World of Warships

GEC: Discuss gaming, computers and electronics and venture into the bizarre world of STGODs.

Moderator: Thanas

Thanas
Magister
Magister

Re: World of Warships

Post by Thanas »

Borgholio wrote:I wouldn't mind an Admiral class battlecruiser. Then you could recreate the historic Bismarck vs Hood engagement.

Im gonna bet you the price of a T7/8 premium right now that the Hood will be released as a T7/8 premium.
Whoever says "education does not matter" can try ignorance
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
Skywalker_T-65
Jedi Council Member

Post by Skywalker_T-65 »

I've said elsewhere that both Germany and Britain have enough battlecruiser designs to make trees up to at least T8 or so, if not full trees (G3 in particular is, if modernized, certainly T9 material). They're the only nations that do though, so while I could see them getting battlecruiser lines, I rather doubt stuff like the Lexington would.

This said, being as Saratoga is my favorite ship period, I'd buy a battlecruiser Lexington- which may fall under her name, or Constellation -premium in a heartbeat. Even though she'd be a paper tiger with that lack of armor.
SDNW5: Republic of Arcadia...Sweden in SPAAACE
Sea Skimmer
Yankee Capitalist Air Pirate

Post by Sea Skimmer »

G3 was inferior to the Lion in every possible way except maximum thickness of deck armor over magazines, which is more then acceptable trade off for having a worthwhile armor belt height, and speed, which frankly wouldn't have mattered much in real life or this game since it was still pretty high. G3s would have been fatally vulnerable to hits under the belt. That's rather key to why they look so impressive. They skimped in key areas. Very narrow belt, most of the ship has 3.5in deck armor, leaving it exposed to just about everything in WW2. The Nelson class partly mitigated the belt height issue, but it is not for nothing that the KGV class went on to have a exceptionally high belt. Since WoW generally tries, if poorly, to allow realistic penetration, while granting some ships exceptionally absurdo guns, this would not make for impressive warship.

The main problem would be after the letter series ships of the 1920s the British never designed anything seriously that was bigger then 40,000 tons, unless you count one or two hybrid ships with only six guns. You'd have to adapt the K3 (or L series, 13in deck armor!) to be a tier 10 I suppose, which would be a bit weird and lightly protected for the class, but entirely workable and a cool design. Its like Hood, but with a real deck and 9x18in guns. This was the ship the British would have built had they owned dry docks big enough; G3 and N3 are the result of splitting that ship back down into two classes that would more easily fit existing docks and slipways.

Isn't in question that WoWs creators are aware of these designs, they consulted with the right people at an early stage, but who knows what they'll do.

I'd totally love seeing the German P battlecruisers in the game, so they can get super vaporized. Heavy cruiser armor, half a battleship armament, speed of a destroyer, target size of all three types stacked together!
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
— Field Marshal William Slim 1956
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

Venator wrote:[
- 6"/152mm guns all the way up to at least Tier 8, possibly up to Tier 10. Expect accuracy, fast traverse, and fast fire speed to make up for the anaemic caliber. So... basically, the WoT British heavy tanks all over again.
That would be dumb, if they go that way..ugh reminds me not to play. They are willing to make ships from scratch, the British had 8in and 9.2in cruiser projects in WW2. Sadly the Warships Project Forum imploded for the third time a few years ago or it would be much easier to direct people to said ships, I have them in books and saved files. But said forum also had a few people WoW consulted with back before the third disaster, so they know...

Jingles points out that the Brits only ever built 3 classes of heavy cruisers. So, we're either getting a second cruiser line of Battlecruisers (unlikely, since all existing BCs have ended up as BBs in-game), or we can expect at least one British CA as a tier 7-8 premium.
Jingles is not a great source. If you asked the Royal Navy it built zero classes of heavy cruiser, because the classification did not exist at the time any such ships were built. If you asked them how many classes of trade protection cruisers it built with 7.5in and 8in guns then the answer is five. But the British also had at least three unbuilt classes with 8in that were developed enough to be built, plus two or three with 9.2in guns, close to what the Russian Tier X has, and the Surrey and Northumberland with 8in guns actually got specific hull names. Cancelled in 1930 with material ordered. They would have had actual armor. Far more realistic then say, nerfed H-44 being in game lol.

If the Wow folk decide to ignore all this in favor of something as dumb as a Tier X Neptune, even though the original stock game had made up shit, then I really give up. Its only going to make for ever more balance problems and retarded gameplay tweaks to try to fix problems that should not exist. Bigger guns rule the damn waves..that was the whole point. It only stopped because aircraft were just far superior in turn, nothing making the big gun actually less effective at what it did! The British tier X should have 9.2in guns.

Anyway the important thing is that the seven turret Dido is a Tier VIII Premium! I might buy that, but only if one torpedo always sinks it.
"This cult of special forces is as sensible as to form a Royal Corps of Tree Climbers and say that no soldier who does not wear its green hat with a bunch of oak leaves stuck in it should be expected to climb a tree"
wautd
Emperor's Hand

Post by wautd »

Never really gotten into WoW (at least not compared with WoT) but with the German BB's released I've picked this game up again. I'd love to drive the Bismarck some day because its one of the prettiest (and therefore bestest) ships of the game. I'll probably keep a slot for the Nassau because damn that ones kicking some serious ass. Actually, the lower tier matches/ships seem more enjoyable than the high tier games. I've never passed tier 6 yet because I'm too fond to sell some of my favorite ships and didn't wanted to buy gold for more space yet.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Nassau is highly effective. Definitely the only tier 3 BB that's actually enjoyable. The lightning-quick (relatively) reload is a big part of that, as is the fact that at Tier 3 only having 11" guns does very little damage to your chances of scoring citadels.

I've only just dipped my toe into the line, 55k damage with the Nassau first game and 78k with the propulsion and range upgrades in the second.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

So the T10 german BBs are really great if you know how to play them. Sadly most do not. The German BBs are best at below 12 km, as that is where they cannot get citadelled and can citadel the Yama. But sadly most play them like ordinary BBs, meaning they snipe from 16+ km. Which is not the way to win in the ship.
------------
A decision must be made in the life of every nation at the very moment when the grasp of the enemy is at its throat. Then, it seems that the only way to survive is to use the means of the enemy, to rest survival upon what is expedient, to look the other way. Well, the answer to that is 'survival as what'? A country isn't a rock. It's not an extension of one's self. It's what it stands for. It's what it stands for when standing for something is the most difficult! - Chief Judge Haywood
------------
My LPs
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Oh man am I loving the Konig. The thing just deletes cruisers at short-to-medium range and can go toe to toe with BBs higher tier than it. I've only really struggled against the Nagato.
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

So it was the other day, but apparently world of warships thinks the Fuso has a magazine in the anchor chain locker, because I hit within 10 feet of the bowstem of one with a single Farragut torpedo at 5 degrees off center line, and he exploded. 39,000 damage, the only other damage on the ship was a few thousand points from five 5in shell hits a few seconds earlier. Historical forward!
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Lol, come back when you get detonated in Yamato by a single airdropped torpedo.
------------
------------
My LPs
Sea Skimmer

Post by Sea Skimmer »

That could always actually happen with a hit near a magazine, and at least in the case of Japanese torpedoes some of the late war aerial models far exceeded the rated resistance of the ship's flawed system. Not that it mattered since it was penetrated multiple times by warheads below the rating anyway. If I blowup a Yamato with one torpedo I'll be happy, but thanks for missing the point.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Sea Skimmer wrote:That could always actually happen with a hit near a magazine, and at least in the case of Japanese torpedoes some of the late war aerial models far exceeded the rated resistance of the ship's flawed system. Not that it mattered since it was penetrated multiple times by warheads below the rating anyway. If I blowup a Yamato with one torpedo I'll be happy, but thanks for missing the point.
If you were more familiar with the game client, you would know that it is really crappy and has tons of lag. So much lag and server desync that torpedoes can arrive out of nowhere, or that hits that did not hit the hitbox of a citadel suddenly become citadel hits even if the visuals do not match. It has got nothing to do with the designers being unable to read a diagram and more with server desync, which you should know by now just by playing the game. I have been detonated by torpedoes hitting my bow (far away from the magazine) and I have been citadelled even though shells hit nowhere near a citadel on my monitor.

See for example this: https://streamable.com/ta3d

Note how the torp hits him even though he is clearly out of the way. Same thing happened with the fuso in your example, just that instead of hitting the anchor (as depicted) you really hit the magazine (as registered on the server).

The game does not depict citadels where they did not exist in reality, save for a few ships for balance reasons. Fuso is not one of them.
------------
------------
My LPs
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

In lieu of making a crack about anime-style exploding anchor whip limit-break attacks... what Thanas said.

I suspect the EU server is run off a TI-83 graphing calculator since I've never had that "torps from nowhere" issue. I did suffer a citadel penetration to by floatplane fighter once, though.
U.P. Cinnabar
Sith Marauder

Post by U.P. Cinnabar »

Venator wrote:In lieu of making a crack about anime-style exploding anchor whip limit-break attacks... what Thanas said.

I suspect the EU server is run off a TI-83 graphing calculator since I've never had that "torps from nowhere" issue. I did suffer a citadel penetration to by floatplane fighter once, though.
"OMG, floatplanez iz so OP, plz nerf!!!" :lol:

I saw the clip, Thanas, that was a clean miss astern. Unless WoWships ported the skipper missile from Wing Commander, and didn't tell anyone.
"Beware the Beast, Man, for he is the Devil's pawn. Alone amongst God's primates, he kills for sport, for lust, for greed. Yea, he will murder his brother to possess his brother's land. Let him not breed in great numbers, for he will make a desert of his home and yours. Shun him, drive him back into his jungle lair, for he is the harbinger of Death.."
—29th Scroll, 6th Verse of Ape Law
"Indelible in the hippocampus is the laughter. The uproarious laughter between the two, and their having fun at my expense.”
---Doctor Christine Blasey-Ford
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

U.P. Cinnabar wrote:I saw the clip, Thanas, that was a clean miss astern.
It wasn't, that torp hit him. Only his computer failedd to tell the server that he had started moving much earlier due to server desync.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I have joined the ranks of cv players.

Playing at T9, currently holding a 87% WR.

And they say CVs are underpowered. The US ones are, but the IJN ones definitely are not.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

Solo warrior achievement is bugged. WG screwed me out of getting the most important medal in the game (would have been my second one) because their fucking servers cannot register it correctly. Their "response" was basically a "fuck you, have some flags which you would have gotten anyway and shut up".

See that massive display of excellence on WG's part here. Fuck them.
------------
------------
My LPs
atg
Jedi Master

Post by atg »

Picked up the Dunkerque and its eclipsed the Konig as my favourite BB to play, but man do you have to play it right and judge the time to act. When done right its a monster when tier 6 is the top in a match and even when facing Tier 8 ships you can sit back in a support role and fire its lolburn HE for laughs.
Marcus Aurelius: ...the Swedish S-tank; the exception is made mostly because the Swedes insisted really hard that it is a tank rather than a tank destroyer or assault gun
Ilya Muromets: And now I have this image of a massive, stern-looking Swede staring down a bunch of military nerds. "It's a tank." "Uh, yes Sir. Please don't hurt us."
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Thanas wrote:Solo warrior achievement is bugged. WG screwed me out of getting the most important medal in the game (would have been my second one) because their fucking servers cannot register it correctly. Their "response" was basically a "fuck you, have some flags which you would have gotten anyway and shut up".

See that massive display of excellence on WG's part here. Fuck them.
Honestly? They probably did everything they could. Unless WG has a catastrophic staff shortage, the poor shmuck monitoring the ticket line isn't responsible for the coding, and to keep the accountants happy, they're probably also not able to give very material rewards without checks and balances.

Could you imagine the alternative if he/she was having a shitty day and decided to quit in style? "Yeah, I know, lag sucks, have a Type 59." In response to a thousand different, mostly meaningless tickets.

That's not to say that (a) they shouldn't have fixed that code before, since they've known how to make Kolobanov's work for years, and (b) should offer 3 days premium/500 gold/a flag package from the shop instead of just the 10x Papa Papas.
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

http://worldofwarships.com/en/news/comm ... otes-0511/

Wasn't expecting this to come out so fast... should have grabbed the Blyskawica while I could :(.

Biggest stand-out change is Radar cooldown dropping from 360/240 to 180/120. lol DDs.

Epicenter looks interesting, but will have to wait till I actually play it to tell anything. New Kongo players will certainly be thrilled with the dreadful A hull being dropped entirely.
Luke Starkiller
Jedi Knight

Post by Luke Starkiller »

Venator wrote: Could you imagine the alternative if he/she was having a shitty day and decided to quit in style? "Yeah, I know, lag sucks, have a Type 59." In response to a thousand different, mostly meaningless tickets.
Actually, I think that that scenario is technically possible. Back during the first CW campaign there was a guy that was accidentally given an M60 before anybody else on the server because a rep misclicked when he put in a ticket to restore his Super Pershing. It was taken away from him after a day or two, which is exactly what would happen in the above case as well, but it is certainly plausible and would cause a PR shitstorm.
What kind of dark wizard in league with nameless forces of primordial evil ARE you that you can't even make a successful sanity check versus BOREDOM? - Red Mage
Venator
Jedi Knight

Post by Venator »

Luke Starkiller wrote:
Venator wrote: Could you imagine the alternative if he/she was having a shitty day and decided to quit in style? "Yeah, I know, lag sucks, have a Type 59." In response to a thousand different, mostly meaningless tickets.
Actually, I think that that scenario is technically possible. Back during the first CW campaign there was a guy that was accidentally given an M60 before anybody else on the server because a rep misclicked when he put in a ticket to restore his Super Pershing. It was taken away from him after a day or two, which is exactly what would happen in the above case as well, but it is certainly plausible and would cause a PR shitstorm.
Slow clap for Wargaming's support system. I hate to say it, but Level 1s exist for a reason.
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I mean...they cannot even be bothered to write proper English.
------------
------------
My LPs
Thanas
Magister
Magister

Post by Thanas »

I just did this in the bayern.

http://wowreplays.com/Replay/16364

Yep, 208k damage with a T6 in a T8 game.
------------
------------
My LPs
Reyvan
Youngling

Post by Reyvan »

Got my first Kraken Unleashed on my second match back after not touching the game for a month and a half.

The first kill was pretty easy, as an Omaha managed to beach itself right before I fired my first salvo at it. Besides that I got three destroyer kills, and two battleship kills. I went down in the last thirty seconds as two destroyers and two squadrons of torpedo bombers managed to gang up on me, though I managed to destroy one of the destroyers before I went down. The other hid in smoke after flooding me with a torpedo while while my repair was on cool down after dealing with flooding from the bombers.