of it here. Go watch it. Short and precise.
3. WG Asia released a statement basically saying the ship is fine and the people who suck in her just need to git gud.
3.a) This was not well received by the super unicums who did not manage to do anything in her.
4. WG EU released a statement that the ship was not rushed. In the same statement they said that one of the loadouts of the ship was not finished yet, thus confirming the ship indeed was rushed.
5. Community has got its pitchforks out.
6. In response to the criticism one of the WG EU community managers told them to watch the new gamescon livestream.
7. Said gamescon livestream manages to ignore the entire chat filled with nothing but Zeppelin questions and basically spents the whole hour hyping up the new British BBs.
8. Community is now lighting torches to go with the pitchforks.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote: 2017-08-26 12:51pm I don't really want to comment much about this as a few friends of mine are possibly caught within the fallout, but here is the gist of what is currently happening:

1. Wargaming released a premium carrier, the Graf Zeppelin, that is currently unfinished. DO NOT BUY THE SHIP. It is the worst ship in the game and would struggle even at T6. So naturally Greedgaming are charging 50-100 EUR for it.
2. When ichase pointed out how horrible this ship is (link here) and called for whoever made the release decision to be fired he got removed from the community contributor program.
2.a) Farazelleth, one of the top 20 CV players on EU, released his opinion of it here. Go watch it. Short and precise.
3. WG Asia released a statement basically saying the ship is fine and the people who suck in her just need to git gud.
3.a) This was not well received by the super unicums who did not manage to do anything in her.
4. WG EU released a statement that the ship was not rushed. In the same statement they said that one of the loadouts of the ship was not finished yet, thus confirming the ship indeed was rushed.
5. Community has got its pitchforks out.
6. In response to the criticism one of the WG EU community managers told them to watch the new gamescon livestream.
7. Said gamescon livestream manages to ignore the entire chat filled with nothing but Zeppelin questions and basically spents the whole hour hyping up the new British BBs.
8. Community is now lighting torches to go with the pitchforks.
At least they didn't try to copyright-strike Notser or iChase... that appears to have been the single, solitary thing they learned from Fochgate/Chryslergate.

From what I hear they're now offering full refunds on the GZ, and promising upcoming buffs/changes, and offering people who bought it a special camo as a "sorry you spent lots of hard-earned cash on this unfinished POS".
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yeah, but of course we had to go through almost a week of people getting shit on by greedgaming as "not being good enough" before WG did the minimum that was expected of them.
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote: 2017-08-28 07:11pm Yeah, but of course we had to go through almost a week of people getting shit on by greedgaming as "not being good enough" before WG did the minimum that was expected of them.
Yeah, but it's Wargaming. Before they get out of the hot tub of unicorn blood to get around to addressing things, they have to make sure there are fresh flayed-orphan-skin towels ready.
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Can I said I'm extremely bothered by the Conqueror's "historical design date"? If they want to make something up fine. Don't pretend like it's a real thing.
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

ray245 wrote: 2017-09-01 12:03pm Can I said I'm extremely bothered by the Conqueror's "historical design date"? If they want to make something up fine. Don't pretend like it's a real thing.
Eh at least it is a semi-real design unlike the GK.

As for my opinion of the British line so far:
- Tier 5 is....meh. I got decent dmg for T5 in her (67k avg) but shitty winrate (8/17 games, 48%). Maybe it was the MM or the dozen other T5 BBs in queue. But I can't say I was enaarmored by her, she seemed very underwhelming. I only cracked 100k 4 times in her. The worst thing about her was her AP being so shitty, which put me in such a shitty mood yesterday that I just ragequit and auto-declined any div invite because I would not be fun to be around.
- Tier 6 is a good ship. 75% winrate, 85k avg dmg so far, which is what I would consider good for a T6. Though she isn't as accurate as warspite and has worse AP, she is a ship with decent firepower.
------------
------------
My LPs
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Thanas wrote: 2017-09-01 07:47pm
ray245 wrote: 2017-09-01 12:03pm Can I said I'm extremely bothered by the Conqueror's "historical design date"? If they want to make something up fine. Don't pretend like it's a real thing.
Eh at least it is a semi-real design unlike the GK.
The GK even if it is a fake design, is still based on an attempt to design something. Saying the British were somehow still designing Battleships in 1949 is just giving people false ideas about the role of battleships post-WW2.

Also, has anyone been able to activate the training rooms? I'm trying to recreate the Battle of Jutland (even if a number of ships are missing from the game).
Humans are such funny creatures. We are selfish about selflessness, yet we can love something so much that we can hate something.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

ray245 wrote: 2017-09-01 07:57pm The GK even if it is a fake design, is still based on an attempt to design something. Saying the British were somehow still designing Battleships in 1949 is just giving people false ideas about the role of battleships post-WW2.
Well the design I think was originally from 1935 iirc.
Also, has anyone been able to activate the training rooms? I'm trying to recreate the Battle of Jutland (even if a number of ships are missing from the game).
You need a mod for that.
------------
------------
My LPs
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Is it me or did loading times to get in a game take longer than usual these days?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

wautd wrote: 2017-09-02 05:55am Is it me or did loading times to get in a game take longer than usual these days?

Do a file integrity check, WG in their usual competence fucked up many files with the patch.

Be warned though that this takes a lot of time.
------------
------------
My LPs
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

wautd wrote: 2017-09-02 05:55am Is it me or did loading times to get in a game take longer than usual these days?
edit: nevermind, I guess it's just when picking a low tier British BB
ray245
Emperor's Hand

Post by ray245 »

Thanas wrote: 2017-09-02 03:23am You need a mod for that.
Tried it. Doesn't really work. Something about the new interface making it a problem.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

ray245 wrote: 2017-09-03 12:44pm
Thanas wrote: 2017-09-02 03:23am You need a mod for that.
Tried it. Doesn't really work. Something about the new interface making it a problem.
Try aslains it works. I know because I use it almost every day.
------------
------------
My LPs
Eternal_Freedom
Castellan

Post by Eternal_Freedom »

Can the game engine even support 44 battleships, 14 battlecruisers and about 250 cruisers and destroyers slugging it out?
Baltar: "I don't want to miss a moment of the last Battlestar's destruction!"
Centurion: "Sir, I really think you should look at the other Battlestar."
Baltar: "What are you babbling about other...it's impossible!"
Centurion: "No. It is a Battlestar."

Corrax Entry 7:17: So you walk eternally through the shadow realms, standing against evil where all others falter. May your thirst for retribution never quench, may the blood on your sword never dry, and may we never need you again.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Eternal_Freedom wrote: 2017-09-03 12:53pm Can the game engine even support 44 battleships, 14 battlecruisers and about 250 cruisers and destroyers slugging it out?
If you hook it up to one of IBMs supercomputers maybe....
------------
------------
My LPs
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Help me decide my first tier 9 ship because I'm tight on money. The Baltimore or the Iowa?
The Iowa is probably one of the best ships in game tier for tier, but perhaps it'll be redundant once I got the Missouri?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

wautd wrote: 2017-09-05 03:10am Help me decide my first tier 9 ship because I'm tight on money. The Baltimore or the Iowa?
The Iowa is probably one of the best ships in game tier for tier, but perhaps it'll be redundant once I got the Missouri?
The Baltimore is the hardest cruiser to play in the game IMO. She needs the reload mod which screws her range. On the plus side, she got awesome shells that do great AP dmg.

The Iowa is great. She is IMO the strongest T9 BB after the Missouri. And after the citadel buff (which was totally unnecessary) she is not only the tankiest T9, no she has the best AA and the best accuracy to boost. She has few weaknessess left. And the T10, the Montana, is probably the strongest BB I own right now (don't have the conqueror yet).
------------
------------
My LPs
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Thanas wrote: 2017-09-05 09:18am
wautd wrote: 2017-09-05 03:10am Help me decide my first tier 9 ship because I'm tight on money. The Baltimore or the Iowa?
The Baltimore is the hardest cruiser to play in the game IMO.
Yikes, even compared with the Pepsicola? I guess it's Iowa first then.

PS. Did you kept your North Carolina?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I keep all my ships because I have no need whatsoever for the credits. I like to play the NC from time to time as well.
------------
------------
My LPs