World of Warships

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: World of Warships

Post by Thanas »

What is so invisible about them?

Everybody who follows the news knows about the special features of any upcoming premium ship.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote: 2017-07-19 05:50am
Venator wrote: 2017-07-18 09:48pm
Thanas wrote: 2017-07-18 02:08pm Because wargaming does not model hull-mounted torps except for one ship.
That being the Mutsu, correct? Would be nice if they expanded their availability.
Nah, they are stupid. You have to go full broadside noob to shoot them, thus you get wrecked (because slow BB = long time broadside) and they only do about 6k dmg per torpedo.
Doesn't have to be on a BB, or necessarily fixed broadside mounted. I don't know if there are historical examples of obliquely angled, broadside, or even directly forward fixed-mount tubes, but those on a destroyer or cruiser would be a very interesting addition (or on a BB for prow-firing tubes).
80% winrate, have only lost one star so far. But I just don't like the gameplay...ugh.
Constraining it to tier 6 all the way up makes for some interesting gameplay... at first. But I feel like there's a real lack of diversity after a while.

At tier 6, there are 28 ships to chose from... but only 18 are non-premium. And I have literally never seen a German or Russian DD in Ranked, nor have I seen a Russian cruiser of any description more than 2-3 times.
Steel
Jedi Master

Post by Steel »

Thanas wrote: 2017-07-19 08:11pm What is so invisible about them?

Everybody who follows the news knows about the special features of any upcoming premium ship.
I mean invisible in the sense of not-visible. Every other ship has visible launchers, and is of a class that could be expected to have torpedoes.

Here, you have a battleship just plodding along, and then all of a sudden it poops some torpedoes out of a side compartment.

Even if a given player does follow the news about newly released ships, someone who has only started playing recently won't have seen the details at the time the ship was actually released. Given that there are about a hundred boats to go through, it is going to take a significant length of time for a new player to even read through a list of all the names, let alone know all the features of every obscure premium ship.
Apparently nobody can see you without a signature.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

New Dunkerque camo looks good but does nothing special.
Same stats as the standard camo
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Elheru Aran
Emperor's Hand

Post by Elheru Aran »

... I assume here 'camo' is just 'paintjob' because I'm not sure how that sucker is hiding anywhere except maybe a flower-field...
It's a strange world. Let's keep it that way.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Elheru Aran wrote: 2017-07-20 07:25pm ... I assume here 'camo' is just 'paintjob' because I'm not sure how that sucker is hiding anywhere except maybe a flower-field...
It can pass as both a French nationalist and an antifa as required, great for military parades/anti-military demonstrations.

Though in honesty the standard camo literally highlights the prime area of the hull to shoot, whereas this one disrupts it. Sort of.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Venator wrote: 2017-07-20 08:32pm
Elheru Aran wrote: 2017-07-20 07:25pm ... I assume here 'camo' is just 'paintjob' because I'm not sure how that sucker is hiding anywhere except maybe a flower-field...
It can pass as both a French nationalist and an antifa as required, great for military parades/anti-military demonstrations.

Though in honesty the standard camo literally highlights the prime area of the hull to shoot, whereas this one disrupts it. Sort of.

Nah, it just highlights the most vulnerable part of any BB armor, directly underneath the turrets. :)
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Now shooting for 444.

EDIT: Also Kurfürst looks awesome in Dunkirk harbor link.
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote: 2017-07-21 02:59pm Image
Now shooting for 444.

EDIT: Also Kurfürst looks awesome in Dunkirk harbor link.
Nice. If that thing had actually existed, they could have probably stopped the evacuation by simply parking it in the way of the evacuation fleet. Most of the civilian boats would have run out of fuel before they could get around it...

In seriousness though, the Dunkirk scenario is harrowing and edgy in a way no PvE encounter in a Wargaming title has any right to be. The amount of work they did - map, ships and boats, planes - is astonishing. Nice rewards, too, even if the final campaign reward is very different from the previous Bismarck campaign... less cool, more useful.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

The captain you get from the dunkirk collection is awesome on Minotaur.
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote: 2017-07-24 05:30pm The captain you get from the dunkirk collection is awesome on Minotaur.
Is he functionally any different from another 10-point UK captain? I would figure most people with Minotaurs would have at least a 13-pointer.

Considering I'd be putting him in an Emerald or Leander at most, it'll be handy either way.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I'm going to save mine and stick him in the UK battleship line, myself. Just like I'm saving the ten pointer German I got awhile back for when German battlecruisers eventually crop up.

(thanks to Scharnhorst, I have a couple BB captains already really well trained and I already have a ten pointer on Konigsberg and a 12 pointer on Hipper)
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

So I logged in today to play a bit for the first time in several months and earned up a few containers.

wew

just 650k more to go for Missouri
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Venator wrote: 2017-07-24 10:35pm
Thanas wrote: 2017-07-24 05:30pm The captain you get from the dunkirk collection is awesome on Minotaur.
Is he functionally any different from another 10-point UK captain?

He has a buff to three abilities:
If you skill expert marksmen = +50% rotation on top of the normal buff
jack of all trades = -10 to reload time of consumables instead of -5 normal
smoke screen expert = +30% smoke area instead of +20% normal

I don't use expert marksmen on MInotaur but the last two are awesome.

I would figure most people with Minotaurs would have at least a 13-pointer.
I had a 19 pointer but since I have so much elite captain XP saved up (made like 3 mil in the last 14 days thanks to the x3 weekend) I just levelled him to 19. And the original 19 point minotaur will just become my British DD captain when that line comes (already have two different 19 pointers for British BBs).
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote: 2017-07-25 04:40am
Venator wrote: 2017-07-24 10:35pm
Is he functionally any different from another 10-point UK captain?

He has a buff to three abilities:
If you skill expert marksmen = +50% rotation on top of the normal buff
jack of all trades = -10 to reload time of consumables instead of -5 normal
smoke screen expert = +30% smoke area instead of +20% normal

I don't use expert marksmen on MInotaur but the last two are awesome.
Welp. That's phenomenal. Also, Smoke Screen Expert? y u no colonize?
I would figure most people with Minotaurs would have at least a 13-pointer.
I had a 19 pointer but since I have so much elite captain XP saved up (made like 3 mil in the last 14 days thanks to the x3 weekend) I just levelled him to 19. And the original 19 point minotaur will just become my British DD captain when that line comes (already have two different 19 pointers for British BBs).
Do you actually enjoy WoWS or do you just do it to make us plebs feel utterly inferior? :lol:
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Thanas:"I actually enjoy it. Also, here is another pair of my replays that made it to the "Best of..." youtube channel"
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Venator wrote: 2017-07-25 11:40am
Welp. That's phenomenal. Also, Smoke Screen Expert? y u no colonize?
Because I like to live longer than five seconds and not depend on DDs for my survival.
Do you actually enjoy WoWS or do you just do it to make us plebs feel utterly inferior? :lol:
Lol I was the biggest potato ever at the start, so don't be discouraged. :)
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

I decided to scoop up the Gallant and I'm instantly in love. It's actually doesn't feel much better for Dynamo/Dunkirk than the two stock DDs, but it is an absolute monster of a DD. Stock, it already had the best turning circle and rudder shift at tier... with Steering Gears Mod 2 and the 2.4s rudder shift, it absolutely dances. The AA is hilariously bad, the guns are OK, an the torps are slow to reload, but the overall package plays exactly how I want a destroyer to.

I'll probably play the Dunkirk captain in her once acquired, right now I'm using the, er, Dunkirk (Anthony) captain so I have a bunch of useless-for-PVP skills and no Concealment Expert, but I'm still enjoying it immensely.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

also if you use that captain in her you get free elite captain XP as he is max level.

HOWEVER: Why would you put that captain on a DD? His skills are literally useless for a DD. Better save him for the BBS (EM and JoaT) or transfer him to minotaur (JoaT, SSE).
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote: 2017-07-25 05:02pm also if you use that captain in her you get free elite captain XP as he is max level.

HOWEVER: Why would you put that captain on a DD? His skills are literally useless for a DD. Better save him for the BBS (EM and JoaT) or transfer him to minotaur (JoaT, SSE).
Short term solution to having a decent captain for Ranked; my only other UK captain is 5 points (Emerald). Eventually, I'll re-spec him for Minotaur or BB line duty.
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

I couldn't play world of tanks anymore without the XVM mod. Is there a handy legal modpack for WoW too to recommend?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yes, aslains.
------------
------------
My LPs
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Thanas wrote: 2017-07-26 08:27amYes, aslains.
Well I've just downloaded but there seems to be a million and one options and mods. Which settings would you recommend? Is there also an option which automatically switches you captain when you want to change between premium and standard ships?
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

Do we get to keep the Dunkirk captain after the event ends? I threw him on my Warspite
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Lonestar wrote: 2017-07-31 01:30pm Do we get to keep the Dunkirk captain after the event ends? I threw him on my Warspite
Of course not.

wautd wrote: 2017-07-31 12:37pm
Thanas wrote: 2017-07-26 08:27amYes, aslains.
Well I've just downloaded but there seems to be a million and one options and mods. Which settings would you recommend?
Well the ones I recommend is the sniper mod (I use the x20), the shell colours by anthropologe, movement indicator with smoke indicator and monstromarkers.
Is there also an option which automatically switches you captain when you want to change between premium and standard ships?
Nope.
------------
------------
My LPs