World of Warships

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

atg
Jedi Master

Re: World of Warships

Post by atg »

I absolutely love the Dunkerque.

Personally speaking the best way I've found to play it is to do exactly what you've said at the beginning of a round - sit bow on alternating between 1/4 forward and reverse using the 35% fire chance HE on enemy BBs. Once things start to spread out and you can pick when and where you engage you can use your speed to hunt down the best targets (cruisers or Kongos/Fusos) or go to where your team needs help.
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Dunkerque is awesome though I never bother with HE. I always get into a position to fire AP and that works out just fine :)

Obligatory:
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Ah yes I love Eurobeat (or Yuro or whatever he's calling himself) I bought the Dunk after watching that video :D
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

I presume you've seen his original Tirpitz video too?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Yes.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Thanas wrote:Cruiser flamethrower spam is just fine because without it high tier cruisers (except minotaur and hindenburg) are screwed.
Well several battles tonight have highlighted my hatred for the HE fire spam.

Meet enemy cruiser. His first salvo set two fires on me. Use DC party. DC expires, next salvo from the cruiser set another two fires on me. Have to wait for this to expire while using repair party to limit damage. Fires burn out. Next salvo from the cruiser sets three fires. Watch my HP burn down until I die. This is with using premium consumables too.

Maybe I'm just unlucky but I find this situation very common and its very frustrating when there is literally nothing you can do but watch your HP go down for ~40seconds a pop.

It wouldn't even need to remove the fires... maybe just reduce the damage they do or limit fires to 1 or 2 instead of 3...
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

atg wrote:
Thanas wrote:Cruiser flamethrower spam is just fine because without it high tier cruisers (except minotaur and hindenburg) are screwed.
Well several battles tonight have highlighted my hatred for the HE fire spam.

Meet enemy cruiser. His first salvo set two fires on me. Use DC party. DC expires, next salvo from the cruiser set another two fires on me. Have to wait for this to expire while using repair party to limit damage. Fires burn out. Next salvo from the cruiser sets three fires. Watch my HP burn down until I die. This is with using premium consumables too.

Maybe I'm just unlucky but I find this situation very common and its very frustrating when there is literally nothing you can do but watch your HP go down for ~40seconds a pop.

It wouldn't even need to remove the fires... maybe just reduce the damage they do or limit fires to 1 or 2 instead of 3...

How do you think he feels when a broadside from you takes away half his health forever?

Besides there is plenty of counterplay.

First, captain skills. Take high alert and Jack of all trades.
Second, use DC II and BOS. Together with the flag the fires will last only very little.
And you can repair all the fire damage.
------------
------------
My LPs
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Fire is utterly pathetic and not an issue for high tier battleships.
The trick is to just... stay on fire. Attack, and disengage. A repair party will fully heal all fire damage. If you have 2+ fires, then consider using your repair as you're going to disengage.

Against a cruiser, you'll be winning the shoot out if she sticks around to exchange HE vs your BB AP.

I lose vastly more battleships to enemy BB AP fire or Torpedo attack than cruiser HE.

Ever play Tier8+ Cruisers? A single volley can ALWAYS destroy over 70% of your health from any angle. With little you can do about it, because BB accuracy, range and firepower skyrocket at that level, while cruiser survivability isn't much better than T6 or 7.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Unless of course he is a Zao.
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Worth examining - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvBPiCNF1oM @ 11 mins.

New WoT mechanics allow you to see exactly where damage comes from, with no indication about range - useful but doesn't allow you to know where a target is on that linear axis.
Having not used the test server to see the WoWS skill which tracks targetting rather than damage, I don't know if it works like this, but I feel like the new DD playstyle is going to be either (a) jumping between targets, (b) not keeping targets locked, and (c) only flashing the lock when firing torpedoes and then moving away.

Unless it shows the direction you're being spotted from rather than locked on from, in which case ignore me and fuck WG, etc.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Venator wrote:Unless it shows the direction you're being spotted from rather than locked on from, in which case ignore me and fuck WG, etc.

That is it, it also allows you to angle vs torps and never take one.
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote:
Venator wrote:Unless it shows the direction you're being spotted from rather than locked on from, in which case ignore me and fuck WG, etc.

That is it, it also allows you to angle vs torps and never take one.
:shock:

I give it a week of them looking at player retention stats before they nerf it. Or till someone from the WoT team responsible for banning mods to stroll across the office and start attacking people with a crowbar...
Imperial528
Jedi Council Member

Post by Imperial528 »

Venator wrote:Worth examining - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvBPiCNF1oM @ 11 mins.

New WoT mechanics allow you to see exactly where damage comes from, with no indication about range - useful but doesn't allow you to know where a target is on that linear axis.
The precursor to that system already exists in WoWS as the red/black arcs that appear when taking hits (pen or bounce respectively) comes directly from WoT, and the fire direction indicator is basically the same system but more exact, not enough to tell you what you wouldn't already know however, i.e. you're being shot at from thataway.
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

Got my first tier X. The gearing. Not sure I like it more than my fletcher
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

Gearing seems to lose so much of the Fletcher's nice softer stats. The distributed guns, the stealth, the maneuverability... in exchange for sidegrade torps (better torps, able to use torp accel, worse reload) and better frontal/broadside guns.

Is that how it's seemed to you?
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Gearing is a fletcher on roids, as in that it pushes some of the best Fletcher traits into next level territory but loses a lot of the stats that were decent on Fletcher. I think the gun range is the real issue. But that being said, she is an amazing destroyer.

Though I do not like her more than my fletcher tbh.
------------
------------
My LPs
Agent Fisher
Rabid Monkey

Post by Agent Fisher »

She just feels alot fatter, slower than a Fletcher to me. I don't know, maybe cause I didn't stick my fletcher skipper into her, she seems less to me. Honestly, think I'll stick with the Fletcher as my main top teir DD. After all, it's the ship I wanted to play more than any other.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

The Kamikaze will no longer be available for purchase soon, so I went ahead and got a deluxe package of it, which also put me over the number of doubloons needed to afford an Atlanta.

Man the Atlanta is...an irritating ship for a lot of people I imagine
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Lonestar wrote:Man the Atlanta is...an irritating ship for a lot of people I imagine
dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka dakka
Nephtys
Sith Acolyte

Post by Nephtys »

I love running into Atlantas in the Edinbrough or Fiji. We exchange a wall of fire. She sinks from being AP penned. I repair the piddly HE and fire damage with no sweat.

How on Earth is the Atlanta higher tier than the Cleveland, which has an Atlanta worth of firepower stapled to her sides...
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Most people do not know how to play the Atlanta.
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Nephtys wrote:I love running into Atlantas in the Edinbrough or Fiji. We exchange a wall of fire. She sinks from being AP penned. I repair the piddly HE and fire damage with no sweat.

How on Earth is the Atlanta higher tier than the Cleveland, which has an Atlanta worth of firepower stapled to her sides...
Thanas wrote:Most people do not know how to play the Atlanta.
In a nutshell. Most players overcommit - or at least overcommit way too early. The hellacious ROF of her guns, agility, and very fast, dense torp spreads let you bail yourself out of serious apparent mismatches at close range, but a lot of people assume that's carte blanche to YOLO at every opportunity rather than a toolbox for after you've singled out and weakened targets using the concealment, compact maneuverability, and taste-the-rainbow gun arcs from further out.

A lot of donkeys also either fail to use AP at all, or fail to use it appropriately - just because there are montages of Atlanta players getting 8-12 citadels per volley against nearby cruisers doesn't mean you're going to have any fun at all throwing 127mm AP at something not obligingly sailing at a 90D angle under 4km.
Lonestar
Keeper of the Schwartz

Post by Lonestar »

This round really pissed me off

We had a North Carolina that was afk for a good 5 minutes at the start. I had to keep my bow pointed at an Amagi and managed to cit it twice, while avoiding being cross-thatched by a pair of DDs . Took out a pepsicola with rear guns before a DD finally got me.

The North Carolina in question proceeded to present this Amagi with less than 10k hp with it's broadside repeatedly and would miss with anything over 5km or so . The Amagi basically shot to pieces a cherry NC even as it was limping along on nearly dead.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Probably a bot, if it makes you feel better. AFKing until something starts shooting at it or gets obnoxiously close, and missing inexcusable shots.
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

On the other hand, some NorCar drivers really are that bad. One of my favorite matches consisted of trolling in Amagi and taking down three of them from near-full health and one nearly taken down before he ran...

Because they all kept showing broadside to me. Repeatedly.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE